Author Topic: Audio Technica AT-PL120  (Read 19116 times)

Offline tarsi

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Audio Technica AT-PL120
« Reply #30 on: Oct 11, 2009 at 04:18 PM »
ang pogi bro hehehe congrats  ;D

im also listening to mine right now ;)

add ko lang. presenting the m97xe.  ;)

isa pa. from the front. 8)

and from the top. thanks to bro. jen for the nice original technics headshell.  ;D

alignment is stevenson's, as with the original technics overhang gauge (52mm).

Offline gearhead000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Oct 11, 2009 at 04:39 PM »

im also listening to mine right now ;)

you mean the A/T PL-120? or the shure m97xe cart?

anyway, some more of my cart stash... this time the m99e.  ;) as i've said, it
came with an old technics turntable i acquired a long time ago, from which i
also got the rubber mat i am using right now with the AT-PL120, in lieu of the
felt mat that came bundled with it.

there was a time i mistook it for an m92e, albeit silver-bodied. recommended
replacement stylus for it is the n104e though, in lieu of the n99e. it's good that
the n92e stylus (as shown) had been quite a nice fit also.

and the complimentary top view. i don't plan of actually using this though. i'm
fine with the m92e and m97xe combo for now.

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2009 at 02:09 AM by gearhead000 »
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline tarsi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 12:19 PM »
i meant the 97xe mounted on my dual table sir. :)

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 12:34 PM »
ah! what i really like about this cart is it's not tiring to listen to. it may not be as open sounding as the others but full-bodied and still detailed just the same... and the brush is really effective in more ways than one.
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2009 at 11:48 AM by gearhead000 »

Offline tarsi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 10:48 AM »
what brush? ;D ;D ;D i prefer not using it. to be honest with you, i used to hate how my 97xe sounded in my system and almost sold it to a friend. another friend, accastil, even described the sound like listening with the speakers turned away from you  ;D ;D ;D. this used to be my secondary cart next to my MC one and almost very seldom listened to. but nowwwww.....after some very small modification in my system, it is now like the holy grail of carts to me  :D :D :D (no violent reactions please)................pending the arrival of my new AT MM cart of course ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2009 at 10:47 PM by tarsi »

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 11:56 AM »
what brush? ;D ;D ;D i prefer not using it. to be honest with you, i used to hate how my 97xe sounded in my system and almost sold it to a friend. another friend, accastil, even described the sound like listening with the speakers turned away from you  ;D ;D ;D. this used to be my secondary cart next to my MC one and almost very seldome listened to it. but nowwwww.....after some very small modification in my system, it is now like the holy grail of carts to me  :D :D :D (no violent reactions please)................pending the arrival of my new AT MM cart of course ::) ::) ::)

yes, i have read that... and i can understand his reaction. but then, it really needs synergy with the whole system and proper setup too. the first time i mounted it, i got lucky and hit the sweet spot immediately. i had been swapping headshells with it lately and i can hear changes in the aural delivery when the mounting isn't optimum. really have to be patient in setting it up properly.

i tried with the brush down/ brush up and i can't really detect any sonic differences, and since i know the brush was there for a purpose i just opted to use it always.

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #36 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 12:36 PM »
Hi Tarsi,

What particular modification made your M97xe sing?

Thanks and regards,
Joey

what brush? ;D ;D ;D i prefer not using it. to be honest with you, i used to hate how my 97xe sounded in my system and almost sold it to a friend. another friend, accastil, even described the sound like listening with the speakers turned away from you  ;D ;D ;D. this used to be my secondary cart next to my MC one and almost very seldome listened to it. but nowwwww.....after some very small modification in my system, it is now like the holy grail of carts to me  :D :D :D (no violent reactions please)................pending the arrival of my new AT MM cart of course ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2009 at 12:37 PM by JoeyGS »

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #37 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 01:08 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS, Joey! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 14, 2009 at 01:13 PM »
thanks, bro. jen. and thanks again sa technics headshell and hassle-free transaction.   ;)

Offline tarsi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 15, 2009 at 12:08 PM »
hi joey,

i mounted the 97xe on my dual table which has a straight low mass type tone arm since it was initially mounted in my sl1200. replaced my power tubes with a quad winged c (el34), the 12ax7 by a pair of GEs (not sure what particular model since hand me down lang and medyo burado na ung print sa glass) and the 12 au7 with a 5814A.

TO MY EARS (and the wife's ;D), i like the outcome. deeper bass, lusher mids, added high extension and this it what i liked most...wider soundstage. all of these plus the retained overall clarity. though i could still use a little more sparkle in the highs dept.

the thing is, before the changes, the midrange is so pronounced which most of the time makes listening to rock/wave LPs unbearable and almost lifeless.

how does your m97xe sound in your set-up?

Hi Tarsi,

What particular modification made your M97xe sing?

Thanks and regards,
Joey

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2009 at 12:11 PM by tarsi »

Offline tarsi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 15, 2009 at 12:18 PM »
good for you bro it took me some time to finally like this cart. i was even experiencing slight sibilance with it. but now this cart is getting the playing time it deserves. :D :D :D

yes, i have read that... and i can understand his reaction. but then, it really needs synergy with the whole system and proper setup too. the first time i mounted it, i got lucky and hit the sweet spot immediately. i had been swapping headshells with it lately and i can hear changes in the aural delivery when the mounting isn't optimum. really have to be patient in setting it up properly.

i tried with the brush down/ brush up and i can't really detect any sonic differences, and since i know the brush was there for a purpose i just opted to use it always.

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 15, 2009 at 12:45 PM »
as i said, when swapping it to another headshell... i had it aligned using the Stevenson protractor. this also corresponds to the technics overhang gauge which i don't have. but i measured the needle tip to collar distance and it is exactly 52mm with the protractor same as what you will get with the gauge. also, the mounting screws are smack dab in the center of the slot.

the thing is i could detect a lot of distortion when playing loud whether in the inner or outer groove. this isn't what i heard upon my initial setup... as i said i hit the sweet spot during my first mounting. the Shure M92 is fully forward in the slot as it was aligned thru the Baerwald protractor, and i couldn't detect those kind of distortion. so what i did was move the cart unit slightly forward, and voila... much less distortion and the sound is now more open and sweet. from the correct point in the protractor, i can see it moved like about 1-2mm, which makes it now 53-54mm from the collar. i remember this to be the same distance when i mounted it initially.

you can try it too, but if you're already contented now... maybe just enjoy the music more.   :D

anyway, here's the link to the protractor i am using if you don't have it already:

KWillis Universal Accutrak Protractor Version 2 PDF Format
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM by gearhead000 »

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 15, 2009 at 05:35 PM »
Hi gearhead,

I am pretty successful utilizing the Baerwald - Technics Protractor.  Download it at vinylengine.com.  Please take note that when you print the protractor do not 'scale to fit'.. It should be printed in actual size.

Regards,
Joey

as i said, when swapping it to another headshell... i had it aligned using the Stevenson protractor. this also corresponds to the technics overhang gauge which i don't have. but i measured the needle tip to collar distance and it is exactly 52mm with the protractor same as what you will get with the gauge. also, the mounting screws are smack dab in the center of the slot.

the thing is i could detect a lot of distortion when playing loud whether in the inner or outer groove. this isn't what i heard upon my initial setup... as i said i hit the sweet spot during my first mounting. the Shure M92 is fully forward in the slot as it was aligned thru the Baerwald protractor, and i couldn't detect those kind of distortion. so what i did was move the cart unit slightly forward, and voila... much less distortion and the sound is now more open and sweet. from the correct point in the protractor, i can see it moved like about 1-2mm, which makes it now 53-54mm from the collar. i remember this to be the same distance when i mounted it initially.

you can try it too, but if you're already contented now... maybe just enjoy the music more.   :D

anyway, here's the link to the protractor i am using if you don't have it already:

KWillis Universal Accutrak Protractor Version 2 PDF Format

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Oct 15, 2009 at 05:38 PM »
My m97xe has a big soundstage, tight bass, lush mids, and the highs are a bit dark or warm. The highs lack extension.  Overall, its sound warm and non-fatiguing.  A friend of mine has a different experience where extended highs were pronounced, and this is due to the use of the Aikido phono preamp.

hi joey,

i mounted the 97xe on my dual table which has a straight low mass type tone arm since it was initially mounted in my sl1200. replaced my power tubes with a quad winged c (el34), the 12ax7 by a pair of GEs (not sure what particular model since hand me down lang and medyo burado na ung print sa glass) and the 12 au7 with a 5814A.

TO MY EARS (and the wife's ;D), i like the outcome. deeper bass, lusher mids, added high extension and this it what i liked most...wider soundstage. all of these plus the retained overall clarity. though i could still use a little more sparkle in the highs dept.

the thing is, before the changes, the midrange is so pronounced which most of the time makes listening to rock/wave LPs unbearable and almost lifeless.

how does your m97xe sound in your set-up?

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 15, 2009 at 08:20 PM »
i mounted the 97xe on my dual table which has a straight low mass type tone arm since it was initially mounted in my sl1200.

so that's what with your preference for the brush up configuration. this has a high compliance cantilever which goes well with that low mass tonearm.

replaced my power tubes with a quad winged c (el34), the 12ax7 by a pair of GEs (not sure what particular model since hand me down lang and medyo burado na ung print sa glass) and the 12 au7 with a 5814A.

wow... probably really nice to listen to. congratz.   :)
i am more easy to please. i am still using my pl-120's built-in phono pre.   :-[

Offline nizmo

• DVD Guru
  • i'm new here.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #45 on: Oct 16, 2009 at 03:35 PM »
My m97xe has a big soundstage, tight bass, lush mids, and the highs are a bit dark or warm. The highs lack extension.  Overall, its sound warm and non-fatiguing.  A friend of mine has a different experience where extended highs were pronounced, and this is due to the use of the Aikido phono preamp.

hi brader joeyGS
if you are looking for a cart with highs extended... try the gold ring 1012gx ;D
though it hasn't soundstage as big as the m97xe. 1012gx seems to be well esp in pop/rock/newwave.

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 16, 2009 at 04:28 PM »
Thanks Fr Jim for the tip.  However,  If i were to upgrade, I might as well get a cart with both big soundstage and extended highs.  Ipon lang muna.

hi brader joeyGS
if you are looking for a cart with highs extended... try the gold ring 1012gx ;D
though it hasn't soundstage as big as the m97xe. 1012gx seems to be well esp in pop/rock/newwave.

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Oct 16, 2009 at 04:38 PM »
Thanks Fr Jim for the tip.  However,  If i were to upgrade, I might as well get a cart with both big soundstage and extended highs.  Ipon lang muna.

,,,and what cart should that be??  ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Oct 16, 2009 at 05:32 PM »
Naku madami yan...ayoko pang isipin....ipon muna. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline nizmo

• DVD Guru
  • i'm new here.
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Oct 16, 2009 at 05:52 PM »

palagay ko kabayang jen.... Audio Technica  Cart ;D ;D :o :o

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Oct 16, 2009 at 07:57 PM »
Naku madami yan...ayoko pang isipin....ipon muna. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ano nga?? :D :D :D :D :D Paki-PM naman...hehehe!

PS: Naka-try ka na ng: Audio Technica AT-F3?? Tsaka Denon DL-103, DL-103R, DL-110, DL-109???

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Oct 16, 2009 at 07:57 PM »
palagay ko kabayang jen.... Audio Technica  Cart ;D ;D :o :o

Father, eh ang dami mo kayang cart, tapos dami mo ring TT!! :D

Offline nizmo

• DVD Guru
  • i'm new here.
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Oct 16, 2009 at 08:35 PM »

PS: Naka-try ka na ng: Audio Technica AT-F3?? Tsaka Denon DL-103, DL-103R, DL-110, DL-109???

mali pala ako.... di pala nag-iipon ng pambili ng cart,
nag-iipon pala ng cart si joeyGS ;D ;D ;D

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Oct 17, 2009 at 06:58 AM »
Meron an pong F3......Denon siguro....puwede

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Oct 17, 2009 at 06:59 AM »
HIndi naman.....looking for the right match lang po  ;D

mali pala ako.... di pala nag-iipon ng pambili ng cart,
nag-iipon pala ng cart si joeyGS ;D ;D ;D

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Oct 17, 2009 at 09:47 AM »
i'm playing donna summer right now... and i wouldn't say mcarthur's park and hot stuff sound unexciting with the m97xe. "bad girls" sounded, well... really BAD (in a nice way of course). ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2009 at 09:49 AM by gearhead000 »

Offline retro12195

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #56 on: Oct 17, 2009 at 02:24 PM »
i'm playing donna summer right now... and i wouldn't say mcarthur's park and hot stuff sound unexciting with the m97xe. "bad girls" sounded, well... really BAD (in a nice way of course). ;D
sorry for the OT. try SILVER CONVENTION :o
Luxman L430 Denon DL 110 Yamaha YP 700c Paradigm M7V3
B&W OPPO ONKYO 636 Mission

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Oct 17, 2009 at 02:55 PM »
sorry for the OT. try SILVER CONVENTION :o