Author Topic: DIY Power Cord  (Read 103054 times)

Offline Bogsle

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DIY Power Cord
« on: Jan 04, 2007 at 03:13 AM »
Others may say, "no, it does not make a difference" and would not bother about it, while others may just be curious and give it a try.

Since this forum is a venue for sharing ideas and experiences, this one I would like to share.

BTW, there is also a duplicate posting of this topic in another forum site. Since I also have colleagues in PDVD, I hope there is no problem with that.

I would like to share my own advanture in DIY power cords.

Materials used are:
= 6 pcs guage 14 braider copper cable at 2 meters each. I used two color sets for easy identification of cables during braiding. It can be in any color you want. In this example I used three white cables and three green cables. The thickness of the three cables when combined at the end for each pole is similar to that of a guage 10 stranded cable.

= 1 pc guage 12 braider copper cable. This I used for the center/ground cable. It's the red center cable that you see in the picture.

After braiding:

Then, wrap it in teflon tape:

Then, aluminum foil:

Then, another layer of teflon tape:

And finally, shrinkable tube or heat shrink as it is also called:

Then, add the Wattgate plugs at both ends:

Here is another version that I did. For this one, I managed to acquire something that they call "spagheti tube" from Raon which I used for the outer jacket instead of heat shrink. The length of this power cable is only one meter.

For the ground wire in the center I used two guage 12 stranded coper cable twisted together, and then wraped it in teflon tape before doing the guage 14 wire braid around it.

For the IEC connector, I used Transparent brand which I soldered using WBT silver leads. I prefer the Wattgate brand which is much easier to use, because it uses screw locks, no need to solder. Plus Wattgate is cheaper.

Of course, I test the poles at each end of the cable to ensure continuity and that there is no grounding whatsoever. Quality Testing muna syempre before using it!

Detailed Cost of DIY Power cable:

For a 2-meter power cord: (These are estimates of what I can remember. But I'm sure the actual cost of materials are not very far off)

6 meters white guage 14 strander copper cable = 150.00
6 meters green guage 14 strander copper cable = 150.00
2 meter red guage 12 strander copper cable = 50.00
2 meter heat shrink = 170.00
2 Wattgate plugs = 1,900.00
Aluminum foil = 58.00 (1 roll)
Telfol Tape = 60.00 (6 rolls)

Total = 2,538.00 (Pesos)

Is the combined cost and effort worth it. YES!

I'm making another power cable which I can lend to anyone who is willing and interested in testing/auditioning it. This is so that we can get another opinion of it. (Then maybe sell the idea, hehehe)   ;)

The shorter power cord is used on my integrated tube amp and the longer one with the heat shrink jacket is used on my CDP.

Immediate impression were:

1. Clearer sound of instruments (more realistic it seems) and well defined space between them, like piano and violin.
2. Vocals had more presence.
3. There was definitely more bass response.
4. I'm able to turn the volume knob a little less than before to hear more of the music.

CDs used for auditioning:

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2007 at 04:34 AM by Bogsle »

Offline markmlists

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: DIY Power Cord
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2007 at 06:28 PM »
Great post. Galing.
What is that yellow cover, heat shrink tubes din? Ganda. Also, may I ask the price and source of your IEC male plug (transparent brand- not included in the cost breakdown). Congratulations!!!

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2007 at 01:13 AM »
Great post. Galing.
What is that yellow cover, heat shrink tubes din? Ganda. Also, may I ask the price and source of your IEC male plug (transparent brand- not included in the cost breakdown). Congratulations!!!

Hi. Thank you very much.

The yellow cover is the spagheti tube I bought from Raon. Unfortunately it's the last piece na malaki ang diameter and yellow pa, hehehe. Pinagtyagaan ko na.

Although there are still a few others in stock pero smaller diameter sizes na lang. It's sold in 1 yard cuts.

Ang source ko ng plugs is KPY555....Jerome, calling Jerome, baka may customer ka dito, hehehe.

Mura lang, 950 yata or 975 a piece. Basta wala pang 1k. Yung Transparent IEC nabili ko sa Listening in Style before and 1,500 pesoses ang benta nila. Di na yata sila nag bebenta nyan ngayon eh. Dunno, but just ask.

Thanks ulit.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
BOGSLE'S DIY Power Cord atbp
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2007 at 08:13 AM »
bro. EXCELENTE ! (hindi yung hamon ah) keep it up & more diy project posts!

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Only Taxpayer's should Vote !
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2007 at 02:03 PM »
I also made something like this... but short cut.  hehe.  I bought from a member in WS a 6 meter Belden cable 8303 i think it is, 12 gage at 3.5 meters.   I needed a long power cord coz of placement of my outlet.  Cost me a total of 3,700 pesos including the wattgate plug and shurter IEC from KPYM.

Hirap maghanap ng expandable sleeve sa raon.  And yes, I saw those spaghetti tubes sa raon.  Instead of spagheti tubes, I used Mica tubes from Wilcon supply at 20 pesos per meter.  Its aesthetics are also good , especially that it is color black.  Malakas sa kuryente hairdryer kaya i used my handy lighter for my shrink tubes on the plug and iec side.  hehe.

I agree, with its effects you mentioned above.  Definitely worth it !
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2007 at 02:06 PM by Le_Stat »
Only tax payer's should vote !

Offline markmlists

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 08:08 AM »
Hi. Thank you very much.

The yellow cover is the spagheti tube I bought from Raon. Unfortunately it's the last piece na malaki ang diameter and yellow pa, hehehe. Pinagtyagaan ko na.

Although there are still a few others in stock pero smaller diameter sizes na lang. It's sold in 1 yard cuts.

Ang source ko ng plugs is KPY555....Jerome, calling Jerome, baka may customer ka dito, hehehe.

Mura lang, 950 yata or 975 a piece. Basta wala pang 1k. Yung Transparent IEC nabili ko sa Listening in Style before and 1,500 pesoses ang benta nila. Di na yata sila nag bebenta nyan ngayon eh. Dunno, but just ask.

Thanks ulit.

I see. Nakagawa ako before when a good member swapped his iec connector with my hubbel. Now I have extra hubbels plugs and na-inspire ako gumawa ulit sa post mo. wala lang murang source ng iec male connectors. yup wala na sa LIS yung transparent brand.  spag tubing pala yun. ang ganda.

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 09:28 AM »
Just wanted to ask, the red wire is the return or ground right? How does this configuration compare with normal braiding technique I (like the one that is used to braid girls hair - some men with long hair also do this)? The reason I ask is because line 1 and line 2 are braided against each other but not with ground.

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 10:47 AM »
great job! ;D 

now you should consider rewiring your household lines also, most likely they will be of gauge 14 THHN copper cables, and if the contractor did not cheat, then you will have gauge 12.

on more thing, i buy cables from autosupply shops carrying japanese made cables, i distrust locally made cables as they are way undersized, so that you may think you have gauge 14 but in reality they could be something else, so source of cables is also important.
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 11:27 AM »
I see. Nakagawa ako before when a good member swapped his iec connector with my hubbel. Now I have extra hubbels plugs and na-inspire ako gumawa ulit sa post mo. wala lang murang source ng iec male connectors. yup wala na sa LIS yung transparent brand.  spag tubing pala yun. ang ganda.

Bro, contact KPY555 for cheap power plugs.

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 12:16 PM »
Just wanted to ask, the red wire is the return or ground right? How does this configuration compare with normal braiding technique I (like the one that is used to braid girls hair - some men with long hair also do this)? The reason I ask is because line 1 and line 2 are braided against each other but not with ground.

Yes, the red wire is the ground set in the center of the 6 braided/meshed wire. My inspiration for the braiding is the "Shunyata braid" done on their Hydra series of power cords. See pics below:

However, Shunyata braids are very, very difficult to do. So I decided to do a braid type which is similar to the "copper-mesh shielding" around coaxial cables. Yung parang "banig" around a central core cable or wire.

The position of the ground wire is similar to how it is done here (see pic below) on the the Shunyata Taipan cable. However, the Taipan cable uses only 4 wires around a central ground wire, while my cable uses 6 wires.

Yes, I confirm that the ground wire is not part of the braid.

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2007 at 12:51 PM by Bogsle »

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 12:49 PM »
great job! ;D 

now you should consider rewiring your household lines also, most likely they will be of gauge 14 THHN copper cables, and if the contractor did not cheat, then you will have gauge 12.

on more thing, i buy cables from autosupply shops carrying japanese made cables, i distrust locally made cables as they are way undersized, so that you may think you have gauge 14 but in reality they could be something else, so source of cables is also important.

Thanks TonyT for the suggestion. That would be a good thing to do for house hold power lines, but maybe very costly for me.

However, I did creat a separate power line connected to a dedicated 30 amp circuit breaker for my HT/Audio power souce. This dedicted line uses guage 10 stranded copper cables that outputs to 20 amp power outlets (yung 3 slots na outlets na ginagamit for airconditioners).

I got the idea from one thread in PDVD (I think), which made a lot of sense. Kasi nga naman, mag i-invest ako on making heavy guage, high current, high capacity, heavily shielded and protected power cables, and then yung power line source ko sa bahay uses guage 14 stranded copper cable connected to a 15 amp circuit breaker which outputs to 10 amp power outlets. Sayang lang ang pagod and defeats the purpose of creating or even purchasing good power cables, di ba?

I even went to the extent of re-wiring my voltage regulator to use heavy guage stranded coper wires!

Yes, I did consider also the brand of cables to be used for this project. Well actually, at the beginning I used only Philflex brand na sabi ng uncle ko, who is an architect, is a very good local brand for copper wires. But then I also inquired from the hardware store vendor if they sell any US or Japanese brands. They gave me PhelpDodge, which is a US product, they said. Of couse it was slightly more expensive. This is what I used on my current power cable projects.

Once again, thanks for your inputs.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 03:32 PM »
bogsle bro. pwedeng sideline yan braiding skills mo. dami rasta bobmarleys around now ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 04:22 PM »
Bogsle.

Musta na? Anyway, just want you to know that you can ask your nearest local handicraft manufacturing facility regarding the Shunyata braid. That's easy for them to do. My wife knows how to do it but when I told her that she has to braid 2 meters to make approx 1.5 meters of braided power cord she backed out.  ;D

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2007 at 01:29 AM »
Bogsle.

Musta na? Anyway, just want you to know that you can ask your nearest local handicraft manufacturing facility regarding the Shunyata braid. That's easy for them to do. My wife knows how to do it but when I told her that she has to braid 2 meters to make approx 1.5 meters of braided power cord she backed out.  ;D

Hmmm....nice suggestion, very nice trully.

Binigyan mo ko ng solution!

Kaya ba nila yung sa Shunyata Python:

I guess I have to ask.

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2007 at 01:36 AM »
bogsle bro. pwedeng sideline yan braiding skills mo. dami rasta bobmarleys around now ;D  ;D  ;D

Pweeeede. Why not? ;D

Pro, siguro dapat marinig nyo muna yung end result.

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2007 at 01:36 AM by Bogsle »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2007 at 05:11 AM »
Hmmm....nice suggestion, very nice trully.

Binigyan mo ko ng solution!

Kaya ba nila yung sa Shunyata Python:

I guess I have to ask.

I'm sure they can do that easy.  ;) Although I think they may not have any knowledge about the Shunyata since that is not the true braid name for that type of braid. But if you can show them some pics such as those that you posted, they'll say "ah ganyan ba gusto mo iho? madali lang yan". Well, at least that's what my wife's aunt told me, she's experienced with such braids and makes them for basket handles for Bicol handicrafts.

On a side note; it has been proven that braiding wires reduces induction and at the same time increases capacitance. This is a very welcome phenomenon in power cords for it can reject unwanted noises from getting into our systems. Keep it up dude.  ;)

8)

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2007 at 07:34 AM »
questions.. new to these braid thing.. do you just get 6  wires and braid and connect the 2 to the wall and component.. what happens to the the other 4 wires ? are they grounded or there left "unused"

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2007 at 09:11 AM »
I'm sure they can do that easy.  ;) Although I think they may not have any knowledge about the Shunyata since that is not the true braid name for that type of braid. But if you can show them some pics such as those that you posted, they'll say "ah ganyan ba gusto mo iho? madali lang yan". Well, at least that's what my wife's aunt told me, she's experienced with such braids and makes them for basket handles for Bicol handicrafts.

On a side note; it has been proven that braiding wires reduces induction and at the same time increases capacitance. This is a very welcome phenomenon in power cords for it can reject unwanted noises from getting into our systems. Keep it up dude.  ;)

8)

I believe you meant inductance. The reduction in inductance is due to the fact that the magnetic flux leakage of the + and - wires cancel each other.

I once tried to do the venhaus braiding technique on the speaker cables. Took me about two weeks to complete about 1 1/2 meters for one channel. After that, I didn't try again. If anyone would do the braiding for me I might consider this route once more. Anyway, I just settled for UBYTE-2. But much later I removed it and went 2 wire pair. Much less hassle for me (kasi kapag nadudumihan iyung mga cables hirap maglinis ... hehehe).
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2007 at 11:52 AM by rascal101 »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2007 at 11:19 AM »
Phelps Dodge is it, i wanted to mention the brand, but i did not want to sound like a salesman for them..hehehe...hard to go wrong with those cables. ;D

That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2007 at 02:56 PM »
Just wondering, If a line conditioner and a power cord has the same job, what more can a good power cord do when you already have a line conditioner?
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2007 at 02:59 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2007 at 03:11 PM »
I believe you meant inductance. The reduction in inductance is due to the fact that the magnetic flux leakage of the + and - wires cancel each other.

I once tried to do the venhaus braiding technique on the speaker cables. Took me about two weeks to complete about 1 1/2 meters for one channel. After that, I didn't try again. If anyone would do the braiding for me I might consider this route once more. Anyway, I just settled for UBYTE-2. But much later I removed it and went 2 wire pair. Much less hassle for me (kasi kapag nadudumihan iyung mga cables hirap maglinis ... hehehe).

oo nga naman, what was I thinking?!? induction?  mabuti na din yun kaysa seduction. ;D ;D ;D

sensya na peeps, wala pa ako tulog nun, it was meant to be inductance and not induction like rascal said.  :-*

thanks

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2007 at 03:16 PM by JojoD818 »

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 05:37 AM »
Can you post the connection at the end.. thanks

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 10:58 AM »
Just wondering, If a line conditioner and a power cord has the same job, what more can a good power cord do when you already have a line conditioner?

I changed the 18 awg power cord of my line conditioner to 12awg belden + wattgate plugs.  Without being a techie, I had to reduce the volume controls of my amp from the previous position of 10'o clock to 9'o clock when I changed the power cord.  There was more power produced by my amp to the speaker.  Bass tightened up, and more details came out.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 11:02 AM »
I changed the 18 awg power cord of my line conditioner to 12awg belden + wattgate plugs.  Without being a techie, I had to reduce the volume controls of my amp from the previous position of 10'o clock to 9'o clock when I changed the power cord.  There was more power produced by my amp to the speaker.  Bass tightened up, and more details came out.

if you say so, okey... ;D

DIY power cords really do make a difference, not for any scientific or technical reasons, but because you made it on your own, by your own hands,  it is what you may call, your "own flesh and blood". this feeling is unknown to non-diy'ers. ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2007 at 11:09 AM by TonyT »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 11:12 AM »
jojo, i will choose seduction over induction anytime ;D

but to set things straight, the magnetic field formed by the + and - wires cancels each other.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 11:38 AM »

Thanks!

So this means that you only need to change the power cord of your line conditioner and the rest of the stuff you plug into it does not need a modified power cord anymore, right?

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 12:56 PM »
jojo, i will choose seduction over induction anytime ;D

but to set things straight, the magnetic field formed by the + and - wires cancels each other.

If the magnetic field is canceled how will there be current flow?

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 07:09 PM »
Thanks!

So this means that you only need to change the power cord of your line conditioner and the rest of the stuff you plug into it does not need a modified power cord anymore, right?

As of now the sound got better with me changing the power cord of the line conditioner.  Since it is not that expensive naman, I might try changing the power cord of my integrated amp. Am curious if it would give some improvement. 

Whether it be DIY with this spec or getting a branded one, the important thing is if there would be an audible improvement.  If there is none, then good thing it is the cost of DIY.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2007 at 09:32 PM by Le_Stat »

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 08:24 PM »
questions.. new to these braid thing.. do you just get 6  wires and braid and connect the 2 to the wall and component.. what happens to the the other 4 wires ? are they grounded or there left "unused"

I use all six wires, 3 for each pole. Only one wire, in the center, is the ground.

All the wires are used.

I'll show to you the pictures next time I make a new cable.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2007 at 08:25 PM by Bogsle »

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 08:27 PM »

8)

Thanks bro, I'll try you advice.