Author Topic: NEWBIES Read this first: DVD FAQ  (Read 36217 times)

Offline r_Y_@_n

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • andre marcus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NEWBIES Read this first: DVD FAQ
« Reply #60 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 01:19 AM »
Question:

I used to collect pirated DVDs and would always look for the Malaysia version (as opposed to China version na copied from R3 original) since they are copied from R1 dvd and would always boast of their DTS track. Now, I've been collecting original DVDs and still look for those with DTS track. I've just observed na mas malakas and mas maganda yata DTS audio ng pirated kaysa DTS audio ng original DVDs na nabili ko. I would know kasi I would always set the volume at 15 (30 is maximum) of my DVD component. With my pirated DVDs, I would sometimes have to adjust the volume down to 12 kasi sobrang lakas and parang nayayanig yung house. But with my original DVDs, kahit DTS yung audio, yung volume 15 hindi kasing lakas ng pirated. PQ wise superior talaga orig pero I miss the earth-shaterring DTS sound. Is it because R3 yung original ko and yung pirated DVDs R1? 

im not an expert but maybe i can help... i dont think na since its an R3 dvd thats the problem. because even if like you said your p****** copy is copied from R1, nababago pa din yung quality nun because of the size of the disc they're using. most dvds use double sided dvd9 discs, while yung p****** uses only single sided dvd5. so the smaller the space on the disc, mas compressed yung files so it sacrifices the quality, PQ and SQ wise.

are you using a DVD component with how many speakers sir? are you using a full 5.1 system? the reason im asking is, baka kaya you're saying before na sobra lakas ng p****** with DTS compared to an original with DTS is because the p******* disc may not have the same detail as the original disc. baka nga malakas siya, pero nde naman the same ang quality ng sound and detail. for me, its really not yung lakas but also the quality of the sound that you hear, the details of the scene that you're watching. like in subtle sound effects, yung rain scenes in ratatouille, scenes in master commander where you hear footsteps on top of you...  madami pa examples pero i cant think if anything more.

can you give me an example of an orig DVD that you have na mahina ang sound? maybe i can check if indeed mahina yung sounds niya...

for me, original is still the way to go for great PQ and SQ. but thats just me. hope this helps a bit.  ;)

just my 2 cents...  :D
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2008 at 01:23 AM by r_Y_@_n »

Offline cinemappostle

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 12:23 AM »
im not an expert but maybe i can help... i dont think na since its an R3 dvd thats the problem. because even if like you said your p****** copy is copied from R1, nababago pa din yung quality nun because of the size of the disc they're using. most dvds use double sided dvd9 discs, while yung p****** uses only single sided dvd5. so the smaller the space on the disc, mas compressed yung files so it sacrifices the quality, PQ and SQ wise.

are you using a DVD component with how many speakers sir? are you using a full 5.1 system? the reason im asking is, baka kaya you're saying before na sobra lakas ng p****** with DTS compared to an original with DTS is because the p******* disc may not have the same detail as the original disc. baka nga malakas siya, pero nde naman the same ang quality ng sound and detail. for me, its really not yung lakas but also the quality of the sound that you hear, the details of the scene that you're watching. like in subtle sound effects, yung rain scenes in ratatouille, scenes in master commander where you hear footsteps on top of you...  madami pa examples pero i cant think if anything more.

can you give me an example of an orig DVD that you have na mahina ang sound? maybe i can check if indeed mahina yung sounds niya...

for me, original is still the way to go for great PQ and SQ. but thats just me. hope this helps a bit.  ;)

just my 2 cents...  :D

Yeah, I'm using a full 5.1 system--sub, center speaker, left and right speakers, and left and right surround speakers. I haven't really thought about listening intently to those subtle but important little sounds and make the comparison. My focus right away, I guess, is the volume and intensity of the sound. I definitely will when I get home. While we're at it, does it then follow that the DTS track of R1 and R2 DVDs are of the same quality? For a while, I thought I should better order R1 DVDs through amazon because I might I enjoy the DTS sound that I've now been missing. Thanks!   

Offline r_Y_@_n

• DVD Addict
  • andre marcus
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 04:54 AM »
Yeah, I'm using a full 5.1 system--sub, center speaker, left and right speakers, and left and right surround speakers. I haven't really thought about listening intently to those subtle but important little sounds and make the comparison. My focus right away, I guess, is the volume and intensity of the sound. I definitely will when I get home. While we're at it, does it then follow that the DTS track of R1 and R2 DVDs are of the same quality? For a while, I thought I should better order R1 DVDs through amazon because I might I enjoy the DTS sound that I've now been missing. Thanks!   

for me, i guess DTS tracks of R1, R2 and R3 dvds SQ will be the same. i dont think there is a noticeable difference even if its R3.  :D

but thats just me... maybe we can wait for our gurus to reply as well...  goodluck!  :D

by the way sir, a little OT, what are your list of gears?  ;D

Offline dante117

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 02:10 AM »
Pasensya na kung pang noob question ko, tanong ko lang kung may difference ba in terms of PQ ang R1 and R3 DVDs?

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 02:27 AM »
Pasensya na kung pang noob question ko, tanong ko lang kung may difference ba in terms of PQ ang R1 and R3 DVDs?

In maybe rare cases siguro. But normally they should be pretty much the same.

Thing that ticks me off between R1 and R3 is the prints on the covers and the quality of the cases.

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #65 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 03:33 AM »
In maybe rare cases siguro. But normally they should be pretty much the same.

Thing that ticks me off between R1 and R3 is the prints on the covers and the quality of the cases.

I agree. Another thing I hate with R3 is not all R1 movies are available in R3. >:(

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #66 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 04:26 AM »
...and dont forget what happened last year to some of the R3 releases wherein there are local commercials which cannot be fastforwarded and you're forced to watch! :-\ (ex. spiderman 3 in jewel case)

and there were also some r3 release na nakalagay sa back part ng cover 5.1 audio pero 2 ch lang (ex. fracture).
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!