Author Topic: SURPLUS TUNERS  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Lord Foo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
SURPLUS TUNERS
« on: Jul 30, 2006 at 03:47 PM »
I finally took the plunge and acquired two tuners from the Pier along with a Sony CDP. I needed the tuners for rooms being constructed in my house.

A SONY Tuner SA50ES

SONY Tuner on top of a Sansui TU207 tuner.

Another view of the Sansui tuner.. note the rack handles
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2006 at 05:08 PM by Lord Foo »

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Re: SURPLUS TUNERS
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 06:16 PM »
hi sir lordfoo....kamusta p0 ba ang tuner frequency range ng sansui at sony? are they tuned to our FM freq - 87.5-108mhz? tnx

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 11:57 AM »
hi sir lordfoo....kamusta p0 ba ang tuner frequency range ng sansui at sony? are they tuned to our FM freq - 87.5-108mhz? tnx

Yes. However, i took home digital units. They came with a "look-up table" of the tuner's station setting versus the actual local settings. So, 104.3 will have a different station number display in the tuner station display.

Offline hi-fidelity-4-all

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 12:26 PM »
Where exactly is "the pier" and how do i get there from Ortigas?

Are there paticular establishments that you recommend?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2006 at 12:26 PM by hi-fidelity-4-all »
VPI Scout / Lenco 75 restored & upgraded -> AA PPA-1-> Aesthetix Mimas -> Revel Performa F30

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 03:50 PM »
Where exactly is "the pier" and how do i get there from Ortigas?

Are there paticular establishments that you recommend?

Thanks!

it's about 2 blocks away from Manila Hotel

- no offense but being a foreigner, no way will you get cheap rates at the pier, the sharks will see you coming a mile away ;D
money is best spent

Offline hi-fidelity-4-all

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 08:26 PM »

Ha ha ha ha ha ha  ;D

You read my mind! : )

You know I wanted to say that also in my post, but didn't want to offend by insinuating anything.

Yes, I agree.  I'll have to bring my wife (she is Filipina) and driver to tag along far behind and then have them go back to negotiate!  ;D

Btw, when are you going to demo the Verastarr speaker cables  8)
VPI Scout / Lenco 75 restored & upgraded -> AA PPA-1-> Aesthetix Mimas -> Revel Performa F30

Offline GreenHorn

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 03:45 PM »
How much did the sony and sansui costs.  Last time I asked from one store in the pier area, the cost ranges from P1.5 to 1.8 depending on the brand and condition.   

In one store, they told me that the tuner (I think it was a Denon) could only get 3 RP radio stations.

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 04:12 PM »
HI greenhorn,

I actually purchased three units for 4500. The two tuners and a Sony CDP ES303. That puts the tuners at 1.5 k each. They were actually selling the Sony Es tuner at a much higher price. Regarding the stations, I am using them now almost once a day and my favourite stations are all accessible. I am at least sure that 88.3 and 104.3 is there.

Actually, i am now convince that separate tuners sound better than the tuners in receivers - but thats my opinion only based on comparison with the receivers i own.

Offline shuttertrigger

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 04:39 PM »
HI greenhorn,

I actually purchased three units for 4500. The two tuners and a Sony CDP ES303. That puts the tuners at 1.5 k each. They were actually selling the Sony Es tuner at a much higher price. Regarding the stations, I am using them now almost once a day and my favourite stations are all accessible. I am at least sure that 88.3 and 104.3 is there.

Actually, i am now convince that separate tuners sound better than the tuners in receivers - but thats my opinion only based on comparison with the receivers i own.

sir, where did you get the tuners? little chatty? thanks
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 04:53 PM »
Yep.. little chatty.. there were only two good tuners at the time and I got them both... the others were digital tuners that i didnt want.

hmm. you know what? i recall seeing a Rotel Equalizer there also...

Man! the equalizer looked really nice but i wasnt into equalizers..(actually i was pretty well cleaned out at the time.)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 04:55 PM »

I would thnk that's old knowledge. With so few exceptions, separates are  generally better than recievers.  At any price range. With any component.   That has been the case in the 70's, it still is.  About the only thing that can compete with separates these days are the preamp/processors used in mid-price receivers.  ;D   Only because the chips used are often identical.  You can consider this as a fact that goes beyond personal opinion.   ;D  Specialization rules.  Not all-in-one boxes. 
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2006 at 12:17 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline shuttertrigger

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 05:01 PM »
Yep.. little chatty.. there were only two good tuners at the time and I got them both... the others were digital tuners that i didnt want.

hmm. you know what? i recall seeing a Rotel Equalizer there also...

Man! the equalizer looked really nice but i wasnt into equalizers..(actually i was pretty well cleaned out at the time.)

thanks sir. was there 3 weeks ago and got lucky to take home viktor cd palyer...didnt see any tuners there that time.. maybe next time..thanks again sir..
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline alaala

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2006 at 12:14 AM »
now that you've mentioned the pier...

are there any establishments there selling books?

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2006 at 05:59 AM »
now that you've mentioned the pier...

are there any establishments there selling books?

None that I have noticed and I would have. I frequent "Book Sale" outlets and have purchased thousands of Scifi and Fantasy softbounds.

Offline GreenHorn

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 09:16 AM »
I also got a Sansui TU 207 black from Little Chattys.  I find it guapo. 
Since it is made in Japan, they have to rechannel it so it can get all the local channels.  If it is not rechanneled it can get only 3 channels (I think).

With the tuner, now I got 3 choices of "sources". 1 CDP (onkyo-also from the Pier), and a TT.  The advantage of the tuner is that I do not have to change cds or LPs every so often, specially when I feel lazy.

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 01:40 PM »
I also got a Sansui TU 207 black from Little Chattys.  I find it guapo. 
Since it is made in Japan, they have to rechannel it so it can get all the local channels.  If it is not rechanneled it can get only 3 channels (I think).

With the tuner, now I got 3 choices of "sources". 1 CDP (onkyo-also from the Pier), and a TT.  The advantage of the tuner is that I do not have to change cds or LPs every so often, specially when I feel lazy.

Congratz on your new tuner greenhorn. I have the same unit.  It must be a newly displayed unit. I was at Chatty's last Sunday and didnt find a tuner I like.