Author Topic: Newbie and Not-so Noob Thread: Questions (FAQ) on Setting up  (Read 110653 times)

Offline caohyde

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • how now brown cao...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Audio Setup Newbie
« Reply #30 on: Sep 06, 2002 at 06:11 PM »
@cao: Ya dude that's what Rene said.  The 15k will give me musicality that my solid state can't but feeling ko I might be limited by an integrated amp.  God you were right when you said this was a bottomless pit. ;D Even after break-in, should loudness be on or does it matter if its on or off?  How bout the gain knobs after break-in?  Thanks a mil dude.

actually, tone controls and loudness would really depend on listening taste... you normally turn the loudness function on when you're listening a low volumes, you know, when you can't hear the bass that much or the highs don't sound too loud. but when you're cranking up the volume, i suggest turning those things off (parang sa car-audio lang)  :). in other words, it wouldn't matter. ;D

don't get me wrong, you can start with an integrated amp, ok naman yun dude... get the scott, ok sound nun... ;D the trio is good also... actually, IMO, they're the better sound kenwoods. :) then after the integrated amp bit, you can get a separate power amp, i think both have pre-outs, then pag sawa kana, you can sell the integrated amp, then buy a tube pre-amp. ;D ang gastos talaga... ;D or if you want, save up for the tube pre and power amps. ;D kasi, you also have to take into consideration the peripherals like interconnects and racks and other stuff. ;D

Offline listener

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Sep 06, 2002 at 09:53 PM »
Even after break-in, should loudness be on or does it matter if its on or off?  How bout the gain knobs after break-in?  

Activation of the loudness function and the use of the tone controls (Bass and Treble) are all a matter of personal preference but before you tweak those knobs to add bass or treble I suggest you do the following first:

1. Bypass loudness and tone controls
2. play a reference track on the system
3. If bass is thin, move the speakers closer to the back
    wall.
4. If imaging and soundstaging are blurry and not focused, try to toe-in the speakers  toward your "sweet spot".  This can also improve the top end to a certain degree.
5. If the top end is kinda excessive and bright, you can tame the room by adding an area rug, heavy curtains etc.
6. If all else fails then now is the time to adjust the tone controls.

Good luck ;D

Offline young_hov

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Sep 07, 2002 at 12:58 AM »
Thanks for the help guys!   :)

Offline Titanium

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Sep 07, 2002 at 08:16 AM »

Sent u a PM.

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Sep 08, 2002 at 12:28 AM »
Thanks for the help guys!   :)

Hey, hey, congrats Young_Hov! And welcome to the club!

Before you wonder into a probable chaotic road to in search of sonic nirvana, I thought of suggesting to you a proper path because I don't want you to commit costly mistakes that we have had.

Take note of these five very very important components of your audio chain:
I.   Music source (generally CD player)
II.  Interconnects (to interface your CD player to the Amp)
III. Amplification (whether integrated or separates, it's   up to your pocket)
IV.  Speaker Cables
V.   Speakers

You started off with the speaker upgrade (from the Pioneer HPM-60 to now, the Mission M72). That's a very good move. Speakers do give the most dramatic sonic improvement relative to your previous setup.

Not to sound being a "bad influence" (to never-ending gastus), but later once you'd have saved some lollies and wanted to invest, I would suggest start from Item No. I, which is the source. Why? It's in the source that everything begins, it's where the music gets played! So if your source puts out garbage, do you think the rest of your chain makes the garbage a very clean output? Haha. My friend, no matter how good the rest of your audio chains are (your amp or cables, etc.) garbage in, is still garbage out; "ta@ in", will never be "ice cream" out, it will always be "ta@ out" pa rin. Pardon the toilet humor. I just want to nail down my point.

Also, components need to carefully matched. A Five Star audio equipment will perform well when used with a matched components, and will perform very badly when partnered with some unmatcheable gears. You don't believe me? Take a $$$ speaker cables, let's say the "Tara Labs The One (US$5,200 for a 10-ft. pair), hook them up to the Pioneer HPM-60 and let's see if it beats the sound of your Mission M72 with an Ixos cables. No way tatalunin na niya ang M72 mo! In audio, it doesn't necessarily mean that an expensive component will always outperform a cheaper one. No sir. At least that's good news, right?

So, you have been adviced. Follow numbers I to IV (or V is you want to change your speakers). And you will be less miserable than most of us here, me included!  ;D

Last but not the least, never forget that audiophiles are supposed to be music lovers. So invest in music more, instead of items I to V. Buy more CDs (of LPs if you want) instead of getting getting busy finding faults of your audio gears. When in doubt, just fire a "Help me message" here in Pinoy DVD. Everyone is always ready to help.

May the audio force be with you.

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2002 at 12:44 AM by levi »

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Sep 08, 2002 at 04:25 AM »
"Not to sound being a "bad influence" (to never-ending gastus), but later once you'd have saved some lollies and wanted to invest, I would suggest start from Item No. I, which is the source. Why? It's in the source that everything begins, it's where the music gets played! So if your source puts out garbage, do you think the rest of your chain makes the garbage a very clean output? Haha. My friend, no matter how good the rest of your audio chains are (your amp or cables, etc.) garbage in, is still garbage out; "ta@ in", will never be "ice cream" out, it will always be "ta@ out" pa rin. Pardon the toilet humor. I just want to nail down my point.
"

I'd acctually start off with speakers. Dahil you might have a good cd player, ano naman ang gagawin ng speakers mo dun sa signal, if it can't interpret those frequency signals?? Plus quality speakers are long term buys.

Ako, i resently bought a pair of energy xl 150 bookself and a s8.2 subwoofer para dun sa mini system ko dahil i like the convenience it brings but hate the sound that are coming off it...

And right then and there an laki na ng difference ng nakuha ko from sound output. better voice clarity. no more sound distortions... picked up more effects..

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Sep 09, 2002 at 09:02 AM »
I'd acctually start off with speakers. Dahil you might have a good cd player, ano naman ang gagawin ng speakers mo dun sa signal, if it can't interpret those frequency signals?? Plus quality speakers are long term buys.

Ako, i resently bought a pair of energy xl 150 bookself and a s8.2 subwoofer para dun sa mini system ko dahil i like the convenience it brings but hate the sound that are coming off it...

And right then and there an laki na ng difference ng nakuha ko from sound output. better voice clarity. no more sound distortions... picked up more effects..

Hi there. Yes, you're right but I was actually referring to the next move that Young_hov here might take. He's done with the speakers. So what's next? Are you suggesting him to get an Energy XL150 speakers too? (just kidding). Other people keeps on upgrading speakers but easily forget the rest of the audio chain. That was my point. Sorry if  t'was not so clear.

I guess another way to take is choose from the items "I to V" that I've listed, check your "audio funds" bank account and see which of these fits the budget for your next indulgence.

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Sep 09, 2002 at 09:19 AM »
I actually listed items "I to V" but I guess in reality one can always choose which of them must you upgrade in any given time, whether you want to upgrade your cd player, or cables, or interconnects, etc.  I listed items I to V as a checklist so that you wouldn't make the mistake of upgrading only one part of your audio chain, and most often is your speakers. Me for instance, I've owned. Me for instance, I have owned seven (7) different speakers and four (4) different subwoofers already in the span of four years. It was on my 4th or 5th speakers that I've learned that I must upgrade the other part of my audio chain to get better results. Common talaga makalimutan ang ibang components.

That's the reason why I gave Young_hov a suggestion. But if you've only read my note above, I said "speakers do offer the most dramatic improvements...". Pareho pala tayo ng paniniwala no? hehe.

Offline young_hov

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 09, 2002 at 09:36 AM »
@tyro: Thanks man.  Extremely helpful advice.  I would think that it is really true that many forget other important  fixtures of the chain.  As for me, I think I'm going to go with number 3 in the chain....when I've saved up.  :)  I'm looking to start a vinyl collection.  Analog just feels so right.  :D

rtsy

« Reply #39 on: Sep 11, 2002 at 10:27 AM »
amp, ok naman yun dude... get the scott, ok sound nun... ;D the trio is good also... actually, IMO, they're the better sound kenwoods. :)

Which Scott did you hear?  Where?  I'm having a friend's Scott restored by Hyperaudio.  I'm excited to hear what that can do on my system, assuming I'm able to grab 'em from my friend's tight grasp.

rtsy

« Reply #40 on: Sep 11, 2002 at 10:41 AM »
the difference between going integrated and separates is that with the integrated amp, you are limited to its features, you can add a power amp or other accessories (ie DAC, equalizer, etc.) to it if it has pre-outs.

Hmmm...

You add a DAC between the digital source and the amps, no problem doing that on an integrated.  No need for separates to add a DAC.  

Ditto for equalizer, you can feed the source into the equalizer then the equalizer outputs into an integrated.  If you have a multiple source system, all you need is a tape loop on an integrated amp.  Connect all sources to the integrated then use the tape out to feed the equalizer.  Then listen to the system choosing the tape input.

With the quality of digital playback or a well-chosen and lovingly maintained/restored analog source and the wealth of room acoustics and speaker placement methods that are easily available onlinenowadays, I have absolutely no idea why you'd want an equalizer.  Maybe perhaps if it's the $$$ TACT.   :P

I think the benefits of going separates are:

1--You can play around with different interconnects between your pre and power amps.  You can do so between source and integrated but this means changing every I/C for every source when you find your chosen I/C.  Tough luck if you end up liking the Audio Note silver I/Cs @ US$350/m!

2--You can upgrade just the pre-amp or just the power amp.  Say you want to move from active to passive pre sections (opens up detail but generally takes weight out of some music) or you want to try out a hybrid system of tube pre and S/S amp.

If you have  source, say a CD player, that has a volume control, you can by-pass the pre-amp altogether and go straight ot the power amp from the source!

3--Typically, it's easier to do bi or even tri-amping with separates.  With integrateds, you'll have to make sure the gain off your integrated is the same as your chosen power amp.

Aside from costs, the downsides of separates are the traditional downsides of a more flexible set-up.  With more things to play around with, you have more things to get wrong.   :P

Generally, an integrated sound better that a separate system at the same price range.

Hope this helps, and maybe confuses.   :P

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pinoydiophiles :P

Offline DTS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #41 on: Sep 11, 2002 at 11:07 AM »

Which Scott did you hear?  Where?  I'm having a friend's Scott restored by Hyperaudio.  I'm excited to hear what that can do on my system, assuming I'm able to grab 'em from my friend's tight grasp.

Hi rtsy,

When Hyperaudio is done with your friend's Scott, could you kindly PM me how much it cost to restore it?

Thanks!

Offline young_hov

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Sep 11, 2002 at 01:27 PM »
Wow rtsy.  My head is spinning after the advice. :)  From yours and caohyde's advice, an integrated doesn't sound so bad after all.  Couple of questions though (forgive the ignorance).  My goal of sonic nirvana,  ;D, hinges both on hardware and music.  I'm looking to collect lotsa vinyl and not really cd's.  So I guess what I want to ask is this

1) Will a basic integrated tube amp + m72's + turntable offer dramatic sound improvement over my current solid state + m72's + turntable?  
2) If a resounding yes to question 1, what models would you recommend and how much would these cost?
3) Would changing the cartridge (currently shure m92e i think) offer audible gains even with the solid state?

Thanks alot!  

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Sep 11, 2002 at 01:37 PM »
Hello young_hov,

I'll jump to #3...

Yes, changing to a better cartridge will definitely give audible gains whether your system is solid state or tubes.  Remember, the cartridge is the first audio equipment to get a taste of your source - the LP.  The cartridge, along with the tonearm, as well as the turntable are very important since it is this first set of gear that would "read and carry" the very small signal from the LP to the phono stage.  

Cartridges are just like amps and speakers.  Prices of which vary from $50 to $10,500.  Its all up to your budget and listening tastes which one you will fancy.

rtsy

« Reply #44 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 02:02 PM »
1) Will a basic integrated tube amp + m72's + turntable offer dramatic sound improvement over my current solid state + m72's + turntable?  
2) If a resounding yes to question 1, what models would you recommend and how much would these cost?
3) Would changing the cartridge (currently shure m92e i think) offer audible gains even with the solid state?

I can't answer number 3 as I'm a vinyl virgin (never owned one) and unless I become really rich, a vinyl eunuch (vinyl doesn't suit my listening habit of hear 3-4 tracks in an album at random then change album--rather cumbersome to do on vinyl).  I am however a believer that generally for the same money spent on a TT vs. CD player, vinyl is superior, e.g., the ~PhP20-25k Pink Triangle or Rega Planar 3 I heard at Hyperaudio's is better than all CD players I've heard (e.g., Arcam CD72, lots of Rotels, NAD, etc.).

Read lots of reviews and visit forums like www.audioasylum.com or http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pinoydiophiles for reviews/comments on the Mission m-series and see which amps mate well with it.  To my mind, I really don't care if it's a tube amp of S/S so long as it sounds good in the system.  

Remember that there are bad tube amps just as there are bad S/S ones.

This said, a good entry level integrated is the OEM version of the nOrh SE9 (it's called TS Audio).  A neat little 9wpc SET gem.  <PhP20k.

The Dynaco Stereo 70 is reputed to be a good one.  ~PhP20k.  It's a power amp though so you'd need a passive volume control could <PhP5k from Hyperaudio, depending perhaps on the volume pot you'd get.

On another thread, there was talk of vintage amps like the Scott 299 (I'm having a friend's restored as I type this).  ~US$150 on E-Bay.

For S/S integrateds, be sure to hear the Rotel RA-931mkII @ ~PhP13k though this has been discontinued I think.  Try looking for used NADs 3020/3040 or the newer 302/304 (used to own one), or the current incarnation C340.

Offline Blade

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 02:51 PM »
For S/S integrateds, be sure to hear the Rotel RA-931mkII @ ~PhP13k though this has been discontinued I think.  Try looking for used NADs 3020/3040 or the newer 302/304 (used to own one), or the current incarnation C340.

since its hard to find the Rotel RA-931mkII, which amp would match better with my Mission floorstanders? the Rotel RA-971mkII OR the Harman Kardon 670 (pero kung me NAD bakit hindi?)

thanks.......

Blade.

rtsy

« Reply #46 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 04:00 PM »
since its hard to find the Rotel RA-931mkII, which amp would match better with my Mission floorstanders? the Rotel RA-971mkII OR the Harman Kardon 670 (pero kung me NAD bakit hindi?)

The last Harman KArdon I heard is the HK610.  That's a nice one.  I don't know about the 670.  Hyperadio has the RA932 and the 02.  That should be good.

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #47 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 09:19 PM »
This said, a good entry level integrated is the OEM version of the nOrh SE9 (it's called TS Audio).  A neat little 9wpc SET gem.  <PhP20k.

RTSY,

How does 9wpc translate to ratings for S/S amps? Will this be able to drive, say the pre-Home Concertinos?   ;) ;D

GAOL

P.S. Isn't it obvious that I'm a tube virgin?
 ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2002 at 09:23 PM by gaol »

rtsy

« Reply #48 on: Sep 14, 2002 at 06:36 PM »
How does 9wpc translate to ratings for S/S amps? Will this be able to drive, say the pre-Home Concertinos?   ;) ;D

P.S. Isn't it obvious that I'm a tube virgin?

First, I am a tube virgin myself, at least for speakers.  I have the Musical Fidelity X-Cans v2 for my headphone system.  Those have a pair of 6DJ8 ECC88s inside.

I'm dying to try that TS Audio 9xpc SET amp on my 'Tinos.  Hyperion, our own SF expert, thinks kaya.

I can't say exactly how 9wpc SET compares in S/S watts but the is an article on Stereophile Archives that talks about this.  Do a search there for "Tubes Do Something Special."

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pinoydiophiles

Offline perds

• Apprentice
  • no pic
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Sep 17, 2002 at 07:37 PM »
Hi everybody, I just need some answer of which the people in this forum are truly knowledgeable. Here it goes. I have an Onkyo Integra (A-809) integrated amplifier ,a Bose 901 series V speakers and a Pioneer dvd player. I want to upgrade it to a 5.1 system. How can I make use of what I have now in order for me to save some money?

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Sep 20, 2002 at 01:56 PM »
Hi everybody, I just need some answer of which the people in this forum are truly knowledgeable. Here it goes. I have an Onkyo Integra (A-809) integrated amplifier ,a Bose 901 series V speakers and a Pioneer dvd player. I want to upgrade it to a 5.1 system. How can I make use of what I have now in order for me to save some money?

Hi Perds! You can choose on either of the following:

1. Sell (or trade-in) your Onkyo integrated (even the Bose if you want); or

2. Keep all you have, buy a center channel, rear speakers, and a subwoofer, and also get a 5.1 receiver  that can be used to drive rears, center and sub. Then use your existing Onkyo Integra to drive your front speakers (Bose). In this sense, you are bi-amping (both amps are connected to your DVD player). The Onkyo integra is connected at the analog (RCA) left & right output of the DVD player; then the 5.1 receiver is hooked up also to the DVD player via a coax digital Cable (Hyperaudio tel. 832-5710) sells a ver good coax cable, the Ixos 102). That's biamping.

The trouble with option #2 is that not all 5.1 receiver will allow you to bi-amp, meaning some 5.1 receiver will not work in 5.1 mode if you will NOT connect all 5 speakers into it. Hindi tutunog yong center and rears mo if you will not also connect the fronts! Like what I've experienced when I helped a friend set up his HT, using Onkyo 494 receiver. At that time we were setting it up, he has not bought rear speakers yet, so we only had the fronts and center. No matter how I adjusted the receiver, no sound comes out of the center channel! Only the front speakers worked. This did not happen to my prologic receiver at home, where I bi-amp using a Rotel 931Mk.2 integrated to drive my Sonus Faber Concertino. Weird! So finally, when I came back the following day, bringing with me surround speakers, the whole darn thing worked already! So I just need to attach all speakers to the receiver so the system would work okay.

My advice to you is, when you audition a 5.1 receiver, ask the dealer to disconnect the front speakers and see if it makes the remaining speakers (center and rears) work. If okay, then you can buy that receiver, and do bi-amping at home. If not, then look for another brand/model of receiver. If you cannot find such a receiver, then you will have to let go of your Integra amp as part of the system, and just get a receiver to drive all of your speakers. I suggest either the Onkyo SR500 or SR600.

Good luck.

Offline perds

• Apprentice
  • no pic
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Sep 23, 2002 at 08:31 AM »
audio_tyro,

thanx for the reply. I will try what you've said. Bili muna siguro ako ng receiver.

Offline caohyde

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • how now brown cao...
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Sep 26, 2002 at 08:19 AM »
dude,

how's your set-up coming along? Balita ko you have the nice toys already... ;D

ciao!

caohyde

Offline dondon

• Collector
  • What i can't find has not been recorded.
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Sep 26, 2002 at 04:46 PM »
rtsy, saw your scott at hyper's,  :)

brought my scott kanina, sana naman magawa.

lupit ng mga gear ni hyper.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Apr 05, 2003 at 12:19 AM »
bump

Offline BuLLeT

• Collector
  • No One Gets Left Behind, Rangers Lead the Way
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 12:54 PM »
May I  please seek the opinion of Audio enthusiasts regarding a decent used SS integrated amplifier fro stereo listening.

I mean, my probable source will be the used amps in Pier. Can you give advise on what particular brand/model is good enough and worth seeking.

I plan to plunge into two channel music through SS  amps before really trying the world of tubes.

Thanks.

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 01:45 PM »
May I  please seek the opinion of Audio enthusiasts regarding a decent used SS integrated amplifier fro stereo listening.

I mean, my probable source will be the used amps in Pier. Can you give advise on what particular brand/model is good enough and worth seeking.

Haven't been to pier but have visited a number of jap surplus shops in our area.  Most integrateds/recevrs available don't have remotes, so you bettter be prepared to get-up  from ur listenning chair to change settings.

They carrry many brands mostly Pioneers, Technics, Onkyos, Kenwoods and some Japan domestics brands like Victors (JVC to pinoys) and Mitsubishis not marketed  locally.  

It's hard enough to recommend blindly as there are good and bad models  in every brand.  But with those surplus stuff, you can't tell if parts have been replaced by inferior ones.  Expecially power transistors, its very easy to replace them with "equivalent" transistors that may sound nothing like the origs.  But for their selling prices of 5k to 8k, can you take the risk?

Why don't you window shop and give us a list of the models you've cme across and are considering.  Then the members can give their 2 cents.  

I plan to plunge into two channel music through SS  amps before really trying the world of tubes.

Thanks.

I fail to grasp the logic here.  are you saying you haven't had the experience of listening to plain old stereo, and plan to make an ss as a jumping ground for a more serious set-up in the future?  Do you have any set-up at the moment or really starting from scratch?  

Offline BuLLeT

• Collector
  • No One Gets Left Behind, Rangers Lead the Way
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 03:05 PM »
av-phile,

Thanks for taking time responding to my query.

Here are some models someone spotted form pier together with the quoted price. I am borrowing the list  from someone from another forum (due credits to him).

denon pma940 - 4000 (200w)
denon pma930 - 3000 (150w)
technics 88a - 3500 (180w)
onkyo a812x6 - 2500 (118w)
onkyo integra a817gt - 2500 (130w)
onkyo integra a815gtr - 2200 (100w)
yamaha ax640 - 3500 (180)
victor jas9 - 2600 (135w)
victor ja277 - 2800 (180)
marantz pm4 - 3500(150w)
marantz pm80 - 4500 (220w)
pioneer sa6850 - 2500 (110w)

I just want to hear some first hand experience with previous owners of the above brands  even if it they are not specifically the same model.

Our family used to own an Onkyo SS amplifier paired with  301 bose speakers from way back circa 80's. They sounded good to me since I was not that exposed to the different  speakers & amps ( I'm a true blooded promdi). After the system was disposed ( for some reason), I had lost connection to the audio world untill recently.

My present set up is an HT consisting of a Marantz AVR and Mission speakers. I enjoy listening & watching concert DVDs on these.

At present I want to have a dedicated stereo set up and I want to try again the SS amp road first and see where it will take me from there.

thanks.

rtsy

« Reply #58 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 05:20 PM »
My present set up is an HT consisting of a Marantz AVR and Mission speakers. I enjoy listening & watching concert DVDs on these.

At present I want to have a dedicated stereo set up and I want to try again the SS amp road first and see where it will take me from there.

Your Marantz-Mission set up is already a mighty fine sounding set-up even for 2-channel music...assuming you can position your speakers correctly.

Going to an entry level S/S amp for your 2 channel means you're looking at the Rotels, NADs, etc.  It'll likely sound  better than your HT but I'm not so sure it'll be that significant an improvement.

I would suggest you expose yourself to as many stereo amps and speakers so you get a good feel for the sound that you are after.  Only after that do you decide whether you're going tubes (there are cheaper ones more or less in the price range of the Rotels and the NADs) or S/S, or which house sound of speakers you like (Sonus, B&W, Dyn, etc.)

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 05:56 PM »
Hi Bullet,

Those Marantz-Mission set-up you already have makes for a fine stereo mode listenning just by siwitching off or bypassing  the DSP or 5,1 modes.  Not to disparage stereo, but some reviewers who have listenned to multi-channel SACD and DVD-audio swear they would never go back to plain old stereo.  A stereo set-up is basic.  But if you want to take advantage of those sonic wonders promised by the new audio-only mediums like SACD and DVD-audio that are touted to sound closer to LPs in terms of musicality, you may want to consider upgrading your multi-channel set-up na lang. Afterall, if you want to go back to stereo, just bypass the multi-channl mode.  Even if you want to go the tube route, which I might also do one of these days (or months), I'll go multi channel as well, not  to benefit  HT,  but to max out the promises of the newer audio formats.

By the way is your desire for another stereo to be set-up in another room?  If so, I'm hard pressed to recommened any of those in your list as they all seem very atttractive for their prices, assuming their parts are in tact org.  As an onkyo user myself, I'd be biased towards that.  The integra name is very well respected.   The denon and marantz likewise enjoy high marks among audiophiles.  I'd go for the most powerful among the lot, all things equal.  Just my 2 cents.