Author Topic: mordaunt short speakers  (Read 186658 times)

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 115
Re:mordaunt short speakers
« Reply #60 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 09:46 PM »

MS Fanatics,

MS 912 is now available at 5th Ave. MEGA MALL. I already got mine today. I-break in ko pa. Hopefully totally broken in by Sept 20 in time for the listening session with akyat and Narayan.

5th avenue also has this new MS Sub. MS909. Looks the same as 907 but bigger.

Cheers.

Bro,

Congrats on your new baby. Dumating din! :D It should be broken in already by saturday coz approx. 10 hrs lang naman ang minimum break in period ng MS di ba?

BTW, nakalibrate na ni levi ang MS speakers ko with my kenwood 9060D AVR last saturday pm. Bumalanse ang bigay ng mga speakers. The new settings are not very far off my settings by ear except for the 907W sub. Swerte ko we live in the same neighborhood. ;D Thanks again Levi :D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline akyatbundok

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Sep 20, 2003 at 09:58 PM »
i checked out the 909 sub at 5th ave.. its a sealed design.  i also asked rey to remove the grill so i can see the cone... and saw a really chubby rubber surround encircling the elegant CPC aluminum cone.  the surround was almost 1-inch thick (hint of a very long throw??).

anyway, i have a feeling that this would be one fast sub because of the sealed design.  the tradeoff may be the relatively high rolloff at 30hz.  if i'm not mistaken the ACI Titan sub which is also a sealed design and considered to be a "musical" sub had a natural rolloff at 30hz but it has a built-in frequency contour adjustment that makes it go down to 20hz.  i wonder if the 909's parametric equalizer can do the same.

the marketing literature talks about having a "digital" amplifier inside.  i didn't see any digital inputs in the user manual; maybe they were referring to something else?
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2003 at 09:59 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Sep 20, 2003 at 11:12 PM »
akyat,

also saw the mother MS sub kanina. very nice looking although didnt have time to test it.

what i auditioned were the MS914 & 906. both sounded great with the harry belafonte live concert cd & fox dvd demo dics 2. was told na pag hindi 5.1 system ang bibilhin the max discount is only 10% sa cash  ???.  tama ba ito akyat & nels?
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #63 on: Sep 20, 2003 at 11:27 PM »
tama ka dyan, i remeber when we were about to give partial payment para mauwi yung 902 at saka 308 sub kasi wala pa yung ms912 ni nels, ibibigay lang nila kami ng 10% discount. so wat we did, binayaran namin ng buo para maavail yung 20 + add'l. 5% off, inuwi yung both center, rear and sub tapos hinintay na lang dumating yung 912.

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Sep 21, 2003 at 08:40 AM »
tama ka dyan, i remeber when we were about to give partial payment para mauwi yung 902 at saka 308 sub kasi wala pa yung ms912 ni nels, ibibigay lang nila kami ng 10% discount. so wat we did, binayaran namin ng buo para maavail yung 20 + add'l. 5% off, inuwi yung both center, rear and sub tapos hinintay na lang dumating yung 912.

oo nga. will see if  i can haggle for them to at least give the 20% discount without the addtl. 5%. mukhang gusto ko yung 914 for my audio set-up.

« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2003 at 08:44 AM by Narayan »
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Sep 22, 2003 at 09:24 AM »

the marketing literature talks about having a "digital" amplifier inside.  i didn't see any digital inputs in the user manual; maybe they were referring to something else?

If i recall right, many subs use the very efficient switching amp configuration, class G if not mistaken, which uses a digital circuit to sense transient peak requirements to deliver the necessary power.  And it eats virtually no curent when idle. No need to turn off.  That's my understanding of a digital amp as used in subs. I don't think it means accepting digital inputs.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Sep 22, 2003 at 10:56 AM »
av_phile, thanks for the info... sounds like a neat feature.  i saw a smaller 10" version that has the same digital amp with parametric equa.. the model is 309w.  its not yet in the MS website; must be a new model.

i listened to the 909w sub with the 912 bookshelf for a few minutes.  too bad i didnt have time, would have been great to audition the sub with the 914.  plus rey didnt seem too familiar with the parametric adjustments yet so we didnt get to adjust the freq. contour.  all settings were at minimum.  my initial impressions: for a 12" it integrates very well with the bookshelf like an 8" sub, meaning its fast enough to keep up with the smaller woofers.  but it didnt seem to go as low as my ported 10" sub.  i have a feeling we should have adjusted the parametric equa.  hmmm... ill go back for a 2nd round.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2003 at 11:16 AM by akyatbundok »

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Oct 02, 2003 at 09:26 PM »
just an update-5th ave.SM megamall branch is moving this sunday to the 6th floor of shangrila. go and avail of their special 20% + 5% special promo on MS 5.1 speaker set-up!
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline james16

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 11:15 AM »
narayan,

thanks for the info.   :D

i was aware of this since yesterday, as iwas talking to wilson of 5th ave.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 03:01 PM »
if i had another chance i would buy my setup again with the bigger sub and avail of that extra 5%... mas generous pala si Wilson pag dating sa discount.  that would be hard to beat for $1k budget.  for some speakers that's just the cost of 1pair, but with MS you get the flagship floorstander, the flagship sub, a very good center and surrounds that could very well be fronts.

btw guys, i opened up my MS902 bookshelf last night coz i was curious about what they mean by "minimalist" crossover network.  i read kasi that nels76's MS912 and av_phile's MS914 have an improved crossover (picture posted in the previous page).  looks like it means 1st-order crossover network.  there are probably 3 parts only, but they are quality parts like in the picture.

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #70 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 03:14 PM »
akyat,

void na warranty mo niyan.
binuksan mo na eh. ;D

ako naman binuksan ko 9060D ko about 2 months ago. I found out that there are 12 transistors inside. pano 'yon? eh 6.1 lang receiver ko.

anyone can explain? (medyo ot nga lang)
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 03:41 PM »
shhhh... atin-atin lang, super ingat naman ako as if nuclear warhead ang hawak ko.  ;D

anyway pre naka isang replacement na ko, siguro naman hindi ko na papalitan yun kahit masira babayaran ko na ang repair para fair naman sa kanila.

btw, kelan ba ang susunod na supertest natin?  week after next pa ako pwede.

sa marantz ko rin 12 lahat.  tingin ko nasa disgression ng designer kung ilan gagamitin.  sa sony amp ko 12 lahat pero 2ch lang sya.  onkyo amp naman 4 lang pero malalaki.  i remember reading norh's le amp2 has 8 power chips per monobloc.
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2003 at 03:45 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 03:42 PM »
akyat,

void na warranty mo niyan.
binuksan mo na eh. ;D

ako naman binuksan ko 9060D ko about 2 months ago. I found out that there are 12 transistors inside. pano 'yon? eh 6.1 lang receiver ko.

anyone can explain? (medyo ot nga lang)

Tama.  12 power transistors, 2 in push-pull mode per channel,  Wala namang power required for the .1 as it needs a powered sub.  

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 03:45 PM »
btw guys, i opened up my MS902 bookshelf last night coz i was curious about what they mean by "minimalist" crossover network.  i read kasi that nels76's MS912 and av_phile's MS914 have an improved crossover (picture posted in the previous page).  looks like it means 1st-order crossover network.  there are probably 3 parts only, but they are quality parts like in the picture.

So what did you discover in opening your ms902?

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 06:00 PM »
So what did you discover in opening your ms902?

as expected, a 1st order crossover network.  i got curious lang... walang magawa i guess.  i read somewhere that an aluminum cone is a very good material because of its rigidity, but at a certain frequency limit it rings like a bell, which is why it is best to employ a higher order rolloff going into that frequency limit.  connecting the dots, i would guess thats why the 91x series with its larger cone has an upgraded crossover network.  funny but i've never experienced that kind of resonance, so i guess the "minimalist" design is ok.

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 06:25 PM »
as expected, a 1st order crossover network.  i got curious lang... walang magawa i guess.  i read somewhere that an aluminum cone is a very good material because of its rigidity, but at a certain frequency limit it rings like a bell, which is why it is best to employ a higher order rolloff going into that frequency limit.  connecting the dots, i would guess thats why the 91x series with its larger cone has an upgraded crossover network.  funny but i've never experienced that kind of resonance, so i guess the "minimalist" design is ok.

The 914 uses a steeper 2nd order crossover and i think it has 2 crossover points as evidenced by the difference in the capacitor ratings and coil sizes in the picture you posted. (They should be identical if there's only 1 crossover point in a 2-way speaker.)  
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2003 at 06:30 PM by av_phile »

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 06:50 PM »
av_phile,

pre, kamusta ang performance nung 914 mo? heard them for a while and mukhang ok naman. medyo tipo ko should i decide to get a pair for my audio set-up. tnx :D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 06:56 PM »
The 914 uses a steeper 2nd order crossover and i think it has 2 crossover points as evidenced by the difference in the capacitor ratings and coil sizes in the picture you posted. (They should be identical if there's only 1 crossover point in a 2-way speaker.)  

yes thats right.  i read a couple of writeups on an audio show in italy and another in germany about ken ishiwata of marantz assisting in the voicing of these speakers, so i got curious.  i wanted to see what changes were made.  he's famous for making CD players and amps that sounds fabulous, sound even more fabulous.
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2003 at 07:04 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 08:08 PM »
av_phile,

pre, kamusta ang performance nung 914 mo? heard them for a while and mukhang ok naman. medyo tipo ko should i decide to get a pair for my audio set-up. tnx :D

At comfortable listening levels. the MS914 exhibit excellent imaging at my listening spot.  This obviates the need to get a center speaker as the vocals are dead on center.  But that applies only when I am the only one listening.  I have to activate the center (non-MS) when others are listening as well (my wife couldnt' care less) as the imaging is lost if you arr not seated precisely at the center.or are further forward.

The clarity and detailing are unmistakable.  More importantly is the attack displayed by many instruments:  you hear the isntant the strings are plucked,  pianos/drums strucked and the wispy sliding of the fingers on the guitar frets.  Instrumental definition is precise.   It has the ability to resolve fine and recessed musical instruments I thought were not there in my previous Wharfdale.  The excellent tweeter account much for this.  

It is not sweet sounding or laidback, like the wharfes. .  It is aggressive in its attack and presence and can make an insturment scome alive with stark reality.  The horns can be frightening in some musical pieces (like in Mussorgsky's "Night On Bald Mountain" and " Pictures At An Exhibition." )  But ofcourse it can be sweet when the source materials says it should.   Such musical dexterity borders on the bright side which I prefer, having heard  real horns, violins and guitars up close.  But what makes the MS914 stand out is, despite its detailed clarity, the detailing is not lost or drowned out in complex musical textures.  The ability of metal drivers to resolve sonoriites of vairous hamonics in an orchestra is simply outstanding and must be heard .  

Vocals are another thing.  Laura Fygi sounds warm and raspy.  Barbra Streisand, really nasal, Frank Sinatra,  and Michael Buble are rendered steely and objective. I have the impression the drivers are brutally frank as it reveals nuances of the voice  the way they are recorded.  It doesn't color the sound making it warm when it is not.  It's just plain being honest.

Charlotte Church and jSarah Brgihtman just makes my body hairs stand on end.  Russel Watson and Placido Domingo are chillingly powerful to make my skin crawl as well. Some say the mark of a good speaker is its ability to render operatic voices with convicing aplomb.   The MS914 didn't  fail me here.  (My previous Diamonds failed beaking up in many Church and Brightman selections.)   Small choirs can be astonishingly real like in the opening funfare in Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana."  But I have to admit, large choirs brought the ms914 to its knees as it failed to deliver the epic sonic impact of Beethoven's 9th Symphony to a heart-stopping climax the way I remember it in a much more expensive Coincident  floorstanders.  Understandably so.  Shouldn't expect the heavens on a slightly above entry-level speakers.  But neither can I expect  mid-priced Sonus Fabers and B&Ws to deliver the thundering might of a 100 strong choir and  100 man orchestra together in full might  to realistic 120 db lSPL evels.

All these good attributes are at a comfortable listening levels  Notching the volume up reveals the driver's limitation as in many senstivie and accurate speakers.  It just can't be driven far the way my wharfe's can.  IBeyond these levels, the drivers' brutal frankness can be an assault to the ears.  Good thing, i don't need to impress my neighbors.  
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2003 at 10:46 AM by av_phile »

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 09:53 PM »
Tama.  12 power transistors, 2 in push-pull mode per channel,  Wala namang power required for the .1 as it needs a powered sub.  

Thanks av_phile. Now I know. I notice malaki din ung tranformer niya.

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 10:22 PM »
Nice Review on the MS 914 av_phile.

Puwedeng pang-magazine. ;)

Nice to hear that you're one happy 914 owner.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Oct 04, 2003 at 01:20 PM »
nice balanced review av_phile, kung sakali 2 na kayo ni narayan ang happy owners ng 914, di ba sir narayan?  audition mo ba ulit o decided ka na?  balak ko mag 2nd round audition sa 909w.

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Oct 04, 2003 at 07:46 PM »
i agree ang galing ng review ni audiophile. para ka nang nagbasa ng audio or what hifi ;D. nakakaingganya talaga.

i plan to bring my musical fidelity pre/power amp sa  5th ave one of these days for a longer and more serious audition and then decide sa sars ;D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline james16

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Oct 04, 2003 at 10:14 PM »
narayan,

naku congrats in advance sa 914!!! Parining kapag nabili ka na ok  :)

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Oct 05, 2003 at 11:59 AM »
narayan, kelan mo balak?  baka kung may free time ako makikirinig na rin ako kung pwede.  mukhang seryosohan na yan sir!
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2003 at 12:00 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Oct 05, 2003 at 12:28 PM »
narayan, kelan mo balak?  baka kung may free time ako makikirinig na rin ako kung pwede.  mukhang seryosohan na yan sir!

plano ko next saturday after lunch siguro. text kita pag sure na ako.

james16

no problemo sa audition pag natuloy ang bili bro. update ko kayo ni nels76 :D

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2003 at 12:29 PM by Narayan »
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline nasa

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Oct 05, 2003 at 03:21 PM »
"Keep it Loud men dont worry she will not shout on you!"

Yeah that is what the sales man said to me when i auditioned MS speakers in Bangkok, Thailand. After i read all the threads here i was finally decided to speak out and raise the flag to join the SARS (Speakers And Receivers Syndrome). After that auditioned i was impressed by the performance of mordaunt short although MS is not included in my list of speakers coz i was looking for B&W & Mission speakers. On the following day (sunday bloody sunday) my friend and i check out bangkok again to find B&W speaker distributor. So, thats it we found that bloody shop after spending 450 baht for taxi. We tested every single detail of B&W speakers (600 series) we are amazed by its performance it really sounds good one thing i noticed performance is directly proportional to its price. After evaluating the technical capability and its performance without sacrificing the economical side we decided to check out MS speakers again. Yes we ended up to MS speakers due to the following reasons (engineering approach);

1. Technical Specs. (Wide Range of Frequency responce  and reliable & revolutionary crossover network circuitry.
2. Workmanship. (Direct from UK, High grade materials)
3. Performance. (Accurate and Detailed)
4. Cost effective. (Just imagine how much you pay for that the same satisfaction from other high end speakers.)

One thing for sure i did it right for the first time. When i came back here in manila i looked for the distributor of MS speakers, mine i brought from 5th avenue makati.

My Set-Up;

1. AV Receiver - H/K AVR5500
2. Power Amp - H/K PA2000
3. DVD - Pioneer DV-555
4. Fronts - MS 908
5. Center - MS 905
6. Surrounds - MS 903S & MS 902
7. Sub - MS 907W
8. Wires & Cables - Quantum and Audio Pro

This machine gave life to my old school CD, after breaking in i can wait to hear again my U2 collection yeah men it really rocks and kicks a lot, I remember the salesman when i tried to bring down the sound level to -10dB she never shout at me still i can hear very clear and accurate how's "The Edge" play the blues, even the slides of his fingers on the strings. Try to give focus on every part your system, you will discover how she produce accurate and detailed sound that the sound engineer wants to convey.

OK Good to Roll your master volume!        

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Oct 05, 2003 at 09:43 PM »
hey nasa,

welcome to MS Club.

Good to know you have it as your speakers.

Wait a little while for it to be broken in and you are ready to indulge yourself.

One more thing. Can you post a picture of your setup So that others may view it?

There is a thread here "Picture of your HT Setup" under the "GENERAL" Section. Post it there.

nels76

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Oct 05, 2003 at 09:50 PM »
I have been to the B&W in bangkok, tulo laway ko but they only have series 2 for the B&W600. I dont know if they have the series 3 now. There are several high end audio shops in that mall but i forgot the name of the mall.

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Oct 05, 2003 at 10:30 PM »
nasa,

welcome to pinoy dvd and to the MS corner. hope to hear more from you as you enjoy your system. you have the same speaker set-up with one of our members-akyatbundok.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2003 at 10:31 PM by Narayan »
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC