Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 493395 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #3030 on: Jan 25, 2019 at 02:54 AM »

The in my book best films of 2018

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #3031 on: Jan 27, 2019 at 01:22 AM »
Born Beautiful (Perci Intalan) *** - The sequel to Die Beautiful has Trisha's best friend Barbs living her life and trying to struggle with her VERY complicated love/sex life as a trans woman. This caused minor controversy due to the fact that despite bleeped lines/censored scenes, it still got slapped with an R-18 rating. There's nothing particularly graphic here, as far as I can tell though the film will cause a lot of old church ladies who wander in for the free air-conditioning to clutch their pearls. As for the film itself, it's often very, very funny and Martin Del Rosario shines as Barbs and features a scene-stealing performance from Lou Veloso. However, I found its handling of the darker, more serious issues problematic and a bit lacking. It's still a solid enough dramedy though.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3032 on: Feb 09, 2019 at 11:39 PM »
Elise (Joel Ferrer) ***1/2 - A man returns to his hometown and he reminisces about the girl whom he fell in love with since childhood, the titular Elise. At first glance, this feels like your typical Filipino romantic-dramedy and in a lot of ways, it is. The film spans a few decades and though it can be very funny and sweet, it does not shy away from the sadness, tragedy and heartbreak unlike a lot of mainstream Filipino, and otherwise, romantic comedies. The major flaw is that lead actor Enchong Dee looks almost exactly the same when he's play 17 as he is when he's supposed to be 40-something so I was kind of confused. LOL. But yes, this is a terrific romantic film. Filipinos and people in the Philippines, this is worth seeking out in theaters.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #3033 on: Feb 10, 2019 at 09:45 AM »
‘This is alarming’: Erik Matti says film industry in ‘dire situation’ after string of flops

Acclaimed director and film producer Erik Matti believes the local film industry is in a “dire situation” amid the lackluster performance of recent releases at the box office.

Matti, co-founder of film outfit Reality Entertainment, referred to the string of flops as “alarming” in a Facebook post on Thursday.

He wrote: “Someone should do something about it. Government should intervene. This is not a slow death anymore. We are on life support and we need resuscitation. No more pointing fingers. I think we’re beyond that at this point. This is a plea for help.

“The film industry is at its busiest the past three years but no one gets to see the movies we make except for the sporadic mega hits. Hundreds of movies are being made now but no one is really doing good business including the big studios. What happened to our local audience?”

“Is it the online platforms killing us? Is it support of cinemas? Is it Hollywood? Is it bad marketing? Is it esoteric, irrelevant, tired or uninteresting stories? Is it traffic? Is it downloads? Is it poverty? Has our audience outgrown our films? I really don’t know at this point,” Matti wrote.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/entertainment/02/07/19/this-is-alarming-erik-matti-says-film-industry-in-dire-situation-after-string-of-flops

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #3034 on: Feb 10, 2019 at 05:59 PM »
^baka kasi yung mga artista sa pelikula e yun din yung nakikita nila ng libre sa TV. Although pag Star Cinema yata, yun ang pinapanood ng masa. Talo na ang Regal at Viva sa marketing

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 357
« Reply #3035 on: Feb 10, 2019 at 07:06 PM »
IMO there's not one big reason to put the blame to ............ Erik Matti basically outlined most (if not all) of the factors behind the dying local cinema.

Even Hollywood itself has long seen a major nosedive when it comes to the creativity-factor ........... matagal nang puro remake, reboot & sequels na lang.

Everyone seems to be on streaming now ............ why spend a large sum in the cinemas (movie, food, etc) when anyone can do it in his place and gadget of choice.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3036 on: Feb 17, 2019 at 01:53 AM »
Alone/Together (Antoinette Jadaone) ***1/2 - An ambitious art student falls in love with a struggling med student and their romance hit a few bumps in the road. If there's anything that makes Filipino moviegoers flock to the cinemas, it's the romantic movies especially those featuring Pinoy love teams (yes, we STILL have those). This time it's Enrique Gil and Liza Soberano (a.k.a. LizQuen, I think...whatever!) But writer-director Antoinette Jadaone has a gift of imbuing these films with a much needed edge and intelligence. Like this one. Granted, in many ways, it's still your typical Filipino romance films but it's not afraid to go into more complex and sadder areas that make people think things through a bit and grounds it with more realism. I also kind of like ending. Seems like the "kilig" Pinoy romance genre is growing up thanks to Jadaone.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3037 on: Feb 27, 2019 at 02:51 PM »

Yo!
Directed by Erik Matti

This year, Erik Matti is back with a film set in a computer generated world. Titled Yo!, the film casts South East Asia's top taekwondo champion, the Filipina Pauline Lopez to play the main protagonist Tala Aragon.

Unlike the bloodshed of films On The Job and BuyBust, or the mature and dark plots of Honor Thy Father and Seklusyon, the director announced that the upcoming film is a family movie on a hyper real fantasy.

"A film set in its own world with its own kind of pop jargon set in urban manila with some hyper real settings. Please note that they will not be in cyberspace but they will be in their own animated graphic world when they focus on their best friend, the yoyo." explains Matti.

TEASER TRAILER:
https://youtu.be/q9LPACrpbGo

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3038 on: Mar 02, 2019 at 09:56 AM »
Ang Paglilitis ni Andres Bonifacio (The Trial of Andres Bonifacio) (Mario O'Hara) ***1/2 - This is one of the most unique historical Filipino films I've ever seen since at least Mike de Leon's Bayaning Third World (also a great film). This film recreates the trial of Filipino revolutionary hero Andres Bonifacio charged with rebelling against the Philippine Revolutionary Government headed by Emilio Aguinaldo. The low-budget aesthetic, the deliberately anachronistic costumes and sets, the breaking of the fourth wall by a strange omnipresent narrator is what gives this film a unique flavor and oddly enough it works. It's a film that pretty much deconstructs history with an unsentimental, even critical lens. I don't know how this will play with people who are not Filipino or don't know anything about Philippine history but I was riveted.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #3039 on: Mar 02, 2019 at 01:33 PM »
^Wow, saan mo napanood?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3040 on: Mar 07, 2019 at 08:49 PM »
KG. If you don't know what that is, PM me. ;)

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3041 on: Mar 10, 2019 at 07:54 AM »
EERIE
Directed by Mikhail Red
Starring Bea Alonzo and Charo Santos
In cinemas starting March 27, 2019

TRAILER:

https://youtu.be/XHHtvCft9IU

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3042 on: Mar 16, 2019 at 09:53 AM »
Anak Dalita (The Ruins) (Lamberto V. Avellana) *** - Upon returning from Korea serving during the Korean war, a Filipino soldier returns home only for his sick mother to die in his arms. Afterwards, he finds a job restoring statues for a burned down church but also gets caught up in a criminal smuggling scheme. This is one of the handful of pre-1970's Filipino films that still exists in its complete form (and only the third I've seen). It has elements of both film noir and neorealism. The film, I find, tends to fall into being too on-the-nose in its themes and a tad too over-the-top in its big dramatic moments. But the film is still a pretty compelling drama and features some pretty darn good performances including Vic Silayan, who plays a fresh-faced young priest, such a stark contrast to the role he would play years later.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3043 on: Mar 17, 2019 at 12:35 AM »
Ulan (Irene Villamor) ***1/2 - It's about a young girl who grows up having a pessimistic view of love and then meets a man who may change her mind. Now that sounds like a generic, run of the mill romantic-dramedy. But I've gotta hand it to Filipino filmmakers who have to keep churning these out to make a living and please the masses. They somehow found ways to keep it fresh and surprising. This film is at times a broad comedy with elements of magic realism and a serious romantic drama....and it somehow all works. It has a bittersweet ending that I didn't think would happen in a mainstream studio Filipino film. It may have been marketed as a Nadine Lustre vehicle but one thing it's not is formulaic.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3044 on: Mar 24, 2019 at 07:44 AM »
Billie & Emma (Samantha Lee) ***1/2 - A teenage lesbian is sent to live with her aunt in the provinces. While going to a Catholic school there, she meets and fall in love with another girl who was recently knocked up by her boyfriend. This is a really sweet coming-of-age romance. Though it doesn't break new ground, it does make up for it by being grounded and sincere. I love the fact that even though it's set in a Catholic school, it managed to not vilify anyone. It even managed to tackle topics like abortion, teenage pregnancy and homosexuality and Catholicism's stands on these issues in a very gentle way. Anyway, those things take a backseat to the central romance, well-acted by the two leads. This is another Filipino indie worth seeing.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3045 on: Mar 24, 2019 at 08:11 AM »
DEAD KIDS
Directed by Mikhail Red

Written by Red’s younger brother Nikolas, Dead Kids marks the 27-year-old’s first foray into dark comedy. It tells the story of a gang of beat-down high schoolers who plot to kidnap the class jock, who happens to be the son of a corrupt politician, and hold him to ransom.

Produced by Globe Studios, and boasting a cast that includes Khalil Ramos, Vance Larena, Kelvin Miranda, Jan Silverio, Gabby Padilla, Sue Ramirez and Markus Paterson.

TEASER TRAILER:
https://youtu.be/OFKnelgh12I

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3046 on: Apr 05, 2019 at 07:10 AM »
Tearful Liza Soberano withdraws from ‘Darna’ film project

An emotional Liza Soberano announced on Thursday that she has withdrawn from the titular role of Darna, in the latest setback to beset the film project that was first announced in 2014.

Soberano, who was introduced as the millennial iteration of the komiks icon in May 2017, cited an injury as the reason behind her decision to quit the Star Cinema production.

In August 2018, the 21-year-old actress fractured her right index finger in an accident on the set of the now-defunct fantaserye “Bagani.” At the time, she was also juggling physical preparations for “Darna.”

ABS-CBN and Star Cinema, in a statement, said they “understand Liza’s condition, respect her decision, and wish her well on her recovery.” The film outfit also clarified that the “Darna” movie will push through, and that it has started the selection process for a new actress.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/entertainment/04/04/19/full-video-tearful-liza-soberano-withdraws-from-darna-film-project

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3047 on: Apr 11, 2019 at 08:30 AM »

KUWARESMA
Directed by Erik Matti
Starring Sharon Cuneta, John Arcilla, Kent Gonzales
In Cinemas on May 15, 2019

TRAILER:
https://youtu.be/jZ8jTOYeBBs

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3048 on: Apr 12, 2019 at 01:43 AM »

Thoughts on Lamberto Avellana's classic film about the Hukbalahap, now available on Mike de Leon's Citizen Jake website.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3049 on: Apr 14, 2019 at 12:34 AM »
Last Fool Show (Eduardo Roy Jr.) ***1/2 - An indie director makes her first big mainstream blockbuster romantic comedy which she bases on her own past love. This is a romantic comedy with a unique meta twist. I'm surprised this got made by a mainstream studio and got released, knowing from personal experience with this studio (I guess things change and evolve for the better). This is still pretty much a Filipino romantic comedy at its heart but it's got intelligence and a bit of a satirical edge to it and it's a lot of fun for me since it's got a couple of in-jokes for writers/film buffs. I should say that I happen to know the director personally but this is my honest true blue opinion of this film.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3050 on: May 02, 2019 at 11:29 PM »

Thoughts on what may be Lamberto Avellana's masterpiece, Badjao.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3052 on: May 20, 2019 at 12:38 PM »
Kuwaresma (Lent) (Erik Matti) *** - A young man from college returns home to attend his twin sister's funeral, only to find out his family's deep dark secrets that involve abuse, torture and demonic possession. There are some genuinely creepy, frightening and disturbing moments in director Erik Matti's latest stab at the horror genre. It features some of the best acting work from both Sharon Cuneta and John Arcilla (holy crap, is he great in this one). However, I thought the third act has one twists too many and it threatened to swallow up the narrative. I get what he was going for but I thought it was a bit messy. That said, it's a film worth checking out.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3053 on: May 24, 2019 at 01:48 AM »

Thoughts on Anak Dalita, Lamberto Avellana's best-known film noir, streaming online with English subtitles

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3054 on: May 30, 2019 at 09:21 AM »

Thoughts on Lamberto Avellana's Kundiman ng Lahi (Follksong, 1959) now available online

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3055 on: Jun 07, 2019 at 09:40 AM »

Forget Disney's live-action Cinderella, this is the fairy tale I'd rather watch: Pag-asa (Hope, 1951)--reasonably clear copy, with English subtitles

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3056 on: Jun 09, 2019 at 07:06 PM »
Quezon's Game (Matthew Rosen) ***1/2 - During the early years of World War II, when the Philippines was still a Commonweath of the U.S., President Manuel L. Quezon took in over 1,200 Jewish refugees. This historical film chronicles how exactly he did it. This is an often overlooked bit of information on Quezon's legacy, at least when I was taught Philippine history. I was aware of it but I didn't know how exactly he did it so there is a bit of suspense here. The film is lovingly crafted even though sometimes the obviously low budget shows and it does get too on the nose and too much like a history lesson at times. But it is a compelling story and the film is quite engaging with excellent performances. Yes, this is worth a look.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3057 on: Jun 13, 2019 at 12:25 PM »
Hintayan sa Langit (Dan Villegas) *** - An elderly man dies and goes to a Purgatory type place. While there, he meets up with a former flame and rekindle their romance. Finally caught up with this one after missing it at the QCinema Film Festival. Personally, I wasn't a complete fan of the pay off/ending. However, the film works primarily because of the chemistry between veteran Filipino actors Eddie Garcia and Gina Pareno who are simply funny and lovely together. The film's concept of the afterlife is also pretty unique and the film does tackle some heady existential issues on death and grieving and it's also refreshingly ecumenical.

HINTAYAN NG LANGIT is now streaming on Netflix.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3058 on: Jul 09, 2019 at 06:42 PM »
BLOCK Z
Directed by Mikhail Red

Block Z is an upcoming Philippine zombie film starring Julia Barretto, Joshua Garcia, Ian Veneracion, Maris Racal, Dimples Romana, McCoy de Leon, Yves Flores, and Ina Raymundo.

It follows a group of university students who try to survive the undead during a deadly viral outbreak.

TEASER TRAILER:
https://youtu.be/xYhTiwXDCs0

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 304
« Reply #3059 on: Jul 10, 2019 at 12:29 PM »
HINTAYAN NG LANGIT is now streaming on Netflix.

love this film.