Author Topic: Dynaudio Speakers  (Read 128064 times)

Biggs

• Trade Count: (0)
Dynaudio Speakers
« on: Mar 25, 2002 at 03:43 PM »
Which stores carries Dynaudio speakers?
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2002 at 11:50 PM by levi »

Offline afterglow

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re:Which store carries Dynaudio speakers?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2002 at 05:13 PM »
Listening Room in Megamall and Listening in Style at Shang.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dynaudio Speakers
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2002 at 11:46 PM »
Hello biggs,

Editing your title to accomodate everything about Dynaudio. Thanks

Levi

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Pinoy Canadian :)
  • Liked:
Re:Dynaudio Speakers
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2002 at 08:47 AM »
Nice choice! IMHO, nothing beats Dynaudios at their price range especially the audience line..

;D
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2002 at 08:48 AM by muscleboy »
Yamaha | Paradigm | SVS | Pioneer Elite | PS3 | Apple Tv | Panasonic | EluneVision | Primacoustic

rtsy

« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2002 at 01:45 PM »
I use Dynaudio Audience 40's (front and rears), C120+ center and I love them.  Make sure you drive them with amps/receivers whose sound characteristics you like as the Dyns are very neutral sounding speakers so bright electronics make them sound bright (e.g., Pioneer), warm gear make the Dyns sound warm.

I drive mine with a NAD T760.  Amps/recievers in my shortlist when I bought were Rotel (but the 'Net was full of complaints about a particular Rotel receivers' reliability), Onkyo (The NAD just nosed out the Onkyo a tad), and EAD (but I chose to spend the extra money I'd cough up for a Threater Master on a trip to Bangkok instead where I bought a REL Q100E).

I started out in some heavy guage Monster Cable wire but later changed to Ixos Gamma 6003.  That surely did wonders.  Mids were clearer, highs smoother.

I think only the Listening group carries Dynaudio locally.  I did see a second hand Audince Sub-30 at DCM and a 2nd hand C120+ at Audio Visual Driver.

Or you can wait for me to upgrade to the Contour series.  But at the rate I'm saving, that'll be 10 years from now.  :-)

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
Dynaudio speaker enthusiasts
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2002 at 06:15 PM »
Just wondering how many of us here in pinoydvd are using Dynaudios.. Start posting..

;D Triple X
Yamaha | Paradigm | SVS | Pioneer Elite | PS3 | Apple Tv | Panasonic | EluneVision | Primacoustic

Offline MeowPao

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re:Dynaudio speaker enthusiasts
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2002 at 11:11 PM »
I got some of them Dyns...  Audience series.  :)

Offline Archangel

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2002 at 11:35 AM »
How much do entry level bookshelf speakers cost for this brand?

Offline arnoldc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2002 at 05:15 PM »
Audience 42 sells for 24K++

Offline MeowPao

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2002 at 05:47 PM »
Hi Triple-x,

Have you decided on when and how to get your Dyne's? :)

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2002 at 08:48 PM »
meowpao,

havent told the starbucks group pa pala.. hehe.. i got jay_cee_em's dynaudio 60's for a nice price.. hardly broken in.. still sounds a bit sibilant but they'll sound the way they should after a couple of months.. at least all dynaudios na ako hehe.. dadalhin ko din lahat to pag migrate ko hehe..

;D Triple X

Offline MeowPao

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2002 at 09:58 PM »
ey Triple-x,

Great addition ang 60's for your 40's... pareho silang series, sure na sure na they'll sound good! :)

Kulang na lang Dyne na sub! hehhe!  ;D

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2002 at 02:44 PM »
yep, they sound good all right. one thing nice about dynaudios is they never lose their composure even at high listening levels esp. if you have a powerful amp/recevr. they play loud and clean (very typical of me when watching action dvds).. hehe..

i watched again this speedway mach II dvd last weekend. if you think your HT system is good enough, i suggest you try out this dvd at moderate to high listening levels and see whether your system will hold up to your expectations. a friend from a hifi store tore up a center speaker playing the dvd.

was so pleased to know that my dynaudios didn't budge a bit even at ear splitting sound levels.. ako na ang sumuko sa kanila.. nabingi ata ako last saturday.. hehe..

;D

Offline MeowPao

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2002 at 12:11 AM »
Hi Tuff,

It depends on the amp kasi eh... if I were to get a Yamaha, I'd go for the Dyne's, kasi (for me), I like the sound of the soft dome tweeter paired with a Yam.

If I were to get a Denon, then I'd probably pick between the B&W and the Dynes.

Dynaudio speakers are a bit harder to drive. Low sentitivity and low impedance (usually in the 4's). So kung medyo low end ang amp, it'll work harder.

Here's one thing I can hear with the Dynes: garbage in = garbage out...  :) Walang awa siya pag pangit ang recording!

But since I love my Dynes so much... I'll still end up with probably another Dynaudio...hehehe...   ;)

rtsy

« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2002 at 05:36 AM »
i suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask your opinion this early about how dyne-As stand up against other speakers, specifically using a mid-fi amp.

When I put together my Home Theater system, I literally auditioned everything in the market:  Paradigm, Definitive Technology, ProAc at Audio Den, Acoustic Energy,Sonus Faber, NHT, and PSB at Upscale, Energy, Dunlavy, Revel, at Audio Visual Driver, B&W and Mission at Sights & Sounds, etc., etc., etc.

After round 1, the Dynaudio Audience series came out on top.  

In a National Geo or Discovery Channel documentary, they featured once a study made by various scientists where quantitatively, they linked what people perceive as beauty as an average of all the available options, e.g., what people consider to be a beautiful face is a nose that is the average of many different noses found on humans, ditto for eyes, cheeks, etc.  What has this got to do with Dynaudio's?

In one word, balance.  Dyns get that right.  No one feature stands out like bass (w/c is stupendous for the size), the midrange (which is invovlving) or the treble (smooth, smooth highs).  The Dyns shine in all these aspects.

So I went on round 2 of my speaker selection process where deliberately, I compared the Dynaudio to speakers far more expensive than the Audience line.  The Dunlavy was a good 3 times the price, B&W's CDM (SE pa lang noon, hindi pa umaabot dito ang NT) series was a good 2 times the price.  All that did was establish the Dynaudios as stonking value for money.

Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pinoydiophiles.  Lots of Dynaudio users there (also Sonus Faber, couple of B&Ws and Martin Logans, etc.), including one with the Contour 1.3SE!  I'm sure you'll get more info there.

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2002 at 09:29 AM »
i suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask your opinion this early about how dyne-As stand up against other speakers, specifically using a mid-fi amp.

When I put together my Home Theater system, I literally auditioned everything in the market:  Paradigm, Definitive Technology, ProAc at Audio Den, Acoustic Energy,Sonus Faber, NHT, and PSB at Upscale, Energy, Dunlavy, Revel, at Audio Visual Driver, B&W and Mission at Sights & Sounds, etc., etc., etc.

After round 1, the Dynaudio Audience series came out on top.  

In a National Geo or Discovery Channel documentary, they featured once a study made by various scientists where quantitatively, they linked what people perceive as beauty as an average of all the available options, e.g., what people consider to be a beautiful face is a nose that is the average of many different noses found on humans, ditto for eyes, cheeks, etc.  What has this got to do with Dynaudio's?

In one word, balance.  Dyns get that right.  No one feature stands out like bass (w/c is stupendous for the size), the midrange (which is invovlving) or the treble (smooth, smooth highs).  The Dyns shine in all these aspects.

So I went on round 2 of my speaker selection process where deliberately, I compared the Dynaudio to speakers far more expensive than the Audience line.  The Dunlavy was a good 3 times the price, B&W's CDM (SE pa lang noon, hindi pa umaabot dito ang NT) series was a good 2 times the price.  All that did was establish the Dynaudios as stonking value for money.

Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pinoydiophiles.  Lots of Dynaudio users there (also Sonus Faber, couple of B&Ws and Martin Logans, etc.), including one with the Contour 1.3SE!  I'm sure you'll get more info there.

nicely said rtsy..

the dyns i bought was an exhaustive 6 months search for me (and a pal) for the best sounding speakers for a particular budget (20k at that time). i've demoed diff. models from b&w, jbl, infinity, psb, nht, revel, kef, paradigm, sonus faber (a near second), energy, mission, and a lot more and the dyns really stood out among them..

the midrange and highs are the most natural i've heard at this price range..

Offline tuff_u_gong

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2002 at 02:03 PM »
thanks meowpao, rtsy and triple X for your replies!

meowpao,

i get your point. medyo brighter than usual nga ang yamaha so a soft dome tweeter would be more appropriate. in fact, i would have gone for diamond 8.3 wharfs (d talaga kaya audience, eh) to match with my yamaha AV receiver if only they were better and more consistently crafted.

Triple X and  rtsy,

which amps were plugged to the audience when you were patiently (wow 6 months!) auditioning them? did you use the same amps for all the other speakers?

rtsy,

di ba you have a pair of sonus faber concertinos? is it because the audience series is still more appropriate for HT than music?

thanks guys!

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2002 at 08:59 AM »
thanks meowpao, rtsy and triple X for your replies!

meowpao,

i get your point. medyo brighter than usual nga ang yamaha so a soft dome tweeter would be more appropriate. in fact, i would have gone for diamond 8.3 wharfs (d talaga kaya audience, eh) to match with my yamaha AV receiver if only they were better and more consistently crafted.

Triple X and  rtsy,

which amps were plugged to the audience when you were patiently (wow 6 months!) auditioning them? did you use the same amps for all the other speakers?

rtsy,

di ba you have a pair of sonus faber concertinos? is it because the audience series is still more appropriate for HT than music?

thanks guys!

tuff,

well, most of the time i was using the same amp. heck, i even ask oliver's (listening room) permission to demo the dyn aud 40 at a harman/kardon dealer. i'm using an avr 4000 to drive the dyns pala just in case you wanted to know.

payo ko sayo, if you can well afford to save up for a dyne, i suggest you do so. it is really worth your hard earned money. i was in the same situation before as there are cheaper brands out there.yun nga lang, doesn't sound as good. buti na lang di ako nagbago ng isip.

honestly, i still get mesmerized everytime my dyne starts playing.. faithful kase ang sound.. hehe..

;D triple x

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2002 at 10:06 AM »
im looking at getting the audience 42 or 52 to be paired with a NAD T762 A/V receiver i have on pre-order (arriving in early december here in singapore)...

when i posted in the local hifi forums here, most dyne owners were not sure the NAD would be enough to drive the dynes. they said the dynes require "beefy" amps to sing. they advised that the dynes sing best when paired with the big guys (krell, etc).

:-(

Offline MeowPao

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2002 at 10:52 AM »
im looking at getting the audience 42 or 52 to be paired with a NAD T762 A/V receiver i have on pre-order (arriving in early december here in singapore)...

when i posted in the local hifi forums here, most dyne owners were not sure the NAD would be enough to drive the dynes. they said the dynes require "beefy" amps to sing. they advised that the dynes sing best when paired with the big guys (krell, etc).

Hi V0elker,

Welcome to the forum!  :)

I'm currenty driving my Dynes using a Yamaha 1200 receiver. Its rated at 80 watts x 6 (at 8ohm). This is probably similar to the NAD T752.

So far, I've had no problems whatsoever. I just don't crank it up to the max since this will certainly damage my equipment (this is the case for everything else too!)

Your NAD T762 should be able to drive the Dynes. It's 100 watts x6 (at 8ohm) right? And its a NAD! :)

If you want to be sure, you can always go off and have an audition. :)
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2002 at 11:52 AM by MeowPao »

rtsy

« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2002 at 11:00 AM »
rtsy,

Amp used when I auditioned Dynaudio Audience was Yamaha's then entry level 495 I think.

Also heard it in straight stereo with a Meridan integrated amp.

I wasn't able to use the same amp for all speakers.  The Dyns I heard with Yammies (only entry to mid level brand carried by Listening then).  The PSB/Acoustic Energy/Tannoy/B&W I heard with Onkyo.  The Energy and Piega I heard with Denon and NAD.  The Dunlavy I heard with NAD Silverline and Mark Levinson No.383 Integrated.  The Paradigm, Definitive Technology I heard with Sunfire Cienma Grand.

Yes, I do have a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino in my stereo set-up.  I went with Dyn for HT due to:

1--Cost.  Pair of Concertino Home was nearly PhP15k more expensive than the Audience 40

2--The SF Center then (don't remember if Picollo Solo was the model then) had a documented frequency response anomaly (don't remember what) w/c may have been fixed now.

3--Bass punch.  To my ears and your mileage may vary, movie sound needs punchier attack w/c the Dyns had vs. the Sonus' velvet smooth presentation that suits music more.

4--I listen to music on my HT far more than I do movies despite having a separate stereo set-up.  I deliberately went for a different audio flavor on the HT set-up so I get two views.  

Others would argue that there is only 1 sound all audiophiles must try to achieve, that of absolute neutrality and accuracy.  I don't buy that.  I buy gear I like to listen to.  If it happens to be accurate, then that's fine.  If it happens to be colored, then so be it.

Some parting thoughts on speakers.  IMHO, speakers dictate a large proportion of the sonic character of your system.  Be impatient and buy speakers that fit your budget at a particular point in time just so you complete a 5.1 set-up and you're likely to continue looking at the speakers you really wanted in the first place.  You can always do it slowly.  Start with the front stereo pair.  Then get the center (w/c is most important in HT IMHO).  Then get sub.  Then get surround.

rtsy

« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2002 at 11:07 AM »

Four points:

1--NAD is known to understate their amp's power ratings.  This is how they've established landmark products like the 3020, 302, C329 integrated amps, all have driven fairly difficult loads on 20wpc.

2--I drive my Dynaudio Audience 40 (front  & rear) + C120+ center with a NAD T760 (50wpc I think).    In my 25sqm room, I have NEVER complained of not enough volume/headroom/dynamics.

3--Don't get stuck up on impedance and power ratings.  Be more concerned about system matching.

4--If you desire a cinematic sound with Dyns, Yammies are the way to go (quite flat on stereo, at least w/ the generation of Yammies I heard w/c was the time of the DSP-A1).  If you desire a sound that is good on movies and still good on straight stereo, my vote goes to NAD then followed by Onkyo then by Denon.  Note, I haven't heard the Harman-Kardon and Marantz electronics.  

Again, you're ears may tell you otherwise so listen to 'em!

--Russ

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 19, 2002 at 10:10 AM »
I asked for the prices of Dynaudio mobile speakers (for vehicles) and man are they expensive!  Almost double from the nearest competitor.. And they require a very skilled technician to have them fine tuned according to your car's inside dimensions. Would make you think twice to have them installed in your car..  :-\

I'm still open to other brands out there.. though iba talaga and dynaudio sound..

Offline tuff_u_gong

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2003 at 11:15 PM »
how much is a pair of Audience 52 these days?

are they worth the extra cost over the 42s?

thanks!
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2003 at 12:01 AM by tuff_u_gong »

Offline ants

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2003 at 01:40 AM »
I asked for the prices of Dynaudio mobile speakers (for vehicles) and man are they expensive!  Almost double from the nearest competitor.. And they require a very skilled technician to have them fine tuned according to your car's inside dimensions. Would make you think twice to have them installed in your car..  :-\

I'm still open to other brands out there.. though iba talaga and dynaudio sound..

so true.  I got my Dyns (Mobile) from Jeff at listening froup 1995..cost was 50% less than what they are sellng for now!!  The thing with them is that you need a very very powerful amp to make them sing..once they do..ANG SARAP!!!

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2003 at 09:05 AM »
how much is a pair of Audience 52 these days?

are they worth the extra cost over the 42s?

thanks!

tuff,

the only difference i guess would be the bigger bass. yes i think it would be worth it though if you can always compensate using a subwoofer on buying a 42.  a 42 (given the right powered amp) by the way has sufficient bass to suit your listening needs.

xXx

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2003 at 09:07 AM »

so true.  I got my Dyns (Mobile) from Jeff at listening froup 1995..cost was 50% less than what they are sellng for now!!  The thing with them is that you need a very very powerful amp to make them sing..once they do..ANG SARAP!!!

ya i agree with using a powerful amp to drive them. sana i could build my system on a car soon with all dynaudios.. hehe..

xXx

Offline ants

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2003 at 09:41 AM »

ya i agree with using a powerful amp to drive them. sana i could build my system on a car soon with all dynaudios.. hehe..

xXx

but with the price of the DYN sub, you can get other brands which would perform better

Offline stradale

• Collector
  • It's better to burn out than to fade away.
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2003 at 10:34 PM »

Voelker

sent you a PM.

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2003 at 10:56 AM »
stradale:

dude, i already sent you my replies. sorry bout that, i rarely check them priv msgs.