Author Topic: SkyCable drops JackTV, BTV and Solar Sports  (Read 38185 times)

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
^^ theres no axn, btv is a premium channel which you need to get a set top box for (addl P200 monthly and have to pay P1,500 ata for the box), and there is C/S (not premium).
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline wrathboo21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • howdy!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
There's a rumor that BTv will be a regular destiny channel by november (i guess in time for the tip off nba '08 season). Another rumor is that Destiny is currently negotiating to get Star TV and AXN once again.  :o
here come the little things...

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
There's a rumor that BTv will be a regular destiny channel by november (i guess in time for the tip off nba '08 season). Another rumor is that Destiny is currently negotiating to get Star TV and AXN once again.  :o

well, if STAR, including STAR Chinese Movies and AXN would be back on Destiny, Animax na lang, masaya na ako...
 ;D

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69

i really should lobby our building administrator once i get back to manila this week. hehehe.

Offline alcobobaz

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
I saw the ad on the Inquirer last Saturday about the programs on AXN Beyond, Fox Crime, Velvet and Maxxx and the programs don't appeal to me. 

We don't have Inquirer so can I ask what those programs are? Bad trip Sky Cable!!

Offline clea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi-dilly-ho-dilly, neighboreenos.
  • Liked:
i really should lobby our building administrator once i get back to manila this week. hehehe.

write a petition for all the tenants/owners to get their opinion to ensure that the administrator will listen.  but things like this usually cost money that the cable company will need to shoulder :o
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Toy Launch
Megamall A May30

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
^ just confirmed with the building admin - we're exclusive to skycable, some kind of contract daw.  :'(

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
for alcobobaz and the rest, here's the list of tv shows as advertised in the sept. 8 issue of the inquirer:
AXN Beyond: Dresden Files, Painkiller Jane, Hex, Ripley's Believe it or not, Supernatural
Fox crimeBrotherhood, Dexter, CSI, CSI miami, Law & order, Masterminds
Velvet The view, Good morning america, Crossing Jordan, E!news weekend, Soup, Extreme makeover home edition
Maxx Bullrun, Unique whips, Xplay

Offline Pillow

• DVD Addict
  • Unstoppable!
  • Liked:
Balls is on its initial test broadcast on sky. Its on channel 33, if i remember correctly.

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Balls is on its initial test broadcast on sky. Its on channel 33, if i remember correctly.

noticed that.  as i recall puros tennis.  no sign of nba basketball.

Offline viperkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
I'm going home this December and I'm a huge NFL fan do they have NFL in Balls?

Offline clea

• Collector
  • Hi-dilly-ho-dilly, neighboreenos.
  • Liked:
^ just confirmed with the building admin - we're exclusive to skycable, some kind of contract daw.  :'(

if you can ask for a copy of the contract, you might check the details. there might be afine print which could help your cause ;)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Toy Launch
Megamall A May30

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Solar Entertainment Channels will be removed on SkyCable
« Reply #72 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 11:19 AM »
3. The most exciting news for all our clients and agencies which we would like to share with you, coinciding with the start of the new Fall Season this October, 2007, in the United States, Solar will be scheduling series such as Heroes, 24, Prison Break, Sarah Connors Chronicles and Bionic Woman, on a day and date basis with the US telecast schedule.

Heroes Season 2 debuts tomorrow in the States. So, are we getting it on the same day/date locally, or was this claim of Solar nothing but a lot of BS?

For a major coup like this, I'd expect a bit more publicity, not just a post on an internet message board.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I have a feeling that they'll only start that same date/same airing schedule when they leave skycable.

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:

Cable company dropping Solar channels effective Jan.1
Article posted September 26, 2007 - 11:00 PM
BY JEFFREY O. VALISNO, BusinessWorld Senior reporter

DOMINANT CABLE television service provider SkyCable is set to implement major changes in its programming lineup starting January next year, introducing six new channels that are each targeted to cater to specific audiences.

The new channels will likely replace the six cable channels owned and operated by local media firm Solar Entertainment Corp., whose contract to broadcast on SkyCable will expire on Dec. 31.

In a recent media preview, SkyCable Vice-President for programming Juno Chuidian announced that the six new channels are: AXN Beyond, Balls, Fox Crime, KidsCo, Maxxx, and Velvet.

The new channels will go on air beginning Jan. 1.

Ms. Chuidian explained that the introduction of the new channels is part of SkyCable’s efforts to get rid of "redundant" channels.

"We wanted to streamline and strengthen our programming mix so that we could give optimum value from our channels," she told reporters.

"With the new programming, redundant programs have been reduced while new international shows will be brought for the first time to the Filipino viewers."

The entry of the new channels will dislodge Solar Entertainment’s six channels from SkyCable’s programming lineup. By Jan. 1 next year, Ms. Chuidian said SkyCable would no longer carry Basketball TV, Solar Sports, ETC, 2nd Avenue, Jack TV, and Crime/Suspense.

"After all, some of the more prominent programs in these channels may still be found on free TV or SkyCable’s other channels, such as StarWorld and AXN," she said.

Talk is rife that SkyCable’s decision to oust the Solar group is part of a scheme to help SkyCable’s sister company, ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corp., corner more advertisement revenues for its affiliates, and hit its P1-billion net income target for the entire 2007.

ABS-CBN’s own cable channels (through its subsidiary, Creative Programs, Inc.), including the Lifestyle Network and Cinema One, as well as its free TV affiliate Studio 23, are allegedly losing advertising to Solar Entertainment’s channels, which are said to be "favored" by advertisers for their "cheaper" airtime rates.

Weak advertising revenues earlier pulled down ABS-CBN’s net income.

After reporting a 25% drop in net income in 2004, the Lopez-led media firm’s net income further slumped by 62% to P288 million in 2005. Since then, the company has recovered. As of the first half of this year, ABS-CBN’s net income rose by 77% to P739 million, nearly matching its earnings for the entire 2006.

ABS-CBN currently owns 10.2% of SkyVision Corp., the holding company that owns 66.5% of Central CATV, better known by its trade name SkyCable.

Ms. Chuidian said SkyCable’s decision to severe ties with Solar Entertainment "was very amicable" and "was nothing personal."

"There are so many new channels out there, worldwide. Since SkyCable’s capacity is limited, we cannot carry so many channels. So we decided to take in new ones, and replace existing channels that duplicate what we already have in the lineup," she said.

The SkyCable official is also confident that current subscribers will not leave because of the pullout of Solar’s channels. "We have about 100 channels, I think there will not be a lot of subscribers who will leave just because of six channels," she said, adding that 70% of all the current cable television subscriptions are with SkyCable.

BusinessWorld sought Solar Entertainment’s comment, but they declined to say anything at this point. "Our official statement at this point is ’No Comment,’" said a Solar official who declined to be named. "Negotiations are ongoing. We cannot reveal anything yet."

The official however assured that "Solar Entertainment will continue, with or without Skycable."

From GMA News: http://www.gmanews.tv/story/62112/Cable-company-dropping-Solar-channels-effective-Jan1#

Offline kixter

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
I heard this was started by a Manny Pacquiao issue. Something like ABS (who owns Sky) got pissed at Solar for tie-up with GMA. So they wanted to remove certain channels of Solar in the sky cable line up. Thing is, Solar knows their power, so they decided to remove ALL their channels and put it on Destiny!

Hay!! Politics!! Not sure if there's any truth about this.. but there's no smoke if there's not fire.  ;D
~With great power, comes great responsibility~

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
I heard this was started by a Manny Pacquiao issue. Something like ABS (who owns Sky) got pissed at Solar for tie-up with GMA. So they wanted to remove certain channels of Solar in the sky cable line up. Thing is, Solar knows their power, so they decided to remove ALL their channels and put it on Destiny!

Hay!! Politics!! Not sure if there's any truth about this.. but there's no smoke if there's not fire.  ;D

the pacquiao thingy was really the one that set things in motion though not the major reason.  abs cbn acted like a bunch of sore losers huh.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
abs cbn acted like a bunch of sore losers huh.

They always do. Childish, really, for a major network.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
What? 'Redundant'? Do their other channels carry The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Late Show with David Letterman and Late Night with Conan O'Brien? Not to mention The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Saturday Night Live?

Will I be forced to choose between Star World and JackTV?

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
What? 'Redundant'? Do their other channels carry The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Late Show with David Letterman and Late Night with Conan O'Brien? Not to mention The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Saturday Night Live?

Will I be forced to choose between Star World and JackTV?

Forced, that's the right word, I think Skycable shouldn't force people to watch their own channels. The signal quality is mediocre compared to Solar's it's like watching a VHS tape.

By the way this is kinda OT, I read a news saying that the reason why AXN launched AXN Beyond is because NBC Universal announced of launching the Sci-Fi Channel in Asia. NBC Universal also put up an Asian operations base in Singapore and the appointed managing director is a Filipino, Raymund Miranda, who was formerly with Smart myTV and 360 Media, NBC Manila's xFM and Walt Disney Asia. Operations will start next month. NBC also bought Sparrowhawk Media Group who owns Hallmark Channel and KidsCo, the new kids channel SkyCable will be launching next year.

I'm guessing if NBC is back in Asia, they will introduce more new channels that were previously available only to the US market.

Another OT, Solar plans to go international and will offer their channels over Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Eastern Europe. Could this one reason why SkyCable wants to drop Solar because Solar will be competing with ABS-CBN's Global channels.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Perhaps we should sign a petition and send it to SkyCable telling them that we'll switch to Destiny if they push through with dropping the Solar Channels. If they see the amount of clients they'll be losing to Destiny, they'll try to negotiate something with Solar.

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
^ yup maybe an online petition to force them to rethink their decision. because i am seriously tired of switching cable providers after that whole starworld brouhaha. i want to support destiny but i really like some of sky's other channels.
alam nyo buti pa nga sa probinsya, you get the best of all the channels. sa boracay, they have cinemax, pinoy box office, discovery travel & living, mtv, channel v,etc.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2007 at 04:45 PM by halvert »

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
no problem with the sky/solar rift anymore since the destiny guys installed my cable today. miles way clearer than our sky connection which snows even more when it rains. ;)

it even becomes a boon to us since starting january daw, most solar offerings will be shown thru destiny also.
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2007 at 09:07 AM by gearhead »
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Yes, I support this move. Who will start?

Perhaps we should sign a petition and send it to SkyCable telling them that we'll switch to Destiny if they push through with dropping the Solar Channels. If they see the amount of clients they'll be losing to Destiny, they'll try to negotiate something with Solar.

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
no problem with the sky/solar rift anymore since the destiny guys installed my cable today. miles way clearer than our sky connection which snows even more when it rains. ;)

it even becomes a boon to us since starting january daw, most solar offerings will be shown thru destiny also.

I think this started last Saturday. Destiny was already showing some feeds of pre-boxing events of Manny Pacquiao since Saturday night on Solar All-Access while Sky's coverage started on Sunday which only showed the fight and that's it. Not to mention Sky's so-high-above-the-sky Pay-per-view fee.  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2007 at 04:45 PM by jason13 »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
We can start one using this site:

http://www.petitiononline.com/

Sky Cable will probably only take this seriously if and only if we also put in our account number to show that we're actual subscribers (Is it safe to do that on-line?). If enough of us do that, that can frighten Sky Cable into negotiating something with Solar.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
I just read that the Star Channels will be returning in Destiny Cable coming 2008. Now, Sky Cable is really in trouble. At least from me. Haha!

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
Rewind to the previous decade:

In the early 90s, Sky removed HBO since they did not agree on the rates. After several months, HBO was reinstated since the two have come to an agreement. (Sky put up  its own movie channel to fill in the void during HBO's absence)

A few years afterwards, Discovery was removed from the lineup again due to disagreement about rates. Another channel was put up to fill in for Discovery. If memory serves me right, it was Knowledge Channel (not the Knowledge channel that we have now). A few months later, Discovery was back again since they have come to an agreement about the rates.

Most of you would remember that for a time, Star Channels were removed from Sky's lineup again due to disagreement in rates. They have been reinstated after an exhaustive negotiations.

I am not privy to the reason why Solar is being pulled out, but most probably it is about rates again. Maybe, Solar should be the one paying Sky for carriage of their channels considering that they have significant amount of commercials like what they do for RPN 9 (as blocktimer).

Yes, lots of subscribers are pissed off with impending  removal of the solar channels, just like they were pissed off when HBO, Discovery, and the Star Channels were removed before. Still, Sky remains to be the dominant operator in the metro manila area in spite of the disparity in the subscription rates compared to Destiny. (P1000 vs P450?) There will be switchers, its a given and expected, but I still believe Solar will be back eventually since they will be facing a very big problem when they are dropped by sky as i see it:

1. When Solar moves to destiny, their claimed sub base would be significantly lower compared to when they were in the sky group. I understand that the removal of channels is nationwide involving all sky/home affiliated cable companies nationwide. Advertisers will have second thoughts putting ad placements in their channels since the target eyeballs have significantly diminished.

2. Solar will definitely not get the same income from Destiny as they used to get from Sky because of the number of household. They may not even get the correct subscriber count since Destiny could be under reporting their sub base (hence they can charge lower). As a rule, programming fees are pegged on the number of subscribers with a minimum guaranteed amount.

3. Less income to solar from ads and programming fees from cable  ops would lead to less funds to pay for the shows that they are getting from the US. The solar guys may have deep pockets courtesy of the pacquio fights (and maybe less than transparent accounting practices) but for how long.

Don't be deluded that sky subs will switch en-masse because the solar channel removal. Most will do a wait-see attitude assessing the new replacement channels before they eventually make the decision to switch

At the very end, the choice remains with you if you want to stay or switch. As for me, I can always get copies of Heroes, latest pa nga!

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
Rewind to the previous decade:

In the early 90s, Sky removed HBO since they did not agree on the rates. After several months, HBO was reinstated since the two have come to an agreement. (Sky put up  its own movie channel to fill in the void during HBO's absence)

A few years afterwards, Discovery was removed from the lineup again due to disagreement about rates. Another channel was put up to fill in for Discovery. If memory serves me right, it was Knowledge Channel (not the Knowledge channel that we have now). A few months later, Discovery was back again since they have come to an agreement about the rates.

Most of you would remember that for a time, Star Channels were removed from Sky's lineup again due to disagreement in rates. They have been reinstated after an exhaustive negotiations.

I am not privy to the reason why Solar is being pulled out, but most probably it is about rates again. Maybe, Solar should be the one paying Sky for carriage of their channels considering that they have significant amount of commercials like what they do for RPN 9 (as blocktimer).

Yes, lots of subscribers are pissed off with impending  removal of the solar channels, just like they were pissed off when HBO, Discovery, and the Star Channels were removed before. Still, Sky remains to be the dominant operator in the metro manila area in spite of the disparity in the subscription rates compared to Destiny. (P1000 vs P450?) There will be switchers, its a given and expected, but I still believe Solar will be back eventually since they will be facing a very big problem when they are dropped by sky as i see it:

1. When Solar moves to destiny, their claimed sub base would be significantly lower compared to when they were in the sky group. I understand that the removal of channels is nationwide involving all sky/home affiliated cable companies nationwide. Advertisers will have second thoughts putting ad placements in their channels since the target eyeballs have significantly diminished.

2. Solar will definitely not get the same income from Destiny as they used to get from Sky because of the number of household. They may not even get the correct subscriber count since Destiny could be under reporting their sub base (hence they can charge lower). As a rule, programming fees are pegged on the number of subscribers with a minimum guaranteed amount.

3. Less income to solar from ads and programming fees from cable  ops would lead to less funds to pay for the shows that they are getting from the US. The solar guys may have deep pockets courtesy of the pacquio fights (and maybe less than transparent accounting practices) but for how long.

Don't be deluded that sky subs will switch en-masse because the solar channel removal. Most will do a wait-see attitude assessing the new replacement channels before they eventually make the decision to switch

At the very end, the choice remains with you if you want to stay or switch. As for me, I can always get copies of Heroes, latest pa nga!

very exhaustive observation indeed.  if i read it right....the center of it all is subscriber based.  and i think mass switching from sky to destiny is indeed inevitable and forthcoming.  and that will more or less solve the income issue of solar as a whole.

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
very exhaustive observation indeed.  if i read it right....the center of it all is subscriber based.  and i think mass switching from sky to destiny is indeed inevitable and forthcoming.  and that will more or less solve the income issue of solar as a whole.

Please note also that mass switchings were feared when HBO, Discovery, and the Star Channels were removed. At one time, Disney is only available in Destiny and many people thought that that would have significant impact on Skycable's sub base. I believe that nothing of that sort happened then (or so as my 'DPAs' inside Sky is telling me). I heard that after almost a year, Star realized that they cannot be not present in the systems of the dominant cable operator hence a 'mutually beneficial' deal must have been closed between the two.

My fearless take on this is that there will be switchers, yes, but not on a volume that would enable Solar to attain its current income from Sky in a short time. I used to be a Destiny subscriber but have to go back to Sky inspite of higher fees. Not really fully satisfied with Destiny's service. My feeling is that they give priority to their cable broadband internet subscribers than the cable tv subs.

Time it seems is not on Solar's side.   :(  :(