Author Topic: HD DVD/Blu-ray launching in the Phils.  (Read 14270 times)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: HD DVD/Blu-ray launching in the Phils.
« Reply #30 on: Jul 13, 2007 at 03:10 PM »
65k???   shucks!!  I will be more interested in the pricing of the Blu-ray titles....

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jul 13, 2007 at 08:24 PM »
Wow 65k for a player that will be obsolete when BD-J comes around last quarter 2007.  ;D

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #32 on: Jul 14, 2007 at 12:04 AM »
Yes I also saw the Sony BDP-S1E  player on sale now at P65,000!  :o It's the same model that was released in Europe & identical to the initial 1st generation launch in the USA in Jan 2006.

I would consider this an obsolete model na but selling it at such a sky high price in our local market...and no BD-J??  :-\

Cost now in Amazon is only $679.99 or about P32,600. Plus shipping would total to less than P40,000.  :-X

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2007 at 12:07 AM by pchin »

Offline animated

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jul 15, 2007 at 09:27 PM »
didn't they update the firmware so that it supports BD-J? but then that is moot considering the PS3 is half the price (and has better functionality).
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2007 at 09:29 PM by animated »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jul 16, 2007 at 08:08 AM »
BD-J is not just a firmware issue.  It's also a hardware issue.  You need two independent video streaming processors for interactive picture-in-picture capability - something HD DVD players have from day one.  No amount of firmware update will give you BD-J capability if there's no second video processor in the player.
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2007 at 08:09 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jul 16, 2007 at 08:16 AM »
BD-J is not just a firmware issue.  It's also a hardware issue.  You need two independent video streaming processors for interactive picture-in-picture capability - something HD DVD players have from day one.  No amount of firmware update will give you BD-J capability if there's no second video processor in the player.

oh, i see. i was under the impression that it was only software driven since both Pirates of the Caribbean movies had BD-J features and they both work on the BDP-S1E albeit it works pretty slow according to some owners. but now i know better.  :)
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2007 at 08:16 AM by animated »

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jul 16, 2007 at 08:43 AM »
oh, i see. i was under the impression that it was only software driven since both Pirates of the Caribbean movies had BD-J features and they both work on the BDP-S1E albeit it works pretty slow according to some owners. but now i know better.  :)

Just to clear things up a bit about Blu-Ray Disc Java (BD-J): BD-J is a whole set of features like interactive menus and in-movie games, not just Picture-in-Picture (PiP).  While the PiP feature is not supported by current BD players, other BD-J features (like the game in Pirates of the Carribean) do work.  The PS3 also has the hardware for PiP and online features and just needs an update to enable it (should be by around October when the deadline for BD-J 1.1/PiP functionality arrives)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jul 16, 2007 at 12:35 PM »
(should be by around October when the deadline for BD-J 1.1/PiP functionality arrives)

The BD-J 1.1 is what I was more interested with.  It essentially will render ALL BD players obsolete when this comes out in October.  And while the PS3 MIGHT be able to support it with a firmware upgrade, that remains to be seen.   ;D

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #38 on: Jul 25, 2007 at 07:20 PM »
Just saw at Astro Festival, Mall that they're now offering BD's on a per order basis, at P1,950.

Offline monolith

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 01, 2007 at 08:03 AM »
Astrovision at Festival Mall is selling BD BY ORDER.  They do not have stock in the store,  But at least it is getting closer in the marketplace.

Offline rexdc

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Aug 01, 2007 at 09:33 PM »
called up astrovision main office, sabi nila Astro Podium or was it powerplant (hehe i forgot) have BD stocks on sale