Author Topic: PSB SPEAKERS OWNER SPEAKS OUT...  (Read 242174 times)

Offline sgxp

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PSB SPEAKERS OWNER SPEAKS OUT...
« Reply #30 on: Oct 04, 2010 at 09:14 PM »
Heard and heart B5.  Disappointed with T6 despite the excellent reviews, maybe not yet broken in?
gumby>h80>mod. ip360 / yggy>joti>mod. hd650

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #31 on: Oct 04, 2010 at 11:19 PM »
Will audition PSB Image B6 and Polk RTiA3 this week. Any feedbacks from the B6 or B5? Planning to buy the fronts first. Will be using Onkyo 608.

The B6 bookshelves are warm-sounding, but are fairly detailed. I think they churn out the best mids in this price range. Vocals and strings are absolutely lovely when these speakers are matched well.

The A3 speaks have more snap and bite, which may help if you like playing dynamic material.

Offline beginner

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Oct 05, 2010 at 01:17 AM »
I'm currently using the PSB Image B6 with a CA 550A/C. The midrange can outperform almost any speaker at this price-level. Coupled with decent highs and enhanced lows, the B6 brings out the warmth in music even when matched with a CA. When I bought this pair, listening to the audiophile voices CDs gave me a different perspective of how good vocals would sound, but still with the minute details my ears crave for.

Offline cls

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 05, 2010 at 02:15 PM »
Just auditioned the B6. I really impressed with the clarity and bass. A lot better than Alpha imo. Medyo pricey nga lang so leaning towards B5 :) Next audition would be the Rti :)

Offline 1great

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #34 on: Oct 05, 2010 at 08:24 PM »
I have T55 and T45 with Stratus C5 Center.

Very good for movies and music.

Kaya lang di ko mamaximize kasi Pioneer VSX-518 lang receiver ko at hindi ko pa malakasan at kinakatok kami ng kapitbahay namin lalo na ng maikabit yung PSB Subsonic 6i sub ng kasama ko sa bahay.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 06, 2010 at 10:55 AM »
Just auditioned the B6. I really impressed with the clarity and bass. A lot better than Alpha imo. Medyo pricey nga lang so leaning towards B5 :) Next audition would be the Rti :)

Yup, malayo talaga siya sa Alpha. It's significantly better than the prior Image series din. The drivers are derived from the Imagine line (same crossover topology and frequency din), but the new Image leans towards warmth (versus the neutral-sounding Imagine speaks).

I think they're excellent speakers for the price. :)

Offline cls

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 06, 2010 at 01:46 PM »
Thanks for your inputs. Same price nga din sa RTIa3. Just have to audition the polks for comparison. Question... Malaki ba difference ng B5 sa B6? Medyo mas mura din kasi ;D. Plan ko lang 4 BS, 1 Center, and 10in sub.
Yup, malayo talaga siya sa Alpha. It's significantly better than the prior Image series din. The drivers are derived from the Imagine line (same crossover topology and frequency din), but the new Image leans towards warmth (versus the neutral-sounding Imagine speaks).

I think they're excellent speakers for the price. :)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 06, 2010 at 07:25 PM »
Thanks for your inputs. Same price nga din sa RTIa3. Just have to audition the polks for comparison. Question... Malaki ba difference ng B5 sa B6? Medyo mas mura din kasi ;D. Plan ko lang 4 BS, 1 Center, and 10in sub.

Maganda rin yung B5, but you lose some volume. Kung di naman malaki yung room, then it probably won't be an issue (especially kung di mo naman isasagad). The B6 can also cross lower without causing response anomalies (about 10Hz lower), if that matters to you (the B5 will still do the standard 80Hz without issues).

Match mo na lang sa C5 center and B4 surrounds siguro. :)

Offline cls

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 06, 2010 at 07:38 PM »
Thats good to know. Medyo maliit lang room ko. Approx 20-30 sq m. and high celing nga lang. I was thinking of just getting the C4 instead of the C5 tapos B4 for surrounds. Hopefully maka audition na ko ng rti this week so i can decide narin.

Maganda rin yung B5, but you lose some volume. Kung di naman malaki yung room, then it probably won't be an issue (especially kung di mo naman isasagad). The B6 can also cross lower without causing response anomalies (about 10Hz lower), if that matters to you (the B5 will still do the standard 80Hz without issues).

Match mo na lang sa C5 center and B4 surrounds siguro. :)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 06, 2010 at 08:21 PM »
Thats good to know. Medyo maliit lang room ko. Approx 20-30 sq m. and high celing nga lang. I was thinking of just getting the C4 instead of the C5 tapos B4 for surrounds. Hopefully maka audition na ko ng rti this week so i can decide narin.

Daan ka lang kila Marc (AV Shop) dito sa Katipunan kung malapit ka. :) Madalas naman may RTi sila. Mababait mga tao dun.  ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2010 at 08:22 PM by Stagea »

Offline cls

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 06, 2010 at 10:42 PM »
Ok.Thanks :)
Daan ka lang kila Marc (AV Shop) dito sa Katipunan kung malapit ka. :) Madalas naman may RTi sila. Mababait mga tao dun.  ;)

Offline cls

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 29, 2010 at 09:42 AM »
Finally got the B6. What amp can you suggest? I loved it paired with nad. Now i want to know if cambridge audio 740a goes well with the psb. Too bad 5th ave doesnt carry psb. Has anyone heard of ca+psb combo?

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 29, 2010 at 11:49 AM »
Finally got the B6. What amp can you suggest? I loved it paired with nad. Now i want to know if cambridge audio 740a goes well with the psb. Too bad 5th ave doesnt carry psb. Has anyone heard of ca+psb combo?

I have Imagine Ts coupled with the 840C/840E/840W. They work great, but if you prefer the PSBs with NADs, the sound with CAs would be quite different. :)

Beginner (Razel) has a pair of B6es hooked up to the 550C/550A.

It's best if you can bring your speakers to 5th Ave to test (to know for sure if it fits your preference).
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2010 at 11:54 AM by Stagea »

Offline cls

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Oct 29, 2010 at 01:16 PM »
Thanks Stagea for your inputs. I just want to try other amps so I can compare with nad. How do you find the ca+psb? Im not familiar with audio terms but is the bass punchy? warm sounding din ba? Would the 740a be too much for a small room? (23 sqm).
I have Imagine Ts coupled with the 840C/840E/840W. They work great, but if you prefer the PSBs with NADs, the sound with CAs would be quite different. :)

Beginner (Razel) has a pair of B6es hooked up to the 550C/550A.

It's best if you can bring your speakers to 5th Ave to test (to know for sure if it fits your preference).

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 29, 2010 at 02:25 PM »
No, my system is neither warm nor punchy. CAs are generally not warm-sounding. They're fairly neutral-sounding gear, imho. PSB Imagine speaks also do not share the obvious warmth that's in the Image line. Aside from these, the smaller drivers and enclosures make the Imagine speaks less vulgar with the lows, so that answers the reason why it's not punchy. :) Sure, it can punch harder than many other systems (having enough power on tap), but it does not have a heavy-handed character at all.

If you want some warmth, you might be better-served by the 650C/650A, if you're looking at Cambridge Audio models. The x50 models have a noticeably fuller sound when compared to the x40 series products. The greater dynamic reserve also allows them to deliver more weight, if needed. Contact Beginner if you'd like some tips with coupling the current PSB Image products with the CA x50 units.

Offline cls

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 31, 2010 at 03:00 PM »
Hi Stagea. Just came from 5th ave and brought my b6. I was able to hook em up with the 550a and 650a. I found the 2 amps to be on the bright side compared to the nad 315/326.The exterior was really nice though :). I listened to Rush, Primus, and Clapton. I guess its going to be nad-psb combo then. Will there be a big difference if i pair the nad 326 with the ca 550/650c? read some negative users reviews from the net the other day re nad cd players. Anyone here using nad amp+ca cpd?

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 31, 2010 at 05:05 PM »
Hi Stagea. Just came from 5th ave and brought my b6. I was able to hook em up with the 550a and 650a. I found the 2 amps to be on the bright side compared to the nad 315/326.The exterior was really nice though :). I listened to Rush, Primus, and Clapton. I guess its going to be nad-psb combo then. Will there be a big difference if i pair the nad 326 with the ca 550/650c? read some negative users reviews from the net the other day re nad cd players. Anyone here using nad amp+ca cpd?

I'm glad to hear that you have found the match that you want.

Yes, NAD CDPs sound quite different from CA CDPs. Instead of the 740C, the C565BEE might be the CD player that you're looking for. :) It's also an upsampling player with a s/pdif input.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2010 at 02:49 AM by Stagea »

Offline cls

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 01, 2010 at 10:19 PM »
I think the 565bee is around 30k+. My budgets 25k for the cdp. When I went back to Watts hifi to listen to the b6-nad combo again, I noticed that they were using rega cables while 5th ave were using the thinner cables(i think generic).Is this one of the reasons why the CA 650 sounded thin/bright to me? Ang ganda din kasi ng exteriors ng CA eh. hehe
I'm glad to hear that you have found the match that you want.

Yes, NAD CDPs sound quite different from CA CDPs. Instead of the 740C, the C565BEE might be the CD player that you're looking for. :) It's also an upsampling player with a s/pdif input.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 02, 2010 at 09:47 PM »
I think the 565bee is around 30k+. My budgets 25k for the cdp. When I went back to Watts hifi to listen to the b6-nad combo again, I noticed that they were using rega cables while 5th ave were using the thinner cables(i think generic).Is this one of the reasons why the CA 650 sounded thin/bright to me? Ang ganda din kasi ng exteriors ng CA eh. hehe

You were considering the 740C kasi, that's ~43k srp. That's why I was under the impression that you were looking at that range. The C565BEE's SRP is ~37k ata.

The CA sound is brighter and more forward than the NAD sound, it's not designed to be warm or lush. It's a fast and detailed sound.

If you don't like the sound of gear, I suggest not to buy it. Wires may help you tweak, but it won't make a CA cdp/amp sound like a NAD pair.

Offline cls

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 03, 2010 at 11:24 AM »
Sorry my bad. I was eyeing the 650a not the 740a. Anyway, Will try to bring 326bee and B6 sa 5th ave and pair with 650c. Will see... Thanks Stagea for the help  :)

Offline himura001

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 03:09 AM »
Just got y PSB Image b6. Don't know if this is compatible with my pioneer VSX 919AH-K, but I'am enjoying the clarity and neutral sound of the speaker. I would like to thank Sir STAGEA and Master Nelson for the advices on  the speaker selection and subwoofer subject.  ;D

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 03:52 AM »
Just got y PSB Image b6. Don't know if this is compatible with my pioneer VSX 919AH-K, but I'am enjoying the clarity and neutral sound of the speaker. I would like to thank Sir STAGEA and Master Nelson for the advices on  the speaker selection and subwoofer subject.  ;D

Congrats with the new pair sir. :) Those are very very capable speakers for the price.

Offline himura001

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 03:54 AM »
Thanks for the advice sir!  ;D

Offline aepaguinaldo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Mar 03, 2011 at 06:55 PM »
NAD + PSB is sweet

Offline 1great

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Mar 03, 2011 at 07:03 PM »
NAD + PSB is sweet
Match made in Heaven ... as they are from the same owner. ;D

In fact the latest PSB Subwoofers (SubSeries 300 & SubSeries) utilize NAD Amplifiers to power them. ;)

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Mar 04, 2011 at 07:15 AM »
@ Sir cls

re: cdp

if pre-owned is an option, you might want to consder the Arcam CD73T posted in the marketplace for 14K. To my ears the CD73T is a nice, warm, smooth refined sounding CDP. The local distributor (AVDI) used to sell them at 50K srp. And if you really prefer NAD, I believe Sir reymer is selling a C542 for 11K.

Good luck on your CDP hunt!

On PSB speakers

I've recommended to friends here in Nueva Ecija Image series speakers (one got the older B1, while the other got the more recent T45, B15 and center speaker) and they really sound great at their rpice point.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2011 at 07:19 AM by romymartinez »

Offline cls

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Mar 04, 2011 at 07:26 AM »
Thanks sir romy for the suggestions. I already got the nad 545 a few months ago. Another satisfied nad and psb owner:)
@ Sir cls

re: cdp

if pre-owned is an option, you might want to consder the Arcam CD73T posted in the marketplace for 14K. To my ears the CD73T is a nice, warm, smooth refined sounding CDP. The local distributor (AVDI) used to sell them at 50K srp. And if you really prefer NAD, I believe Sir reymer is selling a C542 for 11K.

Good luck on your CDP hunt!

On PSB speakers

I've recommended to friends here in Nueva Ecija Image series speakers (one got the older B1, while the other got the more recent T45, B15 and center speaker) and they really sound great at their rpice point.

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #57 on: Apr 01, 2011 at 09:18 PM »
I'm finally a PSB owner! I got PSB Image B-4 to match with my Dayton DTA-1. I'm actually using this combo to watch cable TV since the sound of the current LCD's are quite pitiful. From my Skycable Digibox I connected the RCA out to the Dayton amp. The sound is wonderful!

The Christian Bautista CD box is there to isolate the Dayton amp from the heat of the Digibox!  ;D
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Apr 01, 2011 at 09:39 PM »
I'm finally a PSB owner! I got PSB Image B-4 to match with my Dayton DTA-1. I'm actually using this combo to watch cable TV since the sound of the current LCD's are quite pitiful. From my Skycable Digibox I connected the RCA out to the Dayton amp. The sound is wonderful!

Hi Conan! Nice to have met you kanina sa Watt Hifi. I'm really happy na ok ang resulta. Kanina, mukha ngang ninenerbyos ka kung maganda nga tunog sa setup mo.  ;D ;D ;D

Ang ibang member dapat sumunod sa iyo!  :)
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #59 on: Apr 01, 2011 at 09:43 PM »
Hi Conan! Nice to have met you kanina sa Watt Hifi. I'm really happy na ok ang resulta. Kanina, mukha ngang ninenerbyos ka kung maganda nga tunog sa setup mo.  ;D ;D ;D

Ang ibang member dapat sumunod sa iyo!  :)

Nice meeting you too sir Streetsmart!  ;D Actually two members have already gave my idea a shot with good results.  :)
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60