Author Topic: The Future of HD ...  (Read 14419 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Future of HD ...
« Reply #30 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 02:45 PM »
I think the "upscaling player is near HD" is more of " producing PQ that is good enough for most" We know that dvd is no match for HD, but for those with cash that can purchase the expensive processors or the really good dvd players, I think that is "good enough" PQ wise especially on those catalog titles or even the latest. Now if these toshiba players come in at 199 to 299 price level, its more affordable for most of us, especially for those with a modest to big dvd library, Its worth it.

I have high hopes for Toshiba's new strategy.  There's no official word from Toshiba yet, but here's what I understood from my google searches:

Rumor has it that Toshiba's new upscaler is no scam.  It's not going to be the present upscaling model that upconverts the present image in real time.  It's going to be a new technology, most probably a multiple-frame SR (Super-resolution) technique.

As an example of SR technique, Wikipedia cites PhotoAcute software, which combines the present frame with 4 prior frames and 4 subsequent frames to make 1 Super-resolution image.     

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-resolution

« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008 at 02:50 PM by barrister »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 03:15 PM »
I have high hopes for Toshiba's new strategy.  There's no official word from Toshiba yet, but here's what I understood from my google searches:

Rumor has it that Toshiba's new upscaler is no scam.  It's not going to be the present upscaling model that upconverts the present image in real time.  It's going to be a new technology, most probably a multiple-frame SR (Super-resolution) technique.

As an example of SR technique, Wikipedia cites PhotoAcute software, which combines the present frame with 4 prior frames and 4 subsequent frames to make 1 Super-resolution image.     

If Toshiba's new player can do that to SD video........

Then HD DVD just might have some company in the cemetery.
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008 at 04:31 PM by Munskie »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 04:07 PM »
 :D :D :D

Hindi naman siguro.  SD will never beat HD, that much we can be sure of.  Yung picture sa Wikipedia, still picture lang yata, not motion video.

The good thing about Super-resolution tech is that it is not really a new technology.  First time I heard about it was in the field of astronomy photos/videos, for further increasing resolution of images from high-powered telescopes. 

Toshiba already demoed the tech least year, but they only had computer applications in mind at the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1qxa1zv5uI

Now that HD DVD is dead and buried, they're thinking about a different approach. 

To me, the price of upgrading a player is peanuts.  It's the price of upgrading 500 DVD discs to Blu-ray that'll kill you.  ;)

« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008 at 04:27 PM by barrister »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 04:34 PM »

To me, the price of upgrading a player is peanuts.  It's the price of upgrading 500 DVD discs to Blu-ray that'll kill you.  ;)

I agree.  Thats why being stringent in choosing Blu-ray titles  is a must for me.  ;)

Offline darkwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 05:24 PM »
with Warner Phils. releasing BDs locally at 800, pwede na!!! ^_^

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #35 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 05:52 PM »
Hmmm if Tosh's new super-resolution can really do what it claims to do.
Then I am all for it, I wanna see how far can these new players push my current DVD collection.
 ;)

And I'm not really too keen on going blu.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #36 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 09:15 PM »

hehe it's very dull to be lonely. ;D

Thats why being stringent in choosing Blu-ray titles  is a must for me.  ;)

Same here...now my newest strategy is: Blu-ray + HD Download. :)
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008 at 09:16 PM by pchin »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jul 08, 2008 at 12:31 AM »

Pioneer develops 400GB Blu-ray compatible disc
Posted at: 11:33am 7th July 2008
by Ben Hardwidge
16-layer disc maintains compatibility with Blu-ray
and provides masses of storage space

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/602907/pioneer-develops-400gb-blu-ray-compatible-disc.html

How about Rome - The Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons, plus special features, on 1 high-def disc?   :o
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2008 at 10:13 AM by barrister »

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jul 08, 2008 at 02:43 PM »
....Rumor has it that Toshiba's new upscaler is no scam.  It's not going to be the present upscaling model that upconverts the present image in real time.  It's going to be a new technology, most probably a multiple-frame SR (Super-resolution) technique.....

Looks like a "super noise-reduction" technique to me, because the image is still soft, only the noise where removed almost 100%.  This is very good if implemented in digital still camera.
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline DaSilva

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #39 on: Jul 08, 2008 at 03:34 PM »
not in the future, but something that's already here:

a 10 million-pixel display, and here is how it looks

article here

and this is another version of 10 megapixels, a projector from meridian capable of 4,000 x 2400

that article is here

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jul 08, 2008 at 04:53 PM »

Wow!

It's good to know that "Beyond-HD" resolution is slowly becoming more common.

10 Mp video resolution is commonly called "4K resolution" (4096 x 2048 pixels).

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 24, 2008 at 11:06 PM »
This is what they should be doing if they really want to kill SD DVD:

Group peers into 3-D future for Blu-Ray
Rick Merritt
EE Times
(08/21/2008 1:59 PM EDT)

SAN JOSE, Calif. — The Blu-Ray Disc Association is developing its position on stereoscopic 3-D under growing pressure from Hollywood studios who want to create a home video market for their rising number of stereo 3-D movies. 

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210200055

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Sep 05, 2008 at 09:49 AM »
Samsung: "Blu-ray has 5 years left"
INTERVIEW: Andy Griffiths, director of consumer electronics, Samsung UK
3 September 2008 16:17 GMT
by Stuart Miles 

Samsung has said that it sees the Blu-ray format only lasting a further 5 years before it is replaced by another format or technology.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/17399/18423/samsung-blu-ray-5-years-left.phtml

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #43 on: Sep 05, 2008 at 10:26 PM »
I think the HiDef downloads are starting to eat up the BD at present. So did BD actually really won the war? Too early to tell.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #44 on: Sep 06, 2008 at 03:18 AM »
I think the HiDef downloads are starting to eat up the BD at present. So did BD actually really won the war? Too early to tell.
i agree .. :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline rainmanred

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 01:22 PM »
We are actually somewhat experiencing the future of HD already here in the Philippines, just watch movies at the Gateway Cineplex Dolby Digital Cinemas, they now use the Christie's 2K digital projectors. Many people are still not aware that they were watching 2K digital master projections of their favorite hollywood releases. This is a possible immediate future for Philippine cinema, many of which are now doing digital intermediate mastering at least on HD before recording back to film. The digital theaters would now eradicate the need to output back onto film for theatrical release, significantly cutting down distribution costs for independent producers. 2K resolution (slightly higher than HD) is the desirable minimum (4k would be excelllent!) but HD might do well enough for the already suffering Filipino film industry. I think SM North annex already has a digital 2k theater and many other cineplexes would soon follow suit.

Offline marzi

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 05:29 PM »
lol @ HD race..di pa ba masaya yung malinaw na pics? sino ba sa atin ang nanonood ng nakadikit ang mata sa lcd/plasma screens?

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 01:01 PM »

Offline vx2

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 03:40 PM »
I still prefer physical media though, whatever they may say.

There's nothing like the feeling of having "physically" owned or owning of your favorite movie, music or game. Not to mention quality. (although we might argue of the environment but that's another argument all together.)

Seeing that there's not much price difference between physical and digital downloads, in fact some media are cheaper in physical form than they're downloadable counterparts, I'm still inclined to go the physical route. I mean, digital distribution should lessen the cost to about 30-50% of their original physical forms shouldn't they?

Offline alistair

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 04:31 PM »
I still prefer physical media though, whatever they may say.

There's nothing like the feeling of having "physically" owned or owning of your favorite movie, music or game. Not to mention quality. (although we might argue of the environment but that's another argument all together.)
Don't forget the most important point, one that publishers are glossing over—physical media can be resold.
I mean, digital distribution should lessen the cost to about 30-50% of their original physical forms shouldn't they?
They should, but they don't.

I can pick up a brand new copy of Warhawk for the PS3 for around $35 (P 1,600). I can also buy and download the game from the PSN store for $30.

I can buy a mint condition used copy of Warhawk for P1000 (or around $21). If I buy a brand new copy, I can also resell it later on even for as low as P800 (~ $17) which brings my cost of acquisition/play to only $18.

In either case, physical media actually comes out cheaper.

Offline vx2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 05:40 PM »
Don't forget the most important point, one that publishers are glossing over—physical media can be resold.

Oh yes. One of the most important things. Thank you for reminding me that. Physical copies serve also as a nice display or conversational piece.

I can buy a mint condition used copy of Warhawk for P1000 (or around $21). If I buy a brand new copy, I can also resell it later on even for as low as P800 (~ $17) which brings my cost of acquisition/play to only $18.

True. I actually got my copy of Warhawk $10 at Amazon's Black Friday deals last year.

Take this for example, The Killers' Day and Age album:
 $11.99 on itunes. That's a 192kbps list of tracks. Good, but not great.
On CD it's $9.99, that's a physical disc with art and inserts and i could do what I want and rip em up to 320kbps or FLAC for better audio fidelity.

Also, Live from the Royal Albert Hall:
$12.99, that includes the whole, uncompressed live music on CD with a DVD of the concert.
on iTunes, that's $12.99 for a lousy compressed video and music.

Anyway on topic, since i've noticed the HD video streaming rentals, like Netflix, do not exist here, we're a long way off. Bandwidth (or lack of) is the primary concern along with international licensing issues.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Dec 08, 2009 at 01:39 PM »

Well just imagine this, if that technology can do that to an SD Video then imagine what it can do to an HD video.  If they can further enhance and upscale a Full HD Video to a Super HD video you can have a really big screen and still ahve a superb detail on the picture.

SD is just that, HD will always be a mile ahead no matter what.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Dec 08, 2009 at 06:12 PM »
For me, 1080p should end with 42" TVs.  Anything above 42" should already have the 1080p source material upscaled to 2k resolution.  The dot pitch of 1080p at 42" already makes the pixels obvious at 4ft viewing.  
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2009 at 06:18 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Dec 24, 2009 at 10:06 AM »
For me, 1080p should end with 42" TVs.  Anything above 42" should already have the 1080p source material upscaled to 2k resolution.  The dot pitch of 1080p at 42" already makes the pixels obvious at 4ft viewing.  

I respectfully disagree with this.  My 50V 1080p plasma has such fine resolution, that I cannot see the resolution lines that are obviously masking the image on 720p plasmas.   My regular sitting distance is between 1.6 to 2.0 meters only.

IMO, 1080p is sufficient up to 65V.   For 103V, certainly not enough - but then again nobody is supposed to watch a 103V panel from 4ft.
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2009 at 10:07 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Dec 30, 2009 at 11:48 AM »
But the grids will most likely be obvious starting at 8 ft.  The higher the screen size for the same resolution, the wider apart are the grids and the lower the dot pitch.  In the same way that some 480 materials can be upscaled nicely on a 32 inch dsiplay.  A 1080p matieral will look even more gorgeous upscaled in a 2k 60 inch display. 

Offline Hot Mama

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I Love My Hot Mama!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jan 11, 2010 at 03:18 PM »
Future of HD?

How about HD in 3D? See this Sony article..

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201001/10-002E/index.html

;D

Offline Blu-devil

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Bible, The Worlds Most Famous Work of Fiction
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #56 on: Jan 27, 2010 at 02:56 PM »
The future is very bright for HD, even in the Philippines. I'm just about to have my dream beachside house built and in it will be a dedicated Home Theatre. In this room I intend to have a Full HD (3D) front projection system and  7.1 (7.2/ 9.2) surround sound system. The problem is prices. I visited a home cinema retailer here in Cebu to inquire about the price of the Panasonic AE-4000 and Epson HC8100. I almost had a cardiac, they did not have the Panny 4000 but offered the earlier 3000 for 140,000 PhP. I can buy the 4000 and have it shipped from the US for less than 100,000 PhP. They did not have the Epson 8100 but again offered me a hd ready (720P) projector for 130 K. I can get the 8100 shipped price of 70K and that is a full HD (1080P) projector, hell I can even buy the 8500UB for 120K including courier from the States. Talk about pulling our pants down around our ankles. The prices here for electronics is beyond a joke. They wont stop parallel imports until they reduce prices, drastically.
Denon AVR-4400H: Denon PMA520AE: DMP-UB400: Epson EH-TW9400: Jamo 7.1.4 Atmos Speakers: 135” screen

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #57 on: Jan 27, 2010 at 03:52 PM »
congratulations on your future ht :)

imo 140k for the ae3000 isn't too bad. when i bought mine from the US, the street price was $2500 with the exchange rate around $1:P49. the local price was P160k.  the ae4000 on the other hand, debuted in the states for $2000, $500 less than the ae3000.

front projection systems here in the Philippines are pricier because the market for it is very small compared to the US market. among the locally available brands, imo panasonic has the closest price compared to the states. it around 20% higher. other brands like epson are almost twice as expensive. but i think the prices for other types of displays(32-42" plasma/lcd) are at par with other countries.

if you still think the price for a front projector is bad, just wait till you ask how much a decent screen costs  ;D manual screens from Da-lite and OS are around 50k+. electric screens are around 100k  ;D lesser known brands are cheaper, around 10-20k.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #58 on: Jan 27, 2010 at 08:56 PM »
I visited a home cinema retailer here in Cebu to inquire about the price of the Panasonic AE-4000 and Epson HC8100. I almost had a cardiac, they did not have the Panny 4000 but offered the earlier 3000 for 140,000 PhP. I can buy the 4000 and have it shipped from the US for less than 100,000 PhP.

Recently, I came across a local retailer who take special order of the Panny AE4000 at around 120k. Yes, it certainly will be much cheaper if you can import the unit yourself.

but i think the prices for other types of displays(32-42" plasma/lcd) are at par with other countries.

Not sure about the other brands but as for SONY Phil, I can say for sure that our local price is ridiculously way too high....there's one time I was eyeing a specific model & shocked to discover the local price was about 60% higher than in Malaysia! :o

Offline Blu-devil

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Bible, The Worlds Most Famous Work of Fiction
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #59 on: Jan 30, 2010 at 01:42 AM »
Thanks for the heads up pchin. Do you have a name/ number for the merchant selling the PT-AE4000 for 120PhP?
Denon AVR-4400H: Denon PMA520AE: DMP-UB400: Epson EH-TW9400: Jamo 7.1.4 Atmos Speakers: 135” screen