Author Topic: Amazon.com - shopping, shipping, post office, customs Q&A  (Read 415824 times)

Offline Dowals

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Amazon.com and Royale Logistics Philippines Delivery
« Reply #510 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 01:35 PM »
waiting for 2 packages shipped November 24 & 27 addressed to Ortigas Center :)

hoping they deliver them directly  :-\
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline RadicalDude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #511 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 01:44 PM »
They will. Mine were always delivered to my office @ Ortigas Center. The latest I'd got was last Friday for Da Vinci Gift Set and Cinema Paradiso Collector's Ed. Package is above $50.
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #512 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 04:19 PM »
great!  ;D keeping my fingers crossed  :-\

Offline gekko_

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #513 on: Dec 01, 2006 at 11:40 PM »
Pls help

It'll be my first time to order from Amazon online. I don't know what to do.

I'm really eager to order DVDs. Pls... Thanks!

I want to ship it to my office at Ortigas or maybe at my house at Bulacan. which is better? Thanks!

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #514 on: Dec 01, 2006 at 11:45 PM »
Pls help

It'll be my first time to order from Amazon online. I don't know what to do.

I'm really eager to order DVDs. Pls... Thanks!

I want to ship it to my office at Ortigas or maybe at my house at Bulacan. which is better? Thanks!

Some can attest it's better to have it delivered sa Pasig area...thus in your office so that Royale Logistics will deliver it directly and you would not be taxed.

Offline gekko_

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Amazon.com - shopping, shipping, post office, customs Q&A
« Reply #515 on: Dec 01, 2006 at 11:56 PM »
Aw, I just placed an order na sa Amazon. Kinakabahan ako if it will turn out Ok.

I ordered Chicago Razzle Dazzle Edition.

Here's the info on my email:

Shipping Method:        Expedited International Shipping
Shipping Preference:    Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items:     $26.99
Shipping & Handling:     $11.98
     ------
Total for this Order:      $38.97

Shipping estimate for these items:  December 3, 2006
Delivery estimate:  December 22, 2006
   1    "Chicago - The Razzle-Dazzle Edition"
Taye Diggs; DVD; $26.99

Sold by: Amazon.com

Do you think ok yan? I'm nervous.  ???

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #516 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 12:02 AM »
Why should you be nervous?  It isn't illegal is it?

;D

Offline gekko_

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #517 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 12:05 AM »
nervous kc if my transaction will be successful. First time eh.
Actually, nung nakita ko ung delivery estimate, na-turn-off ako kc ang tagal pa pala :(

Uhm... pinadeliver ko sya sa house here in bulacan... kc di ko pa alam how to address it sa Pasig.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2006 at 12:19 AM by gekko_ »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #518 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 12:18 AM »
Although the transactions usually take much shorter than the estimated delivery (on average, I'd say 2-3 weeks, despite the estimated date they tell you), you picked a bad time to order - it's Christmas season, so it may take longer than average.

As long as your credit card is good, there shouldn't be any problems for you. To put your mind at ease, I've ordered probably over 100x already. I haven't encountered any problems yet (at least none that weren't immediately remedied by sending a simple email to Amazon).
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline gekko_

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #519 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 12:30 AM »
I'm trying to find dealers here in Philippines of Region 1 DVDs eh to avoid such transactions. I know Amazon is trustworthy but maybe I'll just have to experience it myself.

How can I address it at Pasig Area? What is PO all about? Do I need it?

When will my credit card be charged?

Gusto ko sana order pa ng isa but based sa mga posts that i've read, Usd50 above, may tax na  :'(

Offline gadgetguru

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #520 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 01:32 AM »
I believe you should have opted for Standard Shipping...  Expedited shipping doesn't shorten your waiting time, if you are outside the US, that's based on what others had posted... and even increases the likelihood that it might be taxed (again based on what I remembered was posted in this thread).

The shortest time is like 6 days.  But average is 2 weeks for Standard shipping.  But as posted, this is Christmas time, so the wait might be longer...

The Over $50 rule is suwertehan... lately, quite a few had bought over that amount and get away without paying any duties... 

Siguro the likelihood that you would be taxed is lesser if you ship to areas handled directly by Royal Logistics (Makati CBD, Ortigas Areas).  With other areas, Royal Logistics pay Philpost (local Post Office (PO) to deliver them, so that's another government agency you had to deal with, not to mention that the likelihood of dislodged disc is increased...

Some in the Marketplace charge reasonable prices... It may look higher than Amazon's prices, but you have to consider Shipping costs, etc.  And of course, a hundred or two profit for their effort.   But since you got your own credit card, you might want to use that na, and save a little, if you don't mind the hassle (like if packages get lost, etc)...

Do post your experience so others may also be guided...

I already four times already.  All 3 DVD and/or CD combinations.  Two had already been delivered direct by our local postman (I'm in Manila).  Royal Logistics paid postage of around 60 pesos to had them delivered.  Both arrived in around 10-12 days.   The other two are recent orders, expecting them in another week or two...  Hopefully, it would be just as seamless...   All are in the $30-$40 range including shippping...

Credit Card will probably be charged as soon as Amazon ship them, and be in your next statement cycle.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2006 at 01:38 AM by gadgetguru »

Offline gekko_

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #521 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 10:19 AM »
if my dvd will be taxed, how will I be charged? How much?

Online Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2378
« Reply #522 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 10:33 AM »
I think you should not worry about your order, ya just choose standard international shipping. At first im also scared ordering online because also my first time, but my main reason being scared is more on somebody hacking into my credit card and will be able to use it. But so far it seems safe. Also if there is any such problem like: not receiving your package, transactions charged that are not yours etc. You can always talk to amazon and your credit card company. You will always have protection. I dont think you have anything to worry about. ;)

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #523 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 04:22 PM »
gekko_,

I don't see any difference with the expedited and the standard international shipping options of Amazon. I tried the expedited before, and it was addressed to my Makati office before. Just like standard, it took 2-3 weeks to be delivered.

And, yes, if you are worried with tax, since you addressed your shipping to your Bulacan address, hopefully you won't get one since your order is below $50.

I suggest the next time you place an order, have it addressed in your office, as you mentioned, it's located in Ortigas Center (and make sure it really is a building within Ortigas Center). My office is located in Emerald Avenue. Royale Logistics has a dedicated messenger delivering in these areas. My recent order totalling $88.85 was personally delivered by their messenger (and so with my other 10 orders since June of this year). Thus I avoided that dreaded customs duties imposed by some local post offices that I used to experience before.

Hope this helps also.  ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #524 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 05:18 PM »
Just to reiterate what everyone has said, if the item hasn't shipped, change your shipping option to Standard Shipping. It's as good as throwing $5-7 away if you choose Expedited, since it's never made any difference in shipping time for me.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline gekko_

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #525 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 07:53 PM »
how will taxes be charged? automatically thru my credit card?

so, lugi ako sa transaction ko?  :'(

Offline gadgetguru

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #526 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 08:10 PM »
I suggest you read through the entire thread, and see the experience of others. 

Taxes are not automatically paid via credit card...  It will depends on the local customs officer on how much tax to levy.   Sometimes, zero, sometimes, over 1,000.  Again, it is better to just read the entire thread, it's not that long anyway, and can be read through in less than an hour...

Lugi?  I don't think so.  You might even save yourself a few hundred if your package is not taxed... 

And then the first experience of using a credit card online......PRICELESS. ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2006 at 08:12 PM by gadgetguru »

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #527 on: Dec 04, 2006 at 09:16 AM »
Received an e-mail from Amazon.com today, notifying that my order(s) of (1) High School Musical (2-disc edition); and (2) Good Night, and Good Luck, has been shipped... ;D

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #528 on: Dec 04, 2006 at 01:24 PM »
As a rule, all shipments made by royal logistics to local addresses should not be taxed.. regardless of declared value. All of these shipments are considered local mails.

8)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #529 on: Dec 04, 2006 at 03:02 PM »
Bumabagal lang Amazon during the Holiday season and they cannot be blamed for that.

Like what others say, expedited shipping is just a waste of money.  In fact, the last time I used expedited shipping, it took 3 days longer than average standard shipping period.  Standard shipping to Tokyo takes 4-7 days.  Kung Xmas season, it can be as long as 14 days...which is not so bad unless atat na atat ka na.

Amazon has got to have one of the best customer service.  I reported a defective disk online and got a reply within 20 minutes. They immediately replaced the disk (eventually for free - charged my credit card for replacement order, then refunded my credit card for the total cost) within 24 hours.  I was told not to return the defective disk anymore because I live in Tokyo.

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #530 on: Dec 04, 2006 at 04:23 PM »
waiting for 2 packages shipped November 24 & 27 addressed to Ortigas Center :)

hoping they deliver them directly  :-\

shoot! wrong timing pala order ko  :-\

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #531 on: Dec 05, 2006 at 07:56 AM »
Recently, I advised Amazon thru their Returns Center that I have one disc that has minor scratches in it. Of course I chose the replacement option. Originally, I placed that order using standard expedited. When they placed a new order for the replacement, I noticed that they defaulted it to the expedited shipping option, that is obviously much higher. It was also indicated that they are going to refund the original cost that was charged to my card and will be charged again for the new one.

Obviously, my question is, is it really supposed to be the shipping option that they should make for the replacement? I mean, they'll be refunding the original one which is lower. Although, from what others had said from this thread, they'll not require you to return the previous order (so I'll be having an extra copy for that matter), but... you know, it's not the point...

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #532 on: Dec 05, 2006 at 05:35 PM »
Recently, I advised Amazon thru their Returns Center that I have one disc that has minor scratches in it. Of course I chose the replacement option. Originally, I placed that order using standard expedited. When they placed a new order for the replacement, I noticed that they defaulted it to the expedited shipping option, that is obviously much higher. It was also indicated that they are going to refund the original cost that was charged to my card and will be charged again for the new one.

Obviously, my question is, is it really supposed to be the shipping option that they should make for the replacement? I mean, they'll be refunding the original one which is lower. Although, from what others had said from this thread, they'll not require you to return the previous order (so I'll be having an extra copy for that matter), but... you know, it's not the point...

Check your total refund from the previous order.  If all is well, the refund will be exactly the same as the total cost of the replacement order.  Thus, your total cost should be zero.   If not, get in touch with Amazon right away to complain.  Amazon opts to "speed up" the replacement process to please their customer better at no extra cost.   I had the same misunderstanding with Amazon which I clarified through a barage of emails that were promptly replied. 

Unfortunately, costly expedited shipping man or standard international shipping eh alang pinagkaiba talaga.

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #533 on: Dec 06, 2006 at 07:46 AM »
Thanks!  :D

Offline gekko_

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #534 on: Dec 07, 2006 at 12:20 AM »
my order will arrive after Dec 25 pa raw  :'(

Offline gadgetguru

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #535 on: Dec 07, 2006 at 12:31 AM »
Amazon is very conservative with their delivery estimate.  And you can't blame them, since once out of the States, it's out of their hands, Courier delays, Post Office delays, etc.   But very seldom does it takes that long to arrive.

As stated previously, the average time is 10-20 days from order.  If what you ordered had already been shipped, my guess is that you will get it before the Simbang Gabi starts...

I do understand first (online) order syndrome...  the wait seems very long.  Like waiting for your first baby.  But it gets smoother the next time around. ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2006 at 12:32 AM by gadgetguru »

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #536 on: Dec 08, 2006 at 12:13 AM »
Available na "Half Nelson" for pre-order at Amazon.com...

-- http://www.amazon.com/Half-Nelson-Ryan-Gosling/dp/B000KX0IOK/

Problem:
Since, this is released by Sony in the U.S., there's the usual note...
"PLEASE NOTE: Some Region 1 DVDs may contain Regional Coding Enhancement (RCE). Some, but not all, of our international customers have had problems playing these enhanced discs on what are called "region-free" DVD players. For more information on RCE, click here."

Q1: Does this mean as long as my player can play the R1 DVD's...then, I don't have to worry about that so-called RCE?

Q2: What do you think guys, should I wait for the DVD of this title to be released locally? (Hopefully, Magnavision?)
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2006 at 12:14 AM by phildo »

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #537 on: Dec 08, 2006 at 01:29 AM »
I think the RCE problem is circa 2004 pa yata... and most recent region-free players should play those discs...  At least my cheap Samsung still haven't encountered any problems playing R1 discs...

Tagal pa naman 'yan, preorder mo na lang...  then hope that the price drops further before release...if so, then baka kasing price lang ng new Magnavision release.  If not, or if Magnavision gives any hint that an R3 version is forthcoming, you can always cancel until maybe a week before the official release naman...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #538 on: Dec 08, 2006 at 04:42 AM »
From experience.  All my orders of November and Deccember either make it before the New Year or First week of January.  It's an advantage naman since hindi ka magpapakita ng Christmas season sa Post office.  Iwas hingi narin sa mga post office/customs personel. :)

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #539 on: Dec 08, 2006 at 08:58 AM »
I think the RCE problem is circa 2004 pa yata... and most recent region-free players should play those discs...  At least my cheap Samsung still haven't encountered any problems playing R1 discs...

Yeah, most region-free players can play R1. I'm not sure though if the player's brand is Sony. Usually when I'm trying to look for a new player, I always bring my Spiderman R1 copy just to check if the player will be able to play a RCE disc. There's this one brand of Sony DVD player that was not able to play it some months back, just forgot the model.