Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 534929 times)

Offline bonjit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:ONKYO AVR
« Reply #30 on: Aug 02, 2002 at 07:36 PM »
Hi guys,

I've seen the Onkyo 797, it just came out here in Sydney
Would you guys recommend buying this one compared to the Marantz 8200 or the Denon 3802?

Bonjit

Offline hyperaudio

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Aug 03, 2002 at 08:43 AM »
jit,
ang bagal naman ng labas ng equipment diyan sa down
under. eh, i-introduce na nga dito yung tx-nr900 net-work receiver. anyway, feature for feature lamang ang 797. sa thx capability lang tapos na ang usapan; need i say more about the sound quality (just remember ONKYO is an audio company, nothing else). so bro, you don't have to break your loyalty to onkyo.

Offline bonjit

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Aug 04, 2002 at 05:57 PM »

jit,
ang bagal naman ng labas ng equipment diyan sa down
under. eh, i-introduce na nga dito yung tx-nr900 net-work receiver. anyway, feature for feature lamang ang 797. sa thx capability lang tapos na ang usapan; need i say more about the sound quality (just remember ONKYO is an audio company, nothing else). so bro, you don't have to break your loyalty to onkyo.

Rene,

Tama ka mabagal ang labas dito sa Sydney ng mga bagong gamit, magkano ba dyan yung TX-NR900, kung mura dyan baka paguwi ko next year bibili ako dyan, problema ko lang ang warranty, bibigyan mo ba ako ng international warranty pare? I am still inclined to buy an Onkyo dahil satisfied ako sa performance ng 656 ko, I've had it for four years wala pa rin akong problema dito. Match kaya ito sa Mission 780. I might try another brand of speaker just for a change. I might give you a ring once I decide on getting the receiver.

Bonjit

Offline cybermms

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 04, 2002 at 06:09 PM »
Zone 2 is a 2-channel set-up. You can wire it up from your 696 or install the optional gadgets (sensors, emitters, etc).

cybermms

just wondering...dba may powered zone 2 yong 696? does it mean i can have a seperate stereo at another room while using the 5.1 or stereo in the main room?  :)

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #34 on: Aug 04, 2002 at 06:42 PM »
bonjit,

there's some concern about a 'popping' or 'ticking' sound for the Onkyo 797 which i've read about in some home theater forums.  there seems to be a problem with some DTS DVDs.  i don't know how accurate these reports are, as i don't own the 797, but warpzone18 seems to have expeirinced it though he hasn't posted any feedback (see his msg somewhere in this thread).  perhaps hyperaudio can answer this question.  fyi.

Offline bonjit

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Aug 04, 2002 at 07:01 PM »

bonjit,

there's some concern about a 'popping' or 'ticking' sound for the Onkyo 797 which i've read about in some home theater forums.  there seems to be a problem with some DTS DVDs.  i don't know how accurate these reports are, as i don't own the 797, but warpzone18 seems to have expeirinced it though he hasn't posted any feedback (see his msg somewhere in this thread).  perhaps hyperaudio can answer this question.  fyi.

Hi Tonedeaf

Thanks for the info about that popping sound with the 797 . I think Onkyo has already fixed up the problem with the new ones they made but still have to do some research about it before I buy. It would cost me $2200 ausie dollars here if ever I decide on buying it here but if hyperaudio would give me a good deal I might be able to get it from him if price permits.

Bonjit

Offline foxyyy

• Collector
  • "it's in the game"
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Aug 05, 2002 at 01:01 AM »

Zone 2 is a 2-channel set-up. You can wire it up from your 696 or install the optional gadgets (sensors, emitters, etc).

cybermms

just wondering...dba may powered zone 2 yong 696? does it mean i can have a seperate stereo at another room while using the 5.1 or stereo in the main room?  :)

does that mean i can independently control the volume &  tones(treble,bass) of one channel from the other?

Offline hyperaudio

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Aug 05, 2002 at 08:16 AM »
jit,
the srp of the 797 in 'pinas is P56000.00 but coz you're a longtime friend you won't believe the discount i'll give you. but i advice you to wait for the nr-500. anyway hindi ka naman nagmamadali. see you december.

Offline mdman

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Aug 06, 2002 at 08:41 PM »
Guys, i'm planing to buy the tx-sr500 maybe this week end, can you recommend me the best and cheapest place to get it?

thanks!!

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 12:17 AM »
hyperaudio dude  ;D

Offline bonjit

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Aug 07, 2002 at 11:09 AM »

jit,
the srp of the 797 in 'pinas is P56000.00 but coz you're a longtime friend you won't believe the discount i'll give you. but i advice you to wait for the nr-500. anyway hindi ka naman nagmamadali. see you december.

Rene,

Just want to confirm, you are telling me na may lalabas na bagong AV receiver ang Onkyo "NR500", ano ang kaibahan nito sa 797 if its a big difference I don't mind waiting, anyway magkano ang presyo? Pls. respond.

Bonjit

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 08, 2002 at 01:06 AM »
Reposting

::)
PLease help me with the following details of onkyo TX-SR600e. i have already checked onkyo website for the specs of this.
1. Price
2. Comparison with Yamaha (equivalent series)
3. Test result
4. Speaker to match (best buy)
5. Available dealers in Metro Manila

thanks in advance

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Aug 09, 2002 at 01:19 AM »
Reposting for doubletap

if someone will be spending more time watching movies than playing audio cd's, which one should he get-the yamaha or the onkyo?

sabi kasi ng iba mas better ang yamaha for movies while yung onkyo is best for playing music... sa experience nyo, accurate ba to?

thanks!

Offline Rnold

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Aug 09, 2002 at 03:05 AM »

Reposting

::)
PLease help me with the following details of onkyo TX-SR600e. i have already checked onkyo website for the specs of this.
1. Price - PhP 28T SRP
2. Comparison with Yamaha (equivalent series) I've auditioned both and I prefer Onkyo over the Yamaha
3. Test result - no comment
4. Speaker to match (best buy) - Try B&W 600 Series
5. Available dealers in Metro Manila - Contact Rene of Hyper Audio at 8325710

thanks in advance

just take your time and use your best judgement. audition and read reviews and forum - this helps a lot

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #44 on: Aug 09, 2002 at 06:14 AM »
Reposting for doubletap

if someone will be spending more time watching movies than playing audio cd's, which one should he get-the yamaha or the onkyo?

sabi kasi ng iba mas better ang yamaha for movies while yung onkyo is best for playing music... sa experience nyo, accurate ba to?

thanks!

IMHO, I agree that Yamaha is really better than Onkyo in terms of theater.  I have auditioned an Onkyo TS-DS575X with a Yamaha RXV-620 and the difference was very evident.  The Yamaha's sound totally envelopes you with distinct sound imaging in each area.  It can be accounted to its unique Trifield for 5.1 channels and Quad Field Cinema DSP for 6.1 channels.  I find Yamaha receivers to lack in body though when it comes to music.

Although Onkyo has its share for cinema and theater,  the sound in a 5.1 channel set-up isn't as fluid and smooth as the channel to channel panning of the Yammies.  In the same room, I noticed some gaps in channel transfer and the sound can be localized in each speaker.  For some, this wouldn't be such a bother but if you really delve into it, the difference is very evident.

But in audio listening, I'd go for the Onkyo for its warmer and more lively sound compared to the Yammies.

Well, that's just me. ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2002 at 06:15 AM by nirvblakr »

Offline d0ubletap

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Aug 09, 2002 at 03:54 PM »
nirvblakr: thanks for the expert advice. ill keep it in mind when i accompany my boss (ngayon ko lang nalaman na HT freak pala) to tech central... he's gonna get a tx-sr600 and mag-au-audition na rin ako ng onkyo tx-sr500/600 and yamaha rx-v430/530 (kung meron)...

ang sabi nya kasi sakin nung last time nag-audition sya, the onkyos sounded better than their yamaha counterparts, mas fuller daw yung sound... i guess ill check it out for myself later...

thanks ulit sa advice dude!

Offline madrigal

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Aug 13, 2002 at 07:40 AM »
Hello,
  Sound quality is really relative.    Features wise, the Onkyo is best with a 6.1 output.   Why get an obsolete 5.1 Yamaha?  In the states, a 5.1 is entry level and eventually to be phased out.
 Get good speakers for the onkyo and beat that entry level yamaha 430-530.
 If you really would like a 5.1 channel, then get a Harman Kardon avr4000.  It would be the best
reciever against any onkyo or yamaha.  It is best with music and movies with an NAD tube sound.
  Actually, phased out na din ang avr4000(310) sa states since 5.1 pa ito.    7.1 channels na ang lahat ng Harman Kardon recievers even the entry level models.  

Offline d0ubletap

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Aug 13, 2002 at 12:20 PM »
mahirap yata ang HK, masyadong mahal... sa receiver budget ko (max 400USD) eh less than 50watts/channel makukuha ko sa HK, while pag yamaha eh i can get 75watts/channel...

granted, mas maganda siguro quality ng HK, pero for ppl like me on a tight budget kelangan good compromise bet price and quality

Offline madrigal

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Aug 14, 2002 at 07:54 AM »
to doubletap:
  Hi, di naman masyadong mahal ang HK.  an hk avr2000 cost around P18,500 lang. (in upscale audio mkti)
The 40w x 5 rating equals to around 70 watts x 5  in Japanese rating.  I guess u know Harman kardon
uses a high current design so malakas naman ito althought you will reach the end of the volume control but without
distortion.  
  I was also about to purchase a yam 430 (P15,500 in ambasador)  but the sound quality in my opinion is ordinary.
  The Onkyo txsr500 at around P18,000 is ok too.  
   Iba kasi if u have a Harman Kardon at home.  It is no match in aesthetics and sound quality  compared to a common yamaha, onkyo or denon.  

TY

Offline d0ubletap

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 14, 2002 at 10:07 AM »
hey madrigal, thanks for the advice. buti na lang oct/nov pa ko bibili, ill have time to audition the hk... anong HK site ang tingnan ko, yung intl or us?

assumption ko kasi yamaha/onkyo ang okay sa low-cost receivers, while yung ibang brands like HK sa mid-to-hi end. kaya nga ive never bothered to research other brands aside from yamaha/onkyo kasi feeling ko di ko ma-afford. tama ba yung assumption ko or am i missing out on other great brands with low-cost offerings?

budget ko nga pala is 20k max para sa receiver... yung speakers eh decided na ko sa mission m73 sa front and tentatively mission m7c1 sa center (baka mag-change ako, still checking out reviews of this model sa web)... yung sorrounds and sub next time na, won't be able to afford it... okay ba na match yung hk with the missions?

thanks madrigal!
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2002 at 10:09 AM by d0ubletap »

Offline hilario dvd

• Apprentice
  • The "NO" votes have it....BANG!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Aug 15, 2002 at 07:49 AM »
I've just retired my Pioneer VSX 410 and bought the Onkyo TX SR-500.  I'm just wondering why I have to reach volume level 30+ with the Onkyo to be able to hear something from my speakers.  With my old Pioneer, sound is already audible even at the slightest turn of the volume dial.  Is this normal for all Onkyo models?

Offline luther

• Collector
  • protegetech.org rav4world.com tsikot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Aug 15, 2002 at 08:58 AM »
madrigal,

how would the hk4000 compare against the denon 1802?  a 6.1 receiver is out of the question for now as our living room wouldn't be able to accomodate a rear center for the 6.1

from wut i've researched the denons is more into moview while the hk is more into music.

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Aug 15, 2002 at 09:33 AM »
denon and harman kardon both are good for music and audio, its just a matter of what your ears think  ::) I have an h/k receiver and I like its warm sound while many here prefer denons sound, you can't go wrong with either. even though 5.1 lang ang h/k ko its ok because my room is small and I don't have any dts-es dvds yet, maybe next year na lang ako magpapalit ng receiver. Speakers also play a part to get the best from your receiver so match them with your receiver.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #53 on: Aug 15, 2002 at 05:55 PM »
hilario dvd,

i've got the Onkyo 494.  Dial is usually turned up to about late twenties or early thirties before i hear anything.  

Offline d0ubletap

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Aug 15, 2002 at 06:03 PM »
what about marantz? is the SR4200 better than the denon 1602 or hk avr2000 for movies?

Offline madrigal

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Aug 15, 2002 at 06:38 PM »
Hi guys:
    Hilario dvd:
youre right, you really have to turn the volume level of the onkyo since it uses a high current amp just like a
harman kardon.  para bang ikot ka ng ikot ng volume and wala pa rin tunog.   specially on dvd where it is recorded low.   On cd's mas louder ng konti.    When I watch dvds nasa -15 ang volume level ko with a sub using a speaker with 88 db sensitivity.        On  amps like Yamaha or Denon, 1/4 palang ng volume, malakas na.

doubletap:
in my opinion, paired with a h/k, that mission will sound hign with a weak bass.  Better invest in a good sub.  If possible, get a speaker with a high sensitivity of 90bd and above.   Psb, paradigm or Infinity have those.   Sa tingin ko kasi, mapili sa speaker ang h/k.   The missions are best with a Yamaha 430 or a denon 1602 or 1802.    Anyway, that is the joy of loving audio stuff since it is a trial in error experience.       I also like those missions pero di maganda ang tunog sa H/K..  

luther:
h/k 4000 vs Denon 1802?    Depends on what speaker you will use.   on loudness and bass, the denon is a  winner.   For home theater, the H/K is better in both DD and DTS with clearer vocals but not that much compared with the denon.       the H/k4000 is best with a paradigm monitor set and an Infinity Entra set but the H/k sounded really weak and thin with a Wharfedale diamond8 and missions,         For the Denon,  the missions sounded more full and the diamond 8 was ok.       I guess overall, mas consistent ang denon but the H/K is also great paired with the right speakers.      About to buy that denon too but na turn off ako sa gold casing nya.  It looks tacky.

I am not an advocate of a Harman Kardon.   It is not the best .  It really depends on your speaker matching.
If I can afford it now, the best integrated reciever I heard is an NAD.   Kahit na Cheap Wharfedale diamond8 ang gamitin mo, it will sound perfect.      Sa separates, the Mcintosh is the best Ive heard so far.

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 15, 2002 at 07:44 PM »
The TXSR-600 is a good buy if your budget is in the 23000 php range, although I have an h/k receiver that i'm happy with i plan to get this one in the future, mas malakas kasi  ;D

Offline luther

• Collector
  • protegetech.org rav4world.com tsikot.com
  • Liked:
H/K 4000 vs. Denon 1802
« Reply #57 on: Aug 16, 2002 at 09:03 AM »
am planning to get the Infinity Alpha series plus a Velodyne sub, or the JBL LX or Xti series.

Cguro alam nyo naman kung saan shop ako kukuha?  ;D

I've heard the Alphas with the H/K, and it sounded pretty good.  I've yet to hear it with the Denons.  

Offline madrigal

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Aug 16, 2002 at 10:52 AM »
luther:
  Contrary to what other people say, I think the infinity alpha sounds real great. that is, paired with the
h/k 2000 or 4000.     Some people say kasi that Infinity is not a good brand.  most people here purchase  b&W, missions or dynaudio.   Also, a lot own Yamahas and denons,
  Go ahead, get those Infinitys.  

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 16, 2002 at 11:43 AM »
The xti bookshelf sounds real good, a great match with a h/k receiver  ;D