Author Topic: Dared MP5  (Read 40481 times)

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dared MP5
« on: Dec 24, 2007 at 08:23 PM »
whats a good upgrade for a stock dared mp5?

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
Re: Dared MP5
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2007 at 10:59 PM »
I suggest enjoy the stock version 1st...then maybe after after 3-6months, upgrade it...PM JojoD818 for details, thanks! Merry Christmas! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2007 at 01:04 AM »
hehe thinking of going at it na agad... had the whole today to listen to it.... looking for an upgrade to make it a little more warmer sa mids. thanks :)

Offline tcris

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 09:46 AM »
changed a pair of caps to auricap, didnt like the change in sound, so im placing the old caps back. was happy with the upgrade of 6n1 tube, changed mine with a NOS philips miniwatt, it smoothened the highs and made the mids fatter. i suggest tube roll first before changing other parts, you might already the sound you want

Offline swinger1979

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Swing me baby....
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 12:29 PM »
just want fatter mids and smoothened highs?
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2007 at 12:29 PM by swinger1979 »

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 10:41 AM »
it's actually a tube hybrid gainclone in a small package. it uses a single chip from SGS Thomson that contains both channels in one package. this is (most of the time) the limiting factor for the output power, not much chips out there with a lot of power in a single package. the tube frontend is a bit different but has very low gain nonetheless, much like a buffer for the chipamp.

very cute looking amp, sexy on the inside too.

Offline ches

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2008 at 09:16 AM »
hi ctlim superman is right try to enjoy it muna and get familiar with it, then after  maybe you can try to tube roll. There are some nos ecc85 tube sa tubedepot.com, but i haven't tried it yet.

sir jojo mahilig talaga kayo sa insides ha :)
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2008 at 08:06 AM by ches »

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 12:53 AM »
whats a good upgrade for a stock dared mp5?

You need to be familiar with the stock sound in order for you to appreciate the upgrades, heres my suggested step-by-step upgrades:

1. Change the stock tubes to NOS (if not yet happy proceed to 2)
2. Change the audio path caps to Auricap if you want extreme go with M-Cap Silver or silver gold (not yet contented)
3. Change Resistors to Kiwame or better (if not yet happy)
4. Change wirings using Silver wires a (not yet happy)
5. Change the whole thing ;D Time to upgrade your system
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline j_albert22

• DVD Guru
  • SARS LUMAYO KA
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 12:25 PM »
You need to be familiar with the stock sound in order for you to appreciate the upgrades, heres my suggested step-by-step upgrades:

1. Change the stock tubes to NOS (if not yet happy proceed to 2)
2. Change the audio path caps to Auricap if you want extreme go with M-Cap Silver or silver gold (not yet contented)
3. Change Resistors to Kiwame or better (if not yet happy)
4. Change wirings using Silver wires a (not yet happy)
5. Change the whole thing ;D Time to upgrade your system

Ayos kuha mo na lahat

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM »
My friend's Dared MP5...

sir jojo mahilig talaga kayo sa insides ha :)

lahat naman tayo yun ang hilig so let's see what's inside...  ;D

and of course, the gainclone...

:)

Offline ches

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 08:54 AM »
sir jojo thanks for posting the pics.

Offline dexxx316

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 08:32 PM »
hi,

just wanted to ask. i saw the dared mp5 in s&s last weekend. they sell it for 8.8k which i thought was a good price and the looks are good as well. however, i didnt get a chance to audition it thoroughly. need your opinion if these are worth purchasing because i have fairly newbie audio ears. based on the thread it seems that people arent too satisfied w the sound... or at least the sound using the stock tubes...tama ba ako??? thanks for any advice. :)

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 08:41 PM »
of course not. satisfied kami... makulit lang.  ;D

http://wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17665&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

read this.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 10:35 PM »
I don't recall anyone saying na pangit yun stock tubes, but replacing them with nos types will improve on an otherwise already good sound.

I strongly suggest that you audition it as stock, it may very well be more than enough for your needs (just a suggestion).  :)

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 09:23 AM »
hi,

just wanted to ask. i saw the dared mp5 in s&s last weekend. they sell it for 8.8k which i thought was a good price and the looks are good as well. however, i didnt get a chance to audition it thoroughly. need your opinion if these are worth purchasing because i have fairly newbie audio ears. based on the thread it seems that people arent too satisfied w the sound... or at least the sound using the stock tubes...tama ba ako??? thanks for any advice. :)

From what I read, the MP5 sounds very good even with stock tubes. :)

romymartinez

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 10:37 AM »
For best price to value ratio for Dared mp5 we suggest use of mundorf mcap or at most supreme.  Given the size of the amp i dont think the silver oil or silver gold will fit.  And it might even cost more than the amp.

Audio Amp also carries Dared MP5 for those interested :)  we can also do the upgrade for you.

umm... silver wires are kinda too extreeme

Offline dexxx316

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 06:39 PM »
Hehe. sorry. i must have misunderstood the thread. ;D did have a chance to surf for reviews and all are pretty wowed by it. especially for the value for money. will definately audition it longer next time around.  thanks

Offline vwbeetle

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 06:47 PM »
sir jojod

so its not really a tube amp is it...

Offline omeldoc

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 07, 2008 at 10:59 PM »
just curious, can you bridge the output of this amp?  ???

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 07, 2008 at 11:34 PM »
sir jojod

so its not really a tube amp is it...

It's not, it's more of a tube hybrid gainclone.  :)

just curious, can you bridge the output of this amp?  ???

No you cannot, unless you modify it.  :)

Offline highwayman

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #20 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 07:16 PM »
For best price to value ratio for Dared mp5 we suggest use of mundorf mcap or at most supreme.  Given the size of the amp i dont think the silver oil or silver gold will fit.  And it might even cost more than the amp.

Audio Amp also carries Dared MP5 for those interested :)  we can also do the upgrade for you.

umm... silver wires are kinda too extreeme

sir, how much would this upgrade cost? and what would be the sound benefit?

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 26, 2008 at 06:37 PM »
Just wondering,  any new twist/ mods/ updates on this amp? Is it still worth the hype before? Tnx  ::)

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 589
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 01:14 AM »
Sirs,

I've been into HT systems for so many years, but haven't ventured on tube amps or a hybrid such as the Dared MP5 .... after reading so many things and reviews about this amp, i'm itching to dip into this arena just to experience it.

I have a newbie question though before I start on this venture ... what kind of speakers are recommended for this amps? ... I currently have an HT setup using Denon 1909 AVR and Dali Concept 6 speakers for front - can this Dared MP5 be able to power the Dali Concept 6 speakers? (Following are the specs of the Concept 6 for your reference - Freq. Resp. 41-25,000Hz; Sensitivity - 91dB; impedance - 8 ohms; floor standing; recommended amp. power is 30-150W)

Another newbie question - The Dali Concept 6 speakers that I have have two terminal inputs ... does it mean that I can connect the speakers simultaneously to 2 different amplifiers? If that is the case, is there a risk of damaging the speakers or the 2 amps if accidentally switched-on at the same time?

TIA

Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 854
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 07:53 AM »
auditioned a Dared MP5 with my celestion floorstanders with a 92db sensitivity rating just recently. Yes it can drive the speaker to more than adequate levels given the size of my living room so im sure that it too can drive your Dali's however i would suggest that you dont wire it in such a way that both your HT receiver and tube integrated are both plugged in to the Dali. A lot can go wrong  :).  The MP5 is a hybrid and a pure SET setup will sound a lot different than the hybrid if you are looking for that tube sound. There is a second hand TS Audio 34.1 SET integrated being sold at Wiredstate for a great price. That integrated will outgun the MP5 in all aspects. I lived with that integrated for 2 years and up to now i do regret selling it here in PDVD. Look it up under the thread of Sig8 if im not mistaken.

Here is a review:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/norh_se9_e.html

welcome to tube based audio  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2008 at 07:59 AM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 589
« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 01:06 PM »
auditioned a Dared MP5 with my celestion floorstanders with a 92db sensitivity rating just recently. Yes it can drive the speaker to more than adequate levels given the size of my living room so im sure that it too can drive your Dali's however i would suggest that you dont wire it in such a way that both your HT receiver and tube integrated are both plugged in to the Dali. A lot can go wrong  :).  The MP5 is a hybrid and a pure SET setup will sound a lot different than the hybrid if you are looking for that tube sound. There is a second hand TS Audio 34.1 SET integrated being sold at Wiredstate for a great price. That integrated will outgun the MP5 in all aspects. I lived with that integrated for 2 years and up to now i do regret selling it here in PDVD. Look it up under the thread of Sig8 if im not mistaken.

Here is a review:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/norh_se9_e.html

welcome to tube based audio  ;D

Sir,

Thanks for the feedback ... I've been reading that the recommended specs for the speakers mostly mentioned the sensitivity, hence I made the inquiry on my previous post ... if wiring a speaker connected to 2 amps is not recommended, I'll probably just get dedicated bookshelf speakers for the Dared MP5 - any recommendations or speaker specs?
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline RastaSega

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 02:13 PM »
this is the thread I've been looking for!

i'm a veteran of the HTIB scene as well as car audio but VERY new when it comes to tubes and the finer things of audio.

I was able to audition these very briefly at SnS with Paradigm speakers. I'm sold!

i'm just about to get the MP-5 and I do have some questions:
1. What's the difference between a Class D amp (ie Trends T-amp) and a Class AB amp (mp5)?  In car audio terms we use class D for mostly mono sub amps.

2. sensitivity rating. The higher the better? I also observed they're usually more expensive. What is the lowest "allowable" (by your standards) should someone consider?

3. The USB slots indicate that this would be a good alternative to my Pc's Klipsch ProMedia 5.1. Given that I will use these as part of my new PC Speaker setup do you think this would be advisable? Will the relative proximity of the user to the speakers / monitor hinder the sound? Is this setup even advisable?

4. What brand new speakers would you recommend for this? Up to 5k? Up to 10k? 15K?

5. Interconnects. Would the stock ones last me awhile? Any recommendations on this?

6. There were reviews online that said it came with Sennheiser headphones. Is this true?

7. There are a couple of inputs. Obviously I want to connect it via USB to my PC, but what if I want to connect my ipod to it? Is there a switch somewhere for this or do I yank out the USB?

Lots of questions I know.. sorry.

I'm just so excited about this unit!

thanks for the replies!

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 04:05 PM »
this is the thread I've been looking for!

i'm a veteran of the HTIB scene as well as car audio but VERY new when it comes to tubes and the finer things of audio.

I was able to audition these very briefly at SnS with Paradigm speakers. I'm sold!

i'm just about to get the MP-5 and I do have some questions:
1. What's the difference between a Class D amp (ie Trends T-amp) and a Class AB amp (mp5)?  In car audio terms we use class D for mostly mono sub amps.

2. sensitivity rating. The higher the better? I also observed they're usually more expensive. What is the lowest "allowable" (by your standards) should someone consider?

3. The USB slots indicate that this would be a good alternative to my Pc's Klipsch ProMedia 5.1. Given that I will use these as part of my new PC Speaker setup do you think this would be advisable? Will the relative proximity of the user to the speakers / monitor hinder the sound? Is this setup even advisable?

4. What brand new speakers would you recommend for this? Up to 5k? Up to 10k? 15K?

5. Interconnects. Would the stock ones last me awhile? Any recommendations on this?

6. There were reviews online that said it came with Sennheiser headphones. Is this true?

7. There are a couple of inputs. Obviously I want to connect it via USB to my PC, but what if I want to connect my ipod to it? Is there a switch somewhere for this or do I yank out the USB?

Lots of questions I know.. sorry.

I'm just so excited about this unit!

thanks for the replies!

how much ang mp5 amigo? before you buy it, baka type mong mag audition ng totoong tube amp like AMX (Kinetic) sa Rob Pioneer? konting dagdag na lang may tube int amp ka na.  ;)

Offline RastaSega

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 04:51 PM »
9.8k - 10% cash discount

Offline RastaSega

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 07:51 PM »
I'm slightly considering the following speakers for the MP5:

1. Wharf 9.1
2. Mission V4 (although can't seem to find this model anywhere online)
3. Mssion M3(dami pala variations ng M3.. don't know which one )
4. Paradigm Atom (funny, online it's less than $200usd pero ang laki ng taas ng presyo dito unlike all the other speakers)

Can I have your thoughts on these?

thanks sa mga replies talaga! :)

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 07:56 PM »
Tested my 9.1 on an MP5, can fill a 3x3 meter room with gusto. Check mo lang muna kung magustuhan mo sound ng Wharfs or better yet try all of the speakers in your list with an MP5...