Author Topic: Recommend a Speaker  (Read 363981 times)

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: Recommend a Speaker
« Reply #2520 on: Jul 13, 2017 at 02:08 PM »
Hard to recommend which speaker would suit you specially since you did not specify what amplifier (or the specific model) you will be using. Normally an amplifier should be matched to a certain speaker or speakers. From experience and sound practice, making sure that the amplifier has enough power to drive the speakers is number 1. Speaker wire size and proper placement of speaker is another.

However, I don't think you can go wrong with both speakers. I'd do with either one then get at least a 100W per channel amplifier. If you just can't seem to get the sound you like, you can play around with different configurations of the speaker wires. You can get ideas from this forum on DIY speaker wires so you can narrow this gap. If that doesn't work, try using different audio sources - cellphone, CDP, DVD, turntable etc.

Sir's,

I'm looking for advice/opinions on Wharfedale Diamond 230 & Mission MX3, which of the two is better, how do these speakers sound?
Mainly for listening to music, I prefer warm with good detail, but won't cause ear fatigue if listening for long hours. Also it should produce enough strong bass cause I don't plan on having a subwoofer.
I prefer a stereo receiver cause of the built-in fm tuner but a integrated stereo amplifier will also be fine,  budget 25k, can anyone please suggest which will match the speakers above.

Thanks.

Offline Yakult

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • ----------
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2521 on: Jul 14, 2017 at 11:34 AM »
Hi sirs,

I'm coming from a really old but reliable set of Altec Lansing ACS45.1 speakers that have served me from my days with it as my PC speakers to when I migrated it to serve as my speakers for my LED TV. A good 20 years na rin so when it conked out (2nd time na), I decided to replace it instead of having it serviced.

I replaced it with an Edifier X100 and frankly, sobra akong disappointed sa bass and overall sound quality.

I'd like to ask for your help in finding a suitable replacement that would be closest to the Altec Lansing I had. As you can see, I'm no audiophile, I'm happy with the Altec Lansing na, but the Edifier is just crap compared to it naman.

I searched the net and here are the specs of the Altec Lansing:
System Components - 2 speakers, subwoofer
Amplification Type - active
Audio System Nominal Output Power (Total) - 32 Watt
Frequency Response - 35 - 20000 Hz
Nominal Impedance - 10 Ohm
Audio Amplifier - integrated

If you can recommend what brand (and what the price range would be) and where to buy sana locally, thanks in advance.

**photos aren't mine, just from the net for reference.

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2522 on: Jul 15, 2017 at 10:58 PM »
Sir's,

I'm looking for advice/opinions on Wharfedale Diamond 230 & Mission MX3, which of the two is better, how do these speakers sound?
Mainly for listening to music, I prefer warm with good detail, but won't cause ear fatigue if listening for long hours. Also it should produce enough strong bass cause I don't plan on having a subwoofer.
I prefer a stereo receiver cause of the built-in fm tuner but a integrated stereo amplifier will also be fine,  budget 25k, can anyone please suggest which will match the speakers above.

Thanks.
Your 25k budget is for both speakers and amp? Both the floorstanders are already 20k. Also, how big is your room? If it's not too big, you'll be better off with bookshelves.

Have not heard the Missions except that it sounds better "daw" than the Wharfedales, so can't comment on that.
That said, I just auditioned the 230s against the Pioneer FS52 last week. Both were powered by the Pioneer vsx531b AVR. I prefer the FS52 for music primarily because it's more transparent and details of the highs and mids are more apparent to my ears; bass is augmented on the 230s which makes midrange fuller but resolution is muted as a result. At almost half the cost of the 230, I'd go with the FS52 and Pioneer integ amp, or Rotel RA-10 if budget permits; or Hypersound AV2050 tube hybrid if you really want it warm.

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2523 on: Jul 15, 2017 at 11:12 PM »
Hi sirs,

I'm coming from a really old but reliable set of Altec Lansing ACS45.1 speakers that have served me from my days with it as my PC speakers to when I migrated it to serve as my speakers for my LED TV. A good 20 years na rin so when it conked out (2nd time na), I decided to replace it instead of having it serviced.

I replaced it with an Edifier X100 and frankly, sobra akong disappointed sa bass and overall sound quality.

I'd like to ask for your help in finding a suitable replacement that would be closest to the Altec Lansing I had. As you can see, I'm no audiophile, I'm happy with the Altec Lansing na, but the Edifier is just crap compared to it naman.

If you can recommend what brand (and what the price range would be) and where to buy sana locally, thanks in advance.

**photos aren't mine, just from the net for reference.

How much is your budget and what's your TV? You should get speakers with significantly more wattage than your TV speakers. Altec Lansing still makes speakers and you can get them from PC Express. If you have 9k to spare, get a JBL SB250, it's a very good soundbar, and I was quite surprised with it's performance. You can get this from Lazada.

Offline vinvic

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2524 on: Jul 16, 2017 at 01:46 PM »
I actually don't have a amplifier yet, so I also need advice which would match with the two speakers whatever i choose. I don't need a avr, stereo amp will do since i will mostly be using for music. Budget for the amp is below 30k.

Thanks again.

Hard to recommend which speaker would suit you specially since you did not specify what amplifier (or the specific model) you will be using. Normally an amplifier should be matched to a certain speaker or speakers. From experience and sound practice, making sure that the amplifier has enough power to drive the speakers is number 1. Speaker wire size and proper placement of speaker is another.

However, I don't think you can go wrong with both speakers. I'd do with either one then get at least a 100W per channel amplifier. If you just can't seem to get the sound you like, you can play around with different configurations of the speaker wires. You can get ideas from this forum on DIY speaker wires so you can narrow this gap. If that doesn't work, try using different audio sources - cellphone, CDP, DVD, turntable etc.

Offline Yakult

• Apprentice
  • ----------
  • Liked:
« Reply #2525 on: Jul 16, 2017 at 10:06 PM »
How much is your budget and what's your TV? You should get speakers with significantly more wattage than your TV speakers. Altec Lansing still makes speakers and you can get them from PC Express. If you have 9k to spare, get a JBL SB250, it's a very good soundbar, and I was quite surprised with it's performance. You can get this from Lazada.

Oh! Thanks for replying. It makes so much more sense now. My old Altecs had 32 watts total and the Edifier only had a total of 10W. That explains why I've been let down.

My budget is actually really low, 4-5K tops. Am I asking for too much for that price point? The JBL's read nice, pero just way out of my budget eh. Also, I'd prefer satellites and a sub because of the space I'm placing them in. I don't have space in front of the TV for the soundbar.

I'm looking at the Altc Lansing Lozenge or Helix now. Good idea? Or should I look elsewhere pa?

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2526 on: Jul 16, 2017 at 11:46 PM »
Oh! Thanks for replying. It makes so much more sense now. My old Altecs had 32 watts total and the Edifier only had a total of 10W. That explains why I've been let down.

My budget is actually really low, 4-5K tops. Am I asking for too much for that price point? The JBL's read nice, pero just way out of my budget eh. Also, I'd prefer satellites and a sub because of the space I'm placing them in. I don't have space in front of the TV for the soundbar.

I'm looking at the Altc Lansing Lozenge or Helix now. Good idea? Or should I look elsewhere pa?

I heard the Helix but as computer gaming speakers, so the speakers were right in front of me. I had those one of those old altec lansing speakers as well  and it sounded the same as the Helix, so I guess you will be happy with these as well.

Offline Yakult

• Apprentice
  • ----------
  • Liked:
« Reply #2527 on: Jul 17, 2017 at 07:34 AM »
I heard the Helix but as computer gaming speakers, so the speakers were right in front of me. I had those one of those old altec lansing speakers as well  and it sounded the same as the Helix, so I guess you will be happy with these as well.
Thanks! Will try listening to some so I can compare. Yes, I think if they're similar, I'll be satisfied na hehe. Thanks again.

Offline NickiRasgo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2528 on: Dec 06, 2017 at 02:49 AM »
I do highly recommend your choice: Swans M50.

I have this set of speakers, although I put them back inside the "premium" box packaging (the box even provides gloves to protect the speakers when handling the same!) because my house is still undergoing renovation and I am very particular about dust.

For the amount of money I paid, the Swans M50 exceeded my expectations. It has surprisingly  the sound signature of my older Polk floorstanding speakers. Neutral, balanced, detailed. The height and width of sweet spot is very impressive. The volume can easily and seriously fill the family den and beyond.

As for the bass, you will love the levels of low frequency when you need it and how much you want it (it has a control knob for that).

Hi Sir, still there?

I'm currently having trouble in making a decision which speaker should I get. I now have the chance to upgrade from my Swans M10 to a Swans M50W or Polk Audio S15 + Yamaha RX-V383/483.

Should I upgrade to Swans M50W? Or go directly to an HT (Polk Audio S15 + Yamaha RX-V383/483) setup instead?
Anyway here's my concerns. dilemma and considerations if I'll get an HT (Polk Audio S15 + Yamaha RX-V383/483):
- Not yet an 2.1 but I'll be buying soon a used subwoofer (about or below 10K budget)
- Will be 20K to 35K difference
- Power and electric consumption? AV Receiver plus subwoofer, will there be dramatically increase?
- Will only use in low to almost mid volume since I'm currently staying in condo (studio type)
- While I can manage to be able to fit it on condo, it (especially AV Receiver and a 10" subwoofer) will still consume a big space but manageable
- Won't get any speakers (center and surround) to complete the 5.1 setup anytime soon, will probably take me a year or two could be months but will be setup in province where I'm currently staying here in Manila (no space or pending if there'll be a space)
- Since about two (2) years ago, I said to myself that I'll be buying an HT soon given a chance especially if budget and space permits
- "Future proofing"
- By the way will be using mostly on my computer (games, music or movies), TV (movies) and phone/DAP (music)
- More importantly, is the sound difference really a big improvement compared to Swans M50W? When I tried the Polk Audio S15 it took me about a few minutes to have a "wow factor" while listening to it but honestly my ears are not really that "trained" when it comes to audiophile devices. I'm easily get contented and can live with an entry-level as long as I liked it although when I came back here I missed the soundings of Polk Audio S15
- I actually liked my Swans M10 but it lacks (volume and bass) and some dynamic of the sound

And here' my concerns. dilemma and considerations if I'll get the Swans M50W:
- Way way way cheaper
- Will be much easier to fit on my place
- An definitely upgrade to my Swans M10 but not sure how big aside from the volume and bass
- It has a subwoofer already
- Not a "future-proof" but will probably still use as my main computer speaker
- Is the overall sound quality comparable to an entry-level HT speakers esp. on the one I'll be choosing?

Anyways, I don't think I'll be able to use it in high volume but enough to fit the room without disturbing neighborhood.

Help me guys please. Hahah. I still have until 6PM today later to decide. I've given a 20% promo discount (more than usual 10%) of the Polk Audio S15, extension of HiFi Show promo.
Hopefully there are other users here who went from Swans M50W to an HT setup and have an insight for this.

Thanks!

Offline ninang

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2529 on: Feb 11, 2018 at 04:14 PM »
Ano pong marerecommend nyo na entry-level (or cheap) na front bookshelf speakers and center na available for shipping? Currently I'm stuck with options sa lazada lang (polk t15 +t30 or pure Acoustics supernova)

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #2530 on: Feb 12, 2018 at 11:51 PM »
Ano pong marerecommend nyo na entry-level (or cheap) na front bookshelf speakers and center na available for shipping? Currently I'm stuck with options sa lazada lang (polk t15 +t30 or pure Acoustics supernova)
How much is your budget? Don't get it from Lazada, baka maging problem pa ang warranty claim. Order it from a local store. Watts Hifi in Makati Cinema Square can ship items. Starter speakers I recommend are ELAC Debut B6, PSB Image B6 or Alpha B1, Mission MX2. All of these choices are easy to power.

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 304
« Reply #2531 on: Feb 12, 2018 at 11:57 PM »

malayo ba location mo sir kaya mas prefer mo shipping? .

Offline ninang

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2532 on: Feb 13, 2018 at 01:27 PM »
How much is your budget? Don't get it from Lazada, baka maging problem pa ang warranty claim. Order it from a local store. Watts Hifi in Makati Cinema Square can ship items. Starter speakers I recommend are ELAC Debut B6, PSB Image B6 or Alpha B1, Mission MX2. All of these choices are easy to power.

less than 10k lang po budget ko for a pair of bookshelf speakers, yung local stores sa amin around 15k ang cheapest, or yung mga 5.1 sets lang ang available

malayo ba location mo sir kaya mas prefer mo shipping? .

yup malayo, cebu po

Offline richardcruz

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2533 on: Feb 13, 2018 at 04:53 PM »
The entry level Wharfedales are less than P10k and are award winning, sound stunning and versatile for both HT and music.

Offline ninang

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2534 on: Feb 13, 2018 at 05:44 PM »
Mission MXS
Wharfedale Diamond 210

ano po mas marerecommend nyo na temporary front speakers and rear/surround speakers to go with micca MB42x front + center set?

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #2535 on: Feb 16, 2018 at 08:31 AM »
Mission MXS
Wharfedale Diamond 210

ano po mas marerecommend nyo na temporary front speakers and rear/surround speakers to go with micca MB42x front + center set?

Mission for me. Hirap ang mga entry to mid level AV Receivers to power ang Wharfdale.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #2536 on: Feb 16, 2018 at 11:20 AM »
Mission for me. Hirap ang mga entry to mid level AV Receivers to power ang Wharfdale.
Medjo. Technique ko is to increase the cut off point ng speakers. Mga 100hz up.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Offline ninang

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2537 on: Feb 16, 2018 at 12:53 PM »
sientobente, Nelson de Leon thanks, i'll go with mission. it's cheaper also.

Offline zram18

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2538 on: Feb 16, 2018 at 07:59 PM »
i already heard both mission and wharfe (200 series). the mission lacks life, hence my vote goes to the wharfe.. but thats me.
audition both, and let your ears decide.

Offline yvesjae

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2539 on: Mar 02, 2018 at 12:15 PM »
would wharfedale diamond 9.1 be good for atmos front height speakers? or is it too much and just use diamond 9SR?

Offline mpbtejada

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2540 on: Apr 20, 2018 at 02:03 PM »
Hi! I'm planning to dive into and slowly build a budget Home Theater system. It will be for a 3m x 4.5m (13.5sqm) small room where my living room is part of an open layout beside the dining and kitchen. Planning to use it for both music and movies.

So far, I've zeroed in on a Denon X540BT AVR. Was wondering which entry level front speakers and sub would be good to go with this. TIA!

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #2541 on: Apr 20, 2018 at 09:31 PM »
Take advantage of our marketplace.
For AVR's, try to get one with remaining manufacturer's warranty.
Bang for the buck is the way to go. That way, you need not settle for entry level.
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/board,110.0.html

Offline luiscalleno

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2542 on: May 10, 2018 at 11:58 AM »
FOCAL MULTIMEDIA SPEAKERS WILL SURE HIT!  ;)

Offline jp_yap

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2543 on: Jun 21, 2018 at 03:27 PM »
Would recommend klipsch rp-160m :)

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=10632.msg2626184.msg#2626184

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

pioneer sc-lx86 | klipsch rp series

Offline openjars

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2544 on: Jul 01, 2018 at 03:41 PM »
Moving from headphones to proper growing speaker set up. There have been amazing deals at forum marketplace but couldn't dibs early/fast enough. Decided to go new, would like to seek  recommendations between a wharfedale 225 or a Polk s20 or anything within the price range. Any advice would be appreciated!

Offline grohl

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2545 on: Jul 22, 2018 at 06:30 PM »
hi mga sirs, ano maganda bookshelf speaker para sa 15 watt amp ?  ano specs ng speaker ang kailangan ko i-consider?  :)
polk audio rti a1, MA rx6

Offline srkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #2546 on: Oct 24, 2022 at 10:16 AM »
Anybody using Swans D100? balak ko kabit sa TV and for wireless music sana...

Thanks sa sasagot :)

Offline noob

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5245
« Reply #2547 on: Oct 24, 2022 at 12:46 PM »
^^ meron q acoustics 2910i, b&w 685 s1 at psb imagine xb sa marketplace, those are very good brands of speakers. audition nyo by bringing your amps sa place ng seller kung payag. 

Offline srkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #2548 on: Oct 24, 2022 at 01:09 PM »
@noob, thanks and noted.  powered na sana para no need for amp ...