Author Topic: Recommend a Projector  (Read 66294 times)

Offline cyberaudionut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recommend a Projector
« Reply #60 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 02:57 PM »
I've seen demos of both the ScreenPlay 110 and the 7200. Was not impressed with the 110. For one thing its resolution is "only" 848x480 or 800x600. The DVD I watched looked skewed and the unit was noisy. Sayang, as its price is lower than a 57 in. RPTV's (at 100+k).

The 7200 was impressive. Resolution is 1280 x 720 so it can handle high-def signals. The HD tape and DVD (scaled to 720p) that I saw looked fabulous. There was some random flickering, maybe due to the specific unit I saw.

Choices at the same price would be the Sharp XV-Z9000U and Marantz VP12S2, like the InFocus they are all DLP. At a lower price, the Sony VPL-VW11HT, an LCD projector, would be worth looking into. Have only seen the InFocus, but the others have rave reviews.

At that price, the choice would be between a projector and a 50-in plasma. Which one would you guys pick?

I've seen the Infocus, Sharp, Marantz and a couple of other DLP projectors (Runco and SIM Seleco).  The worst was the Infocus and the best was the Sharp XV-Z9000U.

50-in plasma vs. front projector --> A projector can give you the "theater-like" experience due to the size limitation of plasmas.  However, projectors are very sensitive to light.  Your room has to be really dark to realize their full potential.  If you have a dedicated HT and can control light, then go for a DLP.  

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 06:21 PM »
The LS110 I saw costs around P214,000 while the LS7200's around P470,000. How much did you see yours?

Yung lamp? Any idea as to how long it'll last?
Your price for the 7200 is lower than I remember. Lamp is rated at 2000 hours.

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 06:27 PM »
Thanks for the reviews, cyberaudionut, and welcome to PinoyDVD!

I will have a dedicated HT, and I hear that the newest DLP projectors can be enjoyed even with some light on. Of course, the cost is still the major issue.  :)

What the projectors (and plasmas) offer is thin screen that doesn't get in the way of acoustics, like a big RPTV can, as I plan to use the system for music at least half of the time.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2003 at 06:28 PM by slowhand »

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #63 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 08:21 PM »
From a cost point of view it looks like plasmas come out tops vs. DLP based projectors. The lamp lifespan's too short at around 1 year (6hr/day) vs. 13 years (6hr/day)...

Then again you'd probably buy a new display after 8 years...

Offline Hamann

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 09:25 PM »
With the emergence of the X1 it looks like the price difference with a plasma TV would be a lot farther apart. I was about to buy the Sanyo/Eiki projector but then I also heard about the Infocus X1.

It looks like it has been receiving fantastic reviews, with the only bad comment about it is standard among DLP proj., which is seeing rainbows. Although not all owners have seen this in their units. It looks like some units are more affected than others.

Their local distributor here will be launching it around end of January. I'll be taking a look at it before I decide on my final purchase.

Reviews:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196119

Offline cyberaudionut

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 11:04 PM »
Thanks for the reviews, cyberaudionut, and welcome to PinoyDVD!

I will have a dedicated HT, and I hear that the newest DLP projectors can be enjoyed even with some light on. Of course, the cost is still the major issue.  :)

What the projectors (and plasmas) offer is thin screen that doesn't get in the way of acoustics, like a big RPTV can, as I plan to use the system for music at least half of the time.

Thanks, DVD Addict.  My brother, technogeek, sort of introduced me to this forum.

Not quite true about the newer DLPs and light...The smallest amount of light still messes up the picture.  Like I said, I tried them all (in the past 6 months) before I bought one.

Are you building your HT from scratch or will you be using an existing room?

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #66 on: Jan 03, 2003 at 03:07 AM »
With the emergence of the X1 it looks like the price difference with a plasma TV would be a lot farther apart. I was about to buy the Sanyo/Eiki projector but then I also heard about the Infocus X1.

It looks like it has been receiving fantastic reviews, with the only bad comment about it is standard among DLP proj., which is seeing rainbows. Although not all owners have seen this in their units. It looks like some units are more affected than others.

Their local distributor here will be launching it around end of January. I'll be taking a look at it before I decide on my final purchase.

Reviews:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196119
Any idea as to the price? I've seen em being sold online for $1,449.00

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jan 03, 2003 at 09:32 AM »
[I tried them all (in the past 6 months) before I bought one.

From scratch :)

Where did you audition the PJs?

Offline cyberaudionut

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jan 03, 2003 at 12:41 PM »
[I tried them all (in the past 6 months) before I bought one.

From scratch :)

Where did you audition the PJs?

Auditioned some at home, some at the 2002 Home Entertainment show in NY, the rest at dealer showrooms in the NY/NJ area.

Am about to finish mine which was built from scratch and can offer various tips/techniques on design, construction, equipment, set-up and calibration if you're interested. Pics are under General->pictures of your HT set-up->page 6 (technogeek's sister).

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jan 03, 2003 at 06:36 PM »
Am about to finish mine which was built from scratch and can offer various tips/techniques on design, construction, equipment, set-up and calibration if you're interested. Pics are under General->pictures of your HT set-up->page 6 (technogeek's sister).

Wow! That is one sweet room! Congrats!
I'm more audio-centric, but I'll take you up on your offer. I'll PM you (a lot of) questions soon if you don't mind.

Offline saling-pusa

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jan 16, 2003 at 09:49 AM »
I bought myself the sanyo sw-20a, and watched "the world is not enough". The family just loves it and they really liked it better than the toshiba 50" RPTV...

Magkano yung Sanyo SW 20 sa Pilipinas? Oks ba ito? 1,000 lumens nito at contrast ay 350:1 Sa Tokyo on-line ay worth Y160,000 at P0.45 bale almost P80K.. mabigat ba ito??

Offline saling-pusa

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jan 16, 2003 at 01:36 PM »
Any review for Epson EMP-505 and/or 715?

EMP505: 1,100 ANSI Lumens, 1.677 million pixels, contrast ratio 400:1, 800X600X3, SXGA, XGA, SVGA, VGA, 2.7 kgs.

How much is this unit in the Philippines? Equivalent model in Japan Epson ELP-505 has a catalogue price of Y498,000 but the lowest on-line Tokyo price is Y146,773 plus 5% tax (thats 70% off the MRSP). Roughly equivalent to P70K...
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2003 at 03:30 PM by saling-pusa »

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #72 on: Jan 16, 2003 at 03:12 PM »
the sw20a was P99K  w/ dvd player + screen. I am sure you can get a similar deal...

Offline saling-pusa

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jan 16, 2003 at 03:31 PM »
the sw20a was P99K  w/ dvd player + screen. I am sure you can get a similar deal...
Where did you get this deal? in any Home Theatre store?

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jan 16, 2003 at 10:11 PM »
microdata , the distributor

Offline Hamann

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jan 19, 2003 at 02:03 AM »
What kind of screen is that? You can also get it as the Eiki LC-SM3 or the Boxlight equivalent. They are all the same. The Eiki sells for around 85k.

I'm still waiting to be able to demo the X1. Aside from this, I'm also considering the Sony VPL-VW11HT. If I don't find any of these satisfactory, then I may consider the Sanyo/Eiki

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jan 19, 2003 at 09:45 AM »
I'm also considering the Sony VPL-VW11HT.

Hi Hamann. Where is this available?

Offline Hamann

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jan 19, 2003 at 09:13 PM »
Hong Kong, unfortunately. You can get the Sony VPL-VW10HT for even less than the Sanyo. You should check that out too.

Offline saling-pusa

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jan 24, 2003 at 05:16 PM »
Ang mga standard weight ng LCD projector ay 2.7-3 Kgs.... mabigat ba ito ?? Alam kong mas mabigat ito kesa sa laptop... ??? :o

Offline Hamann

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jan 24, 2003 at 07:17 PM »
Yup thats about right. Some are even heavier.

Offline Hamann

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Feb 04, 2003 at 09:42 PM »
I just auditioned the Sanyo Z1 and this afternoon and I'm speechless!!!!! I never expected a projector that cheap to look THAT GOOD. Pictures were sharp, colors were rich and saturated. I even viewed that projector with only an S video cable, against an ordinary presentation screen and it was not even calibrated. We just turned it on right out of the box.

I'm so glad I waited this long before I chose one. I almost bought the Sanyo Sw20a which I thought was already ok, but I heard the X1 was coming out. My friend has it in the US and because he has compared the Z1 and the X1 and cannot find any differences between the two excellent image qualities of the projectors. If you were to find a fault in each one, it would be that the Z1 still has that screendoor, but I have to say it is only noticeable when you do get close to the screen. With the DLP X1 it is the rainbows that annoy a number of people, although some can live with it.

At least now I know what projector I'm going to buy. With a price of just around 100k this seems like the steal of the year. The picture quality is so good it can beat so many rear-projection TVs you swing at it. In fact, the picture does not look like a projectors picture quality anymore. We even tested it with lighting and the results were excellent. Plus of course, viewing with a 100" screen  ;D

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Feb 04, 2003 at 11:15 PM »
I also wanted the sanyo z1 , but could not wait. so bought the sw20a late november.

I have finally built my HTPC w/c drives my projector and also the toshiba RPTV... I just move it between the 2.. And indeed there is a noticable improvement in picture quality

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 01:08 AM »
I just auditioned the Sanyo Z1 and this afternoon and I'm speechless!!!!! I never expected a projector that cheap to look THAT GOOD. Pictures were sharp, colors were rich and saturated. I even viewed that projector with only an S video cable, against an ordinary presentation screen and it was not even calibrated. We just turned it on right out of the box.

I'm so glad I waited this long before I chose one. I almost bought the Sanyo Sw20a which I thought was already ok, but I heard the X1 was coming out. My friend has it in the US and because he has compared the Z1 and the X1 and cannot find any differences between the two excellent image qualities of the projectors. If you were to find a fault in each one, it would be that the Z1 still has that screendoor, but I have to say it is only noticeable when you do get close to the screen. With the DLP X1 it is the rainbows that annoy a number of people, although some can live with it.

At least now I know what projector I'm going to buy. With a price of just around 100k this seems like the steal of the year. The picture quality is so good it can beat so many rear-projection TVs you swing at it. In fact, the picture does not look like a projectors picture quality anymore. We even tested it with lighting and the results were excellent. Plus of course, viewing with a 100" screen  ;D

where did you auditioned it? are you  in the phils btw? is the X1 still not available in asia-pacific?

the x1 is getting great reviews from casual users and professionals alike, and is selling like pancakes.....ive had it ordered like 2 weeks already and im still waiting for the stocks to arrive, im already starting to look for alternatives and im geared towards the z1 too,

i believe the x1 is cheaper than the z1 right?

Offline Hamann

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Feb 07, 2003 at 09:00 PM »
The home theater in Salcedo village :)
I've been waiting for the X1 too but it's currently out of stock everywhere. What made up my mind is the shootouts in avsforum where people couldnt really tell them much apart. Having read that I jumped at the Z1. If they were that close then I probably won't feel that bad if the X1 IS better.

Plus I wouldnt know how I'd react to the rainbows if I did see them.

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Feb 08, 2003 at 03:43 PM »
The home theater in Salcedo village :)
I've been waiting for the X1 too but it's currently out of stock everywhere. What made up my mind is the shootouts in avsforum where people couldnt really tell them much apart. Having read that I jumped at the Z1. If they were that close then I probably won't feel that bad if the X1 IS better.

Plus I wouldnt know how I'd react to the rainbows if I did see them.

i see, so kay sonny ka pala kumuha, how much were u able to get it? (kung confi pm mo na lang s akin :-)

oo nga, since there is no clear winner between the two, id stick with the x1 since it is cheaper,i almost changed my mind buti na lang tumawag yung supplier and he confirmed na tuesday daw dadating yung x1

and besides, ive been using dlp pjs in the past and ive never seen rainbows (yet) though i get minor headaches when the settings are too bright, but since in film mode, its a lot darker than in presentation mode, i think id be ok with it...if not, i'll just return the unit and get the z1 probably

enjoy your pj and post your feedback here :-)

Offline neo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Feb 15, 2003 at 01:43 AM »
Hamann/kimera,

I'm also interested in the Z1 and the X1...I wasn't aware that they were locally available na pala. I've been dying to audition these projectors and see how they compare to the NEC LT150 which I have.  

The LT150 is a decent machine and performs quite well.  I partner it with an iScan so the images I get are quite great, particularly in a light controlled environment.  I use a 80"x44" DIY screen and watching well mastered DVDs on it simply blows me away.  Fortunately, I don't see the rainbows.

My only complaints are the LT150's slight fan noise and light leakage.  I'd like to see how the Z1 and X1 handle these problems.

Hamann, how much is Sonny T. selling the Z1?  MicroData and ImaTech also sell Sanyo projectors but their websites don't show the Z1 yet. May Z1 na ba sila?

Kimera, who's the local supplier of the X1 and how much are they selling it for?  Doesn't ATI carry the X1?

Cheers  8)

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2003 at 01:48 AM by neo »

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Feb 17, 2003 at 05:51 AM »

Kimera, who's the local supplier of the X1 and how much are they selling it for?  Doesn't ATI carry the X1?

Cheers  8)

official distributor is ATI yup, but the last time i talked to them is nde pa daw available, just give them a call to know when the units will be arriving

im quite impressed with the X1, great colors and impressive details, that's all i can say coz i really dont know much about the technical side of it so i cant give a thorough review...simply put, im satisfied, maybe bcoz its my first pj heheheh

i tried stand alone DVD player then my HTPC, looks like i need to configure my HTPC more coz i only get a minor improvement in terms of video quality

my only problem is ive got a small room, its a dedicated HT room (4m x 2.7m x 3.2m ) so pag 8ft yung projection, medyo masakit sa ulo so i had to settle with smaller screens, at 6ft diagonal oks na sya,kaso bitin hehehe...sayang, looks like i need to convince the wifey to convert the living room to HT room and vice versa

noise is tolerable, mas maingay pa nga yung PC ko eh but i dont mind coz malakas naman yung audio di ba?

Offline everglide

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Feb 23, 2003 at 09:58 PM »
i have a question lang. yun bang X1 is 16:9 or compatible lang ? i know that the sanyo Z1 is 16:9 native.  because i'm choosing between the two.
thanks!

Offline neo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Feb 24, 2003 at 06:58 PM »
Hi everglide,

Welcome to PinoyDVD :D.

The In Focus X1 is a standard SVGA resolution (800x600)projector.   To watch anamorphic DVDs in full resolution, you'll have to switch to the widescreen mode.  

You are correct, the Sanyo Z1 is a native 16:9 widescreen LCD projector which uses a 960 x 540 resolution format.  

Cheers  8)

Offline everglide

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Feb 24, 2003 at 11:05 PM »
thanks neo for the warm welcome!
so meaning no more black bars on the top and bottom when you switch to widescreen mode (X1)?
thanks!