Author Topic: Question on hd discs storing/stacking  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2382
Question on hd discs storing/stacking
« on: Dec 23, 2007 at 07:41 PM »
Hello, just want to ask a question: Recently Ive switched storing/stacking my hd discs lying down (bottom to top) instead of upright (left to right). I can seem to store more per shelf with the discs lying down. My question is, with how small, closer distance of the case to the disc (thinner compared to dvds bigger cases ), and also the soft casing for these hd discs... Will the discs on the bottom pile get crushed/scratch/damage with the weight from above? Thanks for any input/thoughts

I wanna take care of these discs as much as possible..
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2007 at 07:46 PM by Moks007 »

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Question on hd discs storing/stacking
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 08:55 PM »
Stacking is still the best, walang masyadong pressure sa case and the discs. Kung piling, the case at the bottom of the pile might rub/squeeze on the disc. One of the problems of HD DVD discs are they are rather very fragile, and sensitive. A minor swath with a finger is enough to leave a mark. Unlike BD discs, which are impregnable to scratches, unless you really have the intention of really destroying it. Put the BD collection on the bottom kung ganon.
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2007 at 09:04 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2007 at 09:22 AM »
Stacking is still the best, walang masyadong pressure sa case and the discs. Kung piling, the case at the bottom of the pile might rub/squeeze on the disc. One of the problems of HD DVD discs are they are rather very fragile, and sensitive. A minor swath with a finger is enough to leave a mark. Unlike BD discs, which are impregnable to scratches, unless you really have the intention of really destroying it. Put the BD collection on the bottom kung ganon.

Thanks very much sir, ya I think mine is piled up to maybe 30 to 40 discs per column so the bottom end is heavy.

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2007 at 12:39 AM »
Hey thanks for the nifty tip Mouldingo; definitely useful when you really have limited disc storage "real-estate."  Just to add, I also chanced upon this discussion in one of the DVD Talk forums.  This pertains to the ideal storage of DVDs but I guess in some part, it may be applicable to HD discs as well.  Hope it's not considered OT but it may be relevant if you use it as a model.  ;)

In this DVD Talk thread, a member posted a 'definitive guide to proper handling and storage' a pdf file which is no longer available but someone posted some excerpts from the guide. Am not sure how well it's substantiated but provides another perspective for us as well.  :)

5.2.6 Flexing
Flexing (bending) the disc by any means, such as removing it from a jewel case or sitting on it, may harm the disc by causing stresses. The disc should be stored in its case and placed vertically, like a book, on a shelf. Long-term horizontal storage, particularly in a heated environment, can cause the disc to become permanently bowed. While the data may still be intact, the disc may not operate properly in the drive or permit the laser to follow the track. The maximum degree of fl ex (bend) or number of times a disc can be fl exed before it incurs damage is not known. To minimize the risk of damage, it is better to avoid fl exing discs.

5.1.6 Individual Disc Storage
For long-term disc storage, it may sometimes be prudent to remove the label insert or booklet from inside the case and attach it to the outside, perhaps in a sleeve. In theory, the paper can attract moisture and produce higher moisture content in the case. The paper may also spread moisture by contact with the disc. This recommendation is based on no specific tests of the effects of paper inside a case; it is merely a consideration—one that takes on added significance with large amounts of paper inside a disc case and higher-than-recommended humidity conditions.

Full thread HERE.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 08:18 AM »
Wow excellent post Marl1, thanks for the great info..I will redo all my discs storing...Happy new year.

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 09:56 AM »
Wow excellent post Marl1, thanks for the great info..I will redo all my discs storing...Happy new year.

hey thanks bro, glad you appreciate it.  well at the end of the day, one's stacking / storage would really depend on his space limitation but it would be good to know the pros & cons of the various stacking options.  better play it safe though  ;)

Happy New Year too bud!  :)