Author Topic: Recommend a Projector  (Read 66253 times)

Offline madrigal

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recommend a Projector
« Reply #30 on: Nov 06, 2002 at 07:51 AM »
Hi revskie.
   I'm up to the challenge,...........  Get that Epson and let's compare it with my projector and other projectors
like a panasonic, nec owned by other pinoydvd members......
   Let's consider picture quality and Price.     Mine cost less than P100,000.   lets see if a P180,000-250,000
projector can beat my sanyo.      
   Txt me at 0919-594-1655

Offline revskie

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #31 on: Nov 06, 2002 at 10:48 AM »
Hey, Madrigal!

Thanks, ha.

Let's set the shoot-out this weekend kung pwede.  Saturday, November 9.  Do you know of a place where we can do it?

OK sana kung dalawang screens side by side then we feed two projectors a video signal from the same source and we let them do their thing and see.

Anybody else here interested?  Ok sana kung may DLP projector na makasama like the NEC LT150 or the Infocus ScreenPlay 110.

Revskie 8)

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #32 on: Nov 06, 2002 at 11:50 AM »
I am still deciding what to buy at this point. Can I join you guys so that I know what to expect .....

Offline madrigal

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 06:31 AM »
Hello revski:
   I think that double screen demo is great but I think it would be difficult to find
a place that can hold 2 projector screens.  
   My place is ok for a demo.  It is a dedicated HT room with a 110" screen.  Located near
SM city north edsa Q.C.   I'm free 7:00p.m.  onwards...

BTW:  If you haven't bought the Epson yet then how can you bring it at my place?

Offline revskie

• Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 09:21 AM »
Madrigal,

The schedule is OK.  

I just paid a downpayment at this point.  They gave me a service/demo unit.  I can retract my order anytime if I am not happy with it.

Jambam,

You sure are welcome to join.  But better ask Madrigal first as we are going to use his place for the shoot out.

See you guys.

Revskie

Offline madrigal

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 10:42 PM »
To anyone out there with an lcd or dpl projector and is curious as to how it compares to other
brands and technology, try to go to my place.  

To Jambam:
    Sure,  go here.  
Revski:
    What is the specs of the epson?  an xga? what lumens?  how much?

Call or txt me at 0919-594-1655.  Nov. 9 is ok with me.

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 11:08 PM »
thanks guys for accomodating me,  madrigal i will text you for the address if i can make it.

Offline revskie

• Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Nov 08, 2002 at 09:33 AM »
Madrigal,

Here is the review of the Epson TW100 at Projector Central.  All details are there.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_tw100.htm

Revskie 8)

Offline stradale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • It's better to burn out than to fade away.
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Nov 08, 2002 at 10:08 AM »
I recently had the opportunity to audition several brands of multi-media projectors for my company given a budget of 300T.

I really liked the In-Focus models especially one that was as small as a landline telephone. Among the brands I tested (Sanyo, Optoma, Panasonic, Epson etc), the In-Focus models appeared to be best in design and build quality.  But I eventually opted for the Optoma EZPro 755, a 2000 lumens, XGA DLP due to its value for the money, features, and aftersales support.  We got it for 245T.

The thing is I'd buy a big top-end TV or even a plasma one before I'd buy any of these projectors for HT use.  Why?  The projector bulb.  These 2000 lumens bulbs will last you around 2000 hours, the last half of which hindi na ganoon ka bright (based on my experience with a bulky old In-Focus model). Easy enough to replace the bulb, but for 30T a pop, huwag na lang.

Sure you can buy the cheaper 1200 or 1600 lumens models but hindi masyadong sharp ang picture and it gets worse the more you use it.

Offline revskie

• Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Nov 08, 2002 at 10:46 AM »
Stradale,

I respect your opinion on the matter.

Let me just point out that there are a newer bunch of digital LCD and DLP projectors SPECIFICALLY designed for HT use.

They are far different from the usual "corporate presentation-use" projectors in that they are less bright and are designed for controlled lighting applications of HT.  The bulbs evetually last longer because of this variation in their design.  Resolution, color accuracy and contrast ratios have improved leaps and bounds.

IMO, nothing beats front projection in getting that ültimate home thater feeling"!  They are the utlimate space savers (as opposed to big screen TVs) and gives you more value for money (as oppose to plasmas), plus, you measure your video screen in FEET!

Cheers!

Revskie

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Nov 08, 2002 at 12:57 PM »
I agree w/ revskie, I currently own a 50"Toshiba RPTV w/c has served me for 3 years , but is defective at the moment, it's shear size makes it difficult to get service.

A projector will be cheaper and project a bigger picture , and eat up a lot less space . I had to sacrifice my audio setup when I got the toshiba, due to lack of space in the bedroom.

Once I get to chose my projector I will bring back my audio setup.....

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Nov 09, 2002 at 02:46 PM »
looks like i will miss your shootout , thanks for the hospitality ,

I hope you will share your agreed findings in the forum

Cheers !!!!

Offline Arnel E.

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Nov 18, 2002 at 07:26 AM »
Something that can be bought for less than $500 or P25K.  DaLite electric types, the cheapest ones without remote, already cost at least this much, so I wonder....

Thanks heaps.
HT: Kodi on HTPC -> Marantz 6008 -> B&W MT | V: Sony W904A tv, Epson 8350 pj | controlled by Harmony

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 19, 2002 at 01:36 AM »
welcome to the forum Arnel Enero! :)

i'm merging this thread with help me choose a projector. TY

bently
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 19, 2002 at 11:12 PM »
I bought myself the sanyo sw-20a, and watched "the world is not enough". The family just loves it and they really liked it better than the toshiba 50" RPTV...

Thanks everyone for the tip

Offline madrigal

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 20, 2002 at 07:20 AM »
Hi Jambam:
   Glad to know you got a Sanyo Projector.   Ganda ng picture quality di ba? compared with the other brands.
   I am an advocate of lcd projectors now.    All dvd, HT audio lovers should buy a Projector, if not, sayang lang ang dvd collection and HT setup nyo.

I also own a RPTV but only a 46" sony.  Parang sobrang liit nito and every TV is see as compared with the 120" lcd projector.    

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 20, 2002 at 03:09 PM »
Hi Madrigal,

Thanks, I actually looked at the other sanyo clones too , just trying to get a better deal. I didn't have much chance to compare w/ other brands. Anyway I ended up w/ a dealer  w/c gave me a 2 yr warranty and service unit clause in case they need time to repair it.

I would suggest that for people that can afford an extra P35K to get the xga version , so that there is less screendoor effect for bigger sizes of screen.  

Offline madrigal

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 28, 2002 at 08:04 PM »
Hi jambam:
    the xga is great.    Too bad, i just got the svga.  Anyway for that 35T spent more for it, i'll just buy a
spare bulb.  I only used about 12 dvd views total or about 24 hours and now i see a little deterioration in
film brightness.   It is a little dim now as compared when it was new 3 months ago.
   Now, i seldom use it since i am scared it may become dimmer from being overused.  Maybe psychological lang ito
in me.  Ever since I bought it, people say that the bulb is very expensive.  Now i am paranoid of this bulb being busted.

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 29, 2002 at 02:50 PM »
Madrigal,

I think it is just you getting used to it , but the brigthness is the same, it  won't get that bad w/ 35 hrs only. Also a spare bulb is only 20K.

Use it and enjoy , as that is what you paid for.....

Offline tuff_u_gong

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Dec 16, 2002 at 02:46 PM »
have a couple of questions:

do RPTVs have bulbs too? if they do, what are their expected lifespans? how do they compare with LCD projector bulbs in terms of durability?

are bulbs "upgradeable"? let's say i have an old EIKI xga projector which can project at 700 lumens. can i just buy a new bulb model that will allow me to project at 1000 lumens or more?

thanks guys!

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Dec 16, 2002 at 04:36 PM »
Tuff, Generally RPTV mostly have CRT's , so no bulb.

on the subject of upgrading bulbs, i don't think so. but you could try the service center for your Eiki , and check if the higher wattage bulb will fit. If you can have total light control that would actually be the most beneficial for you.... rgds

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Dec 18, 2002 at 05:55 AM »
Tuff, Generally RPTV mostly have CRT's , so no bulb.

on the subject of upgrading bulbs, i don't think so. but you could try the service center for your Eiki , and check if the higher wattage bulb will fit. If you can have total light control that would actually be the most beneficial for you.... rgds

thanks jambam!

yup, our curtains still can't keep all the lights out. will blackout cloth do the job? i'm currently using this same cloth as my projector screen.

by the way, i agree with you guys: a projector provides a totally different HT experience. i really feel like i'm making most of my 5.1 (hopefully 6.1 soon!) setup.

i'll check it out with EIKI's distributors.

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Dec 19, 2002 at 09:27 AM »
tuff,  Blackout cloth should really help, if you ever get around to buying some can you advise where you got it

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Dec 19, 2002 at 03:51 PM »
tuff,  Blackout cloth should really help, if you ever get around to buying some can you advise where you got it

You can find them at most Shell Canvass branches. there's a branch in glorietta. if you're from pasig, they have a branch in MC Home Depot (which is where i got the cloth for my projector screen). in cubao, there's one near the kamias/kamuning corner EDSA branch. for those down south, i think there's one along the hi-way. if you're going up north, its to your right. i believe its at along the service road between the alabang ang sucat exits.

if you're using it for a screen, make sure that you avoid folding the cloth to prevent creases. i think mine is 5'' x 6'' and it cost me a little over P500.

Off-topic: btw, i think you're glad i decided against buying your ADCOM amps. now that your projector has provided you more space, your amps should be back in business soon.

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Dec 20, 2002 at 08:35 AM »
tuff ok i know shell canvas , do they call it as black out cloth or something else.

If you are looking for a new projector I would suggest waiting for the new infocus X1 when it becomes locally available . It seems like a new value leader...

P.S. I bought a Yamaha RVX-1200 and have found it sufficient to drive my thiels so the adcoms are still in the closet

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Dec 27, 2002 at 12:34 AM »
tuff ok i know shell canvas , do they call it as black out cloth or something else.

yup! that's how they call it:black out cloth. it's supposed to serve as lining for curtains.

Offline revskie

• Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 12:03 AM »
Sanyo, through MicroData (a local Sanyo distributor), recently released in the country the Sanyo PLV-Z1.  I think its going for P93K.

It got rave reviews at ProjectorCentral.com and was specifically designed for Home Theater use.

You might want to check that out.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #57 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 02:22 AM »
What are your thoughts on the InFocus ScreenPlay Series? Is it any good or are there better projectors?

Any idea on how much a projector bulb costs and it's lifespan?

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 11:11 AM »
I've seen demos of both the ScreenPlay 110 and the 7200. Was not impressed with the 110. For one thing its resolution is "only" 848x480 or 800x600. The DVD I watched looked skewed and the unit was noisy. Sayang, as its price is lower than a 57 in. RPTV's (at 100+k).

The 7200 was impressive. Resolution is 1280 x 720 so it can handle high-def signals. The HD tape and DVD (scaled to 720p) that I saw looked fabulous. There was some random flickering, maybe due to the specific unit I saw.

Choices at the same price would be the Sharp XV-Z9000U and Marantz VP12S2, like the InFocus they are all DLP. At a lower price, the Sony VPL-VW11HT, an LCD projector, would be worth looking into. Have only seen the InFocus, but the others have rave reviews.

At that price, the choice would be between a projector and a 50-in plasma. Which one would you guys pick?

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #59 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 02:38 PM »
I've seen demos of both the ScreenPlay 110 and the 7200. Was not impressed with the 110. For one thing its resolution is "only" 848x480 or 800x600. The DVD I watched looked skewed and the unit was noisy. Sayang, as its price is lower than a 57 in. RPTV's (at 100+k).

The 7200 was impressive. Resolution is 1280 x 720 so it can handle high-def signals. The HD tape and DVD (scaled to 720p) that I saw looked fabulous. There was some random flickering, maybe due to the specific unit I saw.

Choices at the same price would be the Sharp XV-Z9000U and Marantz VP12S2, like the InFocus they are all DLP. At a lower price, the Sony VPL-VW11HT, an LCD projector, would be worth looking into. Have only seen the InFocus, but the others have rave reviews.

At that price, the choice would be between a projector and a 50-in plasma. Which one would you guys pick?
The LS110 I saw costs around P214,000 while the LS7200's around P470,000. How much did you see yours?

Yung lamp? Any idea as to how long it'll last?