Author Topic: Top Chef  (Read 4964 times)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Top Chef
« on: Jan 21, 2007 at 08:18 AM »
One really hot topic among reality show fans was this week's episode of Top Chef 2. Apparently, after finishing their elimination challenge for that day and giddy from the excitement of likely landing in the top four, four of the five chef contestants started drinking and suddenly had the crazy idea of shaving their heads, but then they also decided that they should also shave the head of the fifth contestant -- the guy who was being picked on by the rest of the contestants the whole season. Cliff Crooks, one of the four drunk contestants, then tackled the sleeping Marcel Vigneron and put him in a half nelson. The disoriented and terrified Marcel suffered from rug burns before being able to extricate himself. Needless to say, Crooks was disqualified from the contest for "assaulting" a fellow contestant. This season has been quite interesting because the contestant that was chosen to be the "villain" eventually got public sympathy over the course of the season because he was continually battered with verbal abuse and derision from the so called good guys. Two episodes left before the show determines who will be Top Chef for season 2.
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2016 at 06:26 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Mole (2008)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2008 at 12:10 PM »
Off-topic:

How do you find Top Chef this season, Indie? I caught the early episodes of the first season but got bored and didn't bother finishing. Knew from the start, Harold (was it?) was gonna win. Totally skipped season 2. Having heard an Asian winning season 3 got me hooked again. Been keeping up with the latest season because of Fil-Am chef, Dale. Sayang talaga, 'di siya nakapasok sa final 4. He deserved to be there more than Lisa or Antonia.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2008 at 03:59 PM »
I've always loved talent-related reality competitions (as attested by my Project Runway DVD collection, hehe). You should've seen Season 2, it was the most explosive in terms of personalities, and when you see it you'll know the wrong guy won. You can see the growing pains of Season 1 in terms of production quality. Season 2 is really the better place to watch it (but season one has the sommelier guy who was a great reality show personality!). Hung was a deserving winner for Season 3 and it really regained the show's credibility. I think season 4 is decent but not as good as the third season.

You're right Dale should've been in the final four or at least the final 3. That guy kicks as s! I've actually contacted a friend who produces her cooking show and suggested that she brings Dale here.

Dapat siguro may talent-related reality show thread tayo, what with Design Star, Shear Genius and TWO seasons of Project Runway being shown this year.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2008 at 11:11 AM »
Yeah, I remember Stephen the sommelier (was it?) Buti na lang, I started again with season 3. I don't think I could finish season 2 knowing the result.

I believe you created a thread for that already. Can't wait for you to get hooked with The Mole!

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Re: Other Reality Shows
« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2008 at 01:01 PM »
Found the thread, Indie.

Just finished the finale of Top Chef season 4. I was really afraid the wrong person could've won with all the glowing reviews. What a relief the better chef throughout the season won instead!

I think Tom Colicchio agrees with your assessment of the first three seasons of Top Chef.

... a Q&A I just read with Colicchio on Salon.com in which he was asked which Top Chef winners he'd recruit to open a restaurant with. ''Probably Harold or Hung,'' he said. ''I think Ilan — he's a good cook, just a little immature, and he has a little way to go. If I were going to raise money and put someone in charge of the kitchen, I'd want someone with a little gravity or weight to them.'' I think he's completely on the money about Ilan. That immaturity usually lies with the folks who repel constructive criticism instead of absorb it, and Ilan strikes me as being a bit of a know-it-all, too self-loving to learn...

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Other Reality Shows
« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2008 at 03:33 PM »
And just to show how immature the guy is, he unwittingly spoiled who will be the winner a month before the final episode was shown. How did he do it? He resigned from his job and then bought an expensive watch. I think Marcel was the more deserving winner but then they didn't want the a sshole to win the second season despite being subject to an ill-attempted hazing by three other contestants. I think Marcel even said that he couldn't believe that a guy who just throws around paprika will beat him.

Thanks for finding this bro! I totally forgot about this. Dito na lang tayo magdiscuss nung ibang shows hehe. Hope you'll also watch the other talent reality shows.

I'm into the second episode of The Mole and I love it! hehe.

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Other Reality Shows: Currently discussing - TOP CHEF
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 01:43 PM »
Ilan, didnt deserve to win top chef 2. watched that season more than 7 times over na, and im even proud to say I can cook most of the dishes they cooked (thanks to bravotv.com)

Sam Talbot was cheated, I think there was some serious flaw in the way they judged the last couple of challenges due to the close competition; and which was evident in the way they judged season 3 and 4. clearly they didnt want to make the same mistake.

Hung is a great young chef, stephanie just needs more refinement but is a well balanced cook. I think Dale also should have made it to the top 4. I was surprised Lisa was able to make it that far.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 09:36 AM »
I, on the other hand, think that Marcel should've won Season 2. He brought in the bolder ideas and the more interesting flavor combinations. I'd rather overlook some of the execution problems in favor of the imagination. Marcel said it best, "Who would've thought I'd get beaten by a guy who just uses paprika."

Hung is without a doubt a worthy winner.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:06 AM »
Indie,

Have you been watching Top Chef lately? I think I prefer the latest judge, Toby Young over Gail. His quips certainly brought the funny. Judges' table could use more of those. Although the latest batch of finalists were underwhelming compared to last season. I believe there's another Filipino in the mix, Eugene, who cooked banana lumpia in the latest episode. I still think Dale is a better chef though.

Too bad he got eliminated.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 10:37 AM »
Yup, been watching it bro. :) Still one of the best reality competition shows on air. Eugene's Hawaiian-Filipino. I think Dale's the more talented chef too. I'm actually urging my culinary show host friend to bring Dale in as part of her publicity. But she's still thinking about it.

Offline RDyENT

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • What's up doc?
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 01:32 PM »
Indie,

Have you been watching Top Chef lately? I think I prefer the latest judge, Toby Young over Gail. His quips certainly brought the funny. Judges' table could use more of those. Although the latest batch of finalists were underwhelming compared to last season. I believe there's another Filipino in the mix, Eugene, who cooked banana lumpia in the latest episode. I still think Dale is a better chef though.

Too bad he got eliminated.

According to this site, Leah Cohen has Filipino blood too.

Leah Cohen currently works as a Sous Chef at Centro Vinoteca in New York City. Apart from the year and a half that she worked at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Italy, she has spent her entire life in New York and comes from a Filipino, Russian-Romanian Jewish background. Her favorite chef is Marco Pierre White and she counts salt, olive oil, butter, garlic and any pork product as her must-have ingredients. She loves Italian, Filipino and Thai cuisine, but homemade pasta is what she enjoys making the most.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 01:41 PM »
Oh cool. And doubly cool that her favorite is the enfant terrible himself Chef White!

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 02:34 PM »
Without even knowing about what RDyENT just posted, I've been rooting for her to reach the finals. I can also foresee one if not both of the Europeans to make the cut.

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2009 at 01:59 PM »
Go Fabio!

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2009 at 02:45 PM »
I'm rooting for Stefan. :)

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Top Chef All-Stars
« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2011 at 01:04 PM »
The 8th season of Top Chef is their all-stars edition, gathering the most memorable contestants from the 7 previous seasons (plus some questionable ones) who almost made it, including my favorite chefs Carla Hall, Casey Thompson, Richard Blais, Antonia Lofaso, Fabio Viviani, and Filipino-American chef Dale Talde. I would've wanted to see Leah Cohen again and Kevin Gillespie (who declined the invitation), but this all-star cast seems perfect as it is.

This reality competition series has slowly evolved into such a finely crafted show, with grueling challenges that can test the mettle of any professional chef. This All-Stars season is the best, culminating in the awesome episode 12, "Give Me Your Huddled Masses" where the judges had a really tough time during Judges Table.

Top Chef All-Stars is currently being aired Thursday nights at 9:00pm on Second Avenue.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Top Chef All-Stars
« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2011 at 05:58 PM »
Kevin's the guy with the pig tattoo right? They should've invited Stefan back. That guy was robbed. He should've won his season over Hosea.

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 22, 2011 at 10:46 PM »
Kevin's the guy with the pig tattoo right? They should've invited Stefan back. That guy was robbed. He should've won his season over Hosea.

Yup, that's Kevin. Didn't like Hosea as well...they already had 3 from Season 5: Carla, Fabio, and ugh, Jamie. Fabio already had a European accent, maybe they didn't want another one, so that was probably why Stefan didn't make the cut. Dunno why Jamie was included, but I guess they needed people like her to create drama and tension--people like Marcel, who I actually preferred to win over that annoying Ilan.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 22, 2011 at 11:38 PM »
Ilan, another winner who didn't deserve it. He and Hosea are the two guys who have put a blemish on Top Chef. Even Tom Colicchio acknowledged that among the winners Ilan is the one he wouldn't want to work with. Marcel should've one that season as well.

Have you seen Marcel's show?

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM »
Ilan, another winner who didn't deserve it. He and Hosea are the two guys who have put a blemish on Top Chef. Even Tom Colicchio acknowledged that among the winners Ilan is the one he wouldn't want to work with.

Exactly. Too bad that among the Top Chef contestants, it had to be Ilan who visited Manila 2 years ago with Dale Talde. Someone should invite Richard Blais here. Carla Hall and Antonia Lofaso as well, since they more or less specialize in homey food; they'd probably love the cuisine here.

Have you seen Marcel's show?

I've only seen the previews; he seems to be doing okay. I've seen his appearances on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and he was good. Thing with Marcel is that he does well when he's solo; when he's in team leader mode he feels all high & mighty and gets all arrogant. Also, being drunk turns him into a douchebag, like the time he berated Dale on the rooftop--good thing Dale kept his anger management in check, otherwise he'd probably be splattered on the sidewalk afterwards, LOL.
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2011 at 09:48 PM by AshKetchum »

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Top Chef: Just Desserts
« Reply #20 on: Sep 03, 2011 at 11:46 AM »
The third spin-off of the Top Chef series, Top Chef: Just Desserts focuses on the more creative and finicky pastry chefs. Some of them are also batsh!t crazy, particularly one contestant in Season 1, who probably had the most spectacular meltdown in Top Chef history, initially sobbing after a Quickfire Challenge (he had to be consoled by a judge), then proceeding to yell and scream at everyone after that, resulting in a complete breakdown days later and removal from the show (he was deemed as "medically unfit" to continue).  ;D

Season 1 of Top Chef: Just Desserts is currently being aired on AXN Beyond, Wednesday & Thursday nights.

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Top Chef: Just Desserts
« Reply #21 on: Sep 03, 2011 at 01:02 PM »
Matagal na ito, right? Was this even picked up for a second season?

And just like Top Chef Masters, this one is a snoozer.

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 03, 2011 at 02:33 PM »
Matagal na ito, right? Was this even picked up for a second season?

1st season was aired september 2010 in the usa; 2nd season just started last week.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 03, 2011 at 04:13 PM »
Second season's two episodes old already.

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 03, 2011 at 06:55 PM »
Aw. So that means the next season of Top Chef won't be airing anytime soon.  :-\

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 03, 2011 at 07:08 PM »
The new Top Chef's still being filmed. :)

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Sep 04, 2011 at 10:42 AM »
After watching that Quickfire Challenge about creating the best ice cream sundae, all of a sudden I'm craving for one, LOL...any recommendations where they have the best sundaes here in Metro Manila, preferably the Tomas Morato/Timog area or Greenhills? The closest I can come up with are the gelato cakes of Amici's Cara Mia Gelateria, which remain a favorite of mine.  ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 04, 2011 at 05:08 PM »
Tomas Morato/Timog area ka pala. We're kind of neighbors. :)

Well, kung quick fix lang then Iceberg's.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Sep 07, 2011 at 12:21 PM »
I just started watching the first episode of Season 2. I was pleasantly surprised that Sally, the head of pastries for the Wolfgang Puck company, is Filipino!

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 07, 2011 at 02:48 PM »
Just saw the Season 1 finale, and it was...kinda sad, because an annoying little sh!t won, closely followed by a douchebag and Wednesday Addams (if Wednesday grew up and became neurotic). Most of the contestants here are prime candidates for being permanent residents of psychiatric wards; they're just loathsome. The only two contestants I liked had "eric" in their names, plus there's also Malika, who begged to be eliminated because she couldn't handle it (probably being around these psychos was just too much).

Much as I hated Morgan, it's too bad we didn't get to see him punch that execrable disco diva Zac. Morgan did elbow Heather (who viewers appropriately call "B!tch-Face Heather", heh) on her cheek, though it was an accident---or was it?  ;D

Tomas Morato/Timog area ka pala. We're kind of neighbors. :)

Well, kung quick fix lang then Iceberg's.

Aha! thanks...will go to Iceberg's one of these days.  8)

I just started watching the first episode of Season 2. I was pleasantly surprised that Sally, the head of pastries for the Wolfgang Puck company, is Filipino!

I'm going to start watching Season 2 this week.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2011 at 02:50 PM by AshKetchum »