Author Topic: 2007 Emmy Awards  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
2007 Emmy Awards
« on: Jul 04, 2007 at 06:45 PM »
Final nominations for this year's Emmys will be announced on July 19. However, Gold Derby reports that these are the shows that have garnered the most votes for best drama and comedy series from a polling of members of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. The shows are being screened by judges this weekend at the Beverly Hilton Hotel and the academy's North Hollywood headquarters. Judges must view all 10 contenders in one category and rank them against each other. To determine the final 5 nominees, accountants then use the same voting method used on Dancing with the Stars — combining judges' scores equally on a 50/50 basis with results of the original popular vote. The voting procedure is new.

TOP 10 DRAMA SERIES FINALISTS
(In parentheses is the sample episode viewed by judges)
Boston Legal ("Angel of Death")
Dexter ("Born Free")
Friday Night Lights (Pilot)
Grey's Anatomy ("From A Whisper to A Scream")
Heroes ("Genesis") House ("Half-wit")
Lost ("Through the Looking Glass")
Rome ("De Patre Vostro")
The Sopranos ("Soprano Home Movies")
24 ("Day 6: 6 a.m. - 7 a.m.")

TOP 10 COMEDY SERIES FINALISTS
(In parentheses is the sample episode viewed by judges)
Desperate Housewives ("It Takes Two")
Entourage ("One Day in the Valley")
Extras ("Daniel Radcliffe")
My Name is Earl ("Robbed a Stoner Blind")
The Office ("The Coup")
Scrubs ("My Musical")
30 Rock ("Hard Ball")
Two and a Half Men ("Apologies For the Frivolity")
Ugly Betty (Pilot)
Weeds ("Cooking with Jesus")

Here's also the partial list of actors who made the top 10

BEST COMEDY ACTOR
Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"
Steve Carell, "The Office"
Charlie Sheen, "Two and a Half Men"
Ricky Gervais, "Extras"
Jason Lee, "My Name Is Earl"
Tony Shalhoub, "Monk"

BEST COMEDY ACTRESS
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "New Adventures of Old Christine"
America Ferrera, "Ugly Betty"
Teri Hatcher, "Desperate Housewives"
Felicity Huffman, "Desperate Housewives"
Mary-Louise Parker, "Weeds"
Tina Fey, "30 Rock"

BEST DRAMA ACTOR
James Gandolfini, "Sopranos"
Michael C. Hall, "Dexter"
Eddie Izzard, "The Riches"
Hugh Laurie, "House"
Denis Leary, "Rescue Me"
Kiefer Sutherland, "24"

BEST DRAMA ACTRESS
Patricia Arquette, "Medium"
Minni Driver, "The Riches"
Edie Falco, "Sopranos"
Ellen Pompeo, "Grey's Anatomy"
Kyra Sedgwick, "The Closer"

BEST SUPPORTING DRAMA ACTOR
Masi Oka, "Heroes"
Michael Imperioli, "The Sopranos"

BEST SUPPORTING DRAMA ACTRESS
Katherine Heigl, "Grey's Anatomy"
Sandra Oh, "Grey's Anatomy"
CCH Pounder, "The Shield"
Chandra Wilson, "Grey's Anatomy"

BEST SUPPORTING COMEDY ACTOR
Jon Cryer, "Two and a Half Men"
Kevin Dillon, "Entourage"
John Krasinski, "The Office"
Jeremy Piven, "Entourage"
Rainn Wilson, "The Office"

BEST SUPPORTING COMEDY ACTRESS
Elizabeth Perkins, "Weeds"
Jamie Pressley, "My Name Is Earl"
Vanessa Williams, "Ugly Betty"
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2007 at 04:19 PM by Reuven Malter »
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
2007 Emmy Awards
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2007 at 01:32 PM »
Where's How I Met Your Mother? for Top comedy?  Where's Neil Patrick Harris for Best Comedy Actor or Best Supporting Comedy Actor?

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
2007 Emmy Awards
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2007 at 02:24 PM »
I hope Tina Fey makes it to the final nominations list.

Odd that Jon Cryer is being considered as a possible nominee for Best Supporting Comedy Actor while co-star Charlie Sheen is a potential Best Comedy Actor nominee--aren't they supposed to be on equal billing for Two and a Half Men?
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2007 at 02:48 PM by AshKetchum »

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
2007 Emmy Awards
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2007 at 02:40 PM »
Is it an advantage or a disadvantage for Desperate Housewives and Entourage to be treated as comedies?  Same with Grey's Anatomy, which I also consider a dramedy?  Perhaps it would be better to create an entirely new category for these type of shows, the more, the merrier.  ;)  Or better yet, just take out those two categories, join them into one, and let them at it.  ;D

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
2007 Emmy Awards
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2007 at 12:52 AM »
From Yahoo!

The Sopranos' gets 15 Emmy nods

By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer 1 hour, 6 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - "The Sopranos," the mob series that went to its grave with a shockingly inconclusive finale, found a happy ending Thursday with 15 Emmy nominations including best drama.

The made-for-TV movie "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" led all nominees with 17 bids.

James Gandolfini, who played the emotionally conflicted mob boss on HBO's "The Sopranos," and Edie Falco, who played his wife, both received top acting nominations.

Other best-drama series were "Boston Legal," "Grey's Anatomy," "House" and freshman sci-fi sensation "Heroes."

"The Sopranos" emerged with the most nominations for a series, followed by "Ugly Betty" with 11 and, with 10 each, sexy medical drama "Grey's Anatomy" and critical favorite "30 Rock."

"Grey's Anatomy," which came through a difficult year in which star Isaiah Washington was fired after twice using an anti-gay slur, wasn't hurt when it came to Emmy bids. Besides best drama series, there were nominations for four supporting cast members and two guest actors.

While Washington was overlooked, co-star T.R. Knight, who said that Washington had directed the slur at him, did receive a supporting actor nod.

The miniseries "The Starter Wife" also was a top nominee with 10 bids.

The freshman hit, "Ugly Betty," based on a Colombian telenovela, made it into the ranks of best comedy series nominees. It's joined by "Entourage," "30 Rock," "Two and a Half Men" and last year's winner in the category, "The Office."

"Ugly Betty" star America Ferrera was recognized with a nod for her starring role.

"Entourage," about the adventures of a young movie star and his loyal rat pack, was embraced despite mocking industry stereotypes.

"It may seem sometimes like we're making fun of Hollywood," said creator Doug Ellin, "but really we're just trying to take a comedic look at how things are done here, because this is how it really is for people sometimes."

In the reality-competition categories, the leading nominee with eight bids was "Dancing With the Stars," followed by "American Idol" with seven.

Joining Gandolfini among lead drama series actor nominees were Hugh Laurie of "House," Denis Leary of "Rescue Me," James Spader of "Boston Legal" and last year's winner Kiefer Sutherland of "24." Last year's drama series winner was "24" but it was snubbed this time.

Falco will compete with Patricia Arquette of "Medium," Minnie Driver of "The Riches," Sally Field of "Brothers & Sisters," Kyra Sedgwick of "The Closer" and last year's winner, Mariska Hargitay of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit."

Sedgwick got the news immediately. She and Jon Cryer helped announce bids for the 59th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards in a brief ceremony at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences' Leonard H. Goldenson Theatre.

"She's all ruffled. She didn't know that was coming!" Cryer said of Sedgwick, who flubbed her lines after announcing her own nomination.

Cryer himself was nominated for comedy series supporting actor for "Two and a Half Men." He was unruffled, having had a nomination previously.

"Last year I was totally overwhelmed. I was in my underwear on the sofa at home," he said.

"Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee," adapted from Dee Brown's nonfiction best-seller, received nominations for best made-for-TV movie, writing and for support acting. The film chronicles the Sioux victory over Custer at Little Big Horn and events leading up to the assassination of Sitting Bull and the Sioux massacre at Wounded Knee Creek in 1890.

Executive producer Dick Wolf said its clutch of nominations was a validation of a very difficult project.

"Anybody who says it's not nice or it doesn't mean anything to get this many nominations, it's the ultimate sour grapes because it sure feels great," he said.

"Friday Night Lights," the critically acclaimed but low-rated high school football drama that needed an Emmy boost, failed to gain major nominations.

"The Sopranos," which premiered in January 1999 and had an on-and-off cable run, capped its final episode this year with an ambiguous ending that left fans in the dark about the fate of lead character Tony Soprano, last seen sitting in a diner with his wife and children. A suddenly black screen suggested sudden violence — or not.

The series' other nominees included Michael Imperioli, who received a bid for best supporting dramatic actor for his role as the ill-fated Christopher. Aida Turturro, who played Tony's tough sister Janice, and Lorraine Bracco, who co-starred as his uneasy psychiatrist Dr. Melfi, were nominated for supporting actress.

Along with Ferrera in the lead comedy actress category were Felicity Huffman of "Desperate Housewives," Tina Fey of "30 Rock," Mary-Louise Parker of "Weeds" and last year's winner, Julia Louis-Dreyfus of "The New Adventures of Old Christine."

Their actor counterparts included last year's winner, Tony Shalhoub of "Monk," Ricky Gervais of "Extras," Steve Carell of "The Office," Charlie Sheen of "Two and a Half Men" and Alec Baldwin of "30 Rock."

Like "Grey's" Washington, Baldwin drew unflattering attention this year, in his case because of a leaked recording of an angry telephone call to his daughter, who is caught in a legal dispute with ex-wife Kim Basinger.

Some categories had six nominees this year rather than the usual five.

One six-nominee category was best supporting actress in a drama series, with Turturro and Bracco joined by Katherine Heigl, Chandra Wilson and Sandra Oh of "Grey's Anatomy" and Rachel Griffiths of "Brothers & Sisters."

Heigl has also broken out as a movie star with her role in the hit comedy "Knocked Up."

Altogether, 463 nominations were announced. HBO was the most recognized with 86 bids, followed by ABC with 70, NBC with 69, CBS with 44, Fox with 28, and PBS with 24.

The three-hour Emmy Awards ceremony will be broadcast Sept. 16 by Fox from the Shrine Auditorium.

Other Emmy honors, including those for technical achievement and guest actors and actresses in series, will be given at the creative arts ceremony on Sept. 8.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2007 at 01:02 AM by JdelaCruz »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
2007 Emmy Awards
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2007 at 10:56 AM »
I really hope Jenna Fischer wins. Good luck Pam!  :)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
2007 Emmy Awards
« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2007 at 12:20 PM »
I really hope Jenna Fischer wins. Good luck Pam!  :)

I <3 Pam.

She has all of the qualities I look for in a woman. :)

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Re: 2007 Emmy Awards
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 04:42 AM »
Haven't caught any promo yet on Studio 23 or Star World. Are these channels going to broadcast the awards like before?

By the way, Creative Emmys have already been announced... Some of the winners include Spike Lee, Justin Timberlake, and for guest performances:

Elaine Stritch was named best guest actress in a comedy for playing Alec Baldwin's mother on the NBC sitcom 30 Rock. Leslie Caron, who got her big break in An American in Paris with Gene Kelly 50 years ago, was named best guest actress in a drama for her role as an elderly rape victim in Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

John Goodman won best guest actor in a drama series for Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip while Stanley Tucci won for guesting in a comedy series for Monk's previous season's premiere.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2007 at 05:42 AM by Reuven Malter »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 04:06 PM »
Haven't caught any promo yet on Studio 23 or Star World. Are these channels going to broadcast the awards like before?

Yeah, I saw a "live 8AM broadcast" commercial on Studio 23. The replay isn't until Saturday yata, though. So catch it live or record it to avoid an almost week-long delay.

Or torrent it...  ;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2007 at 06:25 AM »
Yay! I'm home then. Thanks, Hankey!

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 12:40 PM »
Congrats to Terry O'Quinn for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama and Conan O'Brien to winning Outstanding Writing in a Variety/Music/Comedy Program. Two of the wins I'm most happy about this year.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2007 at 09:35 AM »
Elaine Stritch was named best guest actress in a comedy for playing Alec Baldwin's mother on the NBC sitcom 30 Rock.

As usual, the academy gives someone an award purely because they're old, and not because they deserve it. Her performance on this episode was memorable only because she was Elaine Stritch. It was nothing to write home about.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...