Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 495466 times)

Offline sidney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Filipino films
« Reply #90 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 12:32 AM »
Are your VHS tapes still in good condition?  You hav esome pretty good movies.

Yes, most of them are original copies.  I used to have boxes of movies tv shows, kaya lang  wala na akong space for all of them at ipinamigay ko na yong iba.  As of now hindi na ako masyadong  nag co-collect ng movies yon  na lang mga  favorites ko noong bata pa ako ang mga hinahanap ko.  Ang  bahay kasi namin noon sa Pilipinas katabi lang ng sinehan kaya i grew up watching pilipino films like  Sa Bawat Himaymay ng Aking Laman, Dahil Sa Isang Bulaklak, Pigilin mo ang Pag patak ng Ulan,  Dalawang Ibon Sa Iisang Pugad,  Ang Lihim Ng Guada Lupe, Lipad ,Darna, Lipad! Atsay, Brutal,  Batch 81, Pag Sapit Ng Dilim.   Maganda sana kung mag karoon video club ang group na ito or archive na exclusive members lang ang makakahiram ( At Dapat i return on time ang mga tapes)  makakapanood ng movies or someone will host a get together for all the members para sa private screening ng movies.  By the way naipapalabas pa ba yong movie ni Pinky Montilla na "Supergirl? Iam dying to see that one again. ;)

Offline sidney

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 12:56 AM »
Bilanggong Birhen is a pretty good, maybe near great flawed film.  

I got a really crazy story about the making of that movie--well, two.  But if I tell them, I prolly won't live long... ;D

Do you have the following--

Bona
Bakit Bughaw Ang Langit (1981)
Gaano Ko Ikaw Kamahal? (1982)
Ibulong Mo Sa Puso (1983)
Uhaw na Pag-ibig (1983)
Prinsesang Gusgusin (1986)

Noel,  I used to have that Nora,  Dennis Roldan " Bakit Bughaw Ang Langit? "  na Original pa ang copy , may humiram at di na ibinalik  :'(  Hindi bale black listed na sya.

Yong Bona wala ako eh,  I think a friend of mine who is a big Nora fan has it  .Ibulong Mo Sa Puso, yon ba yong kay Vilma na bulag sya, na ginawa nya sa Seiko films?  If that's the one?  I have that somewhere.  Uhaw na pag Ibig wala ako noon hindi ko yata napanood.
Prinsesang Gusgusin, wala ako nyan but, i think available pa ito sa Regal videos.   By the way Iam thinking of building a web site about Vilma kaya lang wala  I dont have a lot of pictures of her  .  

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #92 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 02:35 AM »
I think Ibulong Mo sa Puso stars Gloria Romero or Amalia Fuentes.  I could be wrong.

And I believe Uhaw na PagIbig was a Claudia Zobel film.

"Bakit Bughaw"

Huwag mong i-blacklist yung friend mo.  Ipapatay mo na lang, then get the tape back. That's one of the last existing copies of the film.  Wala nang print, wala nang video, walang wala na...

Offline sidney

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 03:40 AM »
I think Ibulong Mo sa Puso stars Gloria Romero or Amalia Fuentes.  I could be wrong.

And I believe Uhaw na PagIbig was a Claudia Zobel film.

"Bakit Bughaw"

Huwag mong i-blacklist yung friend mo.  Ipapatay mo na lang, then get the tape back. That's one of the last existing copies of the film.  Wala nang print, wala nang video, walang wala na...
"Bakit Bughaw"  Sayang at hindi na pala available ang movie na ito .  Yong Bona kung natatandaan mo way back in the 80's noong mag karoon ng Manila International Film Festival maraming mga vintage moviea ang nai pag bili sa  ibang bansa tulad ng Bona ang original print yata nito ay nasa Canada, at yong mga Dyesebel films ay  naipag bili din ano pa ba  someone told me yong Darna ni Gina Pareno ay nasa Indonesia pati rin yong kay Vilma na Lipad...   wala na ring video o print sa Manila.  Yong Burlesk Queen,  nasunog daw ang original print nito.   I have a friend sa Manila na  may access sa Premiere  na kalilipat lang ng bodega nila sa Malabon told me na marami pa ang mga itong movies at doon sya nakakuha ng Ging, ni Vilma, mahigpit na nga lang daw ang mga ito ngayon at they are converting their movies sa vhs kasi yong iba ay nasa lata pa.   A long time ago  i paid $50.00 sa isang movie na nasa pag iingat ng premiere na pina transfer ko pa sa vhs.   Ang Sampaguita available na ulit ang mga movies nila for sale.  Uhaw sa pag ibig, i dont have that one kasi.  Hindi ba at si susan R. ang original  na prinsesang gusgusin?  By the way do you have Patayin mo sa Sindak si Barbara ni Susan?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 11:13 PM »
There's still a print of Susan's Patayin sa Sindak, directed by Celso Ad. Castillo, far better film than the remake.

You might want to check with your friend, but what is in that Bodega is probably what's left of Premiere's films.  From all accounts, a huge number of their prints are gone.  Some survive, and that's probably what's left.

Dyesebel, you say?  The Gerry de Leon version?  The French would love to know about that...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Nov 23, 2002 at 02:33 AM »
Saw Kailangan Kita.

Defintely better told than Hibla, technically smoother than Gamitan.  I prefer Gamitan, though--at least it shows something of the filmmaker's personality.

Yep, Star Cinema did it again--one of its "android" directors (Not my term! Kapwa niyang filmmaker!) goes and makes yet another "assembly-line product" (again, not my term).  Script again written by committee--as noted by one of the people who actually wrote the script (this wasn't what he/she originally wrote, ang daming binago, etc., etc.  I believe him/her--he/she's too smart to make the kind of storytelling mistakes this movie makes...).

It's a tired premise, for starters--boy goes to provinces ready to get married, falls in love again with its many charms (incarnated in his bride-to-be's sister), turns his back on the city/world in general (Reese Witherspoon plays a female version of Aga in Sweet Home Alabama).  Simplistic rural over urban/Pinoy over American dichotomy.

The details aren't helpful either.  On the bra issue--it IS distracting, and judging from the audience reaction, it's the main reason most of the men went to watch.  There's a difference between filming a girl without wearing a bra and filming a girl to EMPHASIZE she's not wearing a bra--I'd say the filmmaker used all kinds of gimmicks (bending over, backlighting, garden hose, freaking beach scene, my god...) to emphasize the fact that, yes Claudine Is Not Wearing a Bra.  So no, it's not just prurient imagination; it's prurient imagination constantly being encouraged by the filmmakers.  

And it still doesn't make sense--granted she's a rebel and refuses to wear a bra--that would be a constant topic around the house but it isn't.  At one point Claudine weares sleeveless and Johnny Delgado makes a cutting remark; but she spends hours with her breasts bouncing about, and with Aga as companion, and no comment from anyone?!  

Have her not wear a bra, fine, but this needs serious explaining, especially in context of where and who she is (young girl in a Bicol town), and integration into her character as a whole.   The way I read her, she'd be highly motivated NOT to not wear a bra--she's already in trouble, she wants to hide in the background, not flaunt her defiance, both of them...

The twist involving Jericho as an NPA soldier is good; I imagine that's what the writers were really interested in, as the point where hidden depths are revealed in Claudine's character, and interest turns into love.  Fine.  But nothing conclusive happens to Jericho; he runs off with half a dozen goons in hot pursuit, and it's remarked in a casual line that he escaped!  So much for Jericho, who probably had a stopwatch all the time he was on the set, and left the second the watch hit the five-minute mark.  

Again, Aga meeting his father is a good twist...but the soul searching Aga makes with regards to his dad is more wearying than convincing, and in the end, the dad is dripped as quickly as the NPA soldier.  Apparently, the actor playing the dad (Dante Rivero, di ba?) also has a stopwatch.

The lovemaking is boring.  After holding back for so long, all they can do is tentatively peck at each other?  It should be a wrestling match, practically rape except it's mutual, and the hay should fly...

Aga is, as usual, prettier than any of the women in the film, including Claudine.  I can't believe he's actually capable of growing a beard.  Is that prosthetic or something?  

Saw a remark that Claudine at 23 is already better than Vilma, Nora, etc., etc.   I may be mistaken, but Nora at 23 had produced and acted in Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos.  Claudine is okay, but by no violent stretch of anyone's wildest imagination is she even remotely close to touching Nora's performance in that film...

Nitpicks, most of the above, I'll admit, and easy to forgive...problem is, as I've said, the premise is so tired and the direction so uninspiring, so nitpicking is the only thing keeping me awake throughout this movie.  Another Star Cinema mediocrity.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Manila by Night, Himala
« Reply #96 on: Nov 23, 2002 at 03:55 AM »
Noel, when are you going to do a full review of the two Bernal movies?  I'm really looking forward to your insight on those movies.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Sampaguita Pictures vault
« Reply #97 on: Nov 23, 2002 at 04:17 AM »
I have visited their site at:
http://www.geocities.com/sampaguita_pictures/p3.html .
They have quite a number of old movies.  I'm planning to order some videos from them but I don't know most of the titles in the list.  Has any of you have any recommendations?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Nov 24, 2002 at 03:13 AM »
When will I write about them full length?  I don't know.  Depends when the muse strikes me.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Aspect ratios...
« Reply #99 on: Nov 24, 2002 at 04:35 AM »
I'm just wondering if there are any Filipino films that are released on VHS, VCD or DVD in their original aspect ratios?  I haven't seen any widescreen releases yet, even the new titles.  Are all our movies presented in 1.33:1?  Or the producers just don't care and just crop them for video releases?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Nov 24, 2002 at 04:54 AM »
What videos I've seen and cable screenings are cropped.  Havent' tried any DVD's yet, but wouldn't expect any miracles...

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re:Sampaguita Pictures vault
« Reply #101 on: Nov 26, 2002 at 09:32 AM »
They have quite a number of old movies.  I'm planning to order some videos from them but I don't know most of the titles in the list.  Has any of you have any recommendations?

I don't think Sampaguita Pictures was known for what we may consider 'prestige' movies. Their movies are more of the 'for the fans' type. Very entertaining and fun to watch. So if you are a fan of Nora Aunor or from the era of Susan Roces and Amalia Fuentes, you'll enjoy watching these old movies. I've ordered a couple of Nora movies, just to relive the good old days. :)

I believe the production companies that produced serious and artistic movies in the past were LVN Pictures and Premiere Productions.

Offline keng001

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Nov 27, 2002 at 04:05 PM »
The Hollywood Reporter reviewed Small Voices. Seems like Gil Portes' movie is getting notice in Hollywood. Let us hope enough people would notice it.

Source:  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hollywoodreporter/reviews/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1761278

Small Voices
Nov. 13, 2002

By Marilyn Moss

Teamwork Prods.

The earnest "Small Voices," the Philippines' official submission for the foreign language Oscar and Golden Globe, also carries with it big hopes of U.S. distribution. If we haven't yet tired of the familiar genre of "poor kids can dream and win," the film stands a chance of gaining favor here. "Voices" pumps enough sentiment and charm into these overused conventions to leave a lasting impression.

Most of the film's good fortune rests with director Gil M. Portes' close-ups of his translucent star, Alessandra de Rossi. She plays Melinda, a dedicated young schoolteacher who travels to students in the remote, impoverished province of Malawig. Portes' camera catches de Rossi in sparse, beautifully lit images as she takes in the poverty of the province and reacts to the bad fortune of its inhabitants.

Melinda is as tentative and humble as the village families she meets. Life there is severely limited, and the kids grow up knowing they'll end up poor farmers just like the generation before. When Melinda learns of a singing competition, she persuades the families to let their kids enter. Competition is a foreign notion to these people, and just as predictable as it sounds, the singing comes to symbolize the kids' hope they can find in their lives a kind of antidote to determinism.

Cinematographer Ely Cruz's engaging shots of the lush landscape together with the hopefulness that often crosses de Rossi's face help "Voices" overcome some used story conventions to give it a very specific charm of its own.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2002 at 04:06 PM by keng001 »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re:Sampaguita Pictures vault
« Reply #103 on: Nov 27, 2002 at 07:01 PM »

I inquired about their films as well but the prices were quoted in dollars!... :(
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2002 at 03:13 PM by rmn »

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Nov 29, 2002 at 10:05 AM »
very scary, if Gil Portes becomes the face of Philippine cinema to the rest of the world.  hehehe.  i'd rather have Lav Diaz or somebody else.
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline keng001

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Nov 29, 2002 at 12:56 PM »
Another Filipino film reviewed by a major US publication.  Variety, dated Nov 25 - Dec 1 has a review of Mike de Leon's 3rd World Hero (Bayaning 3rd World).

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Nov 29, 2002 at 03:49 PM »
What do you guys think of Bernal's "Wating"? My prof. told me that, according his film professor at UP, the latter part of Bernal's career represented a "rebirth" in his life as a director!  
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2003 at 11:33 AM by rmn »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Nov 29, 2002 at 04:16 PM »
By the way I am thinking of building a web site about Vilma kaya lang wala  I dont have a lot of pictures of her.  

Get the website started and I'm sure there's a lot of Vilmanians that will send you pictures and materials. I didn't have much when I started my Nora website but I keep getting materials by email.

Local movie stars as movie producers...

During the collapse of the studio era, a lot of our big movie stars established their own film production outfits. FPJ, of course, set-up FPJ Productions and Jafer, Erap had JE, and Dolphy RVQ. Later on came Nora's NV, Vilma's VS Films while Nino Mulach also had his own production outfit.
...(there are other stars who established their own outfits perhaps their others who can add to this list incomplete list)

Here's a few that I can remember:

Susan Roces - Rosas Productions
Amalia Fuentes - AM Productions
Ramon Revilla Sr. - Imus Pictures

Most of today's stars invest in restaurants, botiques but not too many are interested in movie productions anymore.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Nov 29, 2002 at 06:10 PM »
I didn't like Wating myself.  

Keng, could you post the Variety review of Batang West Side?  It's not the one calling it a classic or great film is it?

Offline keng001

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Nov 30, 2002 at 04:15 AM »
Here's the review from Variety:

3rd World Hero (Bayaning Third World)
(Philippines)

A Cinema Artist Philippines production. Produced by Mike de Leon. Directed by Mike de Leon. Reviewed on videocassette, L.A., Nov 2, 2002 (In Vancouver Film Festival - Dragons & Tigers) Running Time: 93 min.

By Scott Foundas

Who was Jose Rizal? Hero? Coward? Traitor? Revolutionary? Perhaps a combination of these things? Such questions are teasingly posed, but never quite answered by Mike de Leon's "3rd World Hero," despite the many dramatized scenes from Rizal's life that give pic at least the outward appearance of a conventional screen biography. But it is the suggestion of this most playful and jaunty of biopics that such questions may lie beyond cinema's ability to answer. Made three years ago, but only just now receiving its North American premiere, this smart, stylish deconstruction merits the attention of fest programmers to look past the 1999 copyright date.

Controversial for the strong secular and democratic opinions expressed in his novels at a time when the Philippines was under the colonial rule of Catholic Spain, Rizal was executed by a Spanish firing squad in 1896, only to subsequently be invoked as a revolutionary martyr and the official national hero of the Philippines. But there are many conflicting accounts of Rizal's final days, months and years.

De Leon's way into story tells the tale of two contemporary filmmakers attempting a project about Rizal, and running aground at every turn as they search for a compromise between truth and legend. That Rizal's life isn't "cinematic" enough is a constant refrain; there is even mention of a silent film that documented his execution, but omitted any further details from his life for fear of boring the audience.

Certainly, boredom in one thing no one can accuse of de Leon and his co-screenwriter, Clodualdo del Mundo Jr., who have fashioned a movie alive with ideas and imagination. Pic jumps back and forth in time, with the filmakers (Ricky Davao and Chris Villanueva) interviewing Rizal's sister Trining (Rio Locsin), brother Paciano (Jonee Gamboa) and Irish wife Josephine (Lara Fabregas), trying to set straight the facts of Rizal's life and death, trying to determine the shape the film will take. Did Rizal, for example, actually retracts the views expressed in his novels so as to be forgiven by the Church? If so, was this only so he could marry Josephine? Or was Josephine herself merely a golddigger who didn't love Rizal nearly as much as she loved his celebrity?

The versions of events don't quite gel, because everyone who had a vested interest in Rizal's live now has a vested interest in his legacy. Like George Hickenlooper's "The Man from Elysian Fields," "3rd World Hero" is slyly aware of the fact that when an artist dies, he doesn't really die. And things, become no less complicated when the filmmakers finally confront Rizal himself (well-played by Joel Torre).

De Leon's touch is light and lilting, and 3rd World Hero builds a fantastic energy as it swoops from one fragmented clue to the next on its serpentine quest for elusive - and potentially non-extant - truth. Pic is atmosperically lensed in black-and-white by Ding  Achacoso, with crack editing by Armando Jarlego.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Dec 01, 2002 at 12:15 AM »
Thanks for posting the article.

Bayaning Third World pala!  Sowee...

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Dec 08, 2002 at 05:43 AM »
Here's a book on Philippine Cinema I found online.  Some here might be interested:

Some films you may not have seen or even heard about. The more familiar movies will inspire a voyage of discovery about the Philippine cinema- the directors, the stars, the stories and the intrigues. 100 Acclaimed Tagalog Movies presents poignant and entertaining reviews of classic Philippine films. Many of them have achieved cult-status. Film enthusiasts, and other readers curious about the history and growth of Asian and Philippine cinema, will find this book an excellent reference and guide.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Dec 08, 2002 at 06:43 AM »
Thanks ßa®tmaniac. I tried looking for this book a while back and did not have any luck. I just placed my order so ask the Pilipino Superstore for your commission.  ;)

Hey can you help me find the book THE URIAN ANTHOLOGY? I tried looking for that one too and so far no luck. Thanks again.

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Dec 08, 2002 at 06:50 AM »
I think I saw "The Urian Anthology" in The Filipino Bookstore in Glorietta.  Maybe, you could ask somebody you know here in Manila to check it out for you.

I found another title that might be of interest to you:

Notes On Philippine Cinema

by: Emmanuel A. Reyes

The aim of this book is to examine Philippine cinema for what it is rather than what is has failed to become. It is tempting to be derogatory when one speaks about Filipino or Tagalog movies. But there is nothing to gain by being aloof about the subject matter. On the contrary, our movies say a lot about what we are as a people. This book is composed of essays, reviews, and an interview. Moreover, it attempts to crack the terrain of mainstream Filipino films. The first section of this book attempts to explore the escapist appeal of mainstream cinema. Essays on mythology, form in the Filipino film, ideology, and genre studies attempt to examine Philippine Cinema to expose angles commonly overlooked by traditional film aesthetics.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Dec 08, 2002 at 07:03 AM »
This one will have to wait until next payday. That first book costs about $45 with shipping.  :(

Thanks again.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Dec 08, 2002 at 08:53 AM »
Thanks ßa®tmaniac. I tried looking for this book a while back and did not have any luck. I just placed my order so ask the Pilipino Superstore for your commission.  ;)

Hey can you help me find the book THE URIAN ANTHOLOGY? I tried looking for that one too and so far no luck. Thanks again.

Its available in National Bookstore Virra Mall. Its a pretty expensive book though.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Dec 08, 2002 at 08:54 AM »
Here's a book on Philippine Cinema I found online.  Some here might be interested:

Some films you may not have seen or even heard about. The more familiar movies will inspire a voyage of discovery about the Philippine cinema- the directors, the stars, the stories and the intrigues. 100 Acclaimed Tagalog Movies presents poignant and entertaining reviews of classic Philippine films. Many of them have achieved cult-status. Film enthusiasts, and other readers curious about the history and growth of Asian and Philippine cinema, will find this book an excellent reference and guide.

I've read this book and I don't agree with all of his selections.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2003 at 11:34 AM by rmn »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Dec 08, 2002 at 10:47 PM »
I have to go with rmn on Tobias' book.  The selection is inconsistent, the writing shallow, and he provides no insights into the films he's talking about.  

Offline keng001

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Dec 10, 2002 at 08:25 PM »

I've read this book and I don't agree with all of his selections some of which are really undeserving.

I'm also interested in buying this book. Can you give us a list of some of the films that are included. From what era, 60's to 80's??

Anyway, TFC is promoting Cinema One last night and it listed Lino Brocka's INSIANG to be shown on December 23, 2002.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Dec 16, 2002 at 08:40 AM »
In order to help me keep track of Filipino movie reviews available online, I've collected the links in one web page. If anyone is interested, here's the url:

http://www.geocities.com/pinoymovies/index.html

Majority are from Noel Vera but there's a few from Variety.  If you know of any other pinoy movie reviews online, let me know and I'll add the link.