Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 493433 times)

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Filipino films
« Reply #120 on: Dec 16, 2002 at 09:19 AM »
Don't know if you've discussed this before, but my no. 1 question about Filipino films is:

Why does everyone talk that way?

Ibig kong sabihin, para bang nagtatalumpati. Hindi natural. I don't think I've seen any local film (haven't seen that many though) where someone talks like a normal human talks.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: Dec 16, 2002 at 12:15 PM »
Don't know if you've discussed this before, but my no. 1 question about Filipino films is:

Why does everyone talk that way?

Ibig kong sabihin, para bang nagtatalumpati. Hindi natural. I don't think I've seen any local film (haven't seen that many though) where someone talks like a normal human talks.

Why don't you try watching Minsan May Isang Puso. Kung magmura ang character ni Ricky Davao doon, hindi mo masasabing nagtatalumpati. Parang iyong kapit bahay nga namin, eh. Natural na natural.  :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #122 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 12:34 AM »
In Lav Diaz's films they usually don't talk much.

This is hard to pin down, actually.  I don't have the problem with films like Insiang (except the last scene) and with Maynila sa Kuko (last I remember it), and definitely not with Kisapmata.  But is a melodramatic mode, or speech style really fatal to a movie (in the case of Anita Linda talking about her career in Babae Sa Bubungang Lata, I'd argue it's intentional--she's from that period of moviemaking and most of her dialogue is patterend that way.  It's also one of the most moving scenes in the film--or in almost any recent film, for that matter).  

It might make you aware you're watching one, but I'd argue in a really strong film it doesn't matter anyway...

Have you seen the above movies?  What do you think of them  

Offline ason

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 12:38 AM »
Hi Noel! Just wondering, since youre a film guru, what do you think are Dekada 70's chances if ever it would be submitted as a Oscar Foreign Language entry by the Philippines? Sorry if I kinda deviated from your topic. Just couldnt help asking.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 12:52 AM »
That "guru" phrase was slapped under my name; I've been trying to change it to "film critic" for months, without much success.

I wouldn't know, I haven't seen the film.  I think the ones of the '70s--Insiang, Maynila sa Kuko, Kispamata--had an excellent chance.  Recent stuff I've been championing--Bubungang Lata, Pangarap ng Puso, Sisa, Kriminal ng Baryo Concepcion--wouldn't be as successful, due to production values, or lack of.  Segurista came closes, I hear, to being actually nominated, and THAT had a sensibility and production value.  

Batang West Side might be intriguing, but that depends if Oscar voters have the attention span to include a five hour film...

But the Oscars are a fools' game, I think; all awards are.  They're the result of negotionation and compromise, never the consideration of quality.  My position is, if a good film wins an award, that reflects well on the award, not the film; the publicity is going to a good cause, which rarely happens.

Offline ason

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 01:01 AM »
Have to agree about the Oscar bit about being a fool's game. But "No Man's Land"  this years winner was a credible choice. I just couldnt believe the Oscars is 70 years plus old and not a single Filipino movie has made any impact. Is there somekind of bias against Pinoys by their selective jury? Vietnamese films have even made a much better impression on them. Why can't we?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 01:53 AM »
Just look at Time Magazine's assessment of Asian films for the end of the millenium.  Not a single Filipino film.  

I don't know; I've got theories.  One of them being America loves to take its admirers and allies and fans' club members for granted, while enemies get due respect...

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 03:37 PM »
I dunno if this deserves a new thread, but let's talk about it here for now:

Metro Manila Film Fest 2002 Film Entries

So far, I know only of Dekada '70 and Mano Po.  Being that the book where Dekada '70 is based on is one of my favorite Pinoy books (though I don't read much anyway), I think I'm watching that.

Offline Lex Luthor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 05:28 PM »
I dunno if this deserves a new thread, but let's talk about it here for now:

Metro Manila Film Fest 2002 Film Entries

So far, I know only of Dekada '70 and Mano Po.  Being that the book where Dekada '70 is based on is one of my favorite Pinoy books (though I don't read much anyway), I think I'm watching that.

i think there's already a thread on this. check out the link below...

Noteworthy Filipino Films 2002/MMFF 2002 ENTRIES this XMAS

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 07:37 PM »
Yep, just saw it being bumped (thanks to Pheeb... este, Phobos).  Thanks, Lex!

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Dec 18, 2002 at 06:12 AM »
I have to go with rmn on Tobias' book.  The selection is inconsistent, the writing shallow, and he provides no insights into the films he's talking about.  

Got my copy of the Tobias' book today. I mostly agree with your observation but any book about Filipino movies is a welcome addition to my library. I have not seen too many books about our movies.

I like the movie stills in the book like the ones from Lino Brocka's Tubog sa Ginto showing Eddie Garcia and a very young Mario O'Hara. Wish there's more of those for the other movies.

The inclusion of two 'bomba' films from the '70s, Celso Ad Castillo's Nympha and Merle Fernancez' Uhaw, was a surprised.

Read the book, saw the list of One Hundred Acclaimed Tagalog Movies, now, where can we watch or rent these movies?  

I think that's one question the book should have provided.  :)

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #131 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 12:16 AM »
Any update on the next Joyce Bernal movie?  Or other noteworthy local films to watch out for?  

Except for the fact that it delayed the showing of LOTR: Two Towers, the MMFF (and its awards night controversy) actually did something good in that it got people (who normally don't patronize filipino films)  watching local movies again (Mano Po and Dekada, in particular), if only to participate in the Mano Po v Dekada debate.  

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Jan 26, 2003 at 04:19 AM »
Gil Portes' Mga Munting Tining (Small Voices) was one of the audience favorites at Palm Springs International Filmfest. Here's a portion of the article from Zap2it.

Scott Hamilton Kennedy's "OT: Our Town" won the Palm Springs International Film Festival's Audience Favorite Award.

Other Top 10 Audience Favorites, in descending order, are: "The Magdelene Sisters," directed by Peter Mullan (UK/Northern Ireland); "A Peck on the Cheek," directed by Mani Ratnam (India); "Touching Wild Horses," directed by Eleanor Lindo (England/Canada); "Nowhere in Africa," directed by Caroline Link (Germany); "Bánk Bán," directed by Csaba Kael (Hungary); "Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham," directed by Karan Johar (India); "Spellbound," directed by Jeff Blitz (USA), "Small Voices," directed by Gil Portes (Philippines); and "Mr. And Mrs. Iyer," directed by Aparna Sen (India).

For the complete article, here's the url:

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/story/0,1259,---15238,00.html

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Jan 28, 2003 at 12:22 AM »

excerpt:

20th anniversary

"Apocalypse Now Redux" followed the original movie's 20th anniversary in 1997. Now, through FLIP Magazine's Movie Club, "OPM" will be shown on Jan. 30, 6 p.m. at Greenbelt 3 to mark the classic's 20th anniversary. "It's not everyday that we come together to toast a Filipino movie," said FLIP publisher and editor Jessica Zafra. "But OPM is clearly one film that deserves to be commemorated. It raised the standards for Filipino films and, 20 years later, the public and the industry still look to the movie for guidance and inspiration." (read more...)

Offline sago

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Jan 28, 2003 at 12:56 AM »
"Apocalypse Now Redux" followed the original movie's 20th anniversary in 1997. Now, through FLIP Magazine's Movie Club, "OPM" will be shown on Jan. 30, 6 p.m. at Greenbelt 3 to mark the classic's 20th anniversary. "It's not everyday that we come together to toast a Filipino movie," said FLIP publisher and editor Jessica Zafra. "But OPM is clearly one film that deserves to be commemorated. It raised the standards for Filipino films and, 20 years later, the public and the industry still look to the movie for guidance and inspiration." (read more...)[/i]

tnx f0r the link ßa®tmaniac, i never th0ught i papalabas nila it0 ulit.  :)

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Jan 28, 2003 at 06:38 AM »
Noel,
Are you going to watch Oro, Plata, Mata on the 30th?
Are you going to post a full review afterwards?

Thanks.

rse

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Jan 28, 2003 at 01:15 PM »
Wasnt' invited.  Peque must've told Jessica how I felt.

Maybe.  But no article after.  Wasn't assigned.

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Jan 28, 2003 at 04:16 PM »
i noticed lang that most filipino film critics tend to exaggerate good filipino movies.  whereas pag foreign na, masyadong mataas ang expectations.

for instance, american adobo and mano po were poorly written and poorly acted (in my opinion as a viewer and as a communication major).  

may minamahal (aga and aiko) were realistic with their lines.  ito yung movieng hindi tumutula.

even then, movies in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s were far better than those that were shown recently.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2003 at 04:20 PM by diesel »
how can anyone love a pebble in their shoe?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Jan 29, 2003 at 06:00 PM »
What if Brocka and Bernal were still alive today...

Offline Lex Luthor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Jan 30, 2003 at 10:24 AM »
i noticed lang that most filipino film critics tend to exaggerate good filipino movies.  whereas pag foreign na, masyadong mataas ang expectations.

good point! seems like they have lower standards for Filipino films so the producers actually think they have done a good movie. i wouldn't be surprised that the industry will be producing more and more crap in the future.  ::)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Jan 30, 2003 at 09:38 PM »

excerpt:

20th anniversary

"Apocalypse Now Redux" followed the original movie's 20th anniversary in 1997. Now, through FLIP Magazine's Movie Club, "OPM" will be shown on Jan. 30, 6 p.m. at Greenbelt 3 to mark the classic's 20th anniversary. "It's not everyday that we come together to toast a Filipino movie," said FLIP publisher and editor Jessica Zafra. "But OPM is clearly one film that deserves to be commemorated. It raised the standards for Filipino films and, 20 years later, the public and the industry still look to the movie for guidance and inspiration." (read more...)

Batmaniac were you able to watch it? We went to Greenbelt but we were not able to watch it. It was for those who have invitations only.

What is the policy of Flip Cinema Club about their special screenings? Not open to the public?

Sayang....I considered it  as the best Filipino film of all time.
Any news on the dvd release?

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Feb 01, 2003 at 06:12 AM »
ABS-CBN holds the rights to Oro, Plata, Mata.

It is up to them, if they decide to make a Golden Age DVD or not.  I hope they do. :)

They also have the rights to Himala.
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Feb 01, 2003 at 06:51 AM »
Batmaniac were you able to watch it? We went to Greenbelt but we were not able to watch it. It was for those who have invitations only.

What is the policy of Flip Cinema Club about their special screenings? Not open to the public?

No I didn't.  

Where was it shown exactly?  I'm assuming the sceening was in GB3's MyCinema which has a small audience capacity ideal for private screenings.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Feb 01, 2003 at 07:15 AM »

No I didn't.  

Where was it shown exactly?  I'm assuming the sceening was in GB3's MyCinema which has a small audience capacity ideal for private screenings.

Yes, it was shown in Greenbelt Cinema. I'm not sure if it is in cinema 3.

My officemates and I were really not lucky enough because they said it was for those who have invitations only, I guess because of it's sitting capacity or they prefer only the VIP's.

I'm really eager to see it again on the big screen considering that this epic classic is now 20 years old and if it is remastered as Peque Gallaga dreamed for this movie.

Or is it the same print that I saw way back on the 90's during the World Cinema Centennial celebration held at Sm Megamall?

Best moments in this movie as I still remember: The opening party scene with classical music in the background, Batmaniac and JOeypogi, what music was used in that opening scene?  ???
The peeling of the "butong pakwan"  by the servants as Liza Lorena, Fides Asensio, Maya Valdez and Lorli Villanueva play mahjong in the mansion.
The pack-up scene or near the end of the plata section where the Lorenzo's and the Ojeda's knew that the Japanese soldiers are coming to the mansion, the tension moments are memorable especially the neurotic mother of Joel Torre bidding goodbye to the saints at the altar.
The exodus scene with the background of fields burning.
The massacre of some of the household when the 2 families hide in the forest.
Ang dami pa, di ko maalala yung iba.

To those who are lucky to watched it last Jan. 30, please share your ideas on that night about this epic masterpiece by Peque Gallaga.   8)
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2003 at 07:21 AM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Feb 05, 2003 at 01:24 PM »
Just watched Manila by Night (City after Dark) and I was so disapointed that I didn't bother to finish it.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 12:13 AM »
Manila By Night needs to be seen on the big screen...and even then, even with a pristine print, it can't compare to Mike De Leon's camerawork in Maynila sa Kuko (even on cable!).  

And Manila looks so clean in Manila By Night--actually a nice place to live in.  And the music, which was topical, dates it

But it's not the physical misery or the look that is the film's power; it's the misery and desperation and sheer nastiness of the characters, the witheringly sarcastic vision of Bernal that is the film's true greatness.  Not quite as easy to see as in Maynila, that greatness, but it's there if you care to give it a chance...

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 11:18 AM »
To those who are lucky to watched it last Jan. 30, please share your ideas on that night about this epic masterpiece by Peque Gallaga.   8)

The movie was shown chronologically, thank God! The copy they used was the last master copy that they (ABS CBN, I think) have. The color was mostly in magenta (according to JZ, I wouldn't be able to tell) and the sound was still OK. Right in the middle of the movie, the negatives got stuck and melted right before our shocked eyes. Well hello Mr. Murphy, your law stinks!

Edited to add:

Joe Dallesandro, I need to get in touch with you. I'm returning your tapes! PM me.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2003 at 11:35 AM by utoy »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 03:36 PM »

The movie was shown chronologically, thank God! The copy they used was the last master copy that they (ABS CBN, I think) have. The color was mostly in magenta (according to JZ, I wouldn't be able to tell) and the sound was still OK. Right in the middle of the movie, the negatives got stuck and melted right before our shocked eyes. Well hello Mr. Murphy, your law stinks!

Edited to add:

Joe Dallesandro, I need to get in touch with you. I'm returning your tapes! PM me.

Bro Utoy, swerte mo naman! How did you get the invitation? Are the cast and crew complete?

I only saw Peque Gallaga being interviewed on the t.v.

Are there discussions after the movie and what time did it start?

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 05:31 PM »
Bro Utoy, swerte mo naman! How did you get the invitation? Are the cast and crew complete?

I only saw Peque Gallaga being interviewed on the t.v.

Are there discussions after the movie and what time did it start?
Long story, short version, semi-OT.

No invitation, just sheer dumb luck. Like you, we were just outside thinking we could get in with our magazines as passes. But my friend, who was there earlier, was stopped by a Lara Fabregas look-alike saying she (my friend) was misinformed when another friend verified through the cousin of her friend who was an editor of the magazine that we, magazine-bearing members, could enter. Head hurt. She (my friend) left, leaving mopey us still hoping to get in. Luckily, Dan spotted his editor's friend and asked if we could crash. And we did, ahead of half the invited audience.  :)

AFAIR, there was Cherie Gil, Abbo dela Cruz (JZ might have spoiled some people when she hinted that we'd grow to hate him later in the movie), Joey Reyes (for the screenplay?), some guy for set design, some old woman for the make up, Manny Castaneda, Peque Gallaga and his wife. Assunta da Rossi (probably there for her husband, why else would she be?) and Carlitos Sigeon-Reyna were also there. It started around 8pm with JZ acknowledging those present and ended at around 10:30 with a QnA. And yes, Kuh Ledesma's participation in the movie was discussed.  :)

My only rant, it was the flip Movie Club, we loyal JZ fans who buy all her books and magazines should be given priority over those who have not bought, read or even heard of her works. Ang lumabas, sila sila rin lang. It's a movie club of the elite.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2003 at 05:37 PM by utoy »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 07:32 PM »
Bro Utoy, thanks for the reply!  8)

Tsk..tsk..tsk...we should have patiently waited outside of the cinema...sumama ang loob namin...that woman, the look-alike of Lara Fabregas was the same woman na pinagtanungan namin when we arrive there 5:30 p.m. ahead of the screening time.   :(

That event only happens once in a lifetime!
BTW, why did Jessica Zafra spoiled some people, what did she hint?

I hope The Flip staff will read your message about their policy in screening movies. I sympathize you man, that night was the movie club of the elite!

What will be the next movie to be screen by the Flip Movie Club?