Author Topic: mordaunt short speakers  (Read 186046 times)

Offline dexterc

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • CISCO Certified
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 251
mordaunt short speakers
« on: Jul 05, 2002 at 09:21 AM »
saw a packgae of this speakers at park square...any comment on this set for those you have experienced it?...want to upgrade my nsp 220 thats why i am looking for speakers...thanks in advance

Offline luther

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • protegetech.org rav4world.com tsikot.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:mordaunt short speakers
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2002 at 06:48 PM »
not that good IMHO, also saw it in park square and auditioned it.  

i think they are packaging their low-end model with a kenwood receiver for only 36,000.  IMHO, the kenwood receiver is overated for the speakers!  

their speakers are kinda acceptable but you could find better speakers for the same amount.  plus, the sales people there aren't that friendly when am asking about their speakers.  para bang iniistorbo ko pa sila, buset.

Offline cybermms

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2002 at 02:33 PM »
The Mordaunt Short speakers that are in the market now are not as highly rated as the European made models (10i, 20i, pearl editions, etc.) available in years 96-98. For your information, that company was closed in the late 90's and another group took over. I suppose the quality of the originals was not maintained.

Only thing good about these new models is the aesthetics.

cybermms

Offline dexterc

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • CISCO Certified
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 251
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2002 at 10:18 AM »
luther and cybermms thanks a lot!!! any suggestions  for my upgrade?..kahit subs at front  & center speakers lang muna....then maybe surround na pag medyo maluwag na budget ko

Offline luther

• Collector
  • protegetech.org rav4world.com tsikot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2002 at 11:13 AM »
i auditioned the mission m70 series at hyperaudio's place and it really really sounds good!  especially that it was paired with an onkyo 600.  try going to the mission thread at baka i pa lock i2! hehehe...  ;D

Offline tABs

• Collector
  • Last Man Standing
  • Liked:
Mordaunt-Short Speakers
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003 at 09:57 AM »

80 watts
downfiring
phase control (0-180 deg)
low frequency cutoff control
volume control
high level input/ouput terminals (L/R)
RCA input (L/R)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2003 at 05:17 AM by tABs »

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
Re:Mordaunt-Short Speakers
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003 at 12:24 PM »
Am using a Mordaunt MS914 floorstander and am planning to upgrade the rest of my speakers to this brand,  Saw an MS sub at the 5th avenue at park square and if i recall right it was priced at about P12k.  the model is higher though.  

I read that MS is a British brand and is consdiered in the same league as some wharfedales. missions and b&w.  check-out the google site and type mordaunt short to get to its sits and some reviews, not much.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003 at 01:14 PM »
Mordaunt Shorts are entry to top level mid- fi speaker systems. their most expensive pair tops off at 2000usd (502).

they're good value for money. no doubt about it.

Offline czedryk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VICI
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003 at 02:25 PM »
Hi!

I'm using MS-Premier System (302/304/308), and i like them very much.

All i can say is that the sub is solid, and has enough power to shake a medium sized room.

You can browse their site www.mordaunt-short.co.uk

Offline Sauron Cookie

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Build me a cookie worthy of my army!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003 at 11:50 PM »
Are the current models still made in UK?

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2003 at 02:20 PM »
Are the current models still made in UK?

China-made na rin.  Drivers are still made in UK. Like Wharfedales.  I think some models of B&W uises drivers made in CHina but assembed in the UK. DOn't know which is better.  Drivers made in CHina or just assembled in CHina.

Very soon, everything will be made in China!!!!

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2003 at 01:43 PM »
di ba talaga maganda ang sound ng new models? the relatively low price is very tempting...

i checked their site and the more expensive 500 thx series seems to have received either BEST BUY or RECOMMEDED from major British magazines. the budget model 900 series uses the same aluminum drivers.

i think i read somewhere in another thread about the kenwood receivers not being a good match bcoz when they brought in a rotel amp, the mordaunts started to sing.

can owners comment on mordaunt compared to other brands/models? i'm seriously considering this bcoz of the price.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2003 at 02:31 PM »
China-made na rin.  Drivers are still made in UK. Like Wharfedales.  I think some models of B&W uises drivers made in CHina but assembed in the UK. DOn't know which is better.  Drivers made in CHina or just assembled in CHina.

Very soon, everything will be made in China!!!!

B&W drivers are made in England.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2003 at 02:37 PM »
di ba talaga maganda ang sound ng new models? the relatively low price is very tempting...

i checked their site and the more expensive 500 thx series seems to have received either BEST BUY or RECOMMEDED from major British magazines. the budget model 900 series uses the same aluminum drivers.

i think i read somewhere in another thread about the kenwood receivers not being a good match bcoz when they brought in a rotel amp, the mordaunts started to sing.

can owners comment on mordaunt compared to other brands/models? i'm seriously considering this bcoz of the price.

How about Mission or Klipsch.

Mission - The Hometheater or Hyperaudio
Klipsch - The Hometheater

Usually the price difference is minimal but try to spend more for your speakers. You will be using you speaker even after 10 years so its better to invest on a good model. Im not saying MS is not good but with the same price other brands can sing better. just my 1 cent

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2003 at 03:10 PM »

Seems like a good match with my Onkyo amo.  Am using the MS 914 whcih i got by happenstance.  No regrets though.  

I did try to compare a lower model floorstander at 5th ave with the a Mission m73i both of which retail at about the same price and i found no discerible difference in the bass department at comfortable listening levels. The Mordaunts, however, exhibit a degree of brightness and clairty that seems to be unique to metallic cone drivers that many reviewers fnd more accurate and exhibit better transient handling than other cone matierals except kevlar or titanium on tweeters.   Its build, aesthetics  and workmanship is outstanding for the price.  

Eversince owning one, i found the need for a center channel less compelling  as i find phantoming it in DPL/DD/DTS more sonically appealing.  Its ability to image well is likewise excellent.  I could hear triangle bells and distant percussions seemingly at a level behind and above the speakers.

Am not sure about the 500 series though they share the same driver technolgy as the declaration 900 series.  I suggest you audition one at 5th Ave at the Park Square and compare it with the other brands in that shop.  You may want to try their flagship models that have built-in powered subs whch i think retail at around 40T a pair.

Personally i find the sound from most entry level speakers not much different from each other.   You may have to go up to the 40T+ level per pair to find  any dramatic difference.  Just my 2 cents.

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2003 at 03:28 PM by av_phile »

Offline greatness

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 08, 2003 at 02:56 PM »
Tanong ko lang po guys,

I'm planning to buy a sub and what I have in mind is eiter the 308w sub, yun may pic na naka-post or 970w. Medyo limited budget ko at ito ang nakita ko na medyo ok sa price range na kaya ko.

Which do you think would be better for both movie and audio? My receiver is a HK btw.

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 08, 2003 at 05:07 PM »
Tanong ko lang po guys,

I'm planning to buy a sub and what I have in mind is eiter the 308w sub, yun may pic na naka-post or 970w. Medyo limited budget ko at ito ang nakita ko na medyo ok sa price range na kaya ko.

Which do you think would be better for both movie and audio? My receiver is a HK btw.

If you could save some more get the 907W model which i think retails for 12T thereabout.  I think the spec sheet I have says it goes down to 23Hz.  Could be wrong, but i suggest you listen and compare the two.  They're both available at 5th avenue Park Square. The price difference isn't that huge.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2003 at 05:09 PM by av_phile »

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 08, 2003 at 05:55 PM »
av_phile, thanks for the info.. i spoke to ronald of 5th ave in megamall and he said they don't have the 500 series anymore, and have no further plans carrying it.  too expensive i guess at 48k.  they do have the 908 which is the same as the 502 without the built-in amp.  at 30k its "cheap" compared to a mission m52, but its still way above my budget.  speaking of the 902, now thats a better priced speaker.  i guess im doomed to own bookshelves forever.  i wonder how much is that brines-fostex pre-built?

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 09, 2003 at 12:58 AM »
Akyatbundok,

The Mission M73  is less than 15T.

Offline greatness

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 09, 2003 at 08:12 AM »
Thanks av_phile, before I purchase any one of those I will definitely do a extensive test and choose carefully, medyo limited budget ko. I hope it will be at par for both movie and music.

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2003 at 09:31 AM »
av_phile, thanks for the info.. i spoke to ronald of 5th ave in megamall and he said they don't have the 500 series anymore, and have no further plans carrying it.  too expensive i guess at 48k.  they do have the 908 which is the same as the 502 without the built-in amp.  at 30k its "cheap" compared to a mission m52, but its still way above my budget.  speaking of the 902, now thats a better priced speaker.  i guess im doomed to own bookshelves forever.  i wonder how much is that brines-fostex pre-built?

Audition the MS904 which i find very competitive with the mission m73i.  Its a floorstadner sharing the same driver units as the 902 but have more extended bass.  I think the price difference is about 3T which is anout the same as a speaker stand.  Same price difference between a mission m72 bookshelf and the m73 floorstander.  Bear in mind a floorstrander and a bookshelf on stand both occupy the same real estate footprint.

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 09, 2003 at 09:33 AM »
Akyatbundok,

The Mission M73  is less than 15T.

If i recall right, last i checked with Spectra, you can have the m73i for 12.5T cash

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 09, 2003 at 05:21 PM »
ive done further research and it turns out the ms-904, ms-908 and the mission m73i are all within my budget.  ill probably audition all of them.  the flagship 908 is feasible bcoz with its 10" passive (sub)woofers, i can sell my mirage sub so i spend "only" 16k.  if i get the 904 and keep the sub, i will spend 10k.  the real price difference is actually 13k but for me its going to be 6k.

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 09, 2003 at 06:35 PM »
ive done further research and it turns out the ms-904, ms-908 and the mission m73i are all within my budget.  ill probably audition all of them.  the flagship 908 is feasible bcoz with its 10" passive (sub)woofers, i can sell my mirage sub so i spend "only" 16k.  if i get the 904 and keep the sub, i will spend 10k.  the real price difference is actually 13k but for me its going to be 6k.

Personally, i'd keep the sub and get the 904.  

With a separate powered sub you get better flexibility in room speaker placements.  In general, you get better soundstage imaging as you move the stereo main speakers away from the wall boundaries but you get diminished bass response.  Keeping  a separate sub closer to the corners or walls  reinforce bass response.  Getting good soundstage stereo imaging and excellent  bass response are two inversely related traits when it comes to speaker placement.  Just my 2 cents.

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2003 at 06:35 PM by av_phile »

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 09, 2003 at 07:19 PM »
sige bro i'll take that into consideration when i audition.  mukhang very accomodating ang 5th ave. sa megamall compared to park square.  i'll get to try out the 902, 904 and 908.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 21, 2003 at 01:53 PM »
i was able to audition the 902 and 908 this weekend thanks to rey of 5th ave megamall who was very accomodating.  i had the listening room to myself for about an hour.  first thing i noticed about these spkrs was the very detailed sound, w/c makes me think they're voiced for HT.  reminds me alot of yamaha, they say its the best for HT but falls slightly behind on audio.  but i think that depends on your taste in audio.  i happen to like detailed sound.

the 902 doesn't have much bass below 55hz.  i think this is what some guys have been telling me about mordaunts being "bitin".  compared to my AE bookshelf w/c also had small 5" woofers, they sounded thin.  AE aegis ones go down 38hz.  for comparison, monitor audio B2 with bigger 6" woofers go down 42hz, still short of the AE but it has tighter/punchier bass.

however, the 902 combined with mordaunt's 907w subwoofer sounded very good.  this combi kicks ass and does 23hz.  i figure its just a matter of taste since the the 902+907 combination doesnt cost much more than the AE or MA pair.  among these 3 bookshelf spkrs (sori i havnt heard that many), i think AE had best imaging & vocals, MA most exciting, and MS the best value.  the B2 and 902 seemed to my ears to have the same detailed character except for the fatter bass on the B2.  i guess its not a fair comparison.  the 902 should be compared to the B1, and the B2 should be compared to the 912.  i say let them pick on their own size.. hehe.  anyway, having owned the AE which goes lower than both, you would still need a fast sub to get full range.

on to the 908, i was treated to a BIG sound that gave justice to my rock cd's.  dang i haven't enjoyed rock this much for a very long time.  its the flagship floorstander with sidefiring 10" woofers.  Hi-fi Choice was right on the money when they said this is not a speaker for resolving musical minutae, it puts scale & dynamics before transparency.  drums sounded big & punchy but trumpets sound like they're coming straight from the speakers.  i thought the fixed crossover point between the 10" woofer and the dual 5" mids was too high at 100hz, ideal for HT but lessens the warmth on vocals when playing audio tracks.  it had the same effect when i set the speaker size of my AE spkrs to small, w/c cuts off the low freq at 100hz and feeds the rest to my sub.  for HT this sounds better, but for vocals i prefer full range.

the verdict?  im gonna buy the 908 + 902 + 905c + 907w combi this week.  the mission m5x set looks tantalizing but that one costs about twice the MS set.  maybe in 5yrs time i'd have enough dough to upgrade to that.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2003 at 09:58 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #26 on: Jul 21, 2003 at 02:17 PM »
i bought the 902s with the 907 and paired them with the Kenwood krf-x9060d and can attest to how good the combi sounds at home. Hindi ako nagsisisi with my choice.
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 22, 2003 at 01:40 PM »
Hi akyatnundok,

As a MS user myself (MS914), i can't help but congratulate you on your would-be purchase this week.   The MS speakers are very detailed and revealing as they use a very responsivealuminum cone drivers.  Metal drivers are known for such character, better than many paper-based, treated or synthetic materials, (except Kevlar)  Music will always benefit from speakers that have greater detail and resolution, among other things.

I am just a little cuirous about your choice for the 908.  This speaker has two mid/bass drivers and a large side-firing woofer.  Plus the fact you're gonna use the 907W Hindi kaya ma-overtaken ng bass yung mids and highs mo under this condition?  
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2003 at 04:34 PM by av_phile »

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 22, 2003 at 04:06 PM »
thanks av_phile.  know wat, i honestly didnt plan on getting the sub, but they offerred 20% off if i get the sub vs. 15% off if i didnt.  the difference is only 5k.  i look at it as if i bought a branded sub for only 5k.  now i have 2 branded subs w/c i can sell for a good sum, so my net expense for this upgrade could improve w/ the inclusion of the sub.  of course i will still hav 2 listen to it and see how it sounds with the whole setup.  maybe the sub will help for HT and i wont need to sell it.  im buying it tomorrow.  i can't wait!
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2003 at 05:20 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 29, 2003 at 05:53 PM »
I've had the speakers for about a month now, and i'm enjoying them very much.  I posted the pics on page 40 of the "picture of ur setup" thread.

I went hunting for amplifiers after i realized that the 908 was overkill for my setup.  They weren't an easy load on the receiver, so i decided to let go of my old Denon.  I "gave" it to a friend in exchange for a small donation (i.e. sold it really cheap to the lucky guy).  Its not really the Denon's fault, in fact it matched better with the 902 bookshelf than my AE speakers.  The warm Denon and the bright 902 were a very good match.  Dialogue and special effects were very clear & detailed.  Sometimes it would appear as if the 902 was louder than the 908.  At one point i was wondering if i had made a mistake.  But now I attribute that to the receiver not having enough juice on the front channels to power the 4 drivers of the 908; its like asking it to drive a 3-way speaker plus a passive sub on each channel.

So that's probably why I went amp-crazy and bought on impulse 2 extra amps for a very cheap price at the pier (see "surplus amp" thread).  I'm currently rotating 3 amps on the MS-908 trying to find the best match.  With my old receiver, these speakers were great on movies but didnt reveal their true talent for music until I started using separate 2ch amplification.

This being only my 2nd setup, i dont have much to compare it with for reference.  Tonal balance depends on the amplifier i use.  With an Onkyo Integra it is well extended on the highs & lows but a little lean on the mids so i find it goes well with an X10-D connected to the dvd player.  With a Sony ES the mids and bass are just right but the highs are rolled off so i miss some detail.  With the Luxman amp, they sound so sweet and natural - perfect match!  On all the amps i tried, the vocalist appears to be positioned about 1-2 feet above and behind the speakers, like she's standing behind the TV.  While some instruments appear to be floating in the space between them, some instruments do come out of the speakers directly, so i guess you could say its a mixed bag as far as transparency is concerned.  But then again, i've never heard a completely transparent speaker in my life even in auditions so i dont know what im missing.

On movies, i find that i still need to use a subwoofer, but at the minimum crossover setting of 50Hz.  I smile whenever there's an explosion; when a motorbike moves from rear to fronts - you could really hear the grunt.  Sometimes i pause the movie and go back a few seconds just to replay a loud sound effect.  I just had to hear it again hehe.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2003 at 11:15 PM by akyatbundok »