Author Topic: DIY DAC for a PDVD member  (Read 3904 times)

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
DIY DAC for a PDVD member
« on: Jan 02, 2008 at 02:19 PM »
I was asked by a PDVD member to assemble a DAC for him just like the one I am using:

I just finished varnishing the narra plinth and clearcoating the aluminum plate, but I had this DAC working for a couple of weeks now.

The DAC is the Monica 2 from diyparadise.com coupled to a Rudolf Broertjes' SS I/V Gain Stage (the pcb also from diyparadise.com). Each stage powered by regulated and oversized PSU. The PSU uses UK made Aerovox capacitors and Evox polypropylene for filtering.

The red LED on the picture is the power on indicator and the blue LED is the digital lock indicator (DAC digital lock on the input signal).

The version I am using is using a 6688 grounded grid, but this DAC with the SS I/V Gain Stage has better dynamics, better clarity and better slam!
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DIY DAC for a PDVD member
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 11:17 PM »
hi Sir,

i'm also using a monica2 dac (no upgrades) would be nic if i can hear the difference to this one. i'm also from the south

vince
money is best spent

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 06:39 AM »
hi Sir,

i'm also using a monica2 dac (no upgrades) would be nic if i can hear the difference to this one. i'm also from the south

vince

I tried using mine without the gain stage after it and it just a bit lower in volume but when you crank up the volume pot they seem to sound same (the one without the linesatage might seem to sound a bit flatter, but I think this is just due to the lower votlage, the SS I/V from Yeo should compensate for it).

Alex

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 09:09 PM »
hi Sir,

vince

Hi Vince,

Sorry, but this DAC will be on its way to Cavite tomorrow.

I have another Monica coming in and once I finish building the power supply for it, we can compare. It is the Monica DAC with the built in SS I/V stage.

If you want I can build you a 6688 grounded grid for your DAC or you can order the SS I/V stage from Yeo and I can hook it up on your Monica2 (I think the gain stage is worth the expense). Either way, just buy the parts and I will do the hookup for you for free.

Regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008 at 09:11 PM by alexg »

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2008 at 06:27 AM »
Hi Vince,

Sorry, but this DAC will be on its way to Cavite tomorrow.

I have another Monica coming in and once I finish building the power supply for it, we can compare. It is the Monica DAC with the built in SS I/V stage.

If you want I can build you a 6688 grounded grid for your DAC or you can order the SS I/V stage from Yeo and I can hook it up on your Monica2 (I think the gain stage is worth the expense). Either way, just buy the parts and I will do the hookup for you for free.

Regards,

Alex

thanks for the offer :) will contact you to discuss options
money is best spent

Offline bey

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 03:09 PM »

Nasa Cavite ang DAC,

My impression is it sound great with my set-up.
The set-up was AMX Legato Tube pre-amp, AMX Forte 150 Tube power amp. Pioneer DV 300, Monica 2 DAC (courtesy of Alex) & Vandersteen 2CE signature.
The music was brought to another level of listening pleasure.

Alex, tama ako I can trust in your word, Many Thanks....

Bey

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 06:39 PM »
Congrats Sir bey and congrats Sir alexg!

romymartinez

Offline D0Hbert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 06:50 PM »
Sorry to butt in, but to those who joined the group purchase of monica2 dac might be interested in doing another group buy for the SS i/v stage, I'm going to order 2 units for myself, txt or pm me if you're interested in joining. Its a good time to get them right now since the peso is doing well against the dollar.

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 08:55 PM »
Sorry to butt in, but to those who joined the group purchase of monica2 dac might be interested in doing another group buy for the SS i/v stage, I'm going to order 2 units for myself, txt or pm me if you're interested in joining. Its a good time to get them right now since the peso is doing well against the dollar.

If you have a Monica 2 without a gainstage or with the 6688 grounded grid stage, the SS i/v stage is a worthwhile upgrade!

The Monica 2 is a great DAC, the Monica 3 is out and the only difference is it has a built in SS i/v stage and cost much more. BTW, my friend Yeo have discontinued the Monica 2 and might discontinue the SS i/v stage sometime, so take up DOHbert's offer, you will not regret the upgrade!

I ran the SS i/v stage at around 18VDC, this to my ears gave me the dynamics that I wanted.

So those who will get the SS i/v stage, PM me if you want to ask questions how to hook it up to the Monica2 and what kind of regulated power supply to use.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 09:41 PM »

how much is it?
money is best spent

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 10:31 PM »
http://diyparadise.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=64

around $28 x P40 plus shipping cost to be shared by the number of orders, probably around P1350-1400 at most

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 10:50 PM »
http://diyparadise.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=64

around $28 x P40 plus shipping cost to be shared by the number of orders, probably around P1350-1400 at most

Can I piggy back a Monica 3 (a friend wants one like my Monica 3)? I will share shipping charges.

Thanks.

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 07:26 PM »
Sure, just PM me nalang on how we should go about with it. Di ko kasi masabi kung magkano shipping, especially if we want it sent thru Fedex or some other more secure courier service. Balitaan kita, will email yeo.

Offline rd_bumagat

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2009 at 06:20 AM »
Dear, Alex,

I am interested with the dac monica. Can I join you if you are going to have a group buy? You can communicate with me thru my e mail address  [email protected]. I live here in Las Pinas. Is the power transformer already included? Appreciate your response.

Regards,
Rey