Author Topic: Muro-Ami ( Reef Hunters )  (Read 3201 times)

Offline comfoosed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Muro-Ami ( Reef Hunters )
« on: Feb 12, 2002 at 08:39 PM »
I took Astro’s current promo on Pinoy DVDs to buy my first local movie on DVD – Muro Ami.  My question after viewing this is:  Is the quality of the Muro Ami DVD representative of Pinoy DVDs?

I shall not comment on the movie’s script, acting, cinematography, scoring or editing because I find these to be mainly matters of personal taste and my preferences in these departments  are just as good as anybody’s.

If we take the Fifth Element Superbit as a 5-reference for video quality, I would rate the video quality of this DVD to be a marginal 2.75.  Low-light scenes are grainy.  Shadow details are missing in these scenes and those details that remain have washed out colors.  Passable pictures only happen in outdoor scenes with bright sunlight.

The audio quality of the DVD is even more disappointing.  Without any special processing by my receiver’s DSPs, the sound from the center channel seems to come from the bottom of a barrel.  Sound mixing is quite spotty.  You can hardly hear dialogue when delivered in soft tones because this is overpowered by the ambient audio tracks (chugging boat motor and lapping waves).  There is an obvious attempt to remedy this as the sound engineer turns down the ambient sounds on these occasions.  However this is done rather abruptly and becomes unnatural.  Sound separation and placement was also not well done.  You could not readily associate the sound with the onscreen source.  This is very disorienting.  Moreover, there were intermittent loud audio pops.

Regrettably, I did not see this film in the theater.  So I have no basis to say whether the cited deficiencies were already present in the film presentation.  But I would guess that most of these are caused by the way the film was transferred to DVD.  

I would very much like to add Pinoy DVDs to my modest collection but if Muro Ami is representative of local DVDs, then VHS copies would be sufficient.  I just hope that GMA does a better job on Rizal.  

(Viewed on Tosh 61” RPTV, Pioneer DVD 533, Onkyo 696.)
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline Dog from OuTeR Space

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re: Is Muro Ami par for Pinoy DVDs?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2002 at 07:13 AM »

(Viewed on Tosh 61” RPTV, Pioneer DVD 533, Onkyo 696.)

my guess is that that is also one of the problems these pinoydvd producers took foregranted... siguro di nila naisip how about those viewing the DVDs in giant TVs like the one you've got... coz in my TV which is about half the size of yours, it looks just fairly fine...  but of course, in your case, viewing it in an excellent HT system is a totally different story :(

Kiluminati2 8)
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
Re:Is Muro Ami par for Pinoy DVDs?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2002 at 02:20 AM »
hey confoosed: Hindi lang ang muro-ami, wait until
                        you view 2 or more filipino dvds--not
                        much difference... picture quality is
                        grainy,umuulan ng linya, and sound
                        walang kwenta pag may surround sound
                        ka pa... very poor quality talaga, but
                        since I loved to watch tagalog movies-
                        eh pinagtiyatiyagahan ko lang... ;D

Offline chiemonyo

• Collector
  • Liked:
Muro-Ami ( Reef Hunters )
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2006 at 10:53 PM »
I was searching for this movie for a long time na..... And at last!!!!  :o

my mom got a copy/DVD from AstroVision SM Manila.. 2 more copies left...

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
Re: Muro-Ami ( Reef Hunters )
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2007 at 03:11 AM »
Saw a GMA Blockbuster Series DVD of this movie earlier at Odyssey.   Is this a new transfer?   The packaging is akin to that of Jose Rizal...  Php 295.
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2007 at 11:06 AM »
yah. gma is probably releasing marilou diaz abaya's recent films on dvd. i recently bought pusod ng dagat. it has new opening and closing titles, parang gawa na sa computer. ???

Offline munky

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • who's who?
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2007 at 07:55 PM »
Hopefully this is a new transfer. I saw Death Row too. Both titles are P295.

OT:  I wonder if GMA will release their teleseryes on DVD. 
Still world peace