Author Topic: mordaunt short speakers  (Read 186782 times)

Offline Audioboy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:mordaunt short speakers
« Reply #30 on: Aug 29, 2003 at 07:59 PM »
akyatbundok,

you got a nice place for your great gears! cool ambiance ;D

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #31 on: Aug 29, 2003 at 08:50 PM »
Akyatbundok,

Galing ng set up mo bro. That's what i call cost effective purchases. Dami mong options to play around with your gears. By the way, am also using MS speakers all around powered by a kenwood AVR.
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #32 on: Aug 30, 2003 at 01:09 PM »

I also has MS Speakers for my HT Setup (Except Sub)

912 - Front
905C - Center
902 - Surround

Connected to a KENWOOD 9060D. I don't find it bright sounding. It's very smooth and detailed. I always wanted to listen to it at high volume (HT and Music) sarap kasi pakinggan. I can reach -5 on the Volume Indicator without Distortion. (Spkr Setting: +3 - ALL Except Center; 0)

I will post picture as soon as makahiram ako ng Digital Cam. BTW, I got this 5.1 MS Package at Less 20% + Less 5%. Wala pa yong 912. Inaantay ko pa pero bayad na. No more stock sa 5th Ave. .1 is MS 308 pero sa friend ko iyon. I got KENWOOD SW-301 as Sub.(4yrsold na).    

The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 30, 2003 at 10:46 PM »
Nels76,

Bro, you got a very good deal there. When I bought my MS 5.1 package last December, ang maximum discount ay 20% lang. Guess 5th Ave. is trying to move more of their MS stocks.

Pareho din tayo na type to play them loud. Si mrs. lang ayaw when she also watches movies. ;D  
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #34 on: Aug 31, 2003 at 12:11 AM »
Hey guys,

I got my active sub finally, yhanks to my friend nels76. Can't forget the night when we had a hard time getting those speakers home. I'm quite happy with the perfromance of the ms308. Malalim at malabot ang bass nya. Really a good compliment for my speakers. kelangan pa nga lang ma break-in pa ng 2 weeks para mas lalong ayos.

Narining ko na rin yung set-up nya (nels76) although may utang pa 5th ave. sa kanya ng ms912. Impressed ako sa center speaker nya. Ang linaw. kelan  ba natin kukunin yung 912 mo dre?

akyatbundok, eleganteng tignan yung set-up mo.

Offline akyatbundok

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Aug 31, 2003 at 05:37 PM »
thanks bro... wow u got a good deal at 25% off?!?!  sana ako rin, hanggang 20% lang binigay sakin eh tulad ni narayan.

this weekend i switched my fronts with my rear speakers.  now im listening to the 902 on stereo music with a sony ES integrated amp, which is a very good match (on the onkyo integra they sounded bright).  on my new favorite cd featuring female vocals & acoustic music, the 902 + sony combo was detailed, sweet & warm - just what i need for a bedroom audio system.. but its probably not a combo for rock or R&B... or so i thought.  i got a big surprise yesterday when i moved it closer to the wall.  ive always positioned my front speakers about 3 feet from the back wall because i got used to that positioning with my previous AE speakers, w/c were designed to deliver good bass even on free space.  the 902's at that position sounds very clear & detailed but a bit thin from what i'm used to.  that explains my review last July 21.  when i moved them closer to the wall, about 1 foot away, ...whoa ...shockers... the bass performance was like from a totally different speaker.  now i hear drums "attack" as they should.

ive asked 5th ave for a demo of their 912 which has a bigger woofer and improved crossover.  unfortunately they say its out of stock.  i wanted to hear this particular model to see how it competes against the monitor audio B2.
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2003 at 10:24 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline Audioboy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Sep 01, 2003 at 08:22 AM »
akyatbundok,

medyo OT.  In all your listening tests with your amps, do you usually connect the x10d?

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Sep 01, 2003 at 02:46 PM »
juls, i tried both ways: with and without an X10-D.  the benefits depend on the speaker/amp combo im using.

ms-902 + onkyo = bright sound, using the X10-D leads to better balance & smoother sound

ms-908 + onkyo = detailed but not bright; X10-D leads to better balance & smoother sound

ms-902 + sony = tonal balance is just right, no need for X10-D; very very slight improvement on mid/midbass

ms-908 + sony = subdued high frequency; X10-D doesnt help resolve more detail; very very slight improvement on mid/midbass

ms-908/902 + luxman = good combo as-is, X10-D causes over-emphasis/shout on mids
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2003 at 02:50 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline Audioboy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 01, 2003 at 03:22 PM »
akyatbundok,

tnx for your reply. :)

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Sep 01, 2003 at 08:15 PM »

Narayan,

Your screen name here sounds like my Boss' Name. Narayanan naman siya. Di kaya ikaw yon? (Joke Lang)

Anyway, IMHO, correct me if I am wrong, your setup is good to listen to kapag gustong-gusto mo lakasan, right? hindi siya fatiguing sa ears even at long listening period. I watched EAGLES live (2 months ago - but not with MS Speakers yet; connected to Mini Component Speakers) and I was able to reach +5 (Spkr Level: ALL 0) without brightness and harshness. Mga Visitors did not complain na "HINAAN MO NAMAN YAN. ANGSAKIT SA TENGA". Bagkus, "LAKASAN MO PA NGA!!!".
I think this 9060D is "LAID BACK" sounding.

Narayan,
When watching movies with your 9060D, do you turn THX function? How about Speaker EQ? Active EQ?

James,
I will get my MS 912 when they got stock. According to Wilson (5th Ave. MEGA MALL), stocks available September, 2nd Week.  

akyatbundok,
For a Rear-Ported Speakers like MS 902, 912, Mission M72i and many others, Bass will be enhanced when positioned near a wall.

According to my MS 902 Manual, Bass is optimized when placed 10-25cm from the wall. Therefore, its  not true that MS 902 is thin-sounding. Positioning is critical.

Have you tried Bi-Wiring your 902? How about replacing the metal jumper with Speaker Ceble?  

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Sep 01, 2003 at 10:32 PM »
nels76,

To answer your questions about the Kenwood 9060 with the MS speakers: no, I dont turn the THX switch on as it disables both the speaker and active EQs which I enjoy using when watching dvds. I like it best when speaker EQ is set to small with the 902s as my fronts and the active EQ set to either movie or music. I can hear the sound being enhanced to my liking! :D

Have also removed the brass coated speaker jumpers and replaced them with the same speaker wire connected to the front and center speakers. I just dont remember now how they sounded before the switch. ;D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Sep 02, 2003 at 12:19 PM »
I will get my MS 912 when they got stock. According to Wilson (5th Ave. MEGA MALL), stocks available September, 2nd Week.  

According to my MS 902 Manual, Bass is optimized when placed 10-25cm from the wall. Therefore, its  not true that MS 902 is thin-sounding. Positioning is critical.

thanks for the info nels!  will definitely audition the 912 when it becomes available.  i've heard the equivalent floorstander (914) and it sounds so good.  both have a 6.5" woofer and improved crossover.  see what's behind the binding posts taken from a dutch site:

you're right about the importance of speaker positioning to optimize the sound.  i didnt realize that speakers are voiced with a certain positioning in mind, and the designers tell you the optimum positioning in the manual.  lesson learned: read the manual!

there's a corridor in my bedroom where the sub-bass coming from the other room is emphasized.  i dunno why/how it happens, maybe the corridor is acting like one big transmission line or bass port, but i normally hear it when i use the big 908.  positioned near the wall of the other room, im pleasantly surprised that the small 902 also produces sub-bass in my corridor.

although the hifi-choice review wasn't very flattering, i got the 902 anyway for my rears because of a couple of consumer reviews i read from the net.  i always put more weight on consumer reviews than commercial reviews.  there's this one guy in audioreview who has all the MS-90x series (902, 904, 906, 908) plus b&w 602 and epos m12.  he said he uses the 902 for his high-end system because it produces the warmest vocals.

i'm tempted to do the same, but i will lose my rear surrounds.
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2003 at 10:17 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Sep 02, 2003 at 11:26 PM »
Akyatbundok,

You can probably consider using less expensive speakers for surrounds like the wharfdale diamond 8.1s.
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Sep 03, 2003 at 05:56 AM »
The 902's are good speakers, they just don't get much press unlike the m72's, 8.1's and other budget bookshelves. But they're good...I would like to compare them with the 912's and see if the added bass from the 912 will affect the midrange which is one of the strengths of the 902.

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Sep 03, 2003 at 06:23 AM »

Narayan,

Thanks for the info. Kanya-kanya talaga tayo ng taste. I like all the options of my 9060D. Whether THX ON, Active EQ ON or Speaker EQ ON. Gusto ko sila lahat.  You said THX Disables Speaker EQ and Active EQ. Its true when Sp EQ and Act EQ is ON and then you'll TURN THX ON.

But actually, All of them can be turned ON. I just don't know kung by function.
How?
TURN THX ON first then Turn Active EQ and Speaker EQ ON.
You'll notice that naka-ON lahat ng LED Indicator. I just don't know if it is really functioning but you'll hear improvement.

I'm planning also to replace the Metal Jumpers of all my MS Speakers with Speaker Cables. Masgaganda tunog.

Akyatbundok,

That's a crossover network on the picture, right? Ok ha.
Buti napaganda mo pa sound ng 902 mo. Just read the manual for some recommendations. Even at 5th Avenue when I auditoned the 902 a month ago, sabi ko nipis ng BASS but when wilson positioned it near the wall, lumakas and I was impressed.

By the way MS 912 got a 4 out of 4 "WORLD" rating twice from HI-FI World last 3rd Quarter. You can look for that on the MS Website.

Antay ko na nga 912 ko for my front. Bayad na. As of now, 902 is my front and the Mini-Component Speakers as my Surround. Soon, when 912 arrives, 902 will be my surround.

MS 912 was just released last year. 2nd Quarter ata. Kaya wala pa makita sa net na other Reviews.  

Cheers MS Speakers Owners!

MS is good. di lang siya napapansin.

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Sep 03, 2003 at 11:37 PM »
Nels76,

Try ko what you said about turning THX  on muna then the other EQs. Thanks bro.

MS speakers are not just good. I believe theyre excellent value for money! Awaiting your news on the 912s soon. :D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Sep 04, 2003 at 10:44 AM »
Akyatbundok,

You can probably consider using less expensive speakers for surrounds like the wharfdale diamond 8.1s.

onga eh, thanks for the suggestion narayan... maganda rin tumunog ang diamond 8.1 for almost half the price.  iba lang characteristic niya, medyo laid back ang tweeter kaya mas litaw ang midrange.  iba rin ang sensitivity at impedance kaya baka hindi mag match sa fronts.

sa budget speaker ang daming choices!  mordaunt 902/912, monitor B2, mission m73i, diamond 8.1/8.2, etc. -- all are competitively priced.  i agree MS is excellent value esp. the 902's which is 2nd cheapest but among the best in finish.  i was doing A/B comparison with the flagship 908 and they sound almost exactly the same except the bass.
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2003 at 10:53 AM by akyatbundok »

Offline aligonzales

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Sep 05, 2003 at 11:30 AM »
I listened to MS 902, 903s, 905c and 907w sub at the 5th Ave Elec City in ATC. People there are very accomodating. Ang linaw talaga ng tunog!!! The sub produces impressive low frequencies! Tamang tama ung mix ng tweeter and midrange of the 902 and the 905c. Palagay ko mas gaganda pa tunog nito kung Denon ang receiver na gagamitin. They're selling the set for P40k less 20%. Definitely the lowest priced excellent sounding speakers I've heared. Nakakainggit set-up ni akyatbundok  :)  I'm saving up for this one. Sana sale pa din in a few months time  :D
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2003 at 11:41 AM by aligonzales »

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Sep 05, 2003 at 12:50 PM »
aligonzales,

You can attribute that to the AVR if that is connected to a KENWOOD 9060D receiver. Sounds really great sa HT. Of course, can still be improved if connected to a higher end receivers.

5th Ave. MEGA MALL is offering MS Speakers at 20% off plus 5% off more on 5.1 Package. Any Combi.

I got my:
MS 912
MS 905C
MS 902
MS 308
at the said discount. So I saved approx. 10k.
Malaking savings na yan.

Initially, they said the promo will be until end of july but to my surprise it was extended 'til end september. I just don't know kung i-extend pa nila.

Got mine last Aug. 15. That Rainy evening. Very Unforgettable. It took us 3hours from MEGA to Malate because of bad weather. Ayaw pa magpasakay ng mga TAXI.

cheers.

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Sep 05, 2003 at 11:29 PM »
nels76,

Sulit naman ang pagod mo afterwards bro, di ba? :D

By the way bro, tried THX on then the EQ switches on the 9060D when I watched Robbie Williams Live at the Albert then set the volume to -10. Heavenly talaga and sound! ;D

aligonzales,

Bro, grab na the special deal at 5th ave. Mega. Also got my MS 5.1 set with only 20% discount last Xmas time.
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Sep 14, 2003 at 11:12 PM »

MS Fanatics,

MS 912 is now available at 5th Ave. MEGA MALL. I already got mine today. I-break in ko pa. Hopefully totally broken in by Sept 20 in time for the listening session with akyat and Narayan.

5th avenue also has this new MS Sub. MS909. Looks the same as 907 but bigger.

Cheers.

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 03:47 AM »
how much is the 912 and the 909?

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 07:03 AM »
john,

MS 912 is being offered at around 11,500.

I was not able to ask the price of MS 909. But I will give you an idea. MS 907 (10inch driver) is 12k+. MS 909 (12inch driver) should be around 13k to 15k.

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 09:37 AM »
thanks, i'll see how it compares to the monitor audio b2

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 10:55 AM »

This MS909W is also my target sub.  Could be wrong, but i think it's much more expensive than a few thousands above the MS907W.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2003 at 10:56 AM by av_phile »

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 11:13 AM »
awshucks.... ain't it a work of art?  i also wanted to get the 909w for my sub but it wasn't available yet at that time.  sayang yung discount ko... hu hu hu

before considering a product, i always download the manual if its available.  it will show you advertised vs. documented specs, and any unique features it may have.  here are the specs in the manual:

12-inch aluminum cone -- (not paper cone)
300W power output
450W power consumption
30hz-200hz -- (must be a typo)
28kg/61lbs -- (i like 'em heavy!!)

plus there's a single-band parametric equalizer with a variable center frequency similar to the THX ms-502 powered speakers...  it lets you calibrate the bass response to your listening room with a supplied EQ test CD and an SPL meter (not included).
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2003 at 07:31 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 11:55 AM »
...i think it's much more expensive than a few thousands above the MS907W.

yup, confirmed... its twice the price of the 907w.  twice the price for twice the specs i guess.

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 12:25 PM »
That would put the MS909 in the range of other mid-priced subs like velodyne, infinity, paradyme, etc.  I know that metal-based cones have cleaner and more accurate sound.  And the continuous MS contour makes it an ideal speaker driver with piston-like air motion behaviour.  Would be interesting to hear it against other brands more famous in the subs department.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2003 at 12:25 PM by av_phile »

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 02:10 PM »
it should do good in ht..the question is if its fast enough for music since its a 12 incher :)

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 04:55 PM »
it should do good in ht..the question is if its fast enough for music since its a 12 incher :)

Maybe if its sealed and not ported.  Is it?  The MS site is silent on this.