Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 367591 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #3030 on: Jan 25, 2019 at 02:54 AM »

The in my book best films of 2018

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #3031 on: Jan 27, 2019 at 01:22 AM »
Born Beautiful (Perci Intalan) *** - The sequel to Die Beautiful has Trisha's best friend Barbs living her life and trying to struggle with her VERY complicated love/sex life as a trans woman. This caused minor controversy due to the fact that despite bleeped lines/censored scenes, it still got slapped with an R-18 rating. There's nothing particularly graphic here, as far as I can tell though the film will cause a lot of old church ladies who wander in for the free air-conditioning to clutch their pearls. As for the film itself, it's often very, very funny and Martin Del Rosario shines as Barbs and features a scene-stealing performance from Lou Veloso. However, I found its handling of the darker, more serious issues problematic and a bit lacking. It's still a solid enough dramedy though.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3032 on: Feb 09, 2019 at 11:39 PM »
Elise (Joel Ferrer) ***1/2 - A man returns to his hometown and he reminisces about the girl whom he fell in love with since childhood, the titular Elise. At first glance, this feels like your typical Filipino romantic-dramedy and in a lot of ways, it is. The film spans a few decades and though it can be very funny and sweet, it does not shy away from the sadness, tragedy and heartbreak unlike a lot of mainstream Filipino, and otherwise, romantic comedies. The major flaw is that lead actor Enchong Dee looks almost exactly the same when he's play 17 as he is when he's supposed to be 40-something so I was kind of confused. LOL. But yes, this is a terrific romantic film. Filipinos and people in the Philippines, this is worth seeking out in theaters.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+343)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #3033 on: Feb 10, 2019 at 09:45 AM »
‘This is alarming’: Erik Matti says film industry in ‘dire situation’ after string of flops

Acclaimed director and film producer Erik Matti believes the local film industry is in a “dire situation” amid the lackluster performance of recent releases at the box office.

Matti, co-founder of film outfit Reality Entertainment, referred to the string of flops as “alarming” in a Facebook post on Thursday.

He wrote: “Someone should do something about it. Government should intervene. This is not a slow death anymore. We are on life support and we need resuscitation. No more pointing fingers. I think we’re beyond that at this point. This is a plea for help.

“The film industry is at its busiest the past three years but no one gets to see the movies we make except for the sporadic mega hits. Hundreds of movies are being made now but no one is really doing good business including the big studios. What happened to our local audience?”

“Is it the online platforms killing us? Is it support of cinemas? Is it Hollywood? Is it bad marketing? Is it esoteric, irrelevant, tired or uninteresting stories? Is it traffic? Is it downloads? Is it poverty? Has our audience outgrown our films? I really don’t know at this point,” Matti wrote.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/entertainment/02/07/19/this-is-alarming-erik-matti-says-film-industry-in-dire-situation-after-string-of-flops

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #3034 on: Feb 10, 2019 at 05:59 PM »
^baka kasi yung mga artista sa pelikula e yun din yung nakikita nila ng libre sa TV. Although pag Star Cinema yata, yun ang pinapanood ng masa. Talo na ang Regal at Viva sa marketing

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #3035 on: Feb 10, 2019 at 07:06 PM »
IMO there's not one big reason to put the blame to ............ Erik Matti basically outlined most (if not all) of the factors behind the dying local cinema.

Even Hollywood itself has long seen a major nosedive when it comes to the creativity-factor ........... matagal nang puro remake, reboot & sequels na lang.

Everyone seems to be on streaming now ............ why spend a large sum in the cinemas (movie, food, etc) when anyone can do it in his place and gadget of choice.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3036 on: Feb 17, 2019 at 01:53 AM »
Alone/Together (Antoinette Jadaone) ***1/2 - An ambitious art student falls in love with a struggling med student and their romance hit a few bumps in the road. If there's anything that makes Filipino moviegoers flock to the cinemas, it's the romantic movies especially those featuring Pinoy love teams (yes, we STILL have those). This time it's Enrique Gil and Liza Soberano (a.k.a. LizQuen, I think...whatever!) But writer-director Antoinette Jadaone has a gift of imbuing these films with a much needed edge and intelligence. Like this one. Granted, in many ways, it's still your typical Filipino romance films but it's not afraid to go into more complex and sadder areas that make people think things through a bit and grounds it with more realism. I also kind of like ending. Seems like the "kilig" Pinoy romance genre is growing up thanks to Jadaone.