Author Topic: Dynaudio Speakers  (Read 128052 times)

Offline arnoldc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Dynaudio Speakers
« Reply #60 on: Mar 19, 2003 at 09:29 AM »
when i was auditioning the audience 42 and 52 (primary use is for music, not home theater), i noticed that it does not sound good on a yamaha. i asked the sales people to change the amp to another and they suggested a pre-owned Classe (30K) with 70wpc. the 52 sounded better than the 42 on this setup, but even with 70w of power bitin pa din. my observation was that other low sensitivity speakers are not as hard to drive, e.g. sonus faber, LS3/5A.

in my specific requirement, i had to think twice about the dyns, because i will be limited and would require me to upgrade my existing solid state amp also at 70wpc.

what i learned is that i made a right decision in going for an 89dB speaker. it is easier to drive, and is tube friendly (impedance is quite stable at different FR) as it works well on my 40wpc ultra-linear push pull amplifier as well as my DIY 2A3 single-ended amplifier at 3wpc.

had i gone to the audience 52, i would probably had upgraded the solid state amp to a more powerful one, i won't be able to use tube gear and miss out on the musicality of tubes, or i'll be selling the 52.

i am not trying to influence your decisions or biases, i am just merely citing my observations coming from the other side of the fence. undeniably, higher sensitivity speakers (not all) have their own merits.

IME, YMMV
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2003 at 09:30 AM by arnoldc »

Offline Titanium

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Mar 19, 2003 at 10:03 AM »
arnoldc,

You have a good point and will keep me really thinking. Can you pls PM me what speaker(s) youve finally bought and what receiver are you using... just for reference while Im still hunting for budget  ;)

rtsy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: Mar 19, 2003 at 08:19 PM »
Anyone have opinions on how the dynaudio subs fare musically? For example I'm fixed on a sub sat setup and get an dynaudio audience 42 or 52 will it be a good thing to audition them with dynaudio subs?

Good choice on the Audience 42/52.

I would however think twice about Dynaudio subs.  While they mate well with the Dyns (I've heard the small and bigger sub, don't remember models as this was 2 years ago), they are quite pricey for the performance at hand.

I'm not bashing Dynaudio.  I in fact have the Audience all round my HT.  I'm just sharing my opinion about their subs.

One of the key qualities of a great sub is it's ability to mate w/ most speakers (bookshelves or floorstanders) and truly extend the bottom end.  One such sub are REL's (the Quake is slightly cheaper pa than entry level Dyns yata).

And do take time on the sub.  One of the strengths of Dynaudio's is it's size-belying midbass and bass regions.  Don't jump into a sub just so model xxx is what you can afford today.  Wait till you can get a really good sub.  If you must spend your money now, buy CDs!
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2003 at 08:21 PM by rtsy »

rtsy

« Reply #63 on: Mar 19, 2003 at 08:28 PM »
Im still saving for the dyne audience 42, my dream speaker. What is the cheapest receiver or amp (2 channel ) that you can recommend to power the dynes. Im on a tight budget, between 15-20 K lang. Meron kaya kahit secind hand?

I think that in driving Dynaudios, more important than sheer watts per channel is the amp's ability to handle 4ohm loads.

I use my Dynaudios w/ a 40 or 50wpc NAD T760 and have found no complaints watching action flicks at reference volume levels.  I even set my receiver to drive the speakers full range!  I'm not an equipment masochist, I just like how it sounds that way.

I haven't heard Rotel-Dyn but when I was buying my HT before, JR was pretty confident w/ the 5 channel Rotel amp driving Dyn Audience 40's.  Dyn-Musical Fidelity is a well-documented synergy.  So is Dyn-Classe.

One thing that's common among Rotel, MF, Classe, NAD is that these are quite the anti-thesis of the sonic character of amps like Pioneer and Yamaha (haven't heard their latest and greatest).  The former tend to be warmer, lusher with some sacrifice on the top end.  The latter tend to be airy and detailed with some sacrifice on the body and sonic weight.  

This said, Onkyo, Marantz, and Harman/Kardon w/c are on the warm, full-bodied side should be worth a listen w/ Dyns.

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Mar 31, 2003 at 12:43 AM »
thanks tuff,

matindi nga yata, the more I read about it the more I want to have it  :o  Para gumaan ang loob ko,  I just thnk that this upgrade is for audio set up naman. Anyway, I was really aspiring for a tube amp pero if its not advisable, then Ill look for a ss power amp or receiver na mataas ang power, am I right ?

actually, dynaudio combined with a good
solid state amp is good if you like very
punchy, sparkly, clean sounding system.
i like it for vocals, bossa nova, even
rock music. for jazz, medyo kulang sa depth.  

if you like real jazz music (coltrane, ellington, basie,
marsalis, bill evans, etc.) you may want to get high efficiency speakers and combine them with a vintage tube integrated amp. they also sound great for vocals but with an altogether different approach in sound.

you're more likely to spend less on the
second option.

i suggest that you try these two routes first
before deciding to buy a pair of audience speakers.

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Aug 18, 2003 at 03:26 PM »
When I put together my Home Theater system, I literally auditioned everything in the market:  Paradigm, Definitive Technology, ProAc at Audio Den, Acoustic Energy,Sonus Faber, NHT, and PSB at Upscale, Energy, Dunlavy, Revel, at Audio Visual Driver, B&W and Mission at Sights & Sounds, etc., etc., etc.

After round 1, the Dynaudio Audience series came out on top.  

In a National Geo or Discovery Channel documentary, they featured once a study made by various scientists where quantitatively, they linked what people perceive as beauty as an average of all the available options, e.g., what people consider to be a beautiful face is a nose that is the average of many different noses found on humans, ditto for eyes, cheeks, etc.  What has this got to do with Dynaudio's?

In one word, balance.  Dyns get that right.  No one feature stands out like bass (w/c is stupendous for the size), the midrange (which is invovlving) or the treble (smooth, smooth highs).  The Dyns shine in all these aspects.

So I went on round 2 of my speaker selection process where deliberately, I compared the Dynaudio to speakers far more expensive than the Audience line.  The Dunlavy was a good 3 times the price, B&W's CDM (SE pa lang noon, hindi pa umaabot dito ang NT) series was a good 2 times the price.  All that did was establish the Dynaudios as stonking value for money.

Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pinoydiophiles.  Lots of Dynaudio users there (also Sonus Faber, couple of B&Ws and Martin Logans, etc.), including one with the Contour 1.3SE!  I'm sure you'll get more info there.

i'm reposting this for those who are too shy to audition dynaudio speakers

Offline nephilim

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • PureSound Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Dec 15, 2003 at 05:44 PM »
Hello there. I was just wondering what cables (interconnects) you guys use to match with your Dynes?
PureSound Inc.

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Dec 15, 2003 at 11:17 PM »
Hello there. I was just wondering what cables (interconnects) you guys use to match with your Dynes?

Interconnects - ArnoldC's DIY cables with Eichman bullet plugs

Speaker wires - Ixos 6007 (maybe changed also if i find a better pair)
money is best spent

Offline nephilim

• Collector
  • PureSound Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Dec 16, 2003 at 10:38 AM »
thanks iceman90a.  Been trying to narrow down my choices, but as is the usual case ... still confused.
PureSound Inc.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Dec 16, 2003 at 02:46 PM »
thanks iceman90a.  Been trying to narrow down my choices, but as is the usual case ... still confused.

just curious - what speakers do you have? and what amp/receiver are you using?

:D
money is best spent

Offline nephilim

• Collector
  • PureSound Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Dec 16, 2003 at 03:38 PM »
Hello again iceman90a.  I finally let go of my B&Ws which I had for a good 6 years.  I've been meaning to upgrade close to two years now, and it's only now that I finally took the plunge.  I currently am using a Contour 1.8 mkII, being driven by a Bryston power amp.  Pre-amp is the Sony Pre-pro TAE9000ES.  The interconnects and speaker cables I'm using are actually still pretty good, MIT Terminator 2.  But I'm looking for something with a bit more detail.  Thinking of Transparents, or may go the way of Audience or Analysis Plus.  Any recommendations?
PureSound Inc.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Dec 16, 2003 at 04:20 PM »
bro,

your setup is way out of my league, my audience 52's pale in comparison with the contours  :-[

really dont think i can add more to your knowledge of audio, best leave the suggestions to others

one thing i noticed is that my audience respond to changes in speaker gauge (when the same material of course is used) dont know how the audience speaker wires will sound with them though...
money is best spent

Offline nephilim

• Collector
  • PureSound Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Dec 16, 2003 at 04:44 PM »
Thanks iceman.  The way my room is set up, I have a long way to go.  I've actually sacrificed the home theater set-up, end.  I still am for integrating good 2 channel with a 5.1 channel setup.  Para naman walang masabi yung misis ko, di ba.   ;D  For my center, I cheated and got the Audience 42 center.  I figured, my wife won't notice the difference ... and so far she hasn't.  ;)   At this point, I'm now more concerned with my 2 channel set up.  I still have several weak links in the chain which need to be addressed.
PureSound Inc.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Dec 16, 2003 at 04:54 PM »
Thanks iceman.  The way my room is set up, I have a long way to go.  I've actually sacrificed the home theater set-up, end.  I still am for integrating good 2 channel with a 5.1 channel setup.  Para naman walang masabi yung misis ko, di ba.   ;D  For my center, I cheated and got the Audience 42 center.  I figured, my wife won't notice the difference ... and so far she hasn't.  ;)   At this point, I'm now more concerned with my 2 channel set up.  I still have several weak links in the chain which need to be addressed.

we're in the same boat - my wife stopped watching dvd's when i sold my previous ht set-up and went to 2 channel + sub  ;D

now she's happy again with our new 5.1 set-up and indulges me in my foray into 2 channel audio  ;)
money is best spent

Offline mYKi

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
Re: Dynaudio Speakers
« Reply #74 on: Aug 08, 2004 at 01:57 PM »
Knock! Knock!

Pwede bang mag-apply sa Dynaudio fans club?  :-)

I finally upgraded my well-loved B&W 601's to Audience 42's. I'm very happy with my decision. Since I have a small living room, I decided to go with the Audience 42 rather than the 52. My speakers are less than 2 feet from the back wall and just a foot from the side walls. If I got the 52s, I'm sure it would make the bass muddy.

I love these speakers! Also, the new real wood finishes are outstanding. Sobrang gwapo ang real wood because of the grain.

My speakers are 1 week old already and I really like what I'm hearing. Even my neglected CDs before, like Sarah McLachlan Mirrorball live, sounds great now. When I bought it before, I didn't enjoy it much and I just stored it away. But now, even not-so-well-recorded CDs sound good.

These speakers are very detailed, but it's not bright or tiring to listen to. The sound of cymbals and percussions truly stand out and as real as can be.

Maybe a few years from now I could upgrade to the Contour S1.4.   ;D

Offline nephilim

• Collector
  • PureSound Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Aug 09, 2004 at 10:02 AM »
Congrats on your new toy, mYKi. 

I also saw on the other thread  you're thinking of getting a power amp?  I'm actually selling a Rotel in the buy and sell section.  Check it out if you're interested.

PureSound Inc.

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Aug 09, 2004 at 07:18 PM »
nephilim,

How much are you selling the Rotel RMB 1066? Please PM me. What speakers are you using for this? Also, I'm assuming that you have larger main amps. What kind is it?

Thanks in advance.

Myki

Offline nephilim

• Collector
  • PureSound Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 09:24 AM »
Myki, sent you a pm   :)
PureSound Inc.

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 04:38 PM »
Mga boys,

Do you have recommendations for speaker wires and interconnects that is a perfect match for Dynaudio Audience 52?

Right now, I'm still using my IXOS 6003 and I like the way it produces the details. I tried Transparent but it robbed me of the details that I enjoyed. I'm sure the Transparent would have been perfect with my B&Ws though.

For interconnects, I'm using IXOS 104 and mukhang okay naman siya. I've also tried QED Qunex 1 but it sounded similar to the IXOS. I also tried XLO Twinax and again, it still sounded the same. I guess all entry-level ICs sound the same.

I really want to bring out the best in these Dyns and any "trade secret" you can share will be much appreciated.

By the way, I enjoy my music warm but still lively. So far, the NAD C352 cd player together with the Audience 52 produced great results for me.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 05:59 PM »
What amp are you using? I had a Fase Integrated amp before, 70 watts x 2 and enjoyed decent sound. But I didnt hear my 52's maxed out until I switched to a Hafler XL280 @ 145 watts/channel

you really need juice to get that woofer moving, but when it does... Aaahhh! ;D
money is best spent

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 09:11 AM »
Iceman90a,

I'm using a Marantz SR5500 as a pre/pro and it's connected to a Rotel RMB-1075 amp (125W x 5).  The Rotel gives out more power with 2-channels only. I would have to say tumaas balahibo ko when I connected my RMB-1075. Ibang klase pala ang Dyns with high amplification. I already thought it sounded great with my old SR7200, pero with an outboard amp, ibang klase na siya.

Ang problema ko ngayon are my interconnects between my SR5500 and the RMB-1075. I used cheap Acoustic Research during the first week. Tapos trip lang, I exchanged the fronts with an IXOS 104. WOW! Ang laki ng difference. So problem ko ngayon, the center sounds thin compared to the left and right. Hindi balanced yung sound with DVD movies.

Soooooo, I have to buy 3 pairs of new interconnects. I'm looking for second hand IXOS 104 para dalawa na lang bibilihin ko kaso I'm not so lucky in searching for one.

Ok na kaya ang XLO Twinax which I can buy locally?

Myki

What amp are you using? I had a Fase Integrated amp before, 70 watts x 2 and enjoyed decent sound. But I didnt hear my 52's maxed out until I switched to a Hafler XL280 @ 145 watts/channel

you really need juice to get that woofer moving, but when it does... Aaahhh! ;D

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 09:36 AM »
I would have to say tumaas balahibo ko when I connected my RMB-1075. Ibang klase pala ang Dyns with high amplification. I already thought it sounded great with my old SR7200, pero with an outboard amp, ibang klase na siya.

Agree! galing no? lalim ng soundstage tsaka ramdam mo yung bass (bookshelf yan ha)

Ok na kaya ang XLO Twinax which I can buy locally?
Myki

XLO Twinax are great value for money, ganda ng mids at balanse ang bass at highs, i have a pair that i use to connect my tube preamp and tube amp :)

pero if you want to splurge a little (para sa iyo naman yan di ba?) ask Mike (Xinesyss) if he can lend you Analysis Plus IC's for evaluation ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2004 at 09:37 AM by iceman90a »
money is best spent

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 01:36 PM »
XLO Twinax are great value for money, ganda ng mids at balanse ang bass at highs, i have a pair that i use to connect my tube preamp and tube amp :)

pero if you want to splurge a little (para sa iyo naman yan di ba?) ask Mike (Xinesyss) if he can lend you Analysis Plus IC's for evaluation ;)

Yes. Ibang klase si Mike of Toyz for the Big Boyz. I bought my 1075 from him as well as a Monitor Audio B2 and NAD C320BEE for a coffee shop that we will open soon. He lent me an XLO Twinax and I was quite happy with it already. Nothing great, but it was ok.

Pareng Iceman, kung ikaw... would you go for the Analysis Plus Oval One rather than the XLO Twinax? Malayo ba ang tunog?

I could buy 5 pairs of XLO Twinax kaagad.... or 2 pairs of Analysis Plus per month.  :-) So after 3 months, kumpleto na rin ang Analysis Plus. Hay naku! Hirap talaga kung may budget na dapat sundin.

Offline nephilim

• Collector
  • PureSound Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 03:28 PM »
Hi myKi,

Congratulations, I only noticed now that you got the A52s.  How are they compared to the A42s?  How much is a brand new 52 nowadays anyway?

« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2004 at 03:31 PM by nephilim »
PureSound Inc.

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 04:32 PM »
Hi nephilim,

Yes, I asked JR to upgrade my 42s to 52s and I only paid the difference.

I liked the 52s better since the mids were a lot meatier. Voices are more tonally accurate with the 52s. The bass goes slightly lower as well. The highs were exactly the same. Cymbals still sound eeringly real.

When using a receiver, imaging was better with the 42s. With the 52's, I had to find the perfect speaker placement and toe-in to get the perfect well-centered image. With the 42s, it imaged easier. But when I got the Rotel RMB-1075, even the 52s could easily image well like the 42s.

I'm willing to make a bet with anyone, P20,000! That I will not be upgrading my 52s for a looooong time. I would say at least 3 years.

I got the real-wood veneer version of the 52s for P39k+. Those who bought last year were truly lucky. The 42s are around P32k.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 06:04 PM »
Pareng Iceman, kung ikaw... would you go for the Analysis Plus Oval One rather than the XLO Twinax? Malayo ba ang tunog?

that's a hard question to answer... borrow both and let us know which one you liked ;D

nme drop mo ako (vince) para magka discount ako... este ikaw pala ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2004 at 06:05 PM by iceman90a »
money is best spent

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 09:06 AM »
Iceman90a,

I borrowed both and I would have to say that the XLO Twinax sounded similar to my IXOS 104 (XHA203). Both had good bass, good highs (although the IXOS was a bit better), and good midrange.

When I plugged the AP Oval One, I was hoping that it would also sound the same... but it didn't. The voice of Stacey Kent lost the sibilance I was accustomed to. It became natural. What impressed me was the sound of the piano with the AP Oval One. It was definitely better than either the Twinax or my IXOS 104.

I will try out my friend's Transparent Link 200 (the one that I sold to him!) and compare that one as well.

that's a hard question to answer... borrow both and let us know which one you liked ;D

nme drop mo ako (vince) para magka discount ako... este ikaw pala ;D

Offline synchro

• Collector
  • when in doubt...go hybrid!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Oct 21, 2004 at 03:34 PM »
vince,

after a long hiatus from the Dynaudio sound (1.5 years ago...Audience 42), I recently got a chance to purchase a pre-owned Audience 50 in very mint condition.  Paired it with my Classe CA-100 (200 watts RMS X 2 @4 ohms) and now im wondering why I let go of my A42 and took a leave from the Dynaudio sound.  I have never heard of anything that can rival the sound of an A50 given the same price point.  im pretty confident that the A40,A42,A50, A52 and A52SE will even beat the hell out of speakers costing so much more.  Question lang bro....why did you sell your A52's? is it because you went for the tube amp route?
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2004 at 03:36 PM by synchro »

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Oct 21, 2004 at 05:01 PM »
vince,

after a long hiatus from the Dynaudio sound (1.5 years ago...Audience 42), I recently got a chance to purchase a pre-owned Audience 50 in very mint condition. Paired it with my Classe CA-100 (200 watts RMS X 2 @4 ohms) and now im wondering why I let go of my A42 and took a leave from the Dynaudio sound. I have never heard of anything that can rival the sound of an A50 given the same price point. im pretty confident that the A40,A42,A50, A52 and A52SE will even beat the hell out of speakers costing so much more. Question lang bro....why did you sell your A52's? is it because you went for the tube amp route?

Yup! i fell for the magic of tubes :) actually the dynes were sacrificed for a cd player upgrade - so i can honestly say, di ko sila pinagpalit sa ibang speakers ;D

Uy ikaw ba nakakuha nung kay Bensan? grabe good price yun! ;D padinig naman minsan :)

may alam pa ako makukunan ulit ng Audience 50 - pero di ko share, reserved na sakin yun in case magka amp ulit ako na kayang i-drive  :-X  ;D
money is best spent

Offline synchro

• Collector
  • when in doubt...go hybrid!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Oct 21, 2004 at 10:01 PM »
Uy ikaw ba nakakuha nung kay Bensan? grabe good price yun! ;D padinig naman minsan :)

sure thing bro. text ka lang pag nasa area ka. pag naayos yung isa naming set up yun papadinig ko sa iyo. Yes the Dynes that I got was from Mr. Ben Santos.  He gave it to me at a very good price with stands to boot. 

may alam pa ako makukunan ulit ng Audience 50 - pero di ko share, reserved na sakin yun in case magka amp ulit ako na kayang i-drive  :-X  ;D

hehe...cant blame you bro.  for keeps talaga itong mga speakers na ito. If they only came out with 8 ohm/90db variants e di everybody happy  O0