Author Topic: Airport Customs  (Read 25565 times)

Offline cdc1505

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Airport Customs
« Reply #30 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 03:13 PM »
ako i bought a laptop 2 years ago in HK. when i was asked if i had something to declare, my wife blurted out that i bought a laptop :( customs was asking for a receipt which i said i threw away. the weird thing is, when i told them that i bought my laptop for 30k only (which really costs 80k) they told me that the tax was also 30k. and they mentioned that like its on the top of their head. so i went to a supervisor and the she gave me a discount of only 20k. I said i dont have that kind of money. they gave me another discount from 20 to 15, to 10k until they reached a $100. they said if i wont pay that, id have to leave my laptop. when i told them that's ok ill use my credit card, they said they accept cash only. they never gave me an official receipt and when i was getting the names of the people who flagged me, they were hiding their name plates.

im just curious if this was really legit and that i had to pay tax, how come they had to give me several discounts for it. another is that they dont accept credit cards even if they had a POS machine. also, there was no receipt given. the thing here is i never believed the customs official who flagged me and i went ahead and looked for a supervisor and manager. but i guess all of them are corrupt.

Offline glacierfrost

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 04:16 PM »
ako i bought a laptop 2 years ago in HK. when i was asked if i had something to declare, my wife blurted out that i bought a laptop :( customs was asking for a receipt which i said i threw away. the weird thing is, when i told them that i bought my laptop for 30k only (which really costs 80k) they told me that the tax was also 30k. and they mentioned that like its on the top of their head. so i went to a supervisor and the she gave me a discount of only 20k. I said i dont have that kind of money. they gave me another discount from 20 to 15, to 10k until they reached a $100. they said if i wont pay that, id have to leave my laptop. when i told them that's ok ill use my credit card, they said they accept cash only. they never gave me an official receipt and when i was getting the names of the people who flagged me, they were hiding their name plates.

im just curious if this was really legit and that i had to pay tax, how come they had to give me several discounts for it. another is that they dont accept credit cards even if they had a POS machine. also, there was no receipt given. the thing here is i never believed the customs official who flagged me and i went ahead and looked for a supervisor and manager. but i guess all of them are corrupt.

Lesson: Don't declare anything with our customs people. This is one of the many agencies that is really shameless and corrupt. Kakahiya talaga officials natin. Specially kung kinukwento ng mga friends na galing ibang bansa kung paano nagmemerry christmas yung mga customs people. Parang mga "beggars" daw sila, kakahiya....

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #32 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 04:19 PM »

Obviously you were conned.. Sana sinabi mo personal na gamit mo yong laptop.. and you have been using it during your trip. 
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline Mr.H

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 05:27 PM »
Lesson: Don't declare anything with our customs people. This is one of the many agencies that is really shameless and corrupt. Kakahiya talaga officials natin. Specially kung kinukwento ng mga friends na galing ibang bansa kung paano nagmemerry christmas yung mga customs people. Parang mga "beggars" daw sila, kakahiya....

naku totoo yan hehehe...nakakahiya talaga lalu na sa mga tourist na galing jan satin, garapalan daw manghingi sa airport hindi lang mga taga customs...pati yung nsa ibang department pati. nanghihingi talaga!!!  >:(

ang masasabi ko naman sa natatandaan ko nung time ni president erap dati... nag oofer na yung katabi ko sa isang custom examiner talagang ayaw namang "tumanggap"!!! (ksi naman may order yata si erap na kapag nahulihan na nanghihingi ay tatangalin sa trabaho!!!) hahahaha....  ;D

sana ganun lagi ang mga taga airport natin.  :D
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2008 at 05:32 PM by Mr.H »
PMC / SVS PB-12 / Paradigm / Rotel RSX / Vincent CDT/Castle Power LC /Mr.H PowerCords / Emotiva XP-5

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #34 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 09:30 PM »
Obviously you were conned.. Sana sinabi mo personal na gamit mo yong laptop.. and you have been using it during your trip. 

I agree with you Sir oReOsHaKe! ;) I had my mom and dad buy me a laptop in the U.S. I told them to take it out of the packaging/box. When they arrived here, same case, they asked them if they had bought that abroad and if it was brand new. Good thing my dad said that it was a company laptop for his personal use when travelling. ;D They didn't charge anything and just let them pass thru... ;D

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #35 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 09:46 PM »
If you have any comments, suggestions of feedback, email them at [email protected]

Regarding the laptop, officially you should declare your laptop upon your departure, there are Customs officers right after the first security check, all you have to do is fill up a form that you will be bringing out and in your personal laptop, so when you get back you will not be questioned. That easy an no hassle on your return.

Offline clea

• Collector
  • Hi-dilly-ho-dilly, neighboreenos.
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 07:06 PM »
@ frootloops - you aware if gifts are taxable? for example when I got back from Singapore, this Customs officer was insisting that a Printer i got was taxable...

good thing i put the newly bought laptop on the bag and placed it over my shoulder which was why they never noticed it... ;)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Toy Launch
Megamall A May30

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 07:52 PM »
@ frootloops - you aware if gifts are taxable? for example when I got back from Singapore, this Customs officer was insisting that a Printer i got was taxable...

good thing i put the newly bought laptop on the bag and placed it over my shoulder which was why they never noticed it... ;)

Bro, as per Customs regulation:

Arriving passengers are required to declare all articles purchased or acquired abroad, indicating the quantity and it's total acqusition price.

So it actually do not matter, both will still be taxable. Next time someone gives you something, ask for the receipt so they will have a basis for computation (granting you will be taxed) iso them doing the computation using the ceiling.  ;D

Offline wickedmonicker

• Collector
  • Mrs Tom Welling
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 07:59 PM »
In response to the DVD quantity question, the key phrase here is COMMERCIAL QUANTITY. As per customs rule, "You cannot ship any items of the same kind in commercial quantities.  Quantity of the same kind greater than 12 is considered commercial quantity."

Just don't go beyond the COMMERCIAL QUANTITY and you won't get flagged.

To the guys who were able to sneak pass customs carrying tons of DVDs, you just got lucky.

I think the operative term here is same kind greater than 12 is considered commercial quantity.

For example, you bought like 20 copies of the "I Am Legend" dvd.. you would get flagged with intent to sell those.. but if you buy like 300 dvds of all sorts without having 12 duplicates of one those dvds.. you're safe :D

Though i dont know if you'll be asked to pay for tax... hmmm

Calling Atty. Barrister... need your help with law interpretation.. hehehe
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2008 at 08:12 PM by wickedmonicker »
App-aholic!!!

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 12:33 AM »
I think the operative term here is same kind greater than 12 is considered commercial quantity.

For example, you bought like 20 copies of the "I Am Legend" dvd.. you would get flagged with intent to sell those.. but if you buy like 300 dvds of all sorts without having 12 duplicates of one those dvds.. you're safe :D

Though i dont know if you'll be asked to pay for tax... hmmm

Calling Atty. Barrister... need your help with law interpretation.. hehehe

Yes you are safe if it is used or unsealed.  If sealed, then duty tax will apply.

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #40 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 02:19 PM »
i travel in and out of the country every 28 days and carry a laptop. never did i declare that i have one. the customs official did not even bother checking my laptop bag (before) and backpack (now). sometimes i buy laptop for a friend but it is placed in my backpack-carry on baggage. it is heavy to lug around 2 lappies at the airport, though.

Offline wickedmonicker

• Collector
  • Mrs Tom Welling
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 03:42 PM »
.. sometimes i buy laptop for a friend but it is placed in my backpack-carry on baggage. it is heavy to lug around 2 lappies at the airport, though.

Thats very nice of you to buy such a bulky item for a friend... my friends right out tell me they don't want to bring in any dvds i want bought abroad! hehehe :D then again they're girls.. and their luggages are full to the brim with shoes errrgggghhh!
App-aholic!!!

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #42 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 05:09 PM »
Thats very nice of you to buy such a bulky item for a friend... my friends right out tell me they don't want to bring in any dvds i want bought abroad! hehehe :D then again they're girls.. and their luggages are full to the brim with shoes errrgggghhh!

i am a light traveller so 1 extra laptop is okay as it still fits my backpack. dala ko parin ang laptop box (collapsed) and placed in my check-in baggage. my friend thought that i hand carried the laptop together with the box kasi complete bigay ko sa kanya ;D

Offline manilabynight

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm not so new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 12:39 PM »
My observation is that customs personnel tend to be stricter and more on the alert with incoming (Filipino) passengers coming from Asia (Hongkong and Taiwan in particular) and the Middle East specially if they are obviously overseas balikbayan workers rather than from mainland U.S.A.

I have been travelling in and out occasionally from the U.S. in the past and have not been harassed by airport authorities. Usually I travel light and return with a modest sized balikbayan box if ever .... not unlike some of our compatriots who arrive from HK/MidEast as domestic helpers, etc bringing tons of boxes and stuff with them - I wouldn't be surprised if they catch the attention of the authorities. It also helps if you act and play it cool and know how to answer smartly and intelligently to these GREEDY customs people. Also bring it items to make it appear they are part of your regular luggage - leave the boxes if possible - those boxes just add weight and eat up your available space.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 03:48 PM »
My observation is that customs personnel tend to be stricter and more on the alert with incoming (Filipino) passengers coming from Asia (Hongkong and Taiwan in particular) and the Middle East specially if they are obviously overseas balikbayan workers rather than from mainland U.S.A.

I have been travelling in and out occasionally from the U.S. in the past and have not been harassed by airport authorities. Usually I travel light and return with a modest sized balikbayan box if ever .... not unlike some of our compatriots who arrive from HK/MidEast as domestic helpers, etc bringing tons of boxes and stuff with them - I wouldn't be surprised if they catch the attention of the authorities. It also helps if you act and play it cool and know how to answer smartly and intelligently to these GREEDY customs people. Also bring it items to make it appear they are part of your regular luggage - leave the boxes if possible - those boxes just add weight and eat up your available space.

I assume those people you are referring are the OFW's? True, they can bring tons and tons of things for their families and relatives after being away for years and they are TAX FREE. They can even bring home a car if they want to tax free if only they can pay for the cargo fee's.  ;) Filipino's are extra ordinary passengers all over the world, we are the only one who uses this boxes, the Philippine Made Samsonite as some call it. Taking out this boxes would not only mean taking off their legs but their head as well.

Coming August, a change in weight will be implemented for all airlines. Instead of the usual 70lbs, it will change to 50lbs/2pcs for Transpacific flights (US), the rest remains. PAL is already implementing this.

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 09:30 PM »
Sana wag ma-taxan yung BD player at discs ko na parating sa december.  :-X
SARS!!!

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2577
« Reply #46 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 09:40 PM »
Sana wag ma-taxan yung BD player at discs ko na parating sa december.  :-X

suggest ko balutin mo isa isa ung bd discs tapos kunwari gifts for different persons. ganun ginagawa ng sister ko pag nauwi sila from the states
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 08:19 AM »
suggest ko balutin mo isa isa ung bd discs tapos kunwari gifts for different persons. ganun ginagawa ng sister ko pag nauwi sila from the states

Pwede rin kaso medyo hassle yun sa magbabalot. ;D Paghiwahiwalayin na lang siguro ng baggage. Yung iba sa hand carry na lang. ;)
SARS!!!

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2577
« Reply #48 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 08:23 AM »
or pwede rin alisin mo na ung plastic na balot para used na ang dating
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #49 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 10:59 AM »
I find airport customs people properly lenient for Pinoys coming home with lots of goodies. I say properly lenient kasi alam naman nila na ugaling Pinoy ang mag-uwi ng maraming gamit from abroad, kaya nga nauso ang balikbayan box diba?  I've been in and out many times and I don't declare anything despite balikbayan boxes full of sealed goodies.  They don't bother me or anyone else going out the airport doors. Remember, if you do declare stuff, they will have to  charge you duties.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline natosan

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 12:55 PM »
can somebody post the official tariff/duty rates ng dvd player,receivers, speakers, laptops. Para kahit ma-flagged down tayo ng customs, di tayo maguyo sa i-aaply nila na rates. Don't think its 100% as some arbitrarily want to impose. Kung may hs code mas maganda para mapa-photocopy ko tariff book at ma link ko dito for everyone. TIA.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #51 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 05:19 PM »
The first few times I travelled out of the country were around 2003 and 2004. At that time, I didn't recall being asked to declare DVDs in the customs declaration form.

A few days ago, I came back from Sydney and was surprised to learn that DVDs (and VCDs) should be declared, along with the usual electronic items. At that time, I had with me 2 DVDs which I purchased from JB Hifi (pang souvenir lang, as the prices here are cheaper - at least basta sale). Per the Bureau of Customs passenger guidelines, DVDs are considered regulated items that require import permit/clearances.

Offline CaLvs

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 08:35 PM »
I would like to ask lang din po mga sir. Im leaving soon to US but gusto ko sana dalhin yung ps3 ko and some dvd-r that contains files of my projects.
Question:
1. Will my ps3 be tax there in the US?
2. If babalik ako after 3 months na dala ung ps3 ko, matatax-an ba to dito sa pinas?
3. What is the best da moves na gawen pag dadalhin ung ps3? hand carried or sa luggage? hehe
sana po matulungan nyo ako hehehe.  salamat =)

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 08:49 PM »
I would like to ask lang din po mga sir. Im leaving soon to US but gusto ko sana dalhin yung ps3 ko and some dvd-r that contains files of my projects.
Question:
1. Will my ps3 be tax there in the US?
No.

2. If babalik ako after 3 months na dala ung ps3 ko, matatax-an ba to dito sa pinas?
Yes, here is what you need to do to avoid being taxed is get and fill up a form with the Customs-On-Duty right after your first security check at the airport, a Customs officers are normally at that area also checking your bags. That form serves your intention that you will be bringing back your unit. You will have to show this to the Customs examiner upon your arrival in Manila.

3. What is the best da moves na gawen pag dadalhin ung ps3? hand carried or sa luggage? hehe
sana po matulungan nyo ako hehehe.  salamat =)
If properly packed, I highly suggest you put it inside your luggage to avoid delay and hassles. All electronic items are being heavily checked nowadays.

happy trip!  :)

Offline CaLvs

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 10:54 PM »
sir thanks for the info. So bago po ako umalis, idedeclare ko na po ba? may bayad pa po ba ito??

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Oct 26, 2008 at 12:29 AM »
sir thanks for the info. So bago po ako umalis, idedeclare ko na po ba? may bayad pa po ba ito??

You have to declare it before you leave, it's free.

Offline Blu-devil

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Bible, The Worlds Most Famous Work of Fiction
  • Liked:
Airport Customs
« Reply #56 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 02:21 PM »
About a month ago I came here from Bangkok to Cebu via Manila with around $2500 US worth of Blu-rays and a PS3 with no probs. Actually add to that a portable dvd player and 2 laptops as well. Damned lucky..
Denon AVR-4400H: Denon PMA520AE: DMP-UB400: Epson EH-TW9400: Jamo 7.1.4 Atmos Speakers: 135” screen

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #57 on: Mar 05, 2009 at 06:05 PM »
Anyone here tried to travel with his Wanted Giftset? Just curious if we'll have problems with the bullet DVD holder.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Mar 05, 2009 at 07:54 PM »
I highly doubt you will have a problem, especially if it is a checked in luggage.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2009 at 08:36 PM by frootloops »

Offline Blu-devil

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Bible, The Worlds Most Famous Work of Fiction
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 05:18 PM »
I would rather sit in the middle of the customs area and set the money on fire in front of them than hand any money over to these MGB's (Money Grabbing Batards) The thing is I am the sort of person who WILL actually do it. Last summer a cheeky immigration guy asked me for 3,500 peso before I could LEAVE the country. Both my wife and my Brother in law had to drag me from him, I was goin to rip his f@cking head off. 4 Days later when I returned I saw him again, he pulled me to one side and apologized and expressed his heartfelt sorrow and embarrassment to me and told me to look for him when ever I leave the country and he will usher me thru quickly and without payment. It does pay to stand up for yourself some times.
Denon AVR-4400H: Denon PMA520AE: DMP-UB400: Epson EH-TW9400: Jamo 7.1.4 Atmos Speakers: 135” screen