Author Topic: harman/kardon avr  (Read 361051 times)

Offline tigerclaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Good day bro's!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:harman/kardon avr
« Reply #60 on: Aug 24, 2002 at 07:23 AM »
Bought my HK AVR4000 from Upscale Audio-Makati and the employees there have been helpful to me.

After a careful evaluation of its overall performance and value, I would say that I definitely made the right choice.  It really sounds outstanding in both music and movies.  For music, the HK reproduced Massenet's Navarraise (classical) and David Benoit's When She Believes to my full satisfaction.  As regards movies, it reproduced the Omaha landing scene of Saving Private Ryan with relative ease.  Thus, I would very much recommend this receiver (performance wise) to anyone.

Anent the issue of weaknesses, I found that the OSD has been set at PAL format and that the featured pre-programmed learning remote is not really learning anything from my other remote control.  I will discuss herein below the remedial measures one HK owner may undertake, to wit:

a.  OSD issue.  In my case, I went to Upscale Audio Makati (where I bought it) to fix my OSD settings.  People there are really accomodating especially Nanie and Merrill.  Nanie helped me in setting my receiver setup via OSD by plugging my receiver to their projector which is multi system.  Thereafter, I am assured that my settings are conformable to my preference.

b.  Remote problem.  Merrill of Upscale Audio helped me on this.  Just gave him recently my remote and he said that he will personally bring the remote control to the distributor to check the learning capability.  Further, Merrill said that the disrtributor usually replaces the remote if it is really found that the remote does not really learn anything, like in case.  I will post my comments later once I get a response from them.

Hope my comment will be helpful.

Offline arnoldc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Aug 31, 2002 at 11:05 PM »
i auditioned the AVR5000 + Infinity Kappa 200 combination at Architectural Audio earlier and it sounded really good. as far as home theater is concerned, based on what i heard, this combination is more to my liking than Denon 2802 + Energy Connoisseur C-3 combination on the specific Hotel California track on Hell Freezes Over.

also the HK 670 + Infinity Kappa 200 produced stereo music that is detailed, alive and airy. excellent tight bass.  it played Rammstein (Triple X soundtrack) as good as it did on the Kitaro.  
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2002 at 11:08 PM by arnoldc »

Offline tigerclaw

• Apprentice
  • Good day bro's!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Sep 01, 2002 at 08:22 AM »
Just want to reply on the remote problem of the HK AV Receiver.

Should you encounter any problem regarding the learning capability of the remote control, you can give it back to the dealer and they will have one of Beyond Innovation's staff to check it.  If determined, they will replace it no questions asked.  This happened in my case regarding the HK AVR-4000 I bought from Upscale Audio.  There is a Beyond Innovation (BI) sales staff assigned full-time assigned from the regulars.  Once I opened the issue, he (i.e., Merrill) courteously asked me to just leave the remote and he will personally deliver it to BI for checking.  True enough, after about a week, they replaced the remote and I am quite satisfied since it already controls my HT setup.  .

To all who are thinking to buy an HK receiver, I would very recommend one since it will very much satisfy your sonic taste.  However, if you actually buy one, automatically ask the staff to demo the learning capability of the remote.  If the remote does learn, by all means buy it.  You will not be disappointed.

When I buy my AVR-4000, I made a side by side comparison with the Denon (I forgot if it was the 2802) driving two small PSB satellites.  After the comparison, the overall value of the HK exceeds the Denon.  Note that the price is very much a factor.  As regards the sound reproduction, a 192/24 DA converter really matters.  It makes the difference.

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Sep 01, 2002 at 09:07 AM »
I can attest to the sonic qualities of the h/k, although I only own an avr2000, it sounds way better than amps in the similar price range (~17k) pair it with high sensitivity speakers and you will be rewarded  ;) Oh and I just love the way you can turn the volume up withoun noticing any distortion. :)

Offline tigerclaw

• Apprentice
  • Good day bro's!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Sep 01, 2002 at 03:13 PM »
So john5479, you're also one proud owner of an HK AV Receiver.  Good thing we made the right choice.

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Sep 01, 2002 at 04:16 PM »
Yup! can't wait to hear the newer models for h/k. 5.1 is enough for me for now because there are still enough 6.1 encoded dvd's to warrant an upgrade..maybe next year..I guess you know what's the first brand i'll audition   ;D

Offline cvthunder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Sep 02, 2002 at 04:28 PM »
i also love the kappa 200 even with the "less powerful" avr 2000 driving them.  i think it is a great match for the h/k recvrs & the 670.  i've auditioned more expensive combinations that doesn't sound as good (to my ears) as the h/k + kappa.  

however, i feel that the center speaker is a bit expensive though probably justified if it's used with the floorstanders.  i wish infinity builds a less expensive center channel speaker in the kappa line.

btw, i heard them at architectural audio too-- great shop manned by great people :)

Offline madrigal

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 12:15 PM »
Hello,
  I own an avr4000 too.   I just don't know but I am not fully satisfied with it.
My tv room is not that big but in watching dvd's, I can turn the volume up to full level at "0"
with speakers of 89 sensitivity.  
  Really, I think you h/k avr owners know that this reciever is not really that powerful unless you have a small room.
The only good thing i did with it is that I made it into a 7.1 (simulated) by hooking up an external  4 channel
adcom 60watt amp.   Now, mas pronounced ang surround effects in the room.    I will never go back to the usual 5.1 again.
   Anyway, I like how the h/k looks and I hate the japanese designs specially those gold casings.

Have you heard the NAD av recievers?  

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 01:28 PM »
I think most of the h/k owners here know well about the power rating of the receivers they bought  :) I just noticed that they (me included) liked the musical quality of h/k receivers plus the more powerful models are quite expensive..but you get what you paid for. Anyway I dont see a lot of receivers that can reach the end of its volume level without noticeable distortion. Yup NAD is great sounding..but the problem is the parts when it breaks down. Oh and whenI asked avdriver inshangrila the price they quoted me for a nad receiver was close to 50 thou :o

Offline cvthunder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 01:43 PM »
when i was looking for a receiver, i narrowed my search down to the h/k and nad.  unfortunately, i find the nad's a bit expensive in the phils and AVDI didn't have the T741, the particular model i was interested in-- the other models are way beyond my budget.  so i went for the avr 2000 (my room is small) despite the fact the i prefer the sound of the nad recvr that i've heard.

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 09:25 PM »
cvthunder: yup the nad receivers sound great! too bad they are scarce and expensive here in pinas.Still  the h/ks are not too shabby for the price i paid  ;D  

Offline madrigal

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Sep 05, 2002 at 07:27 AM »
Hello,
   Yup,  those NAD recievers sound real great.   It has body compared the H/K which I think lacks a bit of bass.
Sobrang mahal talaga sa AV driver.  Anyway, sa states close to $1,000 ang t751 or near  P50,000 na din.
    Siguro mura sa Hong Kong.     Kung may looting sa shangrila, sigurado na sa AV driver na ako with an NAD reciever or those proceeds

Offline d0ubletap

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Sep 05, 2002 at 06:21 PM »
mad:

i tried the nad t760 and rotel rsx-965 in singapore last weekend. previous models yata sila kaya they were selling it real low-both of them were selling it for less than 20k... grabe, weird yung sensation when i tried it out, bordering on hypnotic!

anyway, i could only afford the marantz kaya yun nabili ko... kala ko kasi di na ko kakabalik don... it turns out na pinapabalik ako don and this time for gud... now im selling my new marantz so i can get the nad when i go back!

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Sep 05, 2002 at 06:49 PM »
hmmnn maybe I'll go to singapore when I plan to upgrade my receiver hehehe ;D

Offline madrigal

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Sep 06, 2002 at 10:30 AM »
Really?
 the NAD's are in the 20's only?

As I read in the singapore magazine STUFF, popular nga ang NAD doon.  That is probably
the largest Asian market since madaming mayaman doon as compared to the Phils na 3rd world.

Tahimik na ako pag naka NAD AV receiver ako.
  Na-iinis na ako sa Harman 4000 ko.  Di ako kontento talaga.  maganda pa ang tunog ng luma kong Adcom amp.

In fairness, di din ako nagagandahan sa sound ng any denon, onkyo, ymaha, marantz or even the old nakamichi  

Like ko ang NAD, Proceed separates, McIntosh separates, Rotel av receiver.
It sounds the way it should sound.  You seldom adjust its settings kasi maganda na to start with.

Offline d0ubletap

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Sep 06, 2002 at 01:14 PM »
mad: actually more like 18-19k... the shop that i went to didn't have the newer models yet, indi ko na rin tiningnan sa ibang shops kasi mahal yata yung retail price nung newer models...

kaya i cant wait to go back... papatulan ko na yung nad t760 kahit walang dpl2

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Sep 06, 2002 at 01:51 PM »
doubletap: for me dpl2 is not much of a leap for me since I found the logic7 decoding found in my h/k receiver better. But you are right, once you get back to singapore buy the NAD right away, its a steal for that price and take good care of it...you don't want to spend sleepless nights waiting for it to get repaired once it conks out for some reason  ;D Now if only they would sell the h/k receivers for less  ::)

Offline d0ubletap

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Sep 06, 2002 at 02:59 PM »
doubletap: for me dpl2 is not much of a leap for me since I found the logic7 decoding found in my h/k receiver better. But you are right, once you get back to singapore buy the NAD right away, its a steal for that price and take good care of it...you don't want to spend sleepless nights waiting for it to get repaired once it conks out for some reason  ;D Now if only they would sell the h/k receivers for less  ::)

john5479: unfortunately parang walang ganon yung nad, meron EARS, pero pang music ata yun... try ko ulit both the nad and rotel, pero im leaning towards the nad...

alam mo kung ano weird? the new model h/k avr 2500 costs much more than the old model nad/rotel! parang ang taas ng price nung h/k, around P30k ata pag na-convert... o baka niloloko lang ako nung isa don, hehehe

Offline madrigal

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Sep 06, 2002 at 07:20 PM »
to doubletap:

Do you frequent Singapore?  They have the latest electronics there. Di ko lang alam kung mura talaga dyan oir sa Hong Kong.    

Pabili naman ng NAD AV receiver too,  kahit nakakahiya naman sa yo.  bayaran ko na lang yung abala sa pag-dala
kasi I know it is heavy.

Ty

Offline d0ubletap

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Sep 06, 2002 at 07:49 PM »
madrigal: actually first time ko sa singapore last weekend, a prospective employer asked me to fly in for an interview so i obliged (libre eh!)... i was in hk for a year nung 1999-2000, and i tell u, maganda bili ng stuff sa sing, kakatakot kasi sa hk, dami manloloko...

we'll see... pag mapauwi ako ng madalas eh try ko bili ng nad mo... pwede ba yung new model nila na low-end? 10kg lang kasi yun, yung iba (both new and old) puro mabibigat, hehehe... 18-19k yung nad t760 na nakita ko, benta ko sayo ng 29k gusto mo? hehehe, biro lang...

pm me ur email para i can keep u posted...

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Sep 06, 2002 at 08:55 PM »
doubletap: All i'm saying is if your just buying a receiver just for dpl2 its not much of a big improvement, go for the NAD, about the h/k 2500 being more expensive, please take note its new. you shouldn't be surprised if the older NAD and rotels cost less..ganon sa singapore once a newer one comes out, the older models are now priced lower, so take advantage of the price difference if you don't mind sticking to 5.1 for now. baka naman me makita kang h/k avr5000 or avr7000 na 20k plus din balitaan mo naman ako hehehe  ;D

Offline d0ubletap

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Sep 07, 2002 at 12:17 AM »
john: pm me ur email so i can keep u posted, i intend to spend a lot of time sa a/v stores sa simlim, hehehe... kakatuwa kasi don, more than 2 floors ata yun dedicated sa a/v, the rest o the floors eh computer stuff na...

mads: dont forget to pm ur email. let u know kung merong way para mapadala ko yung gusto mo. dati sabi ng fren ko ginagawa nila via balikbayan box-style na courier, cheaper than dhl/fedex kasi around SG100 (P3000) ata... di ko lang sure kung pwede sa eqpt yun, baka ma-damage... or if ur willing to spend xtra, dhl/fedex/ups might be the way to go... i remember u were the one who advised me about the h/k, marantz and other alternatives to onkyo/yamaha... dati kasi yamaha kunin ko... :-D

teka, baka mapamahal ka, magkano ba yung nad t760 dito?

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Sep 07, 2002 at 12:33 AM »
sent u a pm doubletap, keep me posted sa h/k avrs :) mahal yung NAD receivers dito 40k up  :-\

Offline madrigal

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Sep 07, 2002 at 04:25 PM »
to doubletap:
  Really, I advised a Harman Kardon?  Siguro, depends
 kung ano ang other choices mo.   Ako kasi, I experienced a  lot of japanese receivers such as
Yamahas, denon, also pioneer.  I liked the sound of the H/K but the NADs sound best.
  The NADs lang are out of my price range.  Locally, it is in the 50s here sa shangrila yata.
  Di ko na inambisyon bumili nito since it would be impractical.   Would rather buy Hi end speakers
that does not become obsolete easily.
  Ako kasi, I bought those Yamaha pro logic rxv670  years ago for about 28T .  ngayon, wala nang halaga.

Anyway, on hold mo muna yung pabili ko since it might cost a lot.   Just post here how much those nice
receivers are in Singapore so we will all have an idea

ty

Offline madrigal

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Sep 07, 2002 at 09:56 PM »
Hello doubletap:
    Sorryy, kulit ko.   I went to AV driver today (saturday) to check out the NAD t760.
It is the old model now replaced by the t761 and the t752 (7.1) or the t751 but av driver does not have it.
     They are selling it for P52,800 less 5% discount. !!!!!!!    siguro more than a year na naka display ito doon since
whenever I go to shang, I go there to make isyoso.  Hindi pa rin nabibili kasi ang taas ng markup nila.
      Naku, If you said that it is really 18-19 thousand lang then bibili na ako.     Kahit na magbayad ng konti sa
shipping, mura pa din.  Or kung may mabait dyan na dadalhin ito papauwi sa Pilipinas for a reasonable cost???
      Puede ba yon?     ;D          

Txt me at 0919-5941655   Thanks

Offline d0ubletap

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Sep 08, 2002 at 04:32 PM »
mad: mahal ah, considering na display unit sya...

yung newer models eh expensive pa yata, even in singapore. yung msrp yata (not sure) nung cheapest model (t741) is around $1,000 pa...

btw, already sent u a txt msg, usap na lang tayo sometime...

Offline zaldi

• Apprentice
  • What's up dude?
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jan 10, 2003 at 05:20 PM »
Pre, luma na ang AVR4000.  newest models i heard in the market are AVR1550 (PHP18,900.00), AVR2550 (PHP20,500.00) and AVR3550 (PHP24,990.00).  check these models around.

my brother is HK fanatic.  super idol niya ang HK that's why i got HK latest updates from him.  he said he saw these models at spectra in park square 1 and in the soundroom in podium.  you can also try to drop digital dreams in sm north edsa cyberzone if you're from the north.  

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jan 11, 2003 at 10:52 PM »
Pre, luma na ang AVR4000.  newest models i heard in the market are AVR1550 (PHP18,900.00), AVR2550 (PHP20,500.00) and AVR3550 (PHP24,990.00).  check these models around.

Plus 15% to 17% discount.

Offline jazzyjayt

• Apprentice
  • There is always a better way.
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jan 12, 2003 at 02:24 PM »
Got the AVR 2550 yesterday from Architectural Audio at New World.  Excellent customer service!  Spent nearly half an hour hearing it out, and didn't think twice about buying it.  Very competitively priced too -- if you tell them you're a PinoyDVD member!  The owners are very friendly, I even met member Meowpow there (hanging out and looking for more stuff to buy?   :D)

The 2550 is more than enough for my 40w speakers, even on negative volume setting.  Very good bang for buck, and it would probably last several upgrades!

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 02:04 PM »
Congrats on your purchase, jazzyjayt.

Care to share how much did you pay for it? You may PM me.

And please post your personal review regarding the oustanding H/K 2550.

Thanks.