Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 493427 times)

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #2970 on: Nov 01, 2017 at 05:47 PM »
^this is a musical

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2971 on: Nov 02, 2017 at 12:43 PM »
I forgot to say 'aside from the song and dance numbers?'

Online jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1226
« Reply #2972 on: Nov 08, 2017 at 08:08 AM »
All the Films You Need To See in Cinema One Originals 2017 from November 13 to 21

https://www.clickthecity.com/movies/a/33621/your-ultimate-guide-to-cinema-one-originals-2017

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #2973 on: Nov 14, 2017 at 11:05 PM »
From CinemOne Originals:

Si Chedeng at Si Apple (Fatrick Tabada/Rae Red) *** - Chedeng is a 66 year old newly-widowed woman who just came out as a lesbian. Apple just killed and decapitated her abusive lover. They journey to Cebu to find the former's old girlfriend bringing along the latter's lover's decapitated head inside a Louis Vuitton bag. It's a kooky black comedy-road movie that's a wonderful vehicle for both Gloria Diaz and Elizabeth Oropesa, two veteran Filipino actresses who seldom get leading roles like this anymore. They're both wonderful and they sell the material well. The film kind of strains believability at some points but the film overall sells its charm by virtue of its stars. Overall, a solid film.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2974 on: Nov 21, 2017 at 11:53 PM »
From CinemaOne Originals:

Haunted: A Last Visit to Red House (Phyllis Grande) *** - This documentary starts off as chronicling the history and stories of ghost sightings on the so-called Red House in Bulacan. Then it uses that as a jumping off point to interview some of the last surviving "Comfort Women", women who were raped and sexually abused by Japanese soldiers during World War II. From legendary rumored horrors to real-life horrors, the transition is kind of tenuous at best. The stories these women tell are compelling, no doubt and people must listen to them but I feel that some of this film is padded out with too many filler in an effort to bring it to feature length.

Bundok Banahaw: Sacred and Profane (Dempster Samarista) *** - This is a documentary which chronicles the pilgrims of all different religious affiliations going toMt. Banahaw, which is said to be a sacred, holy mountain where miracles happen. We see the different practices and beliefs of the many, many people who believe this place to be somehow enchanted and sacred. I've always heard a lot of stories about Mt. Banahaw throughout the years and this is a pretty darn good look as to what really goes on in that mountain. It is a fascinating exploration on the unique way a lot of Filipinos practice religion. I wish it could have gone a bit more deeper though.

Changing Partners (Dan Villegas) ***1/2 - This is based on a stage musical. It is about a couple named Alex and Cris, one older, the other younger, played alternately by four actors, two male, two female. They alternately explore what it would be like switching genders in this type of older/younger relationship. When I first heard of the premise, I thought, "No way could this work" but having seen it, holy crap! This film is pretty darn great. The exploration of the similarities and differences of the relationship when it comes to gender and stuff is fascinating yet it doesn't detract from the emotional story that it's telling...even in song form. Definitely a must-see and one of my favorite Filipino films of the year. Great performances by the four actors too.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2017 at 11:56 PM by Klaus Weasley »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2975 on: Nov 23, 2017 at 11:27 PM »
From CinemOne Originals:

Paki (Giancarlo Abrahan) ***1/2 - One of the things I love about the Filipino indie movie scene is the fact that it gives longtime character actors and actresses a chance to shine in leading roles which they very seldom get. This time, it's Dexter Doria who is widely known for playing villainesses and strict moms. She gets to shine as a matriarch of a lovably dysfunctional family who finds out the longtime mistress of her womanizing husband had died and he drags her to the city to attend the funeral. They reunite with their adult children and grandchildren. She is supported by a fine ensemble cast of actors in a story that's alternately hilarious and heartbreakingly sad. Director Giancarlo Abrahan is proving himself to be one of the best young Filipino filmmakers around. Extra points for treating LGBT characters like normal people.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2976 on: Nov 25, 2017 at 12:47 AM »
From CinemaOne:

Nervous Translation (Shireen Seno) *** - Set sometime during the 1980's, an introverted little girl decides to save up to buy a Japanese pen while missing her father who is abroad. This is a unique little film. It's a Filipino film but the pacing and the tone feels quite European (I mean, it spent quite a bit of its running time on a sequence where the little girl cooks food in a miniature toy stove) yet still distinctly Filipino. There's something about the way the director captures childhood innocence and what a Filipino childhood is like that's supremely authentic (I suspect it might be semi-autobiographical, perhaps?). It didn't quite blow me away but I think the filmmaker definitely has potential. The lead child actress is also excellent.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2977 on: Nov 27, 2017 at 12:53 AM »
Moral (Marilou Diaz-Abaya) ***1/2 - This film focuses on four young women who happen to be best friends in the same college class: One is a promiscuous drug addict, another one is an aspiring singer with more ambition than talent, the other is a single mom whose ex-husband left her for another man and the last one is a newlywed whose husband wants to keep her barefoot and pregnant. With a screenplay by my mentor, Ricky Lee, this film is a super progressive and feminist look into the lives of young women and though it was made and set in the 1980's, it doesn't feel old at all. These stories still remain largely relevant today. Even though it brings up and talks about a lot of issues, it doesn't feel at all preachy and even manages to sprinkle humor despite some of the dead serious issues brought up[. The performances of the entire cast are fantastic as well.  It's one of the classics of Filipino cinema.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2978 on: Nov 30, 2017 at 02:30 PM »
Always thought Moral was Ricky Lee's best film. Great comedy.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #2979 on: Dec 01, 2017 at 01:41 AM »
Moral (Marilou Diaz-Abaya) ***1/2 - This film focuses on four young women who happen to be best friends in the same college class: One is a promiscuous drug addict, another one is an aspiring singer with more ambition than talent, the other is a single mom whose ex-husband left her for another man and the last one is a newlywed whose husband wants to keep her barefoot and pregnant. With a screenplay by my mentor, Ricky Lee, this film is a super progressive and feminist look into the lives of young women and though it was made and set in the 1980's, it doesn't feel old at all. These stories still remain largely relevant today. Even though it brings up and talks about a lot of issues, it doesn't feel at all preachy and even manages to sprinkle humor despite some of the dead serious issues brought up[. The performances of the entire cast are fantastic as well.  It's one of the classics of Filipino cinema.

Is it available online?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2980 on: Dec 01, 2017 at 09:47 AM »
I saw the restored version screened during Cinema One Originals Festival. I think you can purchase the DVD's in ABS-CBN stores.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2981 on: Dec 01, 2017 at 10:12 AM »
I saw the restored version screened during Cinema One Originals Festival. I think you can purchase the DVD's in ABS-CBN stores.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the restored Moral is available already on DVD. It's not yet listed on ABS-CBN's Online Store.

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #2982 on: Dec 01, 2017 at 11:24 AM »
Just watched working girls the other night in PBO.. Took me awhile to realized that it was Maria Isabel Lopez the one in recent Asian summit fiasco. she was hot there :)
The Pats way...

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2983 on: Dec 02, 2017 at 09:17 AM »
Yes wala pa M
I may be wrong, but I don't think the restored Moral is available already on DVD. It's not yet listed on ABS-CBN's Online Store.

Yes wala pa Moral sa dvd. But sure lalabas un ksi abs ang nagrestore

Offline traveler69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #2984 on: Dec 02, 2017 at 10:20 AM »
Just watched working girls the other night in PBO.. Took me awhile to realized that it was Maria Isabel Lopez the one in recent Asian summit fiasco. she was hot there :)

You're right about Maria Isabel Lopez. She was hot back in the day. I don't know how many of the younger members of PDVD recall that she was crowned Binibining Pilipinas Universe in 1982. She has always been controversial, in and out of the movie industry.

The Working Girls movie, by the way, should be restored faithfully, the way our National Artist Ishmael Bernal intended the movie to be. I had seen this movie on the big screen in 1984, but it was mercilessly edited and butchered when its home video versions came out on betamax, VHS and DVD. I won't be surprised if PBO's broadcast met the same fate. They should put out the original uncut version.

Hey, Viva Films. Are you listening?

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2985 on: Dec 03, 2017 at 03:05 PM »
Check Out Brandon Vera And Anne Curtis In Training For Erik Matti's Filipino Action Film BUY BUST:

http://screenanarchy.com/2016/08/check-out-brandon-vera-and-anne-curtis-in-training-for-erik-mattis-filipino-action-film-buy-bust.html

Update....

BUY BUST
Directed by Erik Matti
Written by Michiko Yamamoto and Erik Matti
Starring Anne Curtis, Brandon Vera, Joross Gamboa, Mara Lopez, and Victor Neri

PRODUCTION TRAILER:
https://youtu.be/RlRCI7EJ_Us

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2986 on: Jan 10, 2018 at 07:14 AM »
BUY BUST - First Full Trailer:

https://youtu.be/33XZIrH2Hk8

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2987 on: Jan 19, 2018 at 01:43 AM »

My vote for the best films of 2017 (plus a handful of interesting titles)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2988 on: Jan 22, 2018 at 01:19 AM »
Ang Dalawang Mrs. Reyes (The Two Mrs. Reyes) (Jun Robles Lana) ***1/2 - Two women find out their husbands have left them for each other. Yes, it's kind of like Grace and Frankie, the prequel. But the similarity (I think, since I haven't seen that show yet) ends there. This is from Jun Robles Lana, one of contemporary Philippine cinema's most talented mainstream filmmakers and he managed to craft an LGBT film that's funny, rich, intelligent and progressive all at once all while being quite a crowd-pleaser. There are so many ways this could have went wrong but he mostly manages to avoid the pitfalls. It helps that the cast is really game with the whole thing. Yes, I'm surprised this is as good as it is. Highly recommended.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2989 on: Jan 24, 2018 at 06:47 AM »
BUY BUST - Trailer 2:

https://youtu.be/oTUjHh3PeVc

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2990 on: Jan 29, 2018 at 01:04 AM »
Mr. and Mrs. Cruz (Sigrid Andrea Bernardo) *** - A young man and a young woman, both coincidentally with the last name "Cruz", are trying to get over bad breakups. They meet during a vacation in Palawan. It seems to me it's a very good start of the year for Filipino cinema. The first two 2018 Filipino films I've seen are both pretty damn good. This romantic dramedy/travelogue about two brokenhearted people connecting has a very Before Sunrise-in-the-tropical-beach kind of feel, or if you're familiar with Filipino cinema, That Thing Called Tadhana feel. It doesn't quite reach the heights of either of those films but it does come close and the two leads are charming and has chemistry. It's a solid film.

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 304
« Reply #2991 on: Jan 30, 2018 at 06:08 AM »
BUY BUST - First Full Trailer:

https://youtu.be/33XZIrH2Hk8

nag iimprove na ang cinematography ng pinoy films. parang raid redemption

nice post.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2992 on: Feb 16, 2018 at 01:07 AM »

Belated tribute to Maryo J. de los Reyes: thoughts on one of his most highly regarded films

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2993 on: Feb 21, 2018 at 07:31 AM »
Erik Matti’s “Buy Bust” to Screen in North American Cinemas Thru Well Go USA

The highly-anticipated film “Buy Bust” by critically-acclaimed director Erik Matti has been acquired by Well Go USA for North American Cinema release.

Well Go USA announced the acquisition of North American rights to BUYBUST, the latest from master Filipino filmmaker Erik Matti (On The Job, Honor Thy Father). Well Go USA will release the film to North American theaters later this year, followed by a digital and home video release.

https://pelikulamania.com/2018/02/19/erik-mattis-buy-bust-to-screen-at-north-american-cinemas-thru-well-go-usa/

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2994 on: Mar 22, 2018 at 11:36 PM »

Lino Brocka's best-known film 'Maynila sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag' (Manila in the Claws of Neon) to be released by Criterion on June 12, 2018, or Independence Day.

Some thoughts on the film
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2018 at 11:37 PM by Noel_Vera »

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2995 on: Mar 31, 2018 at 07:51 AM »
Mikhail Red's BIRDSHOT is now streaming on Netflix.....

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2996 on: Apr 06, 2018 at 03:28 AM »

The mind of Mely Tagasa: melodramatic seed from which sprouted Lino Brocka's slum noir masterpiece

Available on The Criterion Collection

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2997 on: Apr 07, 2018 at 11:40 PM »
Never Not Love You (Antoinette Jadaone) *** - A tattoo artist/freelance graphic designer meets a yuppie girl and they fall in love but circumstances threaten to tear them apart. This is the latest from probably the most major mainstream Filipino filmmaker working today. I have to say even though this is not her best film, at least not in my opinion, it's one of her more visually accomplished film. It feels like a Wong Kar-Wai film at times. The film is overall a well-made romantic film but alas, I felt it was a bit of a missed opportunity when it faltered a bit in the ending. I felt there was a chance to elevate this film and make it a bit more emotionally resonant but it dropped the ball. But it's still a solid film.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2998 on: May 03, 2018 at 07:15 AM »
CITIZEN JAKE will finally be screening in Philippine cinemas nationwide beginning May 23, 2018.

On the Facebook page of Citizen Jake, director Mike de Leon appeals to the public for support: “My film may be fiction, but it is based on truths we ignore at our own risk. It should be seen by its audience in its original version, without cuts and without compromise. The film is not perfect, far from it, but it is a good honest film that is seeking an audience that I am convinced is out there. May you allow me to ask for your support?”

Citizen Jake is the story of Jake Herrera, journalist and estranged son of a powerful Philippine senator. More than anything, he wants to prove he is not like his father. This has been the motivation for most of his adult life’s decisions, from career choice to his attempt to build a life for himself far away, in Baguio. But circumstances force him to try to solve the brutal murder of a young, female student from the university he teaches in. The investigation brings him on a path to encounter corruption and to finally face his own demons.

Featuring real life journalist Atom Araullo, playing the titular hero, he is joined by a stellar ensemble that includes Cherie Gil, Dina Bonnevie, Nonie Buencamino, Luis Alandy, Gabby Eigenmann, Max Collins, Teroy Guzman, Lou Veloso, Richard Quan, with Victor Neri, Allan Paule, Anna Luna, Elora Españo, Cholo Barretto, Raquel Villavicencio, Nanding Josef, and Ruby Ruiz.

The screenplay is written by Mike de Leon, Atom Araullo, and Noel Pascual.

Rated R-13 without cuts by the MTRCB, catch Citizen Jake in major cinemas nationwide on May 23, exclusively distributed by Solar Pictures.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2999 on: May 07, 2018 at 05:28 PM »