Author Topic: Soundbar Speakers  (Read 131554 times)

Offline CeeV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 143
Re: Soundbar Speakers
« Reply #300 on: Apr 05, 2017 at 07:47 PM »
It's a pain in the $#ss waiting to get back the warrantied JBLSB400😏   The soundbar just stop working on any input...Been 2 monhts na wala pa rin..sound wise oks sya kaso natapat yata ko sa lemon....

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 589
« Reply #301 on: Apr 05, 2017 at 08:06 PM »
Bit the bullet last Sunday :)

I was in Mega Mall and saw a poster on the Mega Brands Sale from March 31 to April 2. So I went with the intention to buy running shoes. However, when I got there, I saw a display of soundbars from JBL and Harman. Its been quite a while now that I have been wanting to buy a soundbar for my bedroom. Been eyeing the HK SB26, but could not quite afford it due to its high price point. Then, the salesman told me that they already have the latest model of HK that was launched last Sept. 2016 - the SB20 by HK. I auditioned it and it was awesome. The best part is, it was on 20% off, so I finally got one  :)

http://ph.harmankardon.com/harman-kardon-product-detail_ph/hk-sb20.html

sir, I'm also in the hunt for a good soundbar, and my purpose is primarily for movies ... I was only able to audition the Bose models which were very good in simulating surround sound, but the price is a killer ... is this HK model that you bought good for simulating surround sound, or primarily for music only?  thanks in advance and congrats to your new gear
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #302 on: Apr 05, 2017 at 10:50 PM »
sir, I'm also in the hunt for a good soundbar, and my purpose is primarily for movies ... I was only able to audition the Bose models which were very good in simulating surround sound, but the price is a killer ... is this HK model that you bought good for simulating surround sound, or primarily for music only?  thanks in advance and congrats to your new gear

We have the same purpose of purchasing a SB. Yes. I love being enveloped in surround sound and the HK does it very well :) Go audition and find out for yourself. The clarity is amazing.

For some reason, even if the SB26 is the better sounding SB than the SB20 due to the bigger sub, the latter has a better enveloping surround sound than the former. I am using this primarily for movies :)

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #303 on: Apr 06, 2017 at 03:18 PM »
^ are you still using Wetek Hub, sir?

can the HK SB20 decode AC3 & DTS and downmix TrueHD & DTS-HD movie sources?  TIA!

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #304 on: Apr 06, 2017 at 08:51 PM »
^ are you still using Wetek Hub, sir?

can the HK SB20 decode AC3 & DTS and downmix TrueHD & DTS-HD movie sources?  TIA!

Yes I still have the Wetek Hub, but I have my SB20 hooked up to my Mede8er. I can test this weekend and post it here :)

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 856
« Reply #305 on: Apr 12, 2017 at 07:38 PM »
recently after moving my bedroom HT rig to my media room I suddenly missed that big movie sound and decided to replace it with a less complicated yet still potent soundbar. This is my first soundbar endeavor and with the recommendation of a friend I purchased a SONOS Playbar for the bedroom to replace my HT. I also relied on reviews online prior to purchase and with a thumping heart purchased it without ever hearing it in action. Risky move for me because its something that I usually don't do when I purchase audio gear.

Sometimes when there is risk there is also reward.....man this thing sounds awesome. 9 digital amps mated to 9 drivers.

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2017 at 07:41 PM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: Apr 13, 2017 at 05:33 PM »
^ congratz!  your online survey has surely been rewarding...

mind to share how much you got it and your personal reviews aside from sounding awesome?  TIA!

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: Apr 13, 2017 at 07:20 PM »
recently after moving my bedroom HT rig to my media room I suddenly missed that big movie sound and decided to replace it with a less complicated yet still potent soundbar. This is my first soundbar endeavor and with the recommendation of a friend I purchased a SONOS Playbar for the bedroom to replace my HT. I also relied on reviews online prior to purchase and with a thumping heart purchased it without ever hearing it in action. Risky move for me because its something that I usually don't do when I purchase audio gear.

Sometimes when there is risk there is also reward.....man this thing sounds awesome. 9 digital amps mated to 9 drivers.

sir, I'm reading the specs from Amazon, this soundbar appears to be more for music, I didn't see them mention surround sound for home theater ... I've not gone through the details, but is the connection for audio via optical cable only, and no HDMI? ... the speaker specs looks excellent - I'll consider this one if it can also produce surround sound for HT ... thank you in advance

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #308 on: Apr 13, 2017 at 10:02 PM »

wow! nice looking soundbar. :)

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #309 on: Apr 13, 2017 at 11:19 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. This is my first soundbar and im really new to this but let me give you what I experienced so far.

First off is the cost and the sourcing. This cost me 700USD and sourced via amazon then handcarried alll the way here to the Phil. The local distro's price is Php53.5K so the amazon option is the way to go. I checked out a lot of SB's online via lazada and some audio stores but was never excited with the specs and looks.

Now the connection...yes it has only one physical connection and that is the fiber optic cable. It decodes DD5.1 via apple TV gen 3 via this route. No DTS though. Since its a Sonos you can download the Sonos app on any IOS device, Android device, PC or Mac and use those sources to stream music. Its the Sonos app that is the killer here. Very simple to link up, use and you can access your entire library of music on each source. You get room tuning and EQ plus expandability options whic I will talk about later.

Now to the simulated HT sound...well in my opinion it simulates the front 3 channels very well from a single chassis because that is what it is...essentially a front 3.0 crammed in one chassis.  The front channel separation may not be like that of a full blown HT rig and I fully expectd that from the get go but for a soundbar its is probably as good as it gets for the price.

Now for music...and that is the reason why i purchased the Sonos...many online reviews say that it delivers in that category. Im not that into HT that much except for the Netflix movies and series these days but I listen a lot to music and this is where it excels....a whole damn lot. It doesnt aspire to beat my Dynaudios and it wont but for a speaker that has 6 - 3.5 inch mids it punches out good bass. The highs are delivered by 3 tweeters oriented to fire straight out and to the sides. I believe they are of the metal dome variety. No eq adjustments made and all controls set to flat, it is enjoyable to listen to casually.

Looks..well its like one of those components that looks subdued but serious. Can be wall mounted or just plopped down on a table. Its built in accelerometer will readjust the bass in either orientation.

Expandability...this is where I am both excited but nervous. The optional Sonos sub is once again $700 and one will need 2 Sonos Play 1's ($300 each) for the rear channels to elevate the system up to full 5.1. So all in all that is $2K. That rig is wireless...only the Soundbar needs a single LAN connection and it will be the master to all the other Sonos components. This is a route that I wont be going for becuase it will defeat the exact purpose of why I got the SB in the first place and that is to simplify but accept the expected compromises. At best I will go for the Sonos sub late this year. Said to deliver extension down to 25hz which i seriously doubt and im sure that it wont be able to topple my REL's in bass delivery but its addition will give the Playbar a better bottom end plus it will make the sound even fuller and less strained even at higher volumes. As it is right now all by itself its sounds superb already and most users will be happy for what it can deliver. Probably im just used to having bass augmentation in my systems thats why there is still an itch to scratch.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2017 at 11:41 PM by synchro_01 »
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #310 on: Apr 13, 2017 at 11:35 PM »
sir, I'm reading the specs from Amazon, this soundbar appears to be more for music, I didn't see them mention surround sound for home theater ... I've not gone through the details, but is the connection for audio via optical cable only, and no HDMI? ... the speaker specs looks excellent - I'll consider this one if it can also produce surround sound for HT ... thank you in advance

Yes, same here. As I was reading thru the reviews, this sound bar is really more for audio music than it is of HT surround sound use. :)

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #311 on: Apr 13, 2017 at 11:47 PM »
Yes, same here. As I was reading thru the reviews, this sound bar is really more for audio music than it is of HT surround sound use. :)

I can attest to that and its really what I wanted in the first place since its purpose in my application is probably 70% casual listening to music and 30% for simulated HT. Maybe to get that full HT experience one needs to add the corresponding Sonos playmates (Sub and two Play 1's) but for the price its just doesnt make sense to me.
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #312 on: Apr 13, 2017 at 11:48 PM »
I can attest to that and its really what I wanted in the first place since its purpose in my application is probably 70% casual listening to music and 30% for simulated HT. Maybe to get that full HT experience one needs to add the corresponding Sonos playmates (Sub and two Play 1's) but for the price its just doesnt make sense to me.

Then it does fit its purpose then. Congrats on such an awesome looking soundbar sir :)

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #313 on: Apr 13, 2017 at 11:52 PM »
Thanks Stickfighter, Happy Easter
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #314 on: Apr 13, 2017 at 11:57 PM »
Thanks Stickfighter, Happy Easter

Same to you sir synchro ;)

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #315 on: Apr 14, 2017 at 01:06 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. This is my first soundbar and im really new to this but let me give you what I experienced so far.

First off is the cost and the sourcing. This cost me 700USD and sourced via amazon then handcarried alll the way here to the Phil. The local distro's price is Php53.5K so the amazon option is the way to go. I checked out a lot of SB's online via lazada and some audio stores but was never excited with the specs and looks.

Now the connection...yes it has only one physical connection and that is the fiber optic cable. It decodes DD5.1 via apple TV gen 3 via this route. No DTS though. Since its a Sonos you can download the Sonos app on any IOS device, Android device, PC or Mac and use those sources to stream music. Its the Sonos app that is the killer here. Very simple to link up, use and you can access your entire library of music on each source. You get room tuning and EQ plus expandability options whic I will talk about later.

Now to the simulated HT sound...well in my opinion it simulates the front 3 channels very well from a single chassis because that is what it is...essentially a front 3.0 crammed in one chassis.  The front channel separation may not be like that of a full blown HT rig and I fully expectd that from the get go but for a soundbar its is probably as good as it gets for the price.

Now for music...and that is the reason why i purchased the Sonos...many online reviews say that it delivers in that category. Im not that into HT that much except for the Netflix movies and series these days but I listen a lot to music and this is where it excels....a whole damn lot. It doesnt aspire to beat my Dynaudios and it wont but for a speaker that has 6 - 3.5 inch mids it punches out good bass. The highs are delivered by 3 tweeters oriented to fire straight out and to the sides. I believe they are of the metal dome variety. No eq adjustments made and all controls set to flat, it is enjoyable to listen to casually.

Looks..well its like one of those components that looks subdued but serious. Can be wall mounted or just plopped down on a table. Its built in accelerometer will readjust the bass in either orientation.

Expandability...this is where I am both excited but nervous. The optional Sonos sub is once again $700 and one will need 2 Sonos Play 1's ($300 each) for the rear channels to elevate the system up to full 5.1. So all in all that is $2K. That rig is wireless...only the Soundbar needs a single LAN connection and it will be the master to all the other Sonos components. This is a route that I wont be going for becuase it will defeat the exact purpose of why I got the SB in the first place and that is to simplify but accept the expected compromises. At best I will go for the Sonos sub late this year. Said to deliver extension down to 25hz which i seriously doubt and im sure that it wont be able to topple my REL's in bass delivery but its addition will give the Playbar a better bottom end plus it will make the sound even fuller and less strained even at higher volumes. As it is right now all by itself its sounds superb already and most users will be happy for what it can deliver. Probably im just used to having bass augmentation in my systems thats why there is still an itch to scratch.

thank you for the feedback sir and congrats to getting this nice piece of equipment ... will not fit my purpose though as I'm looking for HT audio

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #316 on: Apr 18, 2017 at 03:16 PM »
@stickfighter, can the HK SB20 decode DTS-encoded movies and downmix TrueHD & DTS-HD movie sources?  TIA!

since the Sonos Playbar doesn't have DTS license, I guess @synchro_01 would be stocked with DD encoded movies only.  but since his application is for music, then he's not bothered without DTS, anyway... =)

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #317 on: Apr 18, 2017 at 04:02 PM »
I am in the market for soundbar as currently i am thinking of simplifying my setup. Will be moving in 3-4months into a smaller condo and my floorstanders would not fit the design aesthetics. Looking at Dali Kubik One as an active soundar to serve my needs for HT and music. (No HDMI connection though, just optical).

There is one sound bar that is just currently out of my price range - Focal Dimension currently around 130k. Cheaper if bought on Amazon. But alas, don't have any way to get it here and i'm always paranoid about warranty.

Another option if people are just looking at playing audio - Sonos (as reviewed above) and Naim Mu-so. Might consider this for my bedroom / workstation desk in the near future.

Will update this thread in a few months once i audition and settle on a soundbar.

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #318 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 06:35 PM »
re DTS....or the lack of it on the Playbar...I really dont mind. Believe it or not I still use my Denon THX 5.1 receiver as my main HT AVR. I guess I never really bothered upgrading to the newer codecs since im happy watching movies in DD via Apple TV and PS. Never even bought a single blueray disc. Streaming has become my norm since we as a family only watch a movie once and thats it. Makes no sense for me to collect the physical media anymore.

For Stereo music that is a totally different story in my case

Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #319 on: Apr 20, 2017 at 12:01 AM »
@stickfighter, can the HK SB20 decode DTS-encoded movies and downmix TrueHD & DTS-HD movie sources?  TIA!

since the Sonos Playbar doesn't have DTS license, I guess @synchro_01 would be stocked with DD encoded movies only.  but since his application is for music, then he's not bothered without DTS, anyway... =)

The HK SB20 can decode DD but cannot decode DTS, TrueHD & DTS-HD. However, you can set SPDIF to down mix on your player via optical cable connection and it will play the sound. The "surround" sound is superb, even when down mixed, since the SB20 has its own way of generating surround sound :)

Offline yakisoba

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #320 on: May 23, 2017 at 04:14 PM »
I just bought a samsung 55" KS7000 TV and plan to get a soundbar for the living room.  I'm thinking of getting the Samsung HW HK550 or HK551 sounbar .. any feedback on this speakers?   Thanks. 

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #321 on: May 23, 2017 at 04:33 PM »
who has the sony st9 here? have you tried pairing via bluetooth? cant seem to find mine

Offline marsie38

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #322 on: Jun 26, 2017 at 12:05 PM »
Mga sir, what is the best lowcost budgeted soundbar out there. Been eyeing these 3. Sony rt31, samsung k551, ang lg sh8. Thanks
Haven't auditioned any of these items.

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk

~*mars*~

Offline marsie38

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #323 on: Jun 26, 2017 at 12:07 PM »
Been eyeing a 5.1 setup like soundbar... Thanks

~*mars*~

Offline AC

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #324 on: Jun 26, 2017 at 02:33 PM »
you dont sound like marsie.. hahaha
5.1 meaning may surround speaker sa likod? or 5.1 siya pero front lang?

Offline marsie38

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #325 on: Jun 26, 2017 at 05:13 PM »
Yun may 2 satellites sana sa likod. Pero tried testing the jbl sb450 and harman sb20. Mas ok sa sound quality si harman. Mas more on bass lang si jbl. Yun lg sh8 naman parang ang layo ng tunog pag compare dito sa 2.

~*mars*~

Offline marsie38

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #326 on: Jun 26, 2017 at 05:14 PM »
Kamusta naman pala yun soundbar mo. Anong model yun at ok naman ba?

~*mars*~

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
Soundbar Speakers
« Reply #327 on: Jun 26, 2017 at 06:57 PM »
Check nyo din po Yamaha Soundbars...  :)

Offline marsie38

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #328 on: Jun 26, 2017 at 08:36 PM »
Anong specific model sir. Nasa magkano price range nita? Thanks

~*mars*~

Offline AC

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #329 on: Jun 26, 2017 at 09:05 PM »
agree ok naman jbls for budget soundbars pero when not on sale...
best yamaha..
si sir louie kung tama ako same kami nabili.. sb350 na mura...