Author Topic: NEXTBASE DVD  (Read 244761 times)

Offline bestbuy88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NEXTBASE DVD
« on: Jul 22, 2002 at 12:18 PM »
I went to quiapo last week to check out the Sosing which I am intending to buy (even if i already have promac dvd2002 and sast aep816).

unfortunately, and i could not believe it myself, wala halos nagbebenta ng GENERIC BRAND CHINA MADE DVD PLAYERS! this started when the great BRevilla went to quiapo to clean up the trade of our muslim brethren.

meron ngayon doon pero it is sold not in any of the raon electronic mall, but by the chinese reds, which PERSONALLY I DO NOT LIKE TO BUY FROM. not only are they technically "bobo" with these equipment, i am SURE that in case of defects, they cannot replace or entertain repairs at all.

the chinese reds are selling CJC, Starfast, Roxshin brands. One particular store, the one on the left corner at the second floor of the mall where Jolibee occupies the third floor, even has, get this: PHIILIPS brand!!!! pero, susmaryosep naman, HALATANG PEKENG PHILIPS.

price ranges from 4,700 to 5,500 depende sa brand (as if these generic china players have any differences to merit change of price!!!!)

Anyway, until i find SOSING, which i think is one step "better" than the SAST AEP816 (since it has all the qualities of SAST, including built in dts decoder, plus the ability to play discs that SAST CANNOT read!), i might have to put my intent to purchase on hold.

just a report to all. in short: thanks to the great BRevilla, hindi lang discs ang nilampaso niya, pati na rin retailers of dvd players.

asahan niyong dadami ulit ang kidnappings and holdups now that a lot of people who have been in this trade have gone jobless.

::)
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2003 at 04:56 PM by levi »

Offline wicket

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re:DVD Players: SCARCITY IN QUIAPO
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2002 at 05:52 PM »
Why would they hide the generic DVD players? These are not pirated naman right? I think BRevilla only has the right to confiscate pirated DVDs but not DVD players:)

If you find a place that sell sosing send me a PM. I might get one for myself as well:)

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2002 at 07:58 PM »
I thiink they've transferred to the Virra Mall in Greenhills, I was there last thursday, and by Gosh....it indeed was a buyer's market for DVDs...may they be players or otherwise. ;) ;D
The talk nowadays is that , the Kapitan did create a diversionary tactic at Quiapo to revitallize the market in San Juan...opps ...Greenhills ;) ;D :o :o

Offline suriyiothai

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2002 at 10:14 PM »
 Yan ang next na ire-raid at nakaka-tape siya ng VHS at umaalma ang mga 'inggit' na branded na ang mamahal ng presyo. >:(Very reliable sources told me kaya better get na.
bestbuy,kindly post here kung may nakita ka nang bagong source especially ng Sosing at taga-dyan ka naman sa area na yan.Thanks!!!!
;)

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2002 at 10:29 PM »
meron ngayon doon pero it is sold not in any of the raon electronic mall, but by the chinese reds, which PERSONALLY I DO NOT LIKE TO BUY FROM. not only are they technically "bobo" with these equipment, i am SURE that in case of defects, they cannot replace or entertain repairs at all.

MAY I BE ALLOWED TO REPHRASE THAT VERY TACTLESS AND IMPOLITE PARAGRAPH.

What i really wanted to express (and had to express it swiftly since i was on the verge of consuming my remaining internet prepaid hours) was that it is frustrating sometimes to buy from the Chinese Reds the DVD Players because they as well as their "untrained" salesladies, do not seem to really know what FEATURES AND CAPABILITIES these players have. All they know is "this brand cost this much, while this brand costs this much"  Of course, when you ask them if they will repair it in case of breakdown during the warranty period (ranges from a month to six), still it seems logically "unconvincing" that they will really be able to service these equipment they sell basing the fact that in the first place, they are "unaware" of what capabilities their various branded players can offer.

im glad though that the second floor, rearmost store that has lots of AHHOO speakers/vcd players streamers strewn all over his stall was MAN ENOUGH to admit that in case of breakdown, HE CANNOT SERVICE IT AND THAT I MUST GO SCOUT FOR MY OWN TECHNICIAN. IN FACT, HE IS NOT GIVING ANY WARRANTY TO ANY BRAND OF EQUIPMENT HE SELLS.

That might sound like a big "turn off" to buy from him. But heck, lets give him much credit for at least being HONEST.

sincerely,

bestbuy88

PS: i went there again today, and ang brand ngayon na nagkakalat is SAMWON (4,700 - 4,800), ATECS (5,000 pero pangit aesthetically), TAMAYASHI (another aesthetically pangit) and guess what... PROMAC DVD PLAYERS IN THREE NEW MODELS: DVD-2003, 2004 (YATA) PLUS ONE MORE I FORGOT. The cheapest Promac (dvd-2003) goes for 5,100 and most expensive (and bulky chasis too, not slim as SAST) demand 6,000pesos (personally, thats not a good priced unit)

Conclusion: There are two stores selling NEXTBASE dvd players. It comes in silver/aluminum finish (my preference) and the champagne gold (too trying hard to look like pioneer but obviously not). Cost 5,000pesos. Why did i say this unit seems interesting? it is the only "brand" that at least you can go search in www.yahoo.com and get results. Meaning, mas may "name" na siguro, although what you can see in the net search's result in NOT the nextbase dvd player being sold in quiapo (model DVD-9000). What yields in the net search is NextBase's PORTABLE SLEEK DVD PLAYER. hmmmm...... thats seems interesting indeed.  The logo appearing on the Portable DVD player that will appear in yahoo.com's search is EXACTLY THE SAME LOGO DESIGN you see in the quiapo electronics mall.

In fact, it is so far the ONLY generic brand i have noticed that really has its own design. Kasi brands like ATECS and TAMAYASHI are EXACTLY THE SAME TO THE LAST DETAIL, nagbago lang sa CHAPA. So with Samwon and some hard to pronounce brand that i have forgtten.

NEXTBASE, YOU ARE MY NEXT TARGET!

bestbuy88
july 22
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2002 at 07:02 AM by firewired »

Offline suriyiothai

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2002 at 01:08 AM »
 :D
 Kindly post your reviews sa Nextbase player as compared to the Sosing. Thanks again!

Offline Racio

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2002 at 01:38 PM »

I went to quiapo last week to check out the Sosing which I am intending to buy (even if i already have promac dvd2002 and sast aep816).

unfortunately, and i could not believe it myself, wala halos nagbebenta ng GENERIC BRAND CHINA MADE DVD PLAYERS! this started when the great BRevilla went to quiapo to clean up the trade of our muslim brethren.

the chinese reds are selling CJC, Starfast, Roxshin brands. One particular store, the one on the left corner at the second floor of the mall where Jolibee occupies the third floor, even has, get this: PHIILIPS brand!!!! pero, susmaryosep naman, HALATANG PEKENG PHILIPS.

price ranges from 4,700 to 5,500 depende sa brand (as if these generic china players have any differences to merit change of price!!!!)

Anyway, until i find SOSING, which i think is one step "better" than the SAST AEP816 (since it has all the qualities of SAST, including built in dts decoder, plus the ability to play discs that SAST CANNOT read!), i might have to put my intent to purchase on hold.

just a report to all. in short: thanks to the great BRevilla, hindi lang discs ang nilampaso niya, pati na rin retailers of dvd players.

asahan niyong dadami ulit ang kidnappings and holdups now that a lot of people who have been in this trade have gone jobless.

::)

Hi bestbuy88,

If you're still interested in the Sosing DVD-S2888, you might want to check out the pier mall in Manila (the one near the rotunda). I'd like to believe that the merchants there would still have stocks of the Sosing's since I saw a considerable number of units being sold when bought mine about a month and a half ago.

-Racio  8)

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
short review: NEXTBASE
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2002 at 06:51 PM »
hi,

i was again along quiapo this afternoon (as if i wasnt going there intentionally!! ahahahaa), and guess what, i saw a stall inside the RAON ELECTRONIC MALL attaching a NEXTBASE DVD-9000 player to their SMALL 14" MONO sharp TV set, colored.

they were playing Collateral Damage, clear copy.

well, i could not resist but try one feature that will let me decide easier whether to pursue NEXTBASE and probably forget SOSING for a while.

Feature i was looking to confirm; DTS BUILT IN DECODER.

politely, i asked the saleslady how much, 5,000daw no tawad na, after small chitchats... kunwari wala akong alam sa dvd gadgets, i asked if i may see/look at the REMOTE CONTROL.

she handed it to me, and kunwari, i was pindot pindot on it na walang malisya, when i chanced upon the key AUDIO (which, if it was Promac would be "language" counterpart) to determine if DTS decoder was built it.

I pressed AUDIO BUTTON, AND THE screen displayed "AC3-5.1" on the upper left corner of the monitor.

again i pressed it when the display disappeared, and again it showed "AC3-5.1" notice as the audio set up currently on play.

disappointed that the DTS did not seemed built in, i thought why not pressed the AUDIO KEY simultaneously, baka sakaling mag shift to DTS??

Well, thats what i did......

.... and guess what happened?

tobe continued tomorrow. naubusan na ako ng internet time!!!

ahahaahahhaa....

bitin!!

sincerely,

bestbuy88
july 23, 2002

Offline alfred

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2002 at 09:46 PM »
Bestbuy88,

Kakainis ka . Ginawa mong Pangako sa Iyo... ;D

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Racio, how is Sosing?
« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2002 at 02:49 AM »
hi Racio,

so you own a Sosing? well how is it so far? do you also own other brand of dvd player? if you do, what are the models/brands you own and how does Sosing stack up?

am i right that indeed, like sast aep816, the sosing HAS built in dts decoder?

am i right that Sosing is good/verygood/excellent player kasi it plays ALL KINDS of discs, at hindi masyadong namimili ng bala? o, meron ka ring mga discs that are unplayable? if you do, what kind and titles did the sosing failed to read/play?

thanks in advance for your feedbak on sosing, my once "crowned" prince of the generics!!!

sincerely,

bestbuy88
july 24, 2002
255am

Offline Racio

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re:Racio, how is Sosing?
« Reply #10 on: Jul 24, 2002 at 07:24 AM »
hi Racio,

so you own a Sosing? well how is it so far? do you also own other brand of dvd player? if you do, what are the models/brands you own and how does Sosing stack up?

am i right that indeed, like sast aep816, the sosing HAS built in dts decoder?

am i right that Sosing is good/verygood/excellent player kasi it plays ALL KINDS of discs, at hindi masyadong namimili ng bala? o, meron ka ring mga discs that are unplayable? if you do, what kind and titles did the sosing failed to read/play?

thanks in advance for your feedbak on sosing, my once "crowned" prince of the generics!!!

sincerely,

bestbuy88
july 24, 2002
255am

Hi bestbuy88,

Among the generic brands, I started w/ the SAST AEP-816, then a Sosing DVD-S2888, and lastly a Xenon DVD-810D. All of the said DVD players feature a DD5.1/DTS decoder. However, since I often utilize my receiver’s DAC and bypass the player’s, I can’t absolutely confirm that their decoders work w/o any hitches.

Aside from the odd “vibrating” operation of the Sosing’s, there’s nothin’ much else (yet) to gripe about. Actually, before I bought the Xenon, the Sosing was my final “test bench”, if you will, in the sense that if ever I want to check a recently purchased bootleg's playability, I’d usually end up playin’ the disk on the Sosing. Because recently, I noticed that my SAST has been freezing on a number of P-types that I’ve bought, but some would eventually run w/o hiccups on the Sosing. (My kids btw, love watching those newly released movies again and again, most especially right after seeing ‘em on the big screen.) So if I’d come across disks that still won’t play on the Sosing, then back to the Abus they go.  :-\

It was primarily due to this particular SAST quirk that brought about my purchase of the Xenon (my kids wouldn’t let go of their beloved Sosing). At a glance, you’d think the Xenon is an exact replica of the Sosing. It'd even play the disks the Sosing's would but the SAST won't. But closer inspection and further fiddling would reveal that the Xenons are of slightly higher quality. Heck, they come w/ a 1 year warranty and backed up by Pioneer (well, that’s what I’ve been told).  ::)

The SAST is undeniably the prettier of the three. They look like the new model Philips (Q-something) recently came out w/. But its sensitivity, or lack thereof, to its remote controller is quite frustrating. For my unit, I’d have to come real close to the player in order for it to detect a signal from its remote.

So, in my humble opinion, among the three mentioned, the most bang for your valued dough is the Sosing (got it at P5T from that pier mall), then the Xenon (P6.5T at Western), and lastly the SAST (P5.9T from the Abus a few months back).  :)

Again, I don’t want to discount the possibility that I might just have “lemon” samples to begin w/, so please take what I wrote here w/ a li’l grain of salt.

Cheers then,
Racio  8)
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2002 at 10:55 AM by Racio »

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re:NEXTBASE DVD (was:Scarcity in Quiapo)
« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2002 at 07:32 AM »
-continuation of the "pindot pindot remote"

well, i thought "why not press the AUDIO KEY simultaneously, instead of hitting it with a pause? perhaps that will change the set up to switch from 5.1 to DTS, IF THE NEXTBASE INDEED HAS A DTS DECODER BUILT IN.

then again, the disc playing was a P type....so the "chances" that it will show DTS might not be that good for me to have a confirmation.

but hey, what the heck, i got the remote on my hands and so JUST CLICK IT AWAY!

so thats what i did; pressed the AUDIO KEY simultaneously......

then...

..... the screen FROZE!

for around 2 seconds.....

....and then......

to be continued... sumakit lang po tiyan ko. gotta answer the call of nature.

sowee!! :o

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2002 at 03:33 AM »
(cont)

so i did simultaneously pressed the AUDIO key to try if there was DTS built in decoder. though half of me has resigned since the disc being played might not be a DTS encoded film afterall.

well, what did ou think? when i first pressed the AUDIO key, again the "AC3/5.1" logo came out on the upper left hand of the screen, but since i pressed it simultaneously......the screen suddenly froze, for around 2 seconds, and then it continued to play.... this time.... THE DTS LOGO/NOTICE APPEARING ON THE UPPER LEFT HAND SIDE ALREADY!

IT HAS DTS DECODER BUILT IN INDEED!!! CONFIRMED!!!

I immediately glanced at the players flourescent panel, hoping to see the small DTS words light up, just like the SAST would do when DTS is enabled. WELL, THE DTS MARK APPEARED LIGHTED INDEED IN THE FLOURESCENT DISPLAY!!!

YEHEY!!!

But a minor quirk: remember that this was installed to a small SAHRP tv, colored, MONO set up. Thus, when DTS was enabled, I DONT KNOW WHY BUT NO SOUND CAME OUT FROM THE TV SET! I would like to think that since only ONE audio cable was hooked to the monitor, siguro, DTS uses a diffferent frequency whatsoever, kaya the MONO TV could not handle it anyway so no audio came out. I hope I am right in m theroization.

(Yet how come when playbacked in AC#/5.1, meron naman audio? hmmm.....)

anyway, i am 80% convinced that at 5,000pesos, nextase SEEMS to be the new crowned prince of the generic players. simply because SOSING is nowhere to be found in Raon Electronic Mall.

And, i hope the salesman (owner) is honest when he said that after sales service is not a problem, kasi MERON LOCAL AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER, HINDI ITO TULAD DAW NG SAMWON OR ATECS NA WALANG SERVICE CENTER.

I failed/did not ask which or who is the service center. Baka magalit na ang owner kasi kulit ko eh wa naman akong perang dala to buy it yet.

Pera. babalikan ko iyan. for sure.

ehehehehe....

Conclusion: magpindot ng magpindot lalo na kung di mo pa binili.  Oh by the way, the back audio/video jacks seemed many. SEEMED lang kasi di ko talaga nasilip kasi it was placed inside their stall and nakakahiya na to ask them to "please make a quarter turn" request to them para lang makita ko ang likuran ng player. ehehehe...

sincerely,

Charot Santos
ahahahahaa.. (kasi ginawang telenovela pa ang report eh)
july 26

Offline jandara

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2002 at 06:11 AM »
 Paki-share naman where in Quiapo yung mga Nextbase players atbp.
Salamat!  8)

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2002 at 06:50 AM »
you can find the NEXTBASE DVD PLAYER at the mall called RAON ELECTRONIC MALL, along quezon avenue.

if from espana ust going to quiapo, after the underpass, its on your RIGHT SIDE. if you see the CHOWKING RESTO, that is the mall already.

proceed through the corridor of chowking going into the mall, you will see on your right side a stall selling cellular phones. take a look at the stall immediately to your left naman, corner store, puro vcd players patong patong. meron silang display glass stand and in it nandoon various dvd players for sale. MAKIKITA MO ANG NEXTBASE on the left side display area.

5,000pesos daw, tapat na. pero i doubt. siguro 4,500? ehehehe..

when i buy it soon, i will give thorough review, complete with macrovision infos, quirks.

but, b4 i buy im bringing with me all the discs that my promac/sast cannot read. IF THE NEXTBASE CANT READ IT TOO, then i am not buying it.

Instead, i will head the suggestion of a member to go to port area and check that place. i havent been there at all.

sincerely,

bestbuy88

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2002 at 08:37 AM »

(cont)

But a minor quirk: remember that this was installed to a small SAHRP tv, colored, MONO set up. Thus, when DTS was enabled, I DONT KNOW WHY BUT NO SOUND CAME OUT FROM THE TV SET! I would like to think that since only ONE audio cable was hooked to the monitor, siguro, DTS uses a diffferent frequency whatsoever, kaya the MONO TV could not handle it anyway so no audio came out. I hope I am right in m theroization.

(Yet how come when playbacked in AC#/5.1, meron naman audio? hmmm.....)

sincerely,

Charot Santos
ahahahahaa.. (kasi ginawang telenovela pa ang report eh)
july 26

Dear Charot Santos,
      It seems your Nextbase has a DTS  Pass thru...and  not a decoder, however to confirm you'll have to attach the 5.1 analog out to a receiver that has..and if the DTS sundtrack has been chosen and sound gets emitted via your analog 5.1 set-up then indeed you have a DTS decoder on board your DVD player.
     Do try to keep in mind that DTS is purely digital and to have an on-board processor simply means it has converted the digital signals within the player itself...thus becuase of the magnitude of the bit size it can only pass thru the appropirate channels that can accomodate them..in this case a separate 5.1 output..thus no sound can pass the 2 channels that we usually connect to.
    Kindly relay our info to Bestbuy88...and Ms. Charot...welcome to PinoyDVD. ;)
                                                        Alfie ;D

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 26, 2002 at 11:35 PM »
I was in Raon this afternoon, I saw the Nextbase DVD player and the DTS logo in the chassis is "DTS- Digital Out" and Not "DTS- Digital Surround". Thus I agree with Alfie about the DTS feature of this player. It doesnt seem to produce onboard DTS sound.  As for Bestbuy experience, it does not produce a single sound when switch to DTS, for we all know that a DVD player will produce DTS sound in analog audio outputs when it has DTS decoder on board.

Furthermore I was not impressed in the physical appearance of the NEXTBASE, I still prefer Xenon and SAST in terms of features and apperance.

Why not try the Philips DVD player, progressive scan, DTS and DOLBY DIGITAL onboard, also MP3 and a picture CD for at about P 13,XXX.XX only?

:-) just a suggestion

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
I BOUGHT IT
« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2002 at 05:05 AM »
well yesterday afternoon, i finally bought the NEXTBASE dvd-9000 in quiapo for 5,000pesos.

this is a short initial report of what i saw after installing it in my room.

but before that, my impression with regards to philander's posting:

1. yups, sast aep-816 remains to be the sleekest among the china made players, rivaling only PHILIPS which is the design i think it "copied" from.

2. aesthetically, nextbase is not pangit naman. it is maganda na rin actually, compared lets say to MASTAR, SAMWON.  No contest ang mga Atecs, even Promac is not as "beautiful" as NextBase, in my honest opinion. Of course medyo subjective na. But suffice to say, hindi mukhang generic ang design ng chasis. At least, hindi TABINGI ang logo ng Nextbase, di tulad ng lahat ng ATECS. ahahhaha....

(ipagtanggol ba naman ang nextbase? ahahhhaha)

now for the report:

1. the remote control is color black, not like promac which is white. sast is greyish. my impression is people with eyesight problem might not like the remote control design of nextbase (from this on, NB na lang ang type ko, haba kasi ahahahaha) because THE WORDS PRINTED ABOVE THE KEYS ARE SO SMALL AND PRINTED IN VERY LIGHT WHITE COLOR!!! I HAVE TO REALLY MOVE THE REMOTE CONTROL CLOSE TO MY EYES BEFORE I CAN SEE WHAT COMMAND TO PUSH. Advice: wrap it in plastic supot otherwise, constant use might BURA the prints and if you arent adept, baka makalimot mo ang functions ng key na iyon.

2. NO DING SOUND DURING EJECT. I kinda miss that bigla, having been used to it in both sast and promac. ahahaha...

3. Power button on chasis; power on/off button also in remote to put it on standby. during standby, a small red led is lit, similar to promac.  I wonder why sast did not incorporate such feature.

4. no karaoke control to make higher/lower pitch. there are mic1 and mic2 input jack and mic1/mic2 volume control though on the chasis. promac dvd2002 has karaoke full function key up/down kasi.

5. the cd tray to put the dvd disc seems a bit "wide" that when you put a disc on the tray, feeling mo parang "ay, tama na ba ang pasok ko? parang lawlaw?" pero actually its also "good" kasi you dont have to really put the disc perfectly fitted in the tray (which is the case on promac and sast)

6. plays all region. plays pal disc in full color and sound to a dedicated ntsc tv. that is my current set up and tested to work perfectly.

7. MACROVISION TO BE TESTED TONGIHT SO PLEASE WAIT FOR IT.

8. DTS MAY KONTING WEIRDNESS. to be discussed on a separate posting. suffice to say, my NB is attached to my stereo 21" samsung using the provided yellow/red/white audio/video jacks. When i place a DTS disc (behind enemy lines), and hit the audio button to switch from the default AC#/5.1 sound to DTS, NO SOUND COMES OUT FROM THE SPEAKERS OF MY SAMSUNG TV.  I DONT KNOW WHY.  I wonder aloud kasi if i installed my SAST into my samsung tv, and hit DTS audio, THERE IS SOUND COMING OUT AND THE SOUND IS DIFFERENT PA NGA FROM THAT IN SAST'S NORMAL 5.1 AUDIO OUTPUT.  I will discuss this further kasi it has something to do with the SETUP/AUDIO control of the NB's user setup interface (which btw is NOT the same at all from promac or sast; iba ang NB setup on screen display, the nearest i can think it appears to be  the same are from that of PIONEER BRANDS)

And finally, also the best feature of all..........

....IT PLAYED ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL THE DISCS THAT BOTH SAST AND PROMAC DID NOT PLAY. ALLLLLLLL!!!! KAYA STARTING LAST NIGHT, WALA NA AKONG DVD NA NAKALAGAY SA KAHON KASI DATI, ALL UNREADABLE DISCS I BOUGHT, KINAKAHON KO NA LANG. PERO LAST NIGHT, NILABAS KO LAHAT NG NASA KAHON AND LAHAT TUMUGTOG SA NB!!!! YIPEEEE!!!!!!

NEEDLESS TO SAY, NB ALSO PLAYED ALL THE DISCS THAT PROMAC AND SAST COULD READ.

SO, AS OF NOW, I THINK I HAVE TO REPOLISH THE CROWN I ONCE BESTOWED UPON SOSING DVD PLAYER, AND I HAVE TO FIND A MEAN TO SNATCH IT SO I MIGHT/CAN CROWN NEXTBASE DVD9000 AS THE "NEW" KING OF THE GENERIC PLAYERS!!!!

sincerely,

bestbuy88
july 26,2002

CONCLUSION PALA: RECOMMENDED. (i will have to do further tests, particularly the DTS audio and macrovision before i can revised my current "recommended" position to "highly recommended")

Offline louie

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 09:15 PM »
hi
im new here at pinoyDVD

anyway, i'm currently planning to buy my 1st DVD player and been reading the threads on those china made players, mukhang ok naman. I went to quiapo last saturday and found a SOSING dvd player for 5k.
ok na kaya yun or should i choose SAST or NEXTBASE...

REGARDS

Offline iceman_1900

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 10:22 PM »
hi best buy!

i am new here & i was actually browsing through the threads for the past week.

well i was influenced by your feedback with respect to the NextBase DVD player & i actually bought my first DVD player, the NextBase, just last Sunday. :)

the player was aesthetically Ok to look at., not like the other China made players. :)

i have some DVDs already purchased which i was viewing using my PC. however not all can be read by my PC thats why i decided to buy a DVD player na. the discs were DVD 9 (pdiscs nga lang). well, i tried viewing it using my NB player but somehow some cant still be read (also 1 disc which can be read by my PC pero ayaw sa NB) :(. sayang kasi medyo di ko pa rin talaga napapanood yung mga discs.  meron pa kaya kailangan sa setup?  help naman....

thanks!

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 04:46 AM »
louie,

personally, i will not try to influence your decision because you are choosing between two very good players, sast and nextbase.

however, be forewarned that the sast will be a choosier player since not all the discs i own can be viewed with the sast; but all my discs now can be played with nextbase.

sast's edge over nextbase might be the "better" dts built in encoder, AESTHETICALLY CLASSY, slimmer chasis (but hot internally as proven by holding the disc after you eject). Cons might be inavailability of a local authorized service center (pa rin yata)

nextbase's edge will/might be the playability of most, if not all (kasi sabi ni iceman he is having problems pa rin) discs, a bulkier chasis that does not cause the disc to be really hot but rather just lukewarm to touch after viewing, THE ALLEGED availability of local service center (and two retailers in virramall one of which is nintendo electronics, told me that PIONEER IS THE SERVICE CENTER FOR NEXTBASE, as well as their inhouse brand "elecom").

i leave that to you to decide.

iceman,

well siguro the disc itself has problem? if i might be correct, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DVD REGION 9 IN TERMS OF THE INTERNATIONAL DVD REGION CODING. HANGGANG REGION 8 LANG. that is why, to me, i do not understand why people buy DVD9 when in fact, it does not seem to be "better" in my honest opinion than an ALL REGION type of disc.  If i have to find a "reason/culprit" it might have to be that the NB player does not recognize a region higher than 8. It might sound illogical, but heck, baka thats the reason! di ba? ehehehe...

i suggest you to bring that region 9 disc to other people who have players of different brand and try if it plays. if not, then have to double consolation that the NB is not (yet) a lemon brand, as well as confirming that the disc itself is a problematic one.

sincerely,

bestbuy88 (worried that i have influenced iceman and it seemed my review did "harm" than "good" to him. apologies extended. BTW, you should have BROUGHT your problematic discs AND TRIED IT AT THE STORE BEFORE YOU BOUGHT IT. I BROUGHT all 12 problematic titles unreadable in promac and sast to try it on the NB before doing the actual buy. A little tedious but its a wise move in the long end)

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 08:52 AM »

well siguro the disc itself has problem? if i might be correct, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DVD REGION 9 IN TERMS OF THE INTERNATIONAL DVD REGION CODING. HANGGANG REGION 8 LANG. that is why, to me, i do not understand why people buy DVD9 when in fact, it does not seem to be "better" in my honest opinion than an ALL REGION type of disc.  If i have to find a "reason/culprit" it might have to be that the NB player does not recognize a region higher than 8. It might sound illogical, but heck, baka thats the reason! di ba? ehehehe...

I think that they in reality they meant DVD9 dual layer and not region 9.Region 8 as far as I know is for airplanes.Hmm?tama ba? :) The Pirates like to call it region 9, maybe they are considered a whole different region by themselves. So bagong term is Region 9 pirated disc. ;D ;D ;D
Elf 8)
It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance

Offline iceman_1900

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 09:16 AM »
tama si elf.  yung DVD 9 ay yung dual layer ata for the p discs.

bestbuy,
no need to apologize kung na-influence mo ako.  oks pa rin naman siya overall. :) wala na kasi akong makita na sast o sosing na players e. :( pero do you know if may limitation nga itong NB player? yung isang DVD 9 na disc nagru-run sa JVC na player so i assume walang diperensya yung disc. yung isa naman nagru-run sa PC pero hindi sa NB. dahil kaya dual layer na pdisc yung mga ito.

hows the NB review coming? i'm still interested kasi. medyo expert ka na rin ako bago pa lang. :)

thanks!

Offline kb14

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 01, 2002 at 03:59 PM »
can you pls enlighten me about the DTS thingy?im planning to get a dvd player this weekend and i still can't choose what to buy (from the reviews of NB,Sosing,SASt).i most probably buy the p-dvds.(sorry,those are only i can afford :'() so im hoping for a p-dvd firendly dvd player.i rily respect your opinions and comments on what dvd player to get.thanks vmuch! :D

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 01, 2002 at 05:21 PM »
KB14  DTS is an Audio Digital Format that carries a lot more bit rate than the usual way digital sound is being generated.  Simply put...it's a way of presenting Digital sound as perceived during the actual presentation of a movie. It's has a totally different capacity than the usual Dolby Digital 5.1 format that often accompanies the DVD currently available in the market.
Having a bigger memory need does not neccessarily turns a movie  better. At times the usual Dolby Digital comes off better.
It is a prerequisite for a DTS track to have a DVD player that can process it to pass thru(otherwise your player wont play or just hung)....since it has a larger memory base, aside from that you'll be needing an instrument called an amplifier that will process this digital bits into the sound that makes them as perceptably natural as possible. Some DVD players have claimed that they have an on board DTS processor...however..it simply means that sounds coming in from a DTS track can be processed and turned analog right there in the player and audio will become perceptable even if you'll utilized the lowly RCA analog connectors..but the sad fact is...your'e really back to the stereo mode..maybe much louder version since an on board processor had converted it into such.
I hope it's quite clear by now..however, if I did confused you more and another set of questions are begging to be answered ...let me then lead you to..another thread aptly titled DTS vs. DD 5.1 can be found in the Audio  thread. Lastly KB14...just in case that this will be your first DVD player..may I suggest that you consider a branded player with a known track record and reliable service center...such as some Japanese (Pioneer,Kenwood) and European (Philips) made brands. You'll be surprised that this DVD players are quite cheap and might be only a few pesos higher than the present China Based branded DVD players your'e eyeing. Kindly browse thru the Pioneer, Philips and other related threads such as the Sony,Pioneer, or Philips thread that's currently buried here in this Sources forum. Better to exercise patience and contemplate well... before buying any electronic equipment nowadays, since you can as well conclude from most of the posts shared here..there are indeed a lot of lemons out there.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2002 at 05:32 PM by Alfie »

Offline kb14

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 01, 2002 at 08:17 PM »
thank you sir alfie! :Di'l look up those threads you're saying.what specs and features do i should look for in a player?

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re:NEXTBASE DVD macrovision
« Reply #26 on: Aug 02, 2002 at 06:26 AM »
hi guys,

just confirming:

NEXTBASE DVD-9000 has disabled macrovision therefore you CAN record directly to a vhs tape in full stereo and video. no problemos at all.

equipment used in this test were:

1. nextbase dvd player
2. region 1 wonder boys dvd
3. philips six head stereo vhs recorder (sori 4got the exact model ehehhee...)
4. TDK blank vhs T-180

Hope this info help esp those who are still lurking in search for the ultimate dvd.

so far, NB has been keeping up its expectations i seek.

ONE QUIRK:

I have this pdisc All the President's Men which did not play in sast, samsung dvd905 nor promac dvd-2000. IT STILL WONT PLAY WITH THE NB. I strongly suspect it is the disc's problem though. ehehehe.... sayang what a great movie pa naman!

:o :o

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 02, 2002 at 01:09 PM »
what specs and features do i should look for in a player?

KB14  Basically this are the only things I look for;
1) Multiregion- So that Title choices are not limited.
2) Internal PAL/NTSC convertor- let me also answer here the question you posted in the Pioneer thread...NTSC and PAL/SECAM are broadcast signals that are being transmitted to your Television set in order that an image be produced. They have different names since they differ in the Image frame  per time difference(not sure which is which one is 4.5 other is 5...to the techies help ??? ) anyway...since they differ...Television(or a VHS/VCD/DVD player) with a PAL format cannot interpret finely an NTSC broadcast and vice versa...hence the picture quality will be distorted to become either black and white with wavy and annoying lines.
Now an Internal converter is a first among DVD players...in fact some DVD players have Internal convertors that translate a PAL signal to a NTSC even in specifically made NTSC Televisions, hence you wont need any Multisytem TVs in order to enjoy titles coming from countries like the United Kingdom or Saudi Arabia whose main signals are of the PAL format.
3) Autovolt-this is self explanatory
4) With 5.1 audio output- this is an analog output...it's better to have one available just in case you'll try to go cheap and utilized those utilitarian amplifiers being sold in Raon(really temptingly cheap)
5) Dolby Digital 5.1 and better if DTS decoder is included- The reason explains #4...since I believe that if you have an on board decoder for DD 5.1 and DTS...one should utilize the specified analog out(if you do not have the digital amps and decided to utilized the Utilitarian type of amplifiers) and not revert back to the usual 2 channel stereo.(if not why the heck did you choose the DTS track ??? :o )
6) with S-Video out- for clarity ,component out is just a bonus since you'll be needing a TV with a component inputs too,,,hence an added expense.

Lastly, try to forget about the 96/24 audio capabilty, SACD,DVD Audio and the progressive scan( again to answer your question...briefly...it works so hard to remove lines, inasmuch that the picture quality becomes film like...that's progressive scan..but is it really that good??? check out your computer monitor..no lines right..that's proigressive...however...TV's are interlaced hence you'll need a Digital TV which costs around PHp 89,000 cheapest to really appreciate this) since your primary objective is to first experince the far out qualities of the DVD player and the above mentioned capabilities are for those who have hobbies other than just enjoying the full capabiliites of the DVD player.....since if you'll really be fair about it...it's really a lot and to fully appreciate it and make the most of your purchase..I believe..you should have a dedicated player. ;) ;D

p.s. I bumped the progressive scan thread for you it's in the General Forum under  Home theater  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2002 at 03:29 PM by Alfie »

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #28 on: Aug 03, 2002 at 01:38 AM »
NEXTBASE DVD is now going for P4,500.00 at Raon Electronic Center.  Check it out! ;D

Offline j@y

• DVD Addict
  • ThuG LuviN'
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 03, 2002 at 02:40 AM »
I'm thinking of buying a DVD Player.Would this Nextbase DVD Player do the job for me so i just can play most of my Region 3 DVDs? I only have a budget of P5,000. I'm not worried about playing p*****d DVDs because I hardly buy them. I just need a backup player so I can stop using my PS2 as a DVD player and my Portable DVD player as a VCD player(yup that's right VCD ;D ).
LG Infinia 55LW5600 55" LED 3D
Onkyo TX-SR606
Sony SS-F7000
Sub - PA-120W 500w
Sony PS3