Author Topic: Supergirl  (Read 30882 times)

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Supergirl
« on: Sep 06, 2007 at 11:31 AM »
Anyone remember this hokey 1970s flick? I think this was the first Tagalog movie where I laughed so hard tears came running down my face and my tummy ached afterwards--and this movie wasn't even a comedy. I first saw this when it was being shown during the afternoons (can't remember the station though).

Anyway, if I recall correctly, the main character seemed to be unaware that she could turn into Supergirl; I think it only happens if she kisses her ring or something. The actress who played Supergirl was named Pinky Montilla (whatever happened to her?) and she was completely deadpan throughout the entire movie.

It wasn't clear who the villains were, but I do remember some kind of demoness (Liza Lorena? Odette Khan? or both?) who snarled and overacted her way until the utterly ludicrous and hilarious finale, which invoved vampires or zombies overrunning a small barrio, plus a gigantic frog. I even recall Ike Lozada squirming and dying while the barrio people were stampeding, and wondered why no one bothered to help him. And Supergirl? Her human identity just ran around looking dazed until around 90% of the population was slaughtered, and then she turns into Supergirl (geez, talk about too little, too late :D ). DC comics must've been horrified.

Any chance of this film being reshown on TV in the afternoons?  ;D

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Supergirl
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 11:35 AM »
hahaha!  i vaguely remember this.  i remember the zombies, the giant frog ang ike lozada.  ike lozada i think played a Bonjing sort of character.

i don't recall if the superhero character was supergirl though.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2007 at 11:36 AM by DVD_Freak »

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 11:51 AM »
I can only remember the giant frog.

I think it was shown at channel 9, along with the movies discussed in the other thread plus the old LVN, Sampagita movies like Bulung-Bulungan with Nida Blanca, and a lot of movies where Eddie Garcia is always playing the one mustached bad guy (he seemed to have fair complexion in B&W movies); where Chichay always play the taratitat maid na makikipagsabunutan sa isa pang character na babae with an equal funny (if not funnier) screen name). ;D. Kung babae naman ang kontrabida it would always be Panchito's mother (what's her name?) or the lady who's singkit with high chickbones (I remember the face, not the name) who always finds a way to flirt with the male bida at agawin sa babaeng bida.

Now that we're talking about this, I miss these old movies.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 12:24 PM »
AshKetchum this movie was discussed also in ELEKTRIKA thread. The movie was shot in sepia by Zoila who also did SUPER GEE.

Another lost pinoy film. Way, way ahead and much better than the Helen Slater film. Odette Khan as the opponent of Pinky Montilla was quite effective, you should remember her eyes glancing at you in this flick. Ike Lozada died tragically in slow death. One scene that I can't forget here was the scene at the church where Pinky was giving Walter Navarro a sign of the cross because he turned zombie already.

And of course, the giant frog. It was also shown in BBC 2 (The Big Bold Channel). Now its known as Abs-Cbn. Like Quitacet, I miss these kind of movies.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2007 at 12:50 PM by keating »

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 03:07 PM »
How I wish someone would remaster these Filipino cult classics:
1.  Supergirl
2.  Elektrika Kasi

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 03:47 PM »
Isama niyo na din the omnibus trilogy by Bernal, Perez and Gosiengfiao with Ariel Ureta:

ZOOM ZOOM SUPERMAN
SI POPEYE ATBP.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 04:22 PM »
Kung babae naman ang kontrabida it would always be Panchito's mother (what's her name?) or the lady who's singkit with high chickbones (I remember the face, not the name) who always finds a way to flirt with the male bida at agawin sa babaeng bida.

Now that we're talking about this, I miss these old movies.

Etang Discher is the mother of Panchito -- the penultimate movie villain! Could that "singkit" be Zeny Zabala?

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 04:22 PM »
      Medyo off-the-topic but I think this will do. My apologies to AshKetchum. Although Jeannot Swarzc's SUPERGIRL has been lambasted by critics and moviegoers, I still like this movie. For one thing, nakakadala ang soaring score ni Jerry Goldsmith dito that actually rivals John Williams' in SUPERMAN ni Richard Donner. For me, mas convincing ang flying "ballet" scene ni Helen as compared sa paglipad ni Christopher Reeve. At isa pa, ang ganda ni Helen Slater. ;D

Back to SUPERGIRL natin, ni newspaper movie ad wala na rin. 'Yun man lang makita natin ang still shots.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2007 at 04:25 PM by thegoodbyeguy »

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 04:36 PM »
Etang Discher is the mother of Panchito -- the penultimate movie villain! Could that "singkit" be Zeny Zabala?

Ayun, si Etang. Tama.

Re: Zeny Zabala, I can't be sure but now that you posted the name, my mind says she's most probably it. After your post I googled the name for an image but no image is available online.

I also found this informative page about Sampagita stars: http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/sb/sb003728.htm

Post Edited:

Yup it's Zeny Zabala. I remember this "singkit" kontrabida in Bulung-bulungan and after I found this site: http://www.kabayancentral.com/video/spi/cpspibbulungan.html , I can confirm she's the one I'm talking about in the couple of posts above.

Medyo tumatak itong movie na ito sa akin because of the theme song which I like (hanggang ngayon ;D ;D)
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2007 at 04:41 PM by Quitacet »

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 04:50 PM »
Wasn't this movie one of the inspirations for the graphic novel Zsazsa Zaturnah? The giant frog, the zombies, etc... way better than the Joel Lamangan disaster that was Zaturnah ze movie.
I remember how Supergirl had to make the zombies make the sign of the cross when they enter the church to make them ---die again?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 06:20 PM »
Zoila only wrote the komiks novel... Super Gee was directed by Armando Garces who later helmed Vilma's Darna Vs. The Planet Women... Pinky Montilla's first foray into the superhero genre was in Fantastika with Roberto Gonzales. she also starred as a young military recruit with Rodel Naval in Ang Bituin At Ang Araw. most of her movies, Supergirl included were produced by Prima Productions.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 06:52 PM »
My mistake, sorry guys. Is Pinky Montilla in the U.S. now?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 06:57 PM »
i'm not quite sure if she's US based... the last movie i saw her in was 1980's Reyna Ng Pitong Gatang where she played Lloyd Samartino's sister...

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 08:12 PM »
Just wondering about Pinky Montilla...is she related to actor Fred Montilla? Also, if I remember correctly, her hair wasn't completely black, was it? It was somewhat brown--was Pinky partly American?

For me, mas convincing ang flying "ballet" scene ni Helen as compared sa paglipad ni Christopher Reeve.

I noticed that too--I thought the flying sequences in Supergirl were better than the ones in all of Reeve's films.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 08:42 PM »
      Medyo off-the-topic but I think this will do. My apologies to AshKetchum. Although Jeannot Swarzc's SUPERGIRL has been lambasted by critics and moviegoers, I still like this movie. For one thing, nakakadala ang soaring score ni Jerry Goldsmith dito that actually rivals John Williams' in SUPERMAN ni Richard Donner. For me, mas convincing ang flying "ballet" scene ni Helen as compared sa paglipad ni Christopher Reeve. At isa pa, ang ganda ni Helen Slater. ;D

Back to SUPERGIRL natin, ni newspaper movie ad wala na rin. 'Yun man lang makita natin ang still shots.

Completely agree with your opinions about Slater's Supergirl.  Specially, dun sa comment mo na ang ganda ni Helen Slater.  I still can remember her look in The Secret Of My Success with Michael J. Fox.   ;D

Regarding, Pinky.. I think part of the reason why I liked this movie is because of her.  Di naman sya super-ganda... pero iba ang dating nya..  ;)

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 11:20 PM »

Quote from: X-Ran posted today at 08:42PM
Completely agree with your opinions about Slater's Supergirl.  Specially, dun sa comment mo na ang ganda ni Helen Slater.  I still can remember her look in The Secret Of My Success with Michael J. Fox.   

Regarding, Pinky.. I think part of the reason why I liked this movie is because of her.  Di naman sya super-ganda... pero iba ang dating nya..

Quote from: AshKetchum posted today at 08:12 PM
I noticed that too--I thought the flying sequences in Supergirl were better than the ones in all of Reeve's films.

Glad to know na hindi lang pala ako naka-appreciate ng SUPERGIRL ni Helen Slater. Yes, I do watch THE SECRET OF MY SUCCESS for the main reason that it starred her. Helen makes it fun to watch. I practically watch any Helen Slater movies that I can get my hands into like HAPPY TOGETHER and THE LEGEND OF BILLIE JEAN. If you happened to watch one of the documentaries in the SUPERMAN ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION she was being interviewed there to give some insights on her role as SUPERMAN's cousin but sadly napakaigsi ng participation niya. She refused to take part in the audio commentary of her debut film but was surprised she took part in SUPERMAN. She still is beautiful based on that interview. :)

On our own SUPERGIRL, Pinky Montilla has the looks that may not be like Lynda Carter or Helen but still can hold a candle of her own.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 02:41 AM »

Quote from: halvert  posted yesterday at 04:50PM
Wasn't this movie one of the inspirations for the graphic novel Zsazsa Zaturnah? The giant frog, the zombies, etc... way better than the Joel Lamangan disaster that was Zaturnah ze movie.
I remember how Supergirl had to make the zombies make the sign of the cross when they enter the church to make them ---die again?

I think so. The movie and most especially the book screams of that SUPERGIRL and DARNA mythology but the book is really hilarious compared to the movie adaptation na ginawa ng family-friendly.

Wow! Forget that scene already. Baka sa kaka-recall natin ng mga eksena e mabuo na uli ang SUPERGIRL.

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2007 at 12:12 PM by thegoodbyeguy »

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #17 on: Sep 09, 2007 at 03:01 AM »

Glad to know na hindi lang pala ako naka-appreciate ng SUPERGIRL ni Helen Slater. Yes, I do watch THE SECRET OF MY SUCCESS for the main reason that it starred her. Helen makes it fun to watch. I practically watch any Helen Slater movies that I can get my hands into like HAPPY TOGETHER and THE LEGEND OF BILLIE JEAN. If you happened to watch one of the documentaries in the SUPERMAN ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION she was being interviewed there to give some insights on her role as SUPERMAN's cousin but sadly napakaigsi ng participation niya. She refused to take part in the audio commentary of her debut film but was surprised she took part in SUPERMAN. She still is beautiful based on that interview. :)

On our own SUPERGIRL, Pinky Montilla has the looks that may not be like Lynda Carter or Helen but still can hold a candle of her own.

Speaking of HAPPY TOGETHER, ka-partner ni Ms. Slater roon si Patrick "McDreamy" Dempsey (who looked lampayatot back then) and in a small role, BRAD PITT - yup, the Mr. Angelina Jolie!!!

Sayang, di umunlad ang career niya...

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 09, 2007 at 04:25 PM »

Speaking of HAPPY TOGETHER, ka-partner ni Ms. Slater roon si Patrick "McDreamy" Dempsey (who looked lampayatot back then) and in a small role, BRAD PITT - yup, the Mr. Angelina Jolie!!!

Yes, Patrick was her co-star in that movie. She has become a professional pianist based on Empire Magazine. :)

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 10:21 PM »

If I remember correctly, the posters were spelled as Happy ToGetHer (or something to that effect).  Guilty pleasure ko itong movie na ito... primarily because of Helen Slater.

As for our Supergirl, what ever happened to her?

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 02:55 AM »

Quote from: X-Ran posted yesterday at 10:21PM
If I remember correctly, the posters were spelled as Happy ToGetHer (or something to that effect).  Guilty pleasure ko itong movie na ito... primarily because of Helen Slater.

As for our Supergirl, what ever happened to her?

Don't quite remembered the poster X-Ran. Good memory. ;) By the way, here's a glimpse of Helen in HAPPY TOGETHER:

(Just want to inform you, however, that the tag is misleading as it is not a trailer rather an excerpt of the film.)

http://www.liberatedfilms.com/film-103211-Happy%20Together%201989%20-%20Trailer

Kahit anino ni Pinky Montilla as SUPERGIRL wala sa internet. Or is there? Or lost forever in the phantom zone? ;D

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 16, 2007 at 02:24 PM »
   HELEN SLATER poses for an interview for SUPERMAN ULTIMATE EDITION release:

Now, where's our own picture of SUPERGIRL? :(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008 at 04:32 AM by thegoodbyeguy »

Offline fan4life

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 10:08 AM »
My mistake, sorry guys. Is Pinky Montilla in the U.S. now?

Yes she is as of 10/21/07.  Somewhere in the west.  She's happy and that's all i can say.  Thank you for thinking of her.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 01:41 PM »
Movie ad of Pinky's Supergirl from Video 48 blog. Here's the link:

http://video48.blogspot.com/2008/01/pinoy-superheroes-of-70s.html

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 02:21 PM »
Thanks for the blog link. I totally forgot about the Victor Wood Batman movie!

Offline mikevi

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 11:58 PM »
Thanks pinoymovies for the blog link re Supergirl's movie ads from the movie collections of Mr. Simon Santos. ;) Mabuhay po ang mga nagmamahal sa pinoy movies! i hope more pics of Pinky Montilla as SUPERGIRL & FANTASTIKA will be posted.Hopefully lumitaw na rin if ever me nagiingat pa ng copies nung mga films nya.Thanks a lot guys!

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 02:01 AM »

Now, where's our own picture of SUPERGIRL? :(

Ha ha! Posting my own previous post! ;D Now, this is what we called answered prayers. ;)

Movie ad of Pinky's Supergirl from Video 48 blog. Here's the link:

http://video48.blogspot.com/2008/01/pinoy-superheroes-of-70s.html

FINALLY!!! Our very own SUPERGIRL Movie Poster! Thanks pinoymovies for posting the link. Nice job Mr. Simon Santos. I felt goosebumps seeing the poster. It's been decades ago seeing Pinky in that suit! :D

Thanks pinoymovies for the blog link re Supergirl's movie ads from the movie collections of Mr. Simon Santos. ;) Mabuhay po ang mga nagmamahal sa pinoy movies! i hope more pics of Pinky Montilla as SUPERGIRL & FANTASTIKA will be posted.Hopefully lumitaw na rin if ever me nagiingat pa ng copies nung mga films nya.Thanks a lot guys!

Yup, hopefully more stills of SUPERGIRL and other local superheroes. ;)

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 09:13 PM »

So, the giant frog in SUPERGIRL isn't so much a farfetched idea at all! ;D
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080218/sc_nm/frog_devil_dc

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2011 at 04:17 PM »
We are keeping our fingers crossed that this will fly and will be resurrected soon.... ;)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Supergirl will fly soon!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2011 at 09:11 AM »
It's confirmed! Yay na yay na yay.....

We will see again the iconic Pinky Montilla as she battles the giant frog, the dreaded zombies and Odette Khan. And the much talked about death scene of the late Ike Lozada!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2011 at 09:12 AM by keating »