Author Topic: Any concrete plans on HD broadcast in the Phils.?  (Read 15668 times)

Offline DVDGamer

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Any concrete plans on HD broadcast in the Phils.?
« on: Sep 30, 2007 at 12:35 PM »
Not sure where to post this or how to query discussions on the same.  But are there any concrete plans at all on having HD signal/broadcast in the Philippines?  Is Sky Cable or some other company working to make this happen? Any timetabe?

Thanks!

Offline gearhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
Re: Any concrete plans on HD broadcast in the Phils.?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 03:26 PM »
 ;D you would have better luck upgrading to the BD/HD-DVD camp to satisfy your hi-def itch. HD as u know it will be years away. what is in the pipeline is more like ED-Digital, and that will still be a long ways off. Sky offers digital cable (still SD though) but only in very limited areas.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 06:49 PM »
Wowowee on HD?  Noontime shows on HD?  TV patrol, GMA and other local news on HD?  Pinoy Big Brother on HD?  Telenovelas on HD?  Chris Aquino on HD?  Local TV ads on HD? 

Anyone interested?

Personally, I'm not.  There's probably a good HD case to be made of PBA games, but apart from that, no dice.  Local broadcasting can remain where it is for all I care.  It will go digital eventually, but still on SD.  Only because broadcasting equipment will be digital and would make theirs obsolete if they didn't.   ;D  Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2007 at 06:54 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 08:44 AM »
With the majority of the market still on CRTs+SD, commercially it might not make any sense.  If however all source material from producers,etc. were to be in HD form, then we might not have a choice except to upgrade as well. But if HD source can be displayed in SD crt tubes....then there really won't be a need for HD broadcasts locally. 

We've got a population that aren't too discerning when it comes to picture quality.  When f*ke DVDs became widely available, there were still larger lines with f*ke VCDs.  Now that f*ke VCDs are almost gone, the poor quality 10-in-1 DVDs (which really are VCDs) are the ones people are getting.

I'm going to say 5-10 years (closer to 10) before we even see HD broadcasts become widely available locally.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 08:58 AM »
The HD infrastructure is not justifiable at this time or simply not applicable due to the market. 10 years from now is considered very optimistic. I'd say it's more like 20 years? ;D

Today, many consumers are still embracing VCD & satisfy with them. While others that have seen DVD quality...it's like God send na... ;D

Meanwhile, those who appreciate & hunger for HD contents HD DVD & BD is the only option other than the expensive & rare HD satelite dish.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2007 at 09:05 AM by pchin »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 10:50 AM »
Wowowee on HD?  Noontime shows on HD?  TV patrol, GMA and other local news on HD?  Pinoy Big Brother on HD?  Telenovelas on HD?  Chris Aquino on HD?  Local TV ads on HD? 

I personally would like to see the co-host of Wowowee (Ms. Concepcion) in HD.   Chris Aquino - pass :)

Malamang mauna pang magkaroon ng local HD shows/movies in HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray than broadcast.  Meron naman sigurong HD cam si Gabby Lopez no?  :) :)

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:57 AM »
actually, the road to digital isn't really that far off. digital broadcast equipment is getting more affordable now than their analog counterpart, aside from them getting phased out in the market. you can hardly find any new analog mixing console in new recording studios. it had long been dominated now by digital mixing consoles and DAW's (digital audio workstation) that are easily programmable and re-configurable. easily 100 or so channels can be compressed in less than 2m console.

now going HD is another matter and another way of doing things (i'm talking broadcast here, not post-prod). the bitrates needed to fully implement it would necessitate a total overhaul of the whole system. the expense to go from 4:3 to say 16:10/16:9 widescreen would necessitate a major leap in production cost also. think of the stage or the set that needs to be expanded to accomodate the wider camera perspective. also, in SD we can make do with a not so perfect newsdesk for example, with a few chips or paint smudges here and there. that would be fairly obvious in HD. mike enriquez and vp noli will hate HD in that respect, higher resolution, if u get what i mean.  ;D

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 09:16 PM »
If one private company or cable companyy can afford to offer 1 or 2 HD channels as a start why not? They can then charged a certain amount to whoever wants to try the HD channels. They can start with Discovery HD and maybe HBO HD.

I remember when HD started here in the US, I only got 3-5 HD channels on cable. Discovery HD was the popular one at home because of it's great and interesting HD programs. It was my "demo" channel to friends and visitors back in the days.  ;D  HBO and Showtime HD were also good for the hi-def movies. ESPN with their HD broadcast of sports games. After a year or two, the local channels in HD came on air with their OTA HD broadcast.
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:48 PM »
This topic was already discussed in the gma/abs-cbn thread, if i'm not mistaken. Just to refresh some points there, GMA and ABS-CBN are both planning to roll out digital broadcasts by 2010 or 2012. They've already applied for the necessary permits with the NTC and plans are being undertaken to migrate to the new technology ASAP.

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 02:12 AM »
don't remember if i have read or posted in that particular thread... but i guess that would be more on digitalization. the TS here is more specific in his query... that is, hidef (HD) broadcast. though one may be a subset of the other, hidef content being digital... digital may not necessarily mean HD.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 08:02 AM »
Correct.  Right now I am subscribed to satellite (digital) TV here in Tokyo and all 84 channels are SD (but crystal clear SD with the exception of TFC).  My high def channels are subscribed separately through NHK.

Offline chingko

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 09:04 AM »
http://www.filipinasoul.com/abs-cbns-digital-tv-test-broadcast-a-success/

http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/entertainment/entertainment/view_article.php?article_id=87487

In the US, several networks send 4 SD broadcasts to one channel (the 4 different programs can be watched using sub channels) during the day then switches to 1 HD signal during the evening for the primetime shows.
All that's needed is a regular antenna UHF/VHF and decoder (external box or built-in to the TV).
Exactly what ABS-CBN is doing now with their pilot communities, at least the
digital SD part, but the foundation for HD is there.  P2000 for the decoder box, not bad.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 09:47 AM »
Exactly what ABS-CBN is doing now with their pilot communities, at least the digital SD part, but the foundation for HD is there. P2000 for the decoder box, not bad.

Good to hear that. Probbaly HD will arrive sooner than we thought. I don't mind subscriping if they have good HD channels such as Discovery HD, HBO HD, etc since my wifey watch lots of TV programs :)

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2007 at 11:40 AM by pchin »

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 11:37 AM »
yes... i have better hopes for it arriving on cable than OTA coz programs are available for it. as i've said, it's a major infrastructure overhaul to go HD for local programming... so it will still be a long ways off.

Offline DVDGamer

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 01:45 AM »
This topic was already discussed in the gma/abs-cbn thread, if i'm not mistaken.

Do you have links to this gma/abs-cbn thread?  Or links to other similar discussion? 

Thanks.

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 08:05 AM »
Yup, i read in one of the NTC mandate, forgot where hehehe That by 2015, the medium of broadcast for all Television Network here in the Philippines should be digital. They however did not mention that it has to be HD. But why would we switch to digital if we are not gonna go HD? Might as well stay in SD.

Still, I also heard (as mentioned above) that ABS CBN and GMA7 are already testing their Digital Broadcast over at high frequency as to test their capabily. and from what i heard they plan to start rolling this out even before 2015. Say 2010 or 2012.  ??? I hope someone can confirm this? Anybody from GMA or ABS engineering here?

:P

But its good news huh!  ;D

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 09:15 AM »
I would imagine going digital is the easy part.  It's going HD that'll necessitate major infrastructure investments by broadcasters so expect that to take a while. HD requires so much more bandwidth that the current equipment just don't have.  If I have to guess, I'd say we will lag by 10 years behind the USA on HD broadcast, hopefully shorter.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 01:46 PM »
I would imagine going digital is the easy part.  It's going HD that'll necessitate major infrastructure investments by broadcasters so expect that to take a while. HD requires so much more bandwidth that the current equipment just don't have. 

anyone with a few years invested in related fields in broadcasting, plus an in-depth knowledge of digital basics, can design an entire HD infrastructure, from acquisition to transmission (with the budget of course).

the thing i'm not too excited about is the acquisition part. there had been a migration to the consumer level equipment, like the PD150/170's, and computer-level software & equipment for post-production... but to really take advantage of the higher bandwidth offered by HD, everything in the chain should be broadcast quality. dapat sa acquisition pa lang, maganda na. kasi ang purpose ng digital is to preserve nga yung quality ng material. eh kung yung source pa lang palpak na, what more can we expect from the final product. so, what is there to be excited about?

there really has to be a paradigm shift in the industry away from the traditional way of doing things. as it is, we're at the crossroads of the convergence of broadcast and IT, and so we have guys who have lived their life in broadcasting but are not too well-versed in the digital domain... and on the other side are IT guys who're also not familiar to broadcast specific needs. ayaw naman natin kumuha ng mga foreign consultants who have cut their teeth in both this field.

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 03:34 PM »
Yup, i read in one of the NTC mandate, forgot where hehehe That by 2015, the medium of broadcast for all Television Network here in the Philippines should be digital. They however did not mention that it has to be HD. But why would we switch to digital if we are not gonna go HD? Might as well stay in SD.

Still, I also heard (as mentioned above) that ABS CBN and GMA7 are already testing their Digital Broadcast over at high frequency as to test their capabily. and from what i heard they plan to start rolling this out even before 2015. Say 2010 or 2012.  ??? I hope someone can confirm this? Anybody from GMA or ABS engineering here?

:P

But its good news huh!  ;D

The NTC's mandate is to switch all TV broadcasting to digital by 2015.  However, it's all up to the broadcaster if they will be broadcasting in SD or HD, so it all depends if the broadcaster (ABS-CBN, GMA, and others) will see any benefit of going HD before they will do so.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 10:04 AM »
2015 seems rather ambitious if not totally ignorant on the part of the NTC.

Japan has been having digital broadcast for 10 years now, and currently has one of the most advanced infrastructure for digital broadcast, and one of the highest percentage in terms of household ownership of a "digital" TV.   The switch to 100% digital broadcasting starts in July 2011.  All analog TVs in stores are clearly labeled with information about the impending switch to digital system by 2011 to warn prospective buyers that such TV would be practically obsolete by 2011.   

Philippines on the other hand has nearly zero actual implementation of digital broadcasting, yet they think they make the switch in 2015???  Who's planning these things?
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2007 at 10:09 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 07:43 PM »
2015 seems rather ambitious if not totally ignorant on the part of the NTC.

Philippines on the other hand has nearly zero actual implementation of digital broadcasting, yet they think they make the switch in 2015???  Who's planning these things? 

nice one there, clondalkin.   :D

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 08:16 PM »

ABS-CBN will start DTV broadcasts in Mega Manila beginning January 2008

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:06 AM »

Terrestrial?
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2009 at 11:24 AM »

haha! one year ago today. still no DTV broadcast.

and again, that's SD TV (480i/480p), not HDTV. we've still not even gotten around to what would be implemented here if ever, 720p/1080i/1080p. we're still on the choice whether to go European (DVB) or American standard (ATSC).
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 21, 2009 at 03:22 AM »
Philippines to have HDTV broadcasts after all, via Cignal Digital TV

Di nga lang natin sigurado if they really mean "HD." ;D

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #25 on: Apr 21, 2009 at 11:31 AM »
Tinawagan ko ang Cignal ....Kailangan ko rin kasi ng set top box when I get my Monitor ..

As of now the set top box is only composite output so pag nagkaroon ng HD papalit ka ng set top box nila , pero may upgrade plan naman  pero wala pang details ..

Offline ricochet315

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 07:34 AM »
any updates? thanks
Always Do The Harder Right And Not The Easier Wrong

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 02:14 PM »
ABS-CBN DTV Budget - 1 Billion/Year

Capital spending this year was set at P2.5 billion, P1.7 billion of which will be used to boost signal transmission and upgrade production equipment. The rest will finance film rights acquisition, ABS-CBN chief finance officer Rolando Valdueza said in a briefing Tuesday.

“That doesn’t include the amount needed for our DTT (digital terrestrial TV) service, which was estimated to hit P1 billion a year for the next five years,” Valdueza said.

http://business.inquirer.net/money/topstories/view/20090414-199346/ABS-CBN-2008-profit-up-9

GMA Network - 200 Million

GMA Network Inc has earmarked P200 million to test digital television, a company official said Tuesday.

GMA executive vice president and chief operating officer Gilberto Duavit Jr said the amount is part of the capital expenditures worth P673 million that the company has set for the second half of the year.

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/55889/GMA-Network-earmarks-P200M-to-test-digital-TV

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 02:17 PM »
TV GOES DIGITAL: KAPAMILYA TEST RUN IN MAY
By Bayani San Diego Jr.
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 05:31:00 03/25/2009

FIRST, THE MOVIES. Now TV is going digital, too.

ABS-CBN is gearing up for the big switch from analog to digital television, according to Charo Santos-Concio, network president and chief operating officer.

“In May, the network is launching a test run in Pampanga,” she told Inquirer Entertainment in an exclusive interview.

The network is distributing digital boxes to a random sampling of households in the Central Luzon province, Concio explained. “The test run will allow us to get feedback from viewers, too. That will help us determine viewer preferences. Do they want another Filipino movie channel? A men’s channel? A channel for children?”

She added: “Going digital means a frequency will be able to accommodate 12 channels. At present, there are 12 channels on both the VHF and UHF bands. In other countries, there are over 500 channels. Eventually, viewers can also have video-on-demand.”

More channels could result in innovation, content-wise, Concio said. “A network can go into niche programming. We don’t have to service the mainstream all the time. We can address very specific markets.”

A network that’s not catering to the masses can more easily expand its programming, she said. “A channel can take more risks.” This has happened in the US, she noted. “Cable shows like ‘Sex & the City,’ ‘Six Feet Under’ and ‘Entourage’ won at the Emmys. It’s the future of television.”

The medium needs to evolve with the fast-changing times, Concio said. “In the US, even major networks’ audience shares have decreased, with the advent of competing media like the Internet and mobile entertainment.”

Further, she said, going digital, which is mandated by the government (deadline is 2015), could also mean more jobs in the broadcast industry.

“It can spell good news to independent filmmakers and content providers,” she said.

Right now, the main concern is formulating the rules. “The National Telecommunications Commission [has yet to decide] whether we will follow the European, American or Japanese standard,” said Concio.

She added: “We are also conducting a price sensitivity study for the digital boxes. In other countries, the government purchased them.”
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2009 at 02:18 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 02:22 PM »
Monday, 16 March 2009
European broadcast standard (DVB) recommended for Philippines

THE second technical working group (TWG) tasked to pick a Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) technology standard for the country has recommended to adopt Europe’s Digital Video Broadcast Handheld or DVB-H platform.

This reiterates the recommendation made by the first TWG—whose members include the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas, Philippine Information Agency and 48 broadcasting firms—in 2006. That group also said the European standard should be adopted for Philippine use.

When a new commissioner stepped in a year later, a second TWG was formed and its membership was expanded to include the National Economic and Development Authority, Department of Trade and Industry, Commission on Information and Communications Technology, and the Department of Science and Technology.

http://businessmirror.com.ph/component/content/article/52-technology/7546-european-broadcast-standard-recommended-for-philippines.html

Philippines - new DTT service in the pipeline
2 March 2009

Manila - A new digital terrestrial television service provider in the Philippines, All Asia Broadcast Systems Inc, plans to spend nearly US$2 million to launch its service, the Business Mirror reports.
In a filing with the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC), All Asia Broadcast said it expects to earn about US$15.8 million during the first five years of operation from the establishment of a digital TV station in Metro Manila.

[highlight]All Asia Broadcast plans to start with four DVB-TÂ transmitter sites in the National Capital Region.[/highlight]

Although the Philippines has traditionally adopted US technical standards in broadcasting, the company said it expected more broadcast companies in the Philippines to adopt the European DVB-T standard as it addresses the multipath problems associated with reflections from varying terrains and manmade structures.
The company is waiting for the NTC to allocate frequencies which it expects to be between channels 21 and 51.

http://www.onscreenasia.com/article-4507-philippinesnewdttserviceinthepipeline-onscreenasia.html

Philippines moves closer to DVB-H
Chris Forrester   
17-03-2009

[highlight]The Philippines will be adopting Europe’s digital transmission DVB standard[/highlight] for its future broadcasting needs. The decision, anticipated for some time, was confirmed by the nation’s second Technical Working Group (TWG), which further investigated the options available, and ratified the initial study which favoured DVB.

This latest investigation examined Japan’s ISDB standard as well as the USA’s Advanced Television Standard, but came down in favour of the DVB system with the primary reason being the low-cost availability of set-top converter boxes.

NTC Deputy Commissioner Jorge Sarmiento said the TWG also conducted a comparative analysis study on the adoption of either a “single standard” or an “open standard” policy, including the socio-economic aspects of such migration, comments from the broadcasting operators and the cost of the digital boxes.

But the recommendation has yet to be approved by the country’s NTC. “The commission is in the process of studying and deliberating on the different DTT standards that would be chosen for adoption in the country. When approved, the target date of the full implementation would be at the end of 2015,” said Sarmiento.

He added the NTC may move further the December 31, 2015, target date for the mandatory shifting of all analog broadcast to DTT technology. “The technical working group, which includes the NTC, is still not yet sure whether or not to implement on the scheduled date or postpone the 2015 deadline given the socio-economic impact of the implementation,” he said.

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/200903173387/philippines-moves-closer-to-dvb-h.html

DVB Country Count = 72
ATSC Country Count = 6
ISDB Country Count = 2
(Japan & Brazil only)

source: http://dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_worldwide/index.xml

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2009 at 02:30 PM by Mr. Big Boy »