Author Topic: PETITION TO SAVE HD-DVD  (Read 4353 times)

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PETITION TO SAVE HD-DVD
« on: Jan 23, 2008 at 06:31 AM »
Saw this link online to save HD-DVD on-line. If one format wins, consumer would loose because their will be a monopoly by Blu-ray, prices of content would go up, no more BOGO, less 53% and other promos. Happy days will be gone.

Here's the link:   http://www.petitiononline.com/SAVEHDD/
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
Re: PETITION TO SAVE HD-DVD
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 07:40 AM »
Saw this link online to save HD-DVD on-line. If one format wins, consumer would loose because their will be a monopoly by Blu-ray, prices of content would go up, no more BOGO, less 53% and other promos. Happy days will be gone.

Here's the link:   http://www.petitiononline.com/SAVEHDD/

I totally disagree with that. Isn't DVD the same thing but look how cheap it is now? Let the HALF DEAD DUD die...

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 07:44 AM »
well save "Dog" the Bounty Hunter petition has more signatures at 32k lols and even the Chuck Norris for President petition

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 08:04 AM »
while youre at it, sign too the "philippine for statehood" petition para maging free na ang shipping by amazon dito :D
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 09:32 AM »
I am for the healthy competition between the two formats. It is the situation which favor most the consumers (not just a segment of wealthy few). If only bluray (or hd-dvd) remains, surely they will try to pass on to the consumers whatever they have lost in the past (both formats are selling at a loss not to mention the payola given to film studios and dealers) and chances are, the srp of the new players will be too high for the average HT aficionados to afford. And bluray disc will cost Php 2K++.

Yes surely, the SRP of both the player and the movie disc will go down but only after several years (4-6 years) when a new format has emerged and when Sony and the bluray camp allows China to manufacture low end bluray player and bluray movies can be pirated at will.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 09:41 AM »
Yamada Denki, the biggest electronics retailer in Japan (as of 22 Jan 2008, 9pm).

PS3 (40GB) - 40K yen
Sony BD model 1 : 100K
Sony BD model 2 : 130K
Sony BD model 3 : 180K

Panasonic BD model 1 : 170K
Panasonic BD model 2:  180K
Panasonic BD model 3:  200K

The rest of the BDA CE:  Missing in Action

Oh yeah, the standalone players in Japan all have DVD/HDD recording function.  The more expensive ones even have BD-RE function, but would the rest of the world pay for such kind of feature at such premium prices?   They're not even BD2.0 yet.

Thank god for PS3 and Toshiba's attempt to compete.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2008 at 09:45 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 09:44 AM »
I totally disagree with that. Isn't DVD the same thing but look how cheap it is now? Let the HALF DEAD DUD die...

In a way you are correct, but when? After 3 years? why not have a healthy competition right now. the quality of either format is superb. The infrastructure is there already, why just kill it? I am in the trade business and to have leverage on price, competition has to exist. If the format is inferior, I will be one of the first to ask for its death.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 09:46 AM »
while youre at it, sign too the "philippine for statehood" petition para maging free na ang shipping by amazon dito :D

It was a petition I saw, Its not a petition I started

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 10:23 AM »
why not have a healthy competition right now. the quality of either format is superb. The infrastructure is there already, why just kill it? I am in the trade business and to have leverage on price, competition has to exist. If the format is inferior, I will be one of the first to ask for its death.

True eh..I agree. :) I also prefer both formats to co exist but in such situation of course there's pro & con.

Sayang talaga if HD DVD will just go award since its technology is already mature with its disc & players while Blu-ray is still struggling with its many profile versions, etc.... :-\

However, as for content wise Blu-ray is indeed the king.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2008 at 10:24 AM by pchin »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 10:36 AM »
However, as for content wise Blu-ray is indeed the king.

Up to this moment, I would have to respectfully disagree.  If you use the future tense, then your statement is quite likely based on Warner's recent announcement, and if Fox actually starts pressing disks instead of simply announcing vapourware.  Up to this point, I think the "contents"per se are almost at par.   Of course this is just my opinion and I would also consider yours as an opinion even though you write it as if it's a declaration of truth.  Not a bother really.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 11:15 AM »
At current situation, there's already more studios supporting BD hence more available movies. This can be clearly seen in the software sales prior to WB announcement. If contents are almost at par then why do BD titles are selling more? Fox alone offers many great titles.  ::)

After May 2008 when WB shifts to BD 100%, needless to say.... available movies in BD will soar? Eh...maybe it's just my opinion but hopefully I'm wrong cos I'm still a HD DVD supporter at heart. :)

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 11:18 AM »
I signed the other petition: Let HD DVD die..  ;D ;D ;D
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline choy

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 11:35 AM »
I am for the healthy competition between the two formats. It is the situation which favor most the consumers (not just a segment of wealthy few). If only bluray (or hd-dvd) remains, surely they will try to pass on to the consumers whatever they have lost in the past (both formats are selling at a loss not to mention the payola given to film studios and dealers) and chances are, the srp of the new players will be too high for the average HT aficionados to afford. And bluray disc will cost Php 2K++.

Yes surely, the SRP of both the player and the movie disc will go down but only after several years (4-6 years) when a new format has emerged and when Sony and the bluray camp allows China to manufacture low end bluray player and bluray movies can be pirated at will.

i don't think the competition is healthy for the consumers because the cost of the discs would be high if they can't distribute in one format to a greater number of people.  price wars can only go so far.  economies of scale can go further

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 12:24 PM »
Yamada Denki, the biggest electronics retailer in Japan (as of 22 Jan 2008, 9pm).

PS3 (40GB) - 40K yen
Sony BD model 1 : 100K
Sony BD model 2 : 130K
Sony BD model 3 : 180K

Panasonic BD model 1 : 170K
Panasonic BD model 2:  180K
Panasonic BD model 3:  200K

The rest of the BDA CE:  Missing in Action

Oh yeah, the standalone players in Japan all have DVD/HDD recording function.  The more expensive ones even have BD-RE function, but would the rest of the world pay for such kind of feature at such premium prices?   They're not even BD2.0 yet.

Thank god for PS3 and Toshiba's attempt to compete.

Choy:

Above is what i mean.  Japan is 90:10 in favor of Bluray, see what happened to their pricing of bluray player!
Economy of scale can also be attained/applied even if there's competition. Pero pag wala ng competition, economy of scale favors only the manufacturer because it is unlikely that they will drop their prices immediately. The likely scenario is they will rake in as much profit as possible while the product is hot and most likely drop their price gradually once the product reach its maximum utility and a new product emerges.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 01:46 PM »
At current situation, there's already more studios supporting BD hence more available movies. This can be clearly seen in the software sales prior to WB announcement. If contents are almost at par then why do BD titles are selling more? Fox alone offers many great titles.  ::)

After May 2008 when WB shifts to BD 100%, needless to say.... available movies in BD will soar? Eh...maybe it's just my opinion but hopefully I'm wrong cos I'm still a HD DVD supporter at heart. :)

Yes the discrepancy in studio support is undeniable even before Warner's announcement, but it is also clear that there were already about 10M PS3 + BD standalone player owners compared to 1M HD DVD owners as of end Dec 2007.  Granted less than 1/4 of PS3 owners actually watch BD movies, I think the "effective" difference in user base was still the main reason for the 2 to 1 advantage of BD software sales before Jan 4, not to mention BOGO, and not due to any significant advantage in actually available content.  Besides, preference of contents is rather subjective.  Before Jan 4, I estimate that the effective attachment rates of BD and HD DVD were almost the same but since there were at least twice as many effective users of BD compared to HD DVD, obviously there should be at least twice the difference in software sales.  

On a personal note, I really can't say that I support HD DVD with all my heart.  I consider myself a movie fan ever since I marathoned Shogun in 1980-81?  But for some coincidence perhaps, I simply prefer the selections provided by the HD DVD group.  But now that Warner will be lost, well I guess that could change and that's fine.  In any case, right now, the only relevant breaking news that I can think of is if Universal, Paramount and Dreamworks shift to the BD side, and that remains a big IF.

Going back to the topic, and this is another opinion, although I sympathize with the petitioners, I find these HD DVD petitions to be rather pathetic.  The same goes to BD fans petitioning that Universal/Paramount drop their support for HD DVD immediately.  After what happened to Paramount and Warner, I mean what can us hi-def fans really do to affect the decision of Hollywood?  Those studios can only be moved by serious amounts of money, and they cannot easily default on any contract that they may have signed with any particular group.

BTW, the prices in Tokyo have always been like that and they're not the offshoot of WB's announcement.  What I was trying to point out is that because of the format war both in high def movies and gaming consoles, the PS3 was priced at least within reachable range.  If there were no competition in the 1st place, the earliest adopters could have easily paid at least $800 for their 1st gen players...and right now, I cannot even imagine how the other BD player manufacturers would compete with the PS3 price-wise.  So I guess this format war has been to the consumer's advantage so far.  
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2008 at 01:52 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 04:03 PM »
can't we all just get along?  ???

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 08:28 AM »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 09:47 AM »
I can't find the link juneaki, which link are you referring to...there are so many links eh :-[

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 02:59 PM »
I can't find the link juneaki, which link are you referring to...there are so many links eh :-[

The last one "Show # 183, the one about HD-DVD.

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 05:38 PM »
can't we all just get along?  ???

Hehe... just some animated discussions.  ;)  Actually, the engagements here are far less 'aggressive' than the ones in other A/V websites (AVS for instance) where some over-zealous fanboys just go in way over their heads. 

Well, here in PDVD, the Neutral guys have the biggest share so that's one good consideration.  In general, the members here are open to supporting both but of course you will always have die-hard fans for each camp - nothing wrong there IMO. 

Neutral still?  Undecided?  Click on both links below and indulge yourself... ;D

SAVE HD-DVD
LET HD-DVD DIE
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2008 at 05:39 PM by Marl_1 »

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 07:57 PM »
Hehe... just some animated discussions.  ;)  Actually, the engagements here are far less 'aggressive' than the ones in other A/V websites (AVS for instance) where some over-zealous fanboys just go in way over their heads. 

Well, here in PDVD, the Neutral guys have the biggest share so that's one good consideration.  In general, the members here are open to supporting both but of course you will always have die-hard fans for each camp - nothing wrong there IMO. 

Neutral still?  Undecided?  Click on both links below and indulge yourself... ;D

SAVE HD-DVD
LET HD-DVD DIE

yeah, i've been reading the whole HD dramafest all over the internet. i just don't want us at PinoyDVD to degrade to a fanboy flamewar.  :P

doesn't hurt to sign the petition if you'd think it'll help. just keep buying and enjoying your HD movies!  :)

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 09:33 PM »
yeah, i've been reading the whole HD dramafest all over the internet. i just don't want us at PinoyDVD to degrade to a fanboy flamewar.  :P

doesn't hurt to sign the petition if you'd think it'll help. just keep buying and enjoying your HD movies!  :)

Don't worry.. We're not as fanatic as those in other sites.. hehehe..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 09:53 PM »
Don't worry.. We're not as fanatic as those in other sites.. hehehe..

EXACTLY!  ;D

...so when again bro is the Bluray Forever blood compact ceremony?  Man we gotta space it out... the BD tatoo on the forearm still hurts.  :D lol

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2008 at 10:02 AM »
just signed it as well lol.

have an hd player but i want to go neutral. this can hurt the price drops... which would hurt the consumers (us)!

so far so good for hd dvd owners though...ive been hoarding through amazon.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 11:46 PM »
just signed it as well lol.

have an hd player but i want to go neutral. this can hurt the price drops... which would hurt the consumers (us)!

so far so good for hd dvd owners though...ive been hoarding through amazon.

Hehe... good for you.  Have you gotten your latest haul on the new HD DVD 50% off happening at Amazon?
Better hurry, new titles released...  ;)

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 03:53 PM »
Hehe... good for you.  Have you gotten your latest haul on the new HD DVD 50% off happening at Amazon?
Better hurry, new titles released...  ;)

yup. 20 hd dvds already inside a balikbayan box :D

Offline iampoch

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 01:16 PM »
also, I do have to say that a format war isn't really good for the consumer. If you're asking for competition, then let the competition reign in companies, not formats. having a lot of formats only confuses the average consumer. This also means that I'll need to have two hi def players just so I can watch all the movies I love since one movie isn't available in another format. Yes, one solution to this dilemma is to buy a dual-format player. But the fundamental flaw to that is 1) it'll always be more expensive than a stand-alone player, and 2) how would that be any different to having a universal standard? I'd rather have a universal standard than having to shuffle to two competing formats.

The FUD of having one winner in the format war (like lack of economies of scale, etc) is really just that, FUD. There would still be companies competing for our mighty peso, with one manufacturer touting their BD player as better than the other, etc. (people seem to forget that BD <> Sony) THIS competition will also bring down prices, much like what happened to DVD. Yes, prices won't go down overnight as it took like 2-3 years for DVD to go down to well-accepted prices. Frankly, though, prolonging the format war will not bring down the price any faster. It's like a military protracted war. You can only maintain it to a certain degree, after which the cost will take its toll to dangerous levels. Do you honestly think that Toshiba and the BDA will keep jacking down prices to a point that it's dirt-cheap for long? Sorry, that's not how corporations do it. Toshiba didn't bring down the HD DVD prices because it wants to do philanthropic services to the consumer. It's a marketing ploy, an investment that if it pulled off, will bring tons and tons of money to Toshiba. And in a true business fashion, you do not expect to keep pouring out investment without a reasonable and strong ROI. Sadly, prolonging the format war is not a solid way of obtaining that.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2008 at 01:20 PM by iampoch »