Author Topic: Sampaguita/Cinefilipino/Unitel DVDs  (Read 28693 times)

Offline riverfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sampaguita/Cinefilipino/Unitel DVDs
« on: Nov 11, 2006 at 11:01 AM »
i bought Nasaan Si Francis? DVD, and was browsing through the trailers, and was surprised that apart from the already released Karnal and Cain at Abel DVDs, there where trailers for the films (Mike De Leon's) Kisapmata, Raymond Red's Sakay and the more recent Ang Aking Pagkagising Mula Sa Ka Kamulatan, all under the Cinefilipino DVD catalog.

Hopefully, will see these wonderful titles real soon.

;D

« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2006 at 10:14 AM by riverfan »

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: Sampaguita/Cinefilipino/Unitel DVDs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2006 at 10:14 AM »
those looking for their fix of unitel DVDs, can get copies now at Powerbooks branches.

Sampaguita films are also available. Finally, some place other than mag.net to get DVDs. A friend of mine was able to get me titles not found at mag.net store. Namely, Jack en Jill and Bilanggong Birhen.

These titles are 51+pesos cheaper than those sold at mag.net and astrovision. Retail price is 399pesos compared to 450-465pesos.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2006 at 04:29 PM »
Sampaguita films are also available. Finally, some place other than mag.net to get DVDs. A friend of mine was able to get me titles not found at mag.net store. Namely, Jack en Jill and Bilanggong Birhen.

How's the picture/audio quality of those titles, riverfan? I purchased Big Broadcast, and if it's anything like that, then I think I'm going to have to pass on Sampaguita DVDs permanently. It was practically unwatchable for me.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2006 at 08:23 AM »
In terms of quality, i've only tested Bilanggong Birhen. Although, the movie itself is quite a treat. The picture and sound quality has deterioted quite significantly. Picture is not sharp, and is snowed in, too much brightness, voices and sound is mumbled at some parts that you'd have to increase the volume. I have to commend the menus, since, a lot of work has been done, the beginning is animated and the menu itself has a noirish orange tinge to it.

As much as i would like to say the same with the main feature, too much irreversible damage has already set in. And preserving what is left is probably the best that they can do at this point.

From the lot, Big Broadcast is probably the best, in terms of picture and sound quality. From my point of view.

:)
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2006 at 08:27 AM by riverfan »

Offline Qoheleth

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2006 at 09:24 AM »
those looking for their fix of unitel DVDs, can get copies now at Powerbooks branches.

These titles are 51+pesos cheaper than those sold at mag.net and astrovision. Retail price is 399pesos compared to 450-465pesos.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2006 at 08:43 PM »
too much irreversible damage has already set in. And preserving what is left is probably the best that they can do at this point.

From the lot, Big Broadcast is probably the best, in terms of picture and sound quality. From my point of view.

Oh. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll pass on all Sampaguita releases then - unless it's truly a film I just need to have in my collection.

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2006 at 08:45 AM »
Walang problema Mr. Hankey. How i wish that restoration can still be done on our films, alas, much is lost.

I would also love to see some LVN Pictures released under the cinefilipino banner, such as Anak Dalita, Biyaya ng Lupa and Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising:)

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2006 at 10:59 PM »
I also noticed "Tawag ng Tanghalan" and "Kurdapya" is available for rent in some websites, but not for sale at the cinefilipino website. How do i buy a copy of these? So sad about the deteriorating conditions of these. Is there any way maybe we could send the original film stock to Hollywood and have them work their restoration magic on them?

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2006 at 08:34 AM »
I havent been to other Powerbooks branches, but there is a possibility that these titles are available, since i've seen Jack and Jill at Powerbooks - Alabang Town Center. and most notably Bilanggong Birhen, which is listed as an "upcoming" release at the cinefilipino website, also at Powerbooks - ATC.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2006 at 08:34 AM by riverfan »

Offline butsoy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2006 at 02:56 PM »
Just went to Mag:Net store to check the prices. Around P400-450. Also went to Powerbooks in Greenbelt, saw a lot of Sampaguita titles like "Maalaala Mo Kaya", "Amy, Sussie, Tessie", "Bilanggong Birhen", "Big Broadcast" and "Jack En Jill".

Offline ciconneguy

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Movies and music make me happy. :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2007 at 11:01 PM »
bakit kaya walang hong kong holiday sa powerbooks at mag.net stores? favorite ko pa naman yun. sana i-release din ng unitel dito.

riverfan, tnx sa info ha. sa wakas nahanap ko rin ang mag.net sa greenbelt. :)
It's time for the good times. Forget about the bad times. :)

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2007 at 09:18 AM »
no problem po. Sayang nga eh, sana may HongKong Holiday ang mag.net and powerbooks.  :P

I've been to mag.net plus at paseo center, paseo de roxas. A long walk from greenbelt. and to my dismay, their selection is disappointing. They only have quite a few DVDs, namely titles that i dont want. Mag.net greenbelt has a better selection.

Offline ciconneguy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2007 at 12:48 AM »
no problem po. Sayang nga eh, sana may HongKong Holiday ang mag.net and powerbooks.  :P

I've been to mag.net plus at paseo center, paseo de roxas. A long walk from greenbelt. and to my dismay, their selection is disappointing. They only have quite a few DVDs, namely titles that i dont want. Mag.net greenbelt has a better selection.

hey riverfan, posted some msg sa regal thread regarding my phone call sa unitel. yup i also called magnet sa katipunan. same regal titles din but no sampaguita titles.

kumusta pala dvd ng karnal? malinaw ba? iniisip ko rin kung bibili pa ko nun e. kasi mahal sa magnet
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2007 at 12:50 AM by cicconeguy »

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2007 at 10:31 PM »
bakit kaya walang hong kong holiday sa powerbooks at mag.net stores? favorite ko pa naman yun. sana i-release din ng unitel dito.

sir, meron nang Hong Kong Holiday retail price is 399pesos / powerbooks branches.  ;D

Sana i-release narin ang Kurdapya and Tawag ng Tanghalan

Offline ciconneguy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2007 at 12:23 AM »
hi riverfan! yes nakita ko na hong kong holiday sa powerbooks. ill be buying it soon. have u seen it? kumusta ang video at audio ng dvd?

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 05:37 AM »
hi riverfan! yes nakita ko na hong kong holiday sa powerbooks. ill be buying it soon. have u seen it? kumusta ang video at audio ng dvd?

hindi pa ko nakakabili eh. may pinag-iipunan kasi ako ng pera. Baka matagalan pa ako ng bili. Pero, i'm really not expecting a high quality picture and sound.

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 10:12 PM »
Anyone been to mag:net lately, meron pa ba Magnifico? it was not available at Powerbooks Makati.
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline ciconneguy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 01:22 AM »
hindi pa ko nakakabili eh. may pinag-iipunan kasi ako ng pera. Baka matagalan pa ako ng bili. Pero, i'm really not expecting a high quality picture and sound.

naku ha, baka bahay at kotse na yan :)
kamusta ba yung mga nabili mong sampaguita dvds? para rin bang yung mga pinapalabas sa tv before? ganun din ang quality?

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 02:54 PM »
I bought around seven titles and the audio is marred by hissing sounds. I'm not a computer expert but I and a friend were able to remove similar problems using readily available software and an ordinary PC found in audio files captured from LP records. Perhaps they could have done the same, i.e., just demux, fix the audio, and mux.

Offline ciconneguy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 24, 2007 at 12:50 PM »
Anyone been to mag:net lately, meron pa ba Magnifico? it was not available at Powerbooks Makati.

Meron po sa powerbooks megamall at shangrila :)

Offline ciconneguy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 24, 2007 at 01:06 PM »
sir, meron nang Hong Kong Holiday retail price is 399pesos / powerbooks branches.  ;D

Sana i-release narin ang Kurdapya and Tawag ng Tanghalan

riverfan, nakabili na ko ng hong kong holiday. as expected, the dvd is a direct transfer from perhaps the only existing positive print of the film. kaya puro gasgas. surprisingly, the last 30 mins of the film is ok - crisp ang video, almost no scratches. maybe that part of the existing print is still ok. ibang-iba from the rest .

sayang. they should have checked the original negatives and reproduced a new positive print (pero im sure mahal ito.  that's what ccp did with tinimbang ka ngunit kulang, kaya ang linaw when i saw it sa sine a few years ago).

there wasnt even an opening credits for the film. the sampaguita logo was probably taken from other films. halata mo naman kasi dissolve to ang effect (the same thing goes to other parts - panay dissolve ang transition).

pero ok na ito kesa sa wala. at least i can watch it all over again.

sana i-release din ng unico ang dalagang ilocana sa dvd. the film gave gloria romero a best actress award from famas in the 50s (her only one, until tanging yaman). i wonder why they chose kurdapya over it. im sure sampaguita has an existing print of dalagang ilocana. i saw it a few years ago on tv.

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2007 at 11:08 AM »
I chanced upon unitel's website:

Here is something of interest...

Several of Lino Brocka’s works are now among the properties of Unitel Pictures: the classic Tinimbang ka Ngunit Kulang; Tatlo, Dalawa, Isa; Cain at Abel; Angela Markado; Hot Property, and Ang tatay Kong Nanay, heavy and light dramas that show Lino Brocka’s versatility and insight into the Filipino psyche.

read more

hope we see these titles really really soon.  :)

Offline ciconneguy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2007 at 09:15 PM »
I chanced upon unitel's website:

Here is something of interest...

Several of Lino Brocka’s works are now among the properties of Unitel Pictures: the classic Tinimbang ka Ngunit Kulang; Tatlo, Dalawa, Isa; Cain at Abel; Angela Markado; Hot Property, and Ang tatay Kong Nanay, heavy and light dramas that show Lino Brocka’s versatility and insight into the Filipino psyche.

read more

hope we see these titles really really soon.  :)

ive seen all of these films except hot property (si carmi martin yata ito). im excited. sana i-release lahat ito locally.

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 15, 2007 at 07:47 PM »
Inang Yaya released by Unitel...
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2007 at 07:48 PM by techdude »
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 15, 2007 at 10:06 PM »
is it available at powerbooks?  :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 15, 2007 at 10:51 PM »
is it available at powerbooks?

I saw a lot of copies at an Astro this aftrernoon.

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 16, 2007 at 12:51 AM »
I hope they can at least work on the audio, especially the hissing sound for the old films. The audio is easy to tweak compared to the video.

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 07:56 AM »
Inang Yaya released by Unitel...

saw copies of inang yaya at powerbooks. 450pesos.  ;D

has anybody seen hong kong holiday? I was about to buy but no copies available at powerbooks festival, alabang town center, greenbelt and glorietta.

Offline ciconneguy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 01:40 PM »
saw copies of inang yaya at powerbooks. 450pesos.  ;D

has anybody seen hong kong holiday? I was about to buy but no copies available at powerbooks festival, alabang town center, greenbelt and glorietta.

riverfan, nakabili na ko ng hong kong holiday. as expected, the dvd is a direct transfer from perhaps the only existing positive print of the film. kaya puro gasgas. surprisingly, the last 30 mins of the film is ok - crisp ang video, almost no scratches. maybe that part of the existing print is still ok. ibang-iba from the rest .

sayang. they should have checked the original negatives and reproduced a new positive print (pero im sure mahal ito.  that's what ccp did with tinimbang ka ngunit kulang, kaya ang linaw when i saw it sa sine a few years ago).

there wasnt even an opening credits for the film. the sampaguita logo was probably taken from other films. halata mo naman kasi dissolve to ang effect (the same thing goes to other parts - panay dissolve ang transition).

pero ok na ito kesa sa wala. at least i can watch it all over again.

sana i-release din ng unico ang dalagang ilocana sa dvd. the film gave gloria romero a best actress award from famas in the 50s (her only one, until tanging yaman). i wonder why they chose kurdapya over it. im sure sampaguita has an existing print of dalagang ilocana. i saw it a few years ago on tv.

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 10:44 AM »
ill have to check again sa festival. sana meron.

good for you, cicconeguy. your right, at least they decided to release it. its better than nothing.