Author Topic: MACHO DANCER DVD  (Read 9014 times)

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MACHO DANCER DVD
« on: Aug 27, 2002 at 01:07 PM »
Is there a DVD of Lino Brocka's Macho Dancer? The movie is very touching to me and now I'm looking for a DVD of it. I went to Astrovision in many places but they all claim that there never was a DVD of Macho Dancer. But it's a Viva film and it's a classic and there should be a DVD of it somewhere.

Also what do you guys think of the film?

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re:MACHO DANCER DVD
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2002 at 06:24 PM »
Amazon is selling this Region 1 DVD for $26.99.  The DVD was released by  Strand Releasing Home Video last October 2001.  If you are planning on buying, do it soon.  Amazon says that they only have 5 copies left on stock ('though, for sure, this is not a fast-moving item among their DVDs).  

Go to the following link:  Macho Dancer DVD at Amazon.

rafgar
 :)

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2002 at 06:34 PM by DVDiva »

Offline ßartmaniac

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2002 at 07:14 PM »
RitchieNolasco, I've noticed you posted a duplicate thread in the Film & TV Talk.  For you to keep track of the replies to your queries easily, I suggest you just post in the most appropirate forum.  Just a friendly tip. :)
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2003 at 07:02 PM by ßa®tmaniac »

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2002 at 04:56 PM »
This really sucks! I went to 5 more video stores here selling Pinoy DVDs and they all claim that they never had a Macho Dancer DVD, nor do they have it coming to them.

Anyone here knows WHERE in the Philippines can I find and buy that DVD? That's a Viva film right? How come Viva told me there's no DVD of it from their library???

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2002 at 06:59 PM »
This really sucks! I went to 5 more video stores here selling Pinoy DVDs and they all claim that they never had a Macho Dancer DVD, nor do they have it coming to them.

Anyone here knows WHERE in the Philippines can I find and buy that DVD? That's a Viva film right? How come Viva told me there's no DVD of it from their library???

I don't think that the DVD was released locally by any Philippine distributor.  Based on the info at Amazon.com, the DVD was released by Strand Releasing Home Video, an independent distributor based in California.  I found out that the first movie released by this company was actually 'Macho Dancer'.  If you really would like to have a copy of the DVD, I guess you would have to order from the States or from an online store such as amazon.com.

rafgar
 ::)

Offline ßartmaniac

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2003 at 06:59 PM »
Just read this interesting info lifted from the text found on this DVD's back cover:

When Macho Dancer was first released theatrically, Fillpino censors severely edited many of the film's most explicit moments. This version is mastered from the sole surviving 35MM print of director Lino Brocka's original version, uncut and uncensored, smuggled out of the Philippines and shown to a limited number of international film festivals. This print is now part of the permanent collection at The Museum of Modern Art in New York.  :o
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2003 at 07:01 PM by ßa®tmaniac »

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2004 at 04:20 PM »
Anyone here saw the uncut version of Macho Dancer?

Could someone please list down the scenes that were taken out? Tnks.

Offline animal

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2004 at 01:42 PM »
hey do u know wer i can find bayan ko, jaguar posters? :) or do hve any pics of it? :)

Offline nailbiter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2004 at 03:40 PM »
Just read this interesting info lifted from the text found on this DVD's back cover:

When Macho Dancer was first released theatrically, Fillpino censors severely edited many of the film's most explicit moments. This version is mastered from the sole surviving 35MM print of director Lino Brocka's original version, uncut and uncensored, smuggled out of the Philippines and shown to a limited number of international film festivals. This print is now part of the permanent collection at The Museum of Modern Art in New York.  :o

So Viva's VCD release of Macho Dancer is the one with cuts? Got a copy of their Minsa'y Isang Gamugamo VCD, bukod sa may virus, walang opening at end credits. Parang di tuloy orig.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2004 at 06:07 AM »
Anyone here saw the uncut version of Macho Dancer?

Could someone please list down the scenes that were taken out? Tnks.
:) The shower scene on stage between Daniel Fernando & William Lorenzo was much longer. Also the opening scene where Pol (Alan Paule) was having sex with his American lover was longer. The scene inside the gay bar where Daniel Fernando & Alan Paule first met there was a scene where all the dancers were naked on stage playing with themselves.

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re: MACHO DANCER DVD
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 09:01 PM »
There's already a VCD version out locally. Wonder if it will be out on DVD locally.

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 09:27 AM »
Is the "Director's Masterpiece" edition being released by Viva Video different from the one released by Strand Releasing?

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 11:59 AM »
the DVD has been out for quite some time now.

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2005 at 09:44 PM »
Is the "Director's Masterpiece" edition being released by Viva Video different from the one released by Strand Releasing?

I saw this one also over at amazon. is there a difference between the "viva platinum" "director's masterpiece" edition and the strand release?

-----

from what i know viva's release has a trailer and a "critical look" featurette or documentary. not sure with the other release.

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 11:57 PM »
the dvd that was released here was supposedly the uncut version. it seems to be uncut since there were scenes i didn't remember seeing when i first saw it, mostly frontal shots of the macho dancers (not the stars themselves). it comes with another disc that has about a 15-min feature.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 06:33 PM »
the dvd that was released here was supposedly the uncut version. it seems to be uncut since there were scenes i didn't remember seeing when i first saw it, mostly frontal shots of the macho dancers (not the stars themselves). it comes with another disc that has about a 15-min feature.

huh u mean to say the local release has 2 disc inside?  :o