Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 493439 times)

Online jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1227
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #2940 on: Jul 23, 2017 at 08:09 AM »
Kita Kita - Not a typical Filipino romantic-comedy. Scores points for the chemistry of the two leads, it's picture postcard shots of Sapporo, Japan and for the nice music. Overall, I think it provides a needed fresh perspective, but I don't think it's really a "game changer" type of film for the Filipino movie scene. Still, it's always heartening to see a cinema almost full (watched it at UPTC) for a local indie movie.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2941 on: Jul 31, 2017 at 08:41 AM »
Here are 12 Films You Should Watch During 'Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino' Showing Nationwide Soon

August might just be the month for the Filipino film industry, because just a few days after Cinemalaya 13 culminates, the first ever Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino begins!

From August 16 to 22, all the cinemas nationwide (more than 700 screens!) will be showing 12 Filipino films of various genres and varieties to give filmmakers a platform where they connect to a much wider audience. The film festival is also held in celebration of the Buwan ng Wika.

https://www.clickthecity.com/movies/a/33013/check-out-the-12-films-you-should-see-during-the-pista-ng-pelikulang-pilipino

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2942 on: Aug 08, 2017 at 09:00 AM »

Thoughts on the restored version of Mike De Leon's only romantic comedy

(Shown as part of the CineLokal initiative of the Film Development Council of the Philippines and SM Cinema. It is being screened daily until Aug. 10, with shows at 1 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 6 p.m., and 8:30 p.m. at SM Cinemas at SM Megamall, SM North EDSA, SM Fairview, SM Iloilo, SM Southmall, SM Cebu, SM Bacoor, and SM Mall of Asia.)

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2943 on: Aug 10, 2017 at 09:37 PM »

Thoughts on the restored version of Mike De Leon's only romantic comedy

(Shown as part of the CineLokal initiative of the Film Development Council of the Philippines and SM Cinema. It is being screened daily until Aug. 10, with shows at 1 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 6 p.m., and 8:30 p.m. at SM Cinemas at SM Megamall, SM North EDSA, SM Fairview, SM Iloilo, SM Southmall, SM Cebu, SM Bacoor, and SM Mall of Asia.)

Actually not to spoil everybody. If you fail to catch this since i think it's its last day today. You can buy the orig dvd from abs cbn at their booth in ccp during the cinemalaya run... Bought mine already..have to watch it yet. Also on sale, Karnal, t bird at ako double w ikaw ay akin. This one is bundled along w Kakaba kaba and Hindi Nahahati ang Langit

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #2944 on: Aug 13, 2017 at 08:58 AM »
Cinemalaya:

Kiko Boksingero (Kiko, the Boxer) (Thop Nazareno) *** - After the death of his mother, an 11 year old boy being raised by his loving nanny, tries to reconnect with his estranged professional boxer father by taking up boxing. This is a Cinemalaya film. Going into this, I thought it was going to be a sports movie. But it’s not. Not at all. It’s more of a story of a son trying to reach out to his father in order to find some semblance of a family. It’s not a knockout but it’s a sweet tale with its heart in the right place but thankfully keeps things subtle and honest and doesn’t go for the cheap tears which films of this ilk tend to do. A solid drama.

Ang Pamilyang Hindi Lumuluha (The Family That Doesn’t Weep) (Mes De Guzman) **1/2 - There is an urban legend about a strange family whose members do not weep. If you let them stay at your house, whatever or whoever is missing in your life will come back. This local legend is used by a lonely woman with the help of his housemaid to bring back her estranged children. This is considered an acting comeback and first indie film of Sharon Cuneta, whom we haven’t seen in movies for a while. And she’s really good in this comedy-drama. She’s really funny and knocks out the drama when needed. She’s matched by Nino Muhlach and Moi Vien, who’s hilarious as her exasperated, sexually frustrated maid. Unfortunately, the film suffers from a really muddled script and even worse, obviously rushed editing. Some scenes cut in strange places. Some transitions are jarring. One scene ran for too damn long. There is a gem of an idea here and certainly there are moments that work but the film really suffers from bad execution.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2945 on: Aug 14, 2017 at 02:09 AM »
Respeto (Respect) (Alberto Monteras II) ***1/2 - An aspiring rapper/drug runner who enjoys going in underground rap battles robs an old man who owns a second-hand bookstore. Then he learns that the old man was a poet during the Martial Law era and has a dark, tragic past. This is not only the best film in the Cinemalaya Film Festival I've seen this year, it's one of the best films I've seen this year period. I really didn't know what to expect but the film truly surprised me with its beautiful and poetic juxtaposition of the Martial Law era and the current Duterte administration as well as the connection between rap and poetry. Pardon the pun but it is quite a poetic film beautifully written and directed. An essential film this year.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2946 on: Aug 14, 2017 at 11:11 AM »
2017 Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival full list of winners:

Full-length Feature Film:

Best Full-length Feature Film: Respeto
Best Director: Joseph Israel Laban (Baconaua)
Best Actor: Noel Comia, Jr. (Kiko Boksingero)
Best Actress: Angeli Bayani (Bagahe)
Best Supporting Actor: Dido de la Paz (Respeto)
Best Supporting Actress: Yayo Aguila (Kiko Boksingero)
Best Sound: Corinne de San Jose (Respeto)
Best Musical Score: Kiko Boksingero
Best Editing: Lawrence Ang (Respeto)
Best Production Design: Marxie Maolen Fadul (Nabubulok)
Best Cinematography: (tie) Ike Avellana (Respeto) and TM Malones (Baconaua)
Best Screenplay: Zig Dulay (Bagahe)
Special Jury Prize: Baconaua
NETPAC Jury Prize: Respeto
Audience Choice: Respeto

Short Film Feature:

Best Short Film: Hilom
Best Screenplay: Duwi Monteagudo (Bawod)
Best Director: E. del Mundo (Manong ng Pa-aling)
Audience Choice: Nakauwi Na
Special Jury Prize: Fatima Marie Torres and the Invasion of Space Shuttle Pinas 25
NETPAC Jury Prize: Aliens Ata

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2947 on: Aug 20, 2017 at 02:43 AM »
From the PPP:

Patay na Si Hesus (Jesus Is Dead) (Victor Villanueva) *** - When a middle-aged woman finds out her long estranged husband (and father of her children and the Jesus of the title)) has passed away, she drags her three young adult children who barely knew him on a road trip to attend his wake and funeral. In many ways, this is a typical road comedy film with all the familiar beats but the performances of the ensemble cast especially that of Jaclyn Jose (who's also gifted in comedy, I must say) and Chai Fonacier who nearly steals the film from Jose playing her lesbian daughter (or trans son, I'm not sure because Filipinos are weird like that) make it special. It is quite funny and contains a sequence that's both heartbreaking and hilarious (you'll know it when you see it).

Salvage (Sherad Anthony Sanchez) ***1/2 - While covering a lurid story about "aswangs" killing people in remote villages in the jungle, a news crew run into some hostile locals. Found footage horror films (and found footage films in general) have probably run their course. But after seeing this, I was really impressed. This film manages to make a genuinely thrilling and at times even genuinely scary found footage horror film where the found footage conceit actually enhances the scares rather than it be just a gimmick. There is always an atmosphere of uneasiness once all hell breaks loose and you're never quite sure what will happen next. Definitely a film to see.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2948 on: Aug 20, 2017 at 08:05 AM »
Paglipay - A "love triangle" type of movie, but uniquely set in the Aeta communities of Zambales after the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo. The movie does not actually immerses you fully in the life & culture of the Aetas, but it does provide a much needed window into their traditions, stories, beliefs and plight using an accessible "romantic-comedy" formula. Well-made & acted with beautiful cinematography of the Zambales landscape, Paglipay weaves socially relevant issues into a light love story with good & successful results.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2949 on: Aug 20, 2017 at 08:51 AM »

Two films: Ralston Jover's Hamog (Haze) and Sherad Anthony Sanchez's Salvage

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2950 on: Aug 21, 2017 at 12:37 AM »
Birdshot (Mikhail Red) *** - A bus headed to Manila and its passengers mysteriously disappear while a young girl raised in a very rural life by her single father inadvertently kills a critically endangered Philippine eagle in a wildlife sanctuary. A couple of police officers investigate both.  There seems to be two very good films mashed together here. A novice police officer fighting the system to investigate a conspiracy/mystery and a coming-of-age of a naive young girl. I have trouble trying to correlate one with the other on both a narrative and a thematic level even though they are connected. I can see what they were going for but I didn't think it completely worked. Mikhail Red, however, is one of Philippine cinemas most exciting young voices. He still crafted a beautiful, suspenseful film that deserves to be seen.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2951 on: Aug 22, 2017 at 05:56 AM »
Birdshot - Well made and technically polished drama-thriller intertwining the shooting of a Philippine Eagle and the mysterious disappearance of a busload of passengers. Young director Mikhail Red has inherited his father's (local indie pioneer, Raymond Red) good filmmaking genes. However, one thing in the story that slightly nags is why the character of Maya does not know that it is illegal to kill a Philippine Eagle despite living by the edge of an eagle sanctuary. Seems her father (Diego) never educated her about this & when the act was done, he even calmed Maya down by saying that "they did nothing wrong". I understand a father's need to protect his child, but still a bit of a flimsy footing, I think. But despite this, Birdshot is a good film worth watching & deserving of it's film festival acclaim.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2952 on: Aug 30, 2017 at 02:15 AM »

Thoughts on Mikhail Red's second feature

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2953 on: Sep 03, 2017 at 09:45 PM »
Love You to the Stars and Back (Antoinette Jadaone) ***1/2 - A young woman who lost her mother to cancer meets up with a  young man who is suffering from cancer on the way to a mountain famous for UFO sightings in the hopes to get abducted by aliens. It's actually way less quirky and weird than it sounds. It's really a solid romantic dramedy/road movie about two people connecting. When it's a comedy, it's really funny and when it's a drama it's really effective. That's not surprising since it comes from the mind of Antoinette Jadaone who made probably one of the best romantic comedies, Filipino or otherwise, with That Thing Called Tadhana. No, it's not as good as that film but close!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2954 on: Sep 07, 2017 at 08:43 PM »

Is Brillante Mendoza a follower of Duterte? Yes but his film seems more complicated than that.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2955 on: Sep 14, 2017 at 03:22 PM »

RESPETO opens on September 20, 2017. It premiered in Cinemalaya and bagged all the major awards including Best Picture, NETPAC Prize and Audience Choice.

TRAILER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQJOig_ghkI

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2956 on: Sep 18, 2017 at 08:09 AM »
Hot on the heels of an award-winning festival run for his last film Birdshot, Filipino director Mikhail Red is already hard at work on his third feature, NEOMANILA.

Set in the deadly world of the drug war raging through contemporary Manila, the film follows Toto, a teenage orphan, as he is recruited into a notorious death squad. The gang's matriarch, Irma, becomes a surrogate mother figure to the boy, but when their next target is revealed to be a familiar face, loyalties will be put to the test.

TEASER TRAILER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeAZfXa2b6o

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2957 on: Sep 22, 2017 at 02:35 AM »

Thoughts on Respeto

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2958 on: Sep 23, 2017 at 08:24 AM »
Respeto - Not a big fan of rap music and I have never heard of Abra until this movie, but Respeto is a good and compelling watch nevertheless. At first, I thought the plot will follow the basic "rebellious boy meets old mentor and eventually rights himself" formula....and it does set this up initially....then the movie diverges to a totally different & deeper dramatic direction, elevating it to a commentary on Philippine society and its long-standing ills; on the effects of poverty, corruption, abuse and the cycle of endless violence.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2959 on: Oct 12, 2017 at 07:09 AM »
QCinema International Film Festival Website

http://qcinema.ph

QCinema FB Page

https://www.facebook.com/QuezonCityFilmFest/

All the Films You Shouldn't Miss in the Upcoming QCinema International Film Festival

https://www.clickthecity.com/movies/a/33293/dont-miss-these-films-in-the-upcoming-qcinema-international-film-festival

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2960 on: Oct 14, 2017 at 01:48 PM »
QCinema International Film Festival Website

http://qcinema.ph

QCinema FB Page

Good stuff. Thanks for the heads up!

https://www.facebook.com/QuezonCityFilmFest/

All the Films You Shouldn't Miss in the Upcoming QCinema International Film Festival

https://www.clickthecity.com/movies/a/33293/dont-miss-these-films-in-the-upcoming-qcinema-international-film-festival

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2961 on: Oct 21, 2017 at 09:00 PM »
Neomanila - Sold out screening at Gateway tonight. Mikhail Red's follow-up to Birdshot is a fusion of the hitman thriller genre with socially relevant themes in a realistically portrayed present-day Manila.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2962 on: Oct 22, 2017 at 12:43 AM »
Neomanila (Mikhail Red) ***1/2 - A teenage boy teams up with a family friend to assassinate two-bit drug criminals to raise money for his older brother's bail. This is a very timely piece of cinema. The Philippines has been a getting a lot of unpleasant headlines with its rising body count due to the so-called "War on Drugs" by President Digong. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the film isn't in any way an exaggeration. But don't get me wrong. This isn't at all preachy. It's still a pretty effective and compelling thriller that still gives you all the thrills but leaves you with something to think about. This is probably my favorite work from director Mikhail Red so far. He's definitely a major talent. Can't wait to see what he does next.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2963 on: Oct 23, 2017 at 12:22 AM »
Medusae (Pam Miras) ***1/2 - A filmmaker working on the documentary about the mysterious disappearances of first-born children in a coastal town in the Philippines has her own son mysteriously disappear. This is a really unusual film that really defies description. The plot is pretty straightforward but it goes into all sorts of weird directions involving myths and legends involving the sea as well as a mysterious cult. Can I describe it as David Lynch-like? Eh, yes and no. Without a doubt inspired but this is something unique. Anyway, you gotta see it to believe it and I think people can come up different interpretations for it. I hope this director continues on this type on storytelling and builds upon it.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2964 on: Oct 28, 2017 at 11:19 PM »
Balangiga: Howling Wilderness (Khavn de la Cruz) ***1/2 - Set during the 1901 American occupation of Samar during the infamous Balangiga massacre in which American troops executed hundreds of civilians, including children. This focuses on a little boy and his grandfather who's trying to get to safety going on a long, arduous journey. Boy, this film really puts its viewers through ringer along with its characters (which includes two small children who bore the brunt of the abuse, I might add). In many ways, this is Khavn's most conventional film in the narrative sense and quite possibly his masterpiece. It's an extraordinary film filled with images that will forever etch into your psyche. It is also pretty bleak. It's horrifying to know that this film isn't a complete fiction and that what's depicted in the film could've conceivably happen. Yes, this is a "White Men are Awful" and "War is Horrible" movie but it's completely worth your time.

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2965 on: Oct 29, 2017 at 11:52 AM »
Balangiga: Howling Wilderness (Khavn de la Cruz) ***1/2 - Set during the 1901 American occupation of Samar during the infamous Balangiga massacre in which American troops executed hundreds of civilians, including children. This focuses on a little boy and his grandfather who's trying to get to safety going on a long, arduous journey. Boy, this film really puts its viewers through ringer along with its characters (which includes two small children who bore the brunt of the abuse, I might add). In many ways, this is Khavn's most conventional film in the narrative sense and quite possibly his masterpiece. It's an extraordinary film filled with images that will forever etch into your psyche. It is also pretty bleak. It's horrifying to know that this film isn't a complete fiction and that what's depicted in the film could've conceivably happen. Yes, this is a "White Men are Awful" and "War is Horrible" movie but it's completely worth your time.

Liked the movie best among the other circle films too and probably deserved the best film award, But it's not for everybody. One afternoon screening at gateway, there was one senior viewer who was raving about it after the movie about how obscene it was and deregatory to the people of Samar and even complained to the qcinema organizing committee about it...

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2966 on: Oct 29, 2017 at 02:45 PM »
FULL LIST: Winners, QCinema International Film Festival 2017 awards

https://www.rappler.com/entertainment/news/186515-qcinema-international-film-festival-2017-winners

Offline coastal

• Trade Count: (+265)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2967 on: Oct 30, 2017 at 10:17 AM »
Atom Araullo's Citizen Jake looks like a great film.

https://www.facebook.com/fashionpulis/videos/1698780286860892/

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2968 on: Oct 31, 2017 at 04:53 PM »

ANG LARAWAN, THE MUSICAL (2017)

Directed by:  Loy Arcenas
Cast:  Rachel Alejandro, Joanna Ampil, Cara Manglapus, Sandino Martin, and  Paulo Avelino

Ang Larawan is the film adaptation based on National Artist for Literature Nick Joaquin’s three-act English play, A Portrait of the Artist as Filipino.

Set in pre-World War II in Intramuros (Old Manila), sisters Candida and Paula Marasigan, daughters of high profile painter, Don Marasigan, deal with financial hardship after their father’s claim of an artistic drought.

It features original music by Ryan Cayabyab and the Philharmonic Orchestra, as well as a script penned by National Artist for Theater and Literature Rolando Tinio.

FULL TRAILER:
https://youtu.be/a7T2DAUUvn8

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2969 on: Nov 01, 2017 at 01:32 PM »
How does Larawan differ from the Lamberto Avellana version?