Author Topic: My blu-ray experience, after going neutral  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2378
My blu-ray experience, after going neutral
« on: Aug 18, 2007 at 08:40 PM »
ok first of all, I have to say im not a pro hddvd here and not bashing any format (but so far I prefer hddvd). I will just share to you guys my experience with bd, I really need some suggestions or help. Ok first of all I havent updated to 1.9, I bought the 2k sports football and it just automatically update my system to 1.82 ata. However I dont think the firmware upgrade is the problem here regarding the PQ im experiencing. By the way i have the samsung 32 inch R71

Ok let me start to say I have watched several blu-ray and to me it is very disappointing compared to hddvd. I really dont know what is going on here, but to me its really not impressive. Even my cousin who came to check out my ps3 said parang the ps3 made the picture look softer. I always use face, hair and scenery to see the sharpness and differences..Anyway I am just saying talaga the hddvd for me looks better and I only have an addon. Picture on my addon is really sharper. Recently I have watched Dantes peak, blazing saddles, the 2nd matrix on my addon and its no contest. Could this be my ps3 setting? or just bec of the title differences between the two formats..Im getting frustrated so far.

Anyway so far I watched several bd titles and to me The Patriot looks the best, awesome, like hddvds pq..Pirates 1 is also pretty good but I think Patriot looks the best.
2. Enemy of the state - ok lang.. not amazing (when I say amazing im talking about like a 360 degree diff from dvd. you just go wow..)
3. Invincible - ok lang din... not amazing
4. Infernal affairs - grabe forget it walang ka detail detail
5. B13 - ok ...not amazing
6. hellboy is good, pretty sharp
7. Pirates 2 - Im really confused about this, im really disappointed, Im looking for the 5 star and I dont see it. Maybe bec most of the scenes are dark but on the daytime scenes, the faces..jungle scenes or whatever are just not there in sharpness compared to some of my hddvd titles that are top tier in hidefdigest.. .

Compared to the hddvd titles like Fast and the furious 1 and 2, Mummy, king kong (comparing the jungle to pirates 2 to me king kong looks way better), Dantes peak, Matrix and I can keep going.. these hddvd  titles are way better in terms of pq. Maybe its just the bd titles I got, I really cant figure this out bec just by invincible, and pirates 2 these 2 titles should already be awesome..However I dont see the wow in these..maybe its he way the directors want it to look I dont know..

Anyway if anybody can help me (or experiencing the same thing) Pls let me know, I would truly appreciate it. Again Im not destroying or saying bad about bd. I just ordered more titles in bd today, so in no way im giving up on bd ( Hey guys check out amazon, they have a price slash today, imagine kung fu hustle, big fish, memento and some others only 14.95, italian job, black hawk down, tears of the sun at 17.95, and a lot lot more.)

Ok any help will be appreciated..Thanks

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: My blu-ray experience, after going neutral
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2007 at 09:19 PM »
Firstly I'd like to congrat Raymond for taking the bold decision to be format Neutral & thanks for sharing your BD experience with us all.  ;)

I'm sure in time those who own those mentioned BD movies wil give their feedbacks. As for Pirate 2, I recall it has a 5-star PQ review right?  :-\ So hopefuly, it's the setting & the concerns can be corrected.

Wow..since the BD price is on sale, I might take advantage of it tho still no BD player at the moment...  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2007 at 09:21 PM by pchin »

Offline NeilNo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2007 at 09:57 PM »
Congrat's Moks for going format neutral!

Before I can comment on your experience, I would like to know the details of your set-up. You only told us about your LCD tv. What about your connection? Do you use HDMI or VGA going to your TV? Are you using an receiver? What type? What's the settings on your TV and PS3?

Thanks.

UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 07:51 AM »

Before I can comment on your experience, I would like to know the details of your set-up. You only told us about your LCD tv. What about your connection? Do you use HDMI or VGA going to your TV? Are you using an receiver? What type? What's the settings on your TV and PS3?

Thanks.

Hi Neilno..im using hdmi connects. Im running it straight to the lcd. My receiver has no hdmi. For the settings on my tv..I just use the thx optimizer that comes with the dvds. I did not buy the DVE yet. Here are the settings..Contrast 85, brightness 70, sharpness 25, colour 59, colour tone normal...Maybe I just have to play with the settings? Thanks

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 08:04 AM »
Firstly I'd like to congrat Raymond for taking the bold decision to be format Neutral & thanks for sharing your BD experience with us all.  ;)

I'm sure in time those who own those mentioned BD movies wil give their feedbacks. As for Pirate 2, I recall it has a 5-star PQ review right?  :-\ So hopefuly, it's the setting & the concerns can be corrected.

Wow..since the BD price is on sale, I might take advantage of it tho still no BD player at the moment...  ;D
Hi Paul, thanks..I have to say this is just base on what i am seeing and experiencing. It may just be the tv settings. Im gonna play around with it.
Regarding the price slash in amazon. Ya I would take advantage of this, imagine kung fu hustle, big fish, memento, Layer cake, species (ya I want to see whats her name in hidef hehe) at 14.95
Speed is at 24 plus dollars (to me a must buy)
Some other titles at 17.95
I even noticed blades of glory one dollar cheaper ata than the hddvd version. Also Black snake moan is a dollar or two cheaper also than hddvd version.
With our additional 10 percent discount to me these are must buys hehe..

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 08:23 AM »

Thanks.

Hi again...sorry for being kulit hehe..I think I may have solved the problem (this morning). I noticed different settings on my addon at component vs my hdmi..I reset my hdmi settings this morning like my component. Contrast 83, brightness 64, sharpness 82, colour 66, colour tone normal...Now it is way better (im rewatching Pirates 2 now) The weird thing is this setting is just based on my eye setting (hehe) not thx optimizer.. oh well..I might rewatch infernal affairs, bec it really look like dvd quality the first time I watched it...

Ok confirmed, I truly say problem solved for me..Pirates 2 look awesome with this new setting of mine, Im on daylight scenes now and its looks way sharper than before..Colors are magnificent, razor sharp. 5 star nga..

Thanks

Offline NeilNo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 10:54 AM »
Cool! Enjoy your new toy!!  ;D
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 12:07 PM »
Good to hear the problems are resolved!

Enjoy both formats, Ray!  ;)

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 03:28 PM »
Ok confirmed, I truly say problem solved for me..Pirates 2 look awesome with this new setting of mine, Im on daylight scenes now and its looks way sharper than before..Colors are magnificent, razor sharp. 5 star nga..

Thanks

congrats brod on your newly discovered set-up! enjoy watching your bds... :) :) :)

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 09:57 AM »
Thank very much guys, im glad kinda got the issue resolved. Pics were really soft without adjustment of picture settings (I was using thx optimizer settings for my dvd hehe..).The weird thing is why only on Pirates 2 that more softness happened. Faces and scenery are not really sharp. While Patriot and Pirates 1 look sharp  with the previous settings..Oh well na resolve naman hehe... I think DVe is coming out with Bd/hddvd disc this fall daw..