Author Topic: Asian Idol  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Asian Idol
« on: Nov 25, 2007 at 12:02 AM »

Philippine Idol winner Mau Marcelo represents the country in Asian Idol, and is up against winners of Indonesian Idol, Indian Idol, Singapore Idol, Vietnam Idol and Malaysian Idol. Winners will be selected by text voting. We may be the SMS capital of the world, but can we possibly outvote the Indian population?  ???

The show airs for three nights on ABC-5, their farewell to the franchise before it jumps ship to GMA-7:

December 8 (or 9?): The Road to Asian Idol

December 15: Performance Night

December 16: Results Show

Official Website: http://www.theasianidol.tv
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2007 at 12:30 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline ESL

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Asian Idol
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 12:36 AM »
If it follows the format of World Idol, then the country of origin may not vote for their representative. And seeing how Filipinos seem to always win international singing contests, I say Mau has a good chance. Now, if only she quits being kengkoy.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 08:41 AM »
Checking out the rules, every country's total weighted vote count is the same, so if India gets 100 voting points spread out to all contestants, the Philippines also gets 100 voting points spread out to all contestants, and those totals will be added. Plus, every vote has to contain two names, so you must vote not only for your country, and bias is decreased. Interesting.

Every Idol will sing two songs, one in English and one in their native language. If Mau's handlers are smart, they have to let her sing Anak, since that song is really popular all around Asia and should generate votes for her.

Oh, Ryan Cayabyab was invited to be the Philippines' representative as judge, but he declined. So we're sending... Pilita:o

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 11:36 PM »
Checking out the rules, every country's total weighted vote count is the same, so if India gets 100 voting points spread out to all contestants, the Philippines also gets 100 voting points spread out to all contestants, and those totals will be added. Plus, every vote has to contain two names, so you must vote not only for your country, and bias is decreased. Interesting.

If you love the Philippines, then support Mau!! But wait!!! To give Mau an edge, we should choose the other idol coming from the least populated country like Singapore!!

Offline aligonzales

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 12:57 PM »
Voting Window: December 15, 2007  10pm to December 16, 2007 11:30pm (25.5 hours)

Voting mechanics:

1.Each voter in every country has to vote for 2 Idols within each SMS.
2.The voter cannot vote for the same Idol twice in the same SMS.
3.Unlimited voting.
4.Philippines voting syntax:   Type VOTE<space><Country1><Country2> send to 2959 for all telcos (Globe, Smart, Sun)
5.Participating countries and their respective keywords:
          Philippines/Mau Marcelo     =     PHIL
          Vietnam/Phu'o'ng Vy          =    VIET
          Indonesia/Delon Tharmin    =     INDO
          Singapore/Hady Mirza       =      SIN
          Malaysia/Jaclyn Victor      =      MAL
          India/Abhijeet Sawant       =     INDIA

Sample vote:

To vote for Mau of the Philippines and Hady of Singapore, type: VOTE PHIL SIN send to 2959 for all telcos. P2.50 for Globe and Smart subscribers, P2.00 for Sun.

Offline blitzkrieg

• DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 08:24 PM »
 ;D It's sad that not too many Filipinos know about this. Not even a single ad or billboard is placed to promote Mau's campaign and ABC5 is not doing anything about it to think it's a few sleeps away. I think we should all bond together to make MAU the first Asian Idol.. TELL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS ABOUT THIS!!

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 11:38 PM »
Either a lot of Filipinos vote in the Asian Idol site or Mau is really that famous  ::)  Check out the poll results!
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2007 at 12:18 PM by RNIverson »

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 02:34 PM »
let's ask our OFW friends in asian countries to vote for mau and either singapore or india!

Offline blitzkrieg

• DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2007 at 11:33 PM »
let's ask our OFW friends in asian countries to vote for mau and either singapore or india!

Well if they include India in their votes then Mau is doomed..India has a billion population and their representative is not really that impressive. Singapore's rep is really good..

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2007 at 12:19 AM »
Well if they include India in their votes then Mau is doomed..India has a billion population and their representative is not really that impressive. Singapore's rep is really good..

Good thing he won, cause honestly he's the only one who can really sing.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
Re: Asian Idol: Tonight (12/15/2007) on ABC-5!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2007 at 08:48 PM »
Wow, the Indian Idol judge gave Mau a standing ovation during his commentary on her performance. It was like seeing Australian Idol judge Mark Holden give a touchdown.

She's really in a different league compared to the other contestants. I wonder if she can get the votes, though.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2007 at 10:05 PM »
I just saw some of the performances. I can't believe that Singapore "idol" won in his country. Someone should tell him preening is not singing. He massacred U2!
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2007 at 10:09 PM by indie boi »

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2007 at 10:49 PM »
Believe me sir indie, the others would be more embarassing  ;D

Just curious, what time was the Asian Idol shown in the Phils? Cause it just started here in Singapore last 10pm.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2007 at 11:04 PM »
8-10 PM Manila Time.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2007 at 11:52 PM »
I just saw some of the performances. I can't believe that Singapore "idol" won in his country. Someone should tell him preening is not singing. He massacred U2!

Ok, he just finished his Beautiful Day performance. Now I understand when you said he massacred U2. I think it's not his type of song. And regarding Mau's performances, don't you think it weren't powerful enough? I'm not really a music critic so what would I know  ;D  So far we're impressed with the native song performance of the Indonesian Idol.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2007 at 12:18 AM »
If I'm neutral, I'm voting for MAL and INDO. But since I'm not...  ;D  PHIL and INDO/MAL  8)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2007 at 12:35 AM »
I only got to see the second performance of all the contestants. Yes, the Malaysian was awesome, I'm just bothered by her eyes -- she seems to be looking at everything except the audience. It was weirding me out because she feels so detached from everyone.

Mau's performance was underwhelming. She should have sung that second song a few keys higher.

Offline blitzkrieg

• DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
Re: Asian Idol: Results Show Tonight (12/16/2007) on ABC 5
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2007 at 10:09 AM »
Schucks! Failed to watch the performance night but thanks to youtube saw Mau's perf of "Ako ang Nagwagi". Indie is right it's underwhelming and underpitched but somehow it suited her voice. I just hope the Indian Idol Judge's standing ovation is persuasive enough to make India's gigantic population include Mau in their votes.

Already saw performances of the Malaysian Idol and she's indeed good. Trouble is more often she just wants to scream and shout and I'm not quite sure though if Asians would go for a belter as their Idol.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2007 at 11:58 AM by blitzkrieg »

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2007 at 10:38 AM »
FYI: The malaysian singer Jaclyn Victor lost to Vina Morales at the Asean Ikon a few months ago shown at RPN 9 thru judging & not by fan votes.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2007 at 12:56 PM »
What time is the results show? 8-10pm also?

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 12:18 AM »
Singapore's Hady Mirza  :o

I guess the forces of Singapore + Malaysia were enough the beat of all India  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2007 at 12:29 AM by RNIverson »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 12:29 AM »
Wow, that's two hours of my life I'm never getting back. What a result!

I think what happened was: Every country voted for their own contestant, and the one they felt was the worst singer, to shift things in favor of their own representative.

As such, the "he's so bad he can't possible win" contestant garnered all the "second votes"... and actually did::)

P.S. - That's the new singer of Rivermaya? He's quite bad. Mau probably actually lost potential votes as a result of that terrible duet they did.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 12:33 AM »
We were actually surprised to see a new vocalist. Why still call them Rivermaya  ???

And yeah, their duet was terrible  ::)

Offline blitzkrieg

• DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 10:51 AM »

As such, the "he's so bad he can't possible win" contestant garnered all the "second votes"... and actually did::)

Quite true, since voters avoided strong possible winners like Mike, Mau and Jac, to concentrate votes for their bets, they chose the 2nd idol whom they think was the "weakest" but eventually turned out to be the ploy's biggest beneficiary..

But in fairness, Hady Mirza is not a bad singer at all. I like the tonal quality of his voice and possesses charming looks and marketable qualities. So congrats na rin!

IMHO, MAU did not fail us Filipinos. She performed extremely well and her voice stood out and of course, she had that strong stage presence that obviously spooked other competing countries and their representatives. I was beaming with pride when she did "Reach" and when the Idol Judges appreciated her and predicted that she could emerge as winner. She really deserved being there and I could not imagine Jan Nieto and Gian Magdangal representing the Philippines in that competition.

CONGRATS MAU!!

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 03:04 PM »
hahaha, mukhang nag-backfire ang strategy natin... i voted for india...but seriously, i tried many times to vote on saturday after 10pm and sunday morning till afternoon. isang beses lang ako nakapasok even when i tried my dad's cellphone. laging 'service unavailable pls try again later' dayaaaa!!!!
but yeah, i would rather have mau lose to jac or mike na mas deserving!

but it's funny that we need an english song to bridge the language barrier among asians no? baka sa future, chinese na!