Author Topic: Astroplus Podium Warehouse Sale: September 28-30, 2007  (Read 18627 times)

Offline mannycamus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Astroplus Podium Warehouse Sale: September 28-30, 2007
« Reply #60 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 07:08 AM »
Because of that incident regarding a certain "harry", I just realized that I may have paid a higher price for my MI:3 2 DVDs copy which I got for 700 pesos.  So I inquired with the people at Astro Podium.  I then found out that this guy was not insisting on a 299 price but a 550pesos price.  The story behind this was that the Magna promo girl offered him the Ghost Rider 2DVD set for 550pesos (saying that it's really 700pesos, but if he wants to get it - she can lower the price to 550 (sales talk, because it's really 550pesos during the sale)).  Then the guy asked if the MI:3 2 DVDs which was also 700pesos, can be lowered  to 550 also.  She nodded and one of the sales girls beside them got it for him. But when he was about to pay, the promo girl denied she said yes and that probably got him angry.  Maybe, it's just a miscommunication.  This kind of incidents do happen.  And us customers should just be a little more understanding and likewise sales people or promo girls should just be more careful in giving discounts so as not to compromise their work.  I know they really have so many titles and compounding their work is the numerous versions of the same movie. Just like what happened before with Kung Fu Hustle (a Magna title) that had 3 versions and 3 prices.  This happened to me  before, when a Magna promo girl charged me the highest price for the cheapest version of this movie. Good thing I was a regular customer so she just told me to get another title to make up for the difference.

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 10:31 AM »
Because of that incident regarding a certain "harry", I just realized that I may have paid a higher price for my MI:3 2 DVDs copy which I got for 700 pesos.  So I inquired with the people at Astro Podium.  I then found out that this guy was not insisting on a 299 price but a 550pesos price.  The story behind this was that the Magna promo girl offered him the Ghost Rider 2DVD set for 550pesos (saying that it's really 700pesos, but if he wants to get it - she can lower the price to 550 (sales talk, because it's really 550pesos during the sale)).  Then the guy asked if the MI:3 2 DVDs which was also 700pesos, can be lowered  to 550 also.  She nodded and one of the sales girls beside them got it for him. But when he was about to pay, the promo girl denied she said yes and that probably got him angry.  Maybe, it's just a miscommunication.  This kind of incidents do happen.  And us customers should just be a little more understanding and likewise sales people or promo girls should just be more careful in giving discounts so as not to compromise their work.  I know they really have so many titles and compounding their work is the numerous versions of the same movie. Just like what happened before with Kung Fu Hustle (a Magna title) that had 3 versions and 3 prices.  This happened to me  before, when a Magna promo girl charged me the highest price for the cheapest version of this movie. Good thing I was a regular customer so she just told me to get another title to make up for the difference.

One time, I saw the James Dean DVDs ( all 3 of the 2 disc editions ) with a P275  sticker so I immediately grabbed all three!  However, at the back of my mind, this might be a mis price.  True enough, the cashier told me that it's not P275 but P350.  I still got them anyway.

Things like these happen.  Miscommunication is a fact of life.  People get confused.  What will all the sales happening around!  How many times have you seen a title on sale in one store and selling at regular price in the store right beside it? 

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.  That's the way it is.  Let's just be happy with all the DVD sales and price discounts going on.  It's dizzying, confusing sometimes yeah.  But I think this is more exciting than not having any sales at all?  That would be utterly lifeless and boring.

Offline kingkydoo

• Collector
  • DVD Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 01:25 PM »
Mga sirs,

Yung War of the Worlds R3 2-disc ed. na nabili ko sa Podium sale ay may DTS daw (indicated at the back).
Question is: DTS ba talaga siya? I can't seem to hear a noticeable difference between the Dolby and DTS soundtrack. Or is it just my ears? ???

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #63 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 04:13 PM »
Mga sirs,

Yung War of the Worlds R3 2-disc ed. na nabili ko sa Podium sale ay may DTS daw (indicated at the back).
Question is: DTS ba talaga siya? I can't seem to hear a noticeable difference between the Dolby and DTS soundtrack. Or is it just my ears? ???

Medyo OT:

Is the DTS track DTS ES or DTS 6.1? It depends what kind of HT setup you have.

I have a 5.1 setup and sometimes, pag nag-switch ako sa  DTS 6.1 or DTS ES track na hindi rated sa setup ko, it comes off na parang walang difference siya sa Dolby 5.1 na track. I've heard this "non-difference" between Dolby and DTS with my Lord of the Rings DVDs and most recently, with my Pan's Labyrinth DVD.

What's your setup?

Back to topic:

Would anyone know what the price of the Paprika DVD is at Astro? The one at Astro Robinson's Manila is at P895 while I hear at others it's P695  ???

Online jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #64 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 11:33 AM »
Would anyone know what the price of the Paprika DVD is at Astro? The one at Astro Robinson's Manila is at P895 while I hear at others it's P695  ???

P695 at Astro Robinson's Galleria. There is a new P695 sticker covering the original price sticker of P895. 

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 03:18 PM »
P695 at Astro Robinson's Galleria. There is a new P695 sticker covering the original price sticker of P895. 

Thanks, dude :)

Offline kingkydoo

• Collector
  • DVD Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 07:06 AM »
Medyo OT:

Is the DTS track DTS ES or DTS 6.1? It depends what kind of HT setup you have.

I have a 5.1 setup and sometimes, pag nag-switch ako sa  DTS 6.1 or DTS ES track na hindi rated sa setup ko, it comes off na parang walang difference siya sa Dolby 5.1 na track. I've heard this "non-difference" between Dolby and DTS with my Lord of the Rings DVDs and most recently, with my Pan's Labyrinth DVD.

What's your setup?

Back to topic:

Actually, I'm using DTS 2.0 which my pioneer DV-400 can output. Gusto ko lang malaman kung DTS talaga yung War of the Worlds R3, para alam na rin ng ibang may gustong bumili ;D

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 04:15 PM »
Actually, I'm using DTS 2.0 which my pioneer DV-400 can output. Gusto ko lang malaman kung DTS talaga yung War of the Worlds R3, para alam na rin ng ibang may gustong bumili ;D

It should be in the language selection menu. Since you have the disc you can check if there are any options for "DTS". ;) If none, then there is no DTS and that's a misprint on the DVD case.

Unless, of course, you mean to ask if the DTS signal itself is really DTS. In that case, I don't know  ;D

Offline ravel

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 05:02 PM »
guys, meron bang may alam ng no. ng Astro Podium?  Just wanna ask them if they have some titles I'm looking for, wala na kasi sa ibang napuntahan ko dito sa QC.  Thanks in advance.

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #69 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 05:41 PM »
 ;D Astroplus
The Podium
4th Level
ADB Ave, Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong City
Tel No. 633-4523 · 687-7411
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline ravel

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 06:13 PM »
Ayuz!  Many thanks Juric!

Offline kingkydoo

• Collector
  • DVD Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 08:26 PM »
It should be in the language selection menu. Since you have the disc you can check if there are any options for "DTS". ;) If none, then there is no DTS and that's a misprint on the DVD case.

Unless, of course, you mean to ask if the DTS signal itself is really DTS. In that case, I don't know  ;D

Yes sir, may DTS option sa menu. I selectd it, but I can't hear any noticeable difference. Or is it just me?

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 01:09 AM »
Yes sir, may DTS option sa menu. I selectd it, but I can't hear any noticeable difference. Or is it just me?

Already gave you my answer to this ;D But if you really want to know maybe you can ask some of the guys over at the HT setup thread  ;)

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #73 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 03:52 PM »
You said dts 2.0 which is a downmix, may i ask of your using a ht setup or just tv speakers for your comparison?

Offline kingkydoo

• Collector
  • DVD Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 08:52 AM »
You said dts 2.0 which is a downmix, may i ask of your using a ht setup or just tv speakers for your comparison?

The pioneer DV-400 has a DTS 2.0 down mix feature. I am only using 2 speakers (50w RMS) but with a stereo amp.
The DVDp does the encoding.

Huwag naman TV speakers lang!  :D

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #75 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 10:55 AM »
There you have it  :P

How can you tell the difference,when it's the DVD player that processed the audio, and downmixed it to analog output.  :'(

You'll have to utilize a coaxial or optical cable attached to an amplifier capable of decoding the DD/DTS mix, and once you have the proper equipment, you'll probably know the difference we were all talking about. 8)
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007 at 10:57 AM by Alfie »

Offline kingkydoo

• Collector
  • DVD Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 05:28 PM »
There you have it  :P

How can you tell the difference,when it's the DVD player that processed the audio, and downmixed it to analog output.  :'(

You'll have to utilize a coaxial or optical cable attached to an amplifier capable of decoding the DD/DTS mix, and once you have the proper equipment, you'll probably know the difference we were all talking about. 8)

Yes, the DVD player is the one processing the audio. Since it's capable of processing DTS audio even through 2 speakers only (DTS 2.0), it doesn't need digital cables (because the DVDp is the one processing, AV reciever not needed to process DTS).

I think analog signals can still process DTS.

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #77 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 05:36 PM »
That's the reason why you cannot tell the difference. ;)

Get a good amplifier, or borrow one, and you'll know what we are all talking about,since you have to experience it to know it. ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007 at 05:37 PM by Alfie »

Offline kingkydoo

• Collector
  • DVD Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 08:30 PM »
No sir, what I meant was that you don't need a co-axial or optical cable (digital) to hear the DTS encoding, since the pioneer DV-400 was the one processing the DTS 2.0 signal through analog cables (No need for a receiver). ;D Of course unless your talking about surround sound (5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1). I'm only asking about the quality of sound from the DTS feature, not the surround effects.

BTW, I'm using a stereo amp that's powering a pair of floorstanders. I've been using it for music and movies. 2 channel lang nga, but it's powerful enough even without a sub.  ;)

Anyway, OT na tayo. :)

I would just like to know if the War of the Worlds R3 DVD that I bought during the sale is "real" DTS or not.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007 at 08:40 PM by kingkydoo »

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 01:28 PM »
No sir, what I meant was that you don't need a co-axial or optical cable (digital) to hear the DTS encoding, since the pioneer DV-400 was the one processing the DTS 2.0 signal through analog cables (No need for a receiver). ;D Of course unless your talking about surround sound (5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1). I'm only asking about the quality of sound from the DTS feature, not the surround effects.

BTW, I'm using a stereo amp that's powering a pair of floorstanders. I've been using it for music and movies. 2 channel lang nga, but it's powerful enough even without a sub.  ;)

I would just like to know if the War of the Worlds R3 DVD that I bought during the sale is "real" DTS or not.

Yes, it is real DTS.  What is specified in the package is what you get.  The thing is in some instances, the Dolby Digital 5.1 and the DTS will sound almost identical.  Again, it will depend on the Audio equipment that you are using.  In my case, I tried to listen to it again in my Yamaha HT setup (before I responded to you) to compare the DTS and the DD 5.1.  The DTS has a more smooth and powerful effect.  The dialogue in the front speakers is more crisp and clear.  The bass effect is also stronger in the DTS.  Both, however, are top notch quality and, shall I say, one that can be used for demo.

Here are some reviews on the audio of War of the Worlds to further prove my point:

dvdmg.com -

When I examined the Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 soundtracks of War of the Worlds, I found both to work very well. However, the DTS mix seemed noticeably stronger. I’ll discuss it first and then detail the reasons I preferred it to the Dolby track.

The soundfield presented an active and lively piece that constantly engaged the five main speakers. The film showed distinctive imagery throughout the movie that placed different auditory elements accurately within the spectrum and meshed them together nicely. Music provided strong stereo imaging, and effects popped up from the appropriate locations. Quieter scenes displayed natural ambience, while the many action set pieces involved engrossing and vibrant imaging. It became tough to pick a favorite sequence, but the opening attack probably remained my favorite due to the sheer impact of its chaos.

Audio quality also seemed positive. Speech consistently appeared natural and crisp, and I noticed no issues related to edginess or intelligibility. Music sounded bright and dynamic as the DVD neatly replicated the score. Effects packed a nice wallop when necessary, as these elements seemed clean and distinct at all times. Bass response came across as deep and tight, and the low-end added a good layer of depth and oomph to the package. This was a soundtrack to challenge your subwoofer, as it really administered a heavy punch. I thought this was a consistently amazing soundtrack that earned a rare “A+”.

Why did I prefer the DTS mix over the Dolby track? Because it created a more involving and smooth experience. At times, the Dolby soundfield could be a little awkward and “speaker-specific”, at least in comparison to the way the DTS edition blended its elements. I noticed transitions more obviously when I listened to the Dolby version. Also, bass response was stronger for the DTS track. The Dolby mix came across as a little wan by comparison.

Please note that these flaws only became apparent due to those comparisons. If you solely listened to the Dolby track, you’d probably think I was nuts because it sounded great. However, it just didn’t match up with the incredible DTS audio, and I thought the difference was substantial.

dvdauthority.com
[/b]

One thing that �War of the Worlds� does excel at is the sound. I listened to the DTS soundtrack and on more than one occasion had to turn it down. There are some subtle effects that come through the surrounds, but the major effects are in the subwoofer channel. I don�t think I�ve had my room shake like that in a while. There�s nothing to over the top about how this sounds, as we�ve never had alien invaders before it�s kind of hard to replicate what we think that sound might be like, ya know? The disc also includes a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack that sounds nearly as good as the DTS. Suffice it to say the disc gets an �A� in this department.

So there.  Again, to answer your question.  Yes, War of the Worlds DTS is real and not, uhhh, pirated....

Offline kingkydoo

• Collector
  • DVD Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 02:09 PM »
Yes, it is real DTS.  What is specified in the package is what you get.  The thing is in some instances, the Dolby Digital 5.1 and the DTS will sound almost identical.  Again, it will depend on the Audio equipment that you are using.  In my case, I tried to listen to it again in my Yamaha HT setup (before I responded to you) to compare the DTS and the DD 5.1.  The DTS has a more smooth and powerful effect.  The dialogue in the front speakers is more crisp and clear.  The bass effect is also stronger in the DTS.  Both, however, are top notch quality and, shall I say, one that can be used for demo.

Here are some reviews on the audio of War of the Worlds to further prove my point:

dvdmg.com -

When I examined the Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 soundtracks of War of the Worlds, I found both to work very well. However, the DTS mix seemed noticeably stronger. I’ll discuss it first and then detail the reasons I preferred it to the Dolby track.

The soundfield presented an active and lively piece that constantly engaged the five main speakers. The film showed distinctive imagery throughout the movie that placed different auditory elements accurately within the spectrum and meshed them together nicely. Music provided strong stereo imaging, and effects popped up from the appropriate locations. Quieter scenes displayed natural ambience, while the many action set pieces involved engrossing and vibrant imaging. It became tough to pick a favorite sequence, but the opening attack probably remained my favorite due to the sheer impact of its chaos.

Audio quality also seemed positive. Speech consistently appeared natural and crisp, and I noticed no issues related to edginess or intelligibility. Music sounded bright and dynamic as the DVD neatly replicated the score. Effects packed a nice wallop when necessary, as these elements seemed clean and distinct at all times. Bass response came across as deep and tight, and the low-end added a good layer of depth and oomph to the package. This was a soundtrack to challenge your subwoofer, as it really administered a heavy punch. I thought this was a consistently amazing soundtrack that earned a rare “A+”.

Why did I prefer the DTS mix over the Dolby track? Because it created a more involving and smooth experience. At times, the Dolby soundfield could be a little awkward and “speaker-specific”, at least in comparison to the way the DTS edition blended its elements. I noticed transitions more obviously when I listened to the Dolby version. Also, bass response was stronger for the DTS track. The Dolby mix came across as a little wan by comparison.

Please note that these flaws only became apparent due to those comparisons. If you solely listened to the Dolby track, you’d probably think I was nuts because it sounded great. However, it just didn’t match up with the incredible DTS audio, and I thought the difference was substantial.

dvdauthority.com
[/b]

One thing that �War of the Worlds� does excel at is the sound. I listened to the DTS soundtrack and on more than one occasion had to turn it down. There are some subtle effects that come through the surrounds, but the major effects are in the subwoofer channel. I don�t think I�ve had my room shake like that in a while. There�s nothing to over the top about how this sounds, as we�ve never had alien invaders before it�s kind of hard to replicate what we think that sound might be like, ya know? The disc also includes a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack that sounds nearly as good as the DTS. Suffice it to say the disc gets an �A� in this department.

So there.  Again, to answer your question.  Yes, War of the Worlds DTS is real and not, uhhh, pirated....

Now that's what I wanted to hear! ;D Thanks sir. Actually, I had a hard time comparing the DD to the DTS track, since I can't hear not much audible difference. Maybe it also depends on the scenes. ;)

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 02:32 PM »
Now that's what I wanted to hear! ;D Thanks sir. Actually, I had a hard time comparing the DD to the DTS track, since I can't hear not much audible difference. Maybe it also depends on the scenes. ;)

Your welcome. Be happy with your purchase. Panalo yan 2 disc na yan.

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #82 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 05:12 PM »

AFIAK, r3 dts titles are legit.  You won't really hear any audible difference on a stereo set up sir :)  Dts/DD  tracks for movies  are meant to be heard in 5.1 or 6.1 discrete channles for you to enjoy it. Floorstanders pala  hehehehe sorry po tao lang :)  OT  na nga....Sale ba this weeked sa Podium? Thanks

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 09:36 PM »
AFIAK, r3 dts titles are legit.  You won't really hear any audible difference on a stereo set up sir :)  Dts/DD  tracks for movies  are meant to be heard in 5.1 or 6.1 discrete channles for you to enjoy it. Floorstanders pala  hehehehe sorry po tao lang :)  OT  na nga....Sale ba this weeked sa Podium? Thanks

50% off ang mga boxsets.  Just bought Lost Season 2 and Grey's Anatomy Season 2  ;)

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 10:47 PM »
One time, I saw the James Dean DVDs ( all 3 of the 2 disc editions ) with a P275  sticker so I immediately grabbed all three!  However, at the back of my mind, this might be a mis price.  True enough, the cashier told me that it's not P275 but P350.  I still got them anyway.

Things like these happen.  Miscommunication is a fact of life.  People get confused.  What will all the sales happening around!  How many times have you seen a title on sale in one store and selling at regular price in the store right beside it? 

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.  That's the way it is.  Let's just be happy with all the DVD sales and price discounts going on.  It's dizzying, confusing sometimes yeah.  But I think this is more exciting than not having any sales at all?  That would be utterly lifeless and boring.

However, it is my belief that if the store makes a mistake, they must make up for it.  I don't think its right that people will be excited about buying something thinking its a good buy.  Tapos pag-abot sa counter mali pala ang presyo.  Honest mistakes are honest mistakes pero if you are the guy who has lined up to pay you're almost forced to still buy the items otherwise, lalabas kang kuripot.  Problema pa kung sakto lang cash mo.  The embarrassment that will be caused the customer has to be considered by the establishments.  They have to live up to whatever mistakes they make.

Offline r_Y_@_n

• DVD Addict
  • andre marcus
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 11:17 PM »
50% off ang mga boxsets.  Just bought Lost Season 2 and Grey's Anatomy Season 2  ;)

how much did you get LOST S2 sir? what about LOST S1? TIA!  ;)

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #86 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 11:26 PM »
sa Astro Podium lang b ang ng50% sa viva boxsets? saang branch pa meron? ndi ko na naabutan un grey's anatomy s2 sa Podium e.. :(

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 11:45 PM »
how much did you get LOST S2 sir? what about LOST S1? TIA!  ;)

Lost S2 is down to PhP 1500 from PhP3000.  Same with Lost S1.  Go hurry to get your copy na!  ;)

Offline r_Y_@_n

• DVD Addict
  • andre marcus
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 11:54 PM »
Lost S2 is down to PhP 1500 from PhP3000.  Same with Lost S1.  Go hurry to get your copy na!  ;)

thank you sir!  ;)  will try to pass by this weekend...  :D

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Oct 13, 2007 at 01:58 AM »
sa Astro Podium lang b ang ng50% sa viva boxsets? saang branch pa meron? ndi ko na naabutan un grey's anatomy s2 sa Podium e.. :(

What time ka pumunta bro?  Ako ata nakakakuha nung last copy nila... kung inabot mo ako.. baka pinaubaya ko na lang sa yo.. kasi di pa naman ako ganun ka-desidido that time eh.