Author Topic: Do you plug your TVs to any power strip or surge protector?  (Read 8907 times)

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Do you plug your TVs to any power strip or surge protector?  Or is it plugged straight to the power outlet?  What's the best and safest way to go about this?

Offline Thurzki

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Do you plug your TVs to any power strip or surge protector?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 11:26 PM »
Skin ang ginawa ko is..

Outlet --> Surge protector --> AVR --> TV

Hope this helps..

:)

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 12:12 AM »
nope. just a power strip with a fuse.

if you really want to go SAFE then go get a UPS. it should provide you stable power even if there is a brownout...you would have enough time to shutdown your system properly.

i dont even bother anymore...even with my laptop. good thing electricity is stable nowadays.

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 12:57 AM »
My setup is:

Outlet --->  AVR ---> Surge Suppressor ---> TV

The surge suppressor is also supposed to clean intereference from your other house appliances.

The best protection I know of would be to use a sine wave UPS.  With this, there is never a time when your appliance is directly connected to an external power source.  Instead, the external power source is only used to supply power to and recharge your UPS batteries while your appliance directly sources its power from the UPS batteries.  The UPS batteries produce a perfect sine wave power output at all times and also operates as a buffer to shield your appliance from "dirty" electrical power.

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2008 at 07:35 PM by tetablanco »

Offline mrk_cute

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 02:09 AM »
I agree with tetablanco. I'm currently plugging my TV to a surge protector but I'm planning to purcahse a UPS to better protect my toys, my AVR is connected to an AVR but due to its low power rating (just 500watts max) I am constraint to use it solely for my AVR alone. Best way to set it up is via

outlet --->  surge protector ---> UPS ---> TV / AVR / players

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 11:01 AM »
So, what kind of AVR do you use?  Same with computer AVRs?

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 11:29 AM »
Dati derecho ang LCD ko sa wall outlet.
Pero that changed after frequenting PDVD.
Ngayon

Outlet --> 1000w AVR --> Power Strip (with fuse) --> LCD
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline byron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Audio and Video Phile Beginner
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 02:32 PM »
Hi,
I suggest a servo AVR to protect your valuable electronic devices... These devices are vulnerable most especially when power has just been restored in your area after a power outage or fluctuation...

thanks!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 03:42 PM »
Most AVR's do not have surge protection.

So try also line conditioners with surge protectors.

Not only do you protect your gear from surge, you get better picture & sound quality for your HT!

Bada 3000w capacity line conditioner:

reviews here (post #23) :

Protect your precious investment with LCD & plasmas! Works even for PC's amplifiers, etc.

Repair cost from electrical surge damage may cost you MORE than the line conditioner itself! Think of that!!!
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2008 at 03:52 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline axn8882003

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 05:05 PM »
This is one of my dilemma. I will be wall mounting my plasma tv. Problem is, I want the wall to be clean. I just wanna see the tv on my wall, meaning I don't want wires/cables running from the wall outlet and cable outlet which is located below the tv (near the floor). So I instructed the technician to "raise" the convenience outlet and cable outlet to be located behind the tv. Now, what I forgot is the line conditioner/Voltage regulator. I thought of just plugging the tv straight to the convenience outlet behind. My technician suggested to install a good grounding in my convenience outlet. Will this help protect surges? What can you suggest I should do? TIA

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 07:42 PM »
I agree with tetablanco. I'm currently plugging my TV to a surge protector but I'm planning to purcahse a UPS to better protect my toys, my AVR is connected to an AVR but due to its low power rating (just 500watts max) I am constraint to use it solely for my AVR alone. Best way to set it up is via

outlet --->  surge protector ---> UPS ---> TV / AVR / players

There are two types of UPS - the Back Up type and the SMART type.  For the Back Up type, the UPS batteries supply power only when the primary source (i.e. electric plug) is cut.  For the SMART type, the UPS batteries directly supply power AT ALL TIMES so you get a perfect sine wave power output.  Obviously, the SMART type is more expensive than the Back Up type.  However, you might be able to get a good UPS deal from tipidpc.com .  Buy a second-hand APC SMART UPS then get brand new batteries + diagnostics from the local APC service center (along EDSA near Gate 5 to Greenhills).  The total cost would then be about 1/4 of the regular retail cost - comparable to a new Back Up type UPS. 

;D
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2008 at 07:43 PM by tetablanco »

Offline mrk_cute

• Collector
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 11:46 PM »
There are two types of UPS - the Back Up type and the SMART type.  For the Back Up type, the UPS batteries supply power only when the primary source (i.e. electric plug) is cut.  For the SMART type, the UPS batteries directly supply power AT ALL TIMES so you get a perfect sine wave power output.  Obviously, the SMART type is more expensive than the Back Up type.  However, you might be able to get a good UPS deal from tipidpc.com .  Buy a second-hand APC SMART UPS then get brand new batteries + diagnostics from the local APC service center (along EDSA near Gate 5 to Greenhills).  The total cost would then be about 1/4 of the regular retail cost - comparable to a new Back Up type UPS. 

;D

tnx bro.. that information surely helped me in scouting a UPS for my gears.. :D :D

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 12:49 AM »

;D

Ayus to ah! Ako rin gamit ko lang from outlet -> to power strip -> to surge protector. Diko pa afford line conditioner e, saka UPS! konting ipon pa.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 03:56 PM »
READ!!!
Most AVR's do not have surge protection.

So try also line conditioners with surge protectors.

Not only do you protect your gear from surge, you get better picture & sound quality for your HT!

Bada 3000w capacity line conditioner:

reviews here (post #23) :

Protect your precious investment with LCD & plasmas! Works even for PC's amplifiers, etc.

Repair cost from electrical surge damage may cost you MORE than the line conditioner itself! Think of that!!!

Copying from another thread:

Its true and really works!

Share ko lang experience ng client ko who bought several plasma last year, I told him to buy a LC to protect his unit from unwanted electrical surges etc and he told me wag na gastos lang yan! kaya na ng voltage regulator ko yan ( STAVOL   :o ) ayun, nasa panasonic service center na plasma nya since last week pa yung dalawa..... charges for power supply cost ha ( 8,750 EACH puhunana ) kung di under sa panasonic binili 12,999 yan tapos may labor charge pa..... di sana yung malaking BADA na yung binili nya sa worth nag repairs nya. :D

Yesterday we installed it w/2 Bada 3500. Now double expenses nya.  :(

power surge can destroy you unit lalo na HD its very sensitive

Also remember guys that POWER SURGE is an EXTERNAL FACTOR! And is not covered by your warranty!

It falls under abuse. Its not your plasma TV's fault it got hit by a power surge (di ba?). Its your electical line's fault.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2008 at 04:02 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 04:01 PM »
This is one of my dilemma. I will be wall mounting my plasma tv. Problem is, I want the wall to be clean. I just wanna see the tv on my wall, meaning I don't want wires/cables running from the wall outlet and cable outlet which is located below the tv (near the floor). So I instructed the technician to "raise" the convenience outlet and cable outlet to be located behind the tv. Now, what I forgot is the line conditioner/Voltage regulator. I thought of just plugging the tv straight to the convenience outlet behind. My technician suggested to install a good grounding in my convenience outlet. Will this help protect surges? What can you suggest I should do? TIA

That will not help you from surges. But putting a ground line is still necessary as it helps aid the performance of your line conditioner.

I would suggest that you ask your electrician to fix the grounding then tap that line somewhere to connect to your line conditioner and voltage regulator. Your current hidden plug may look good, but remember that you might spend much much more in repair costs (pwera usog) if you dont protect your gears.

If your area isnt prone to voltage spikes, then the line conditioner with surge protection is all you need.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2008 at 04:08 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline axn8882003

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 04:06 PM »
That will not help you from surges. But putting a ground line is still necessary as it helps aid the performance of your line conditioner.

I would suggest that you ask your electrician to fix the grounding then tap that line somewhere so you can use your line conditioner and voltage regulator. If your area isnt prone to voltage spikes, then the line conditioner with surge protection is all you need.

Thanks Mat. BTW, what is the smallest line conditioner there is? Yung pang TV lang. I hope you can provide dimensions so I can look for a place for it. Thanks.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 04:10 PM »
the Bada is one of the smallest 1 around. Look for it in any of your nearest AV specialty shops like Theater Works, Stop, Look & Listen, Listening in Style, SGT Home Theater, Sights & Sounds, etc etc.

Offline byron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Audio and Video Phile Beginner
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 05:22 PM »
Where is BADA made from?  thanks!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 10:42 AM »
Made in China, just like almost everything else nowadays.

Bada has been in the HiFi business in China for the last 20 years. Using international HiFi components, assembled in China. Their high end HiFi gears (amps, CD players) use top int'l. parts like Toshiba, Burrbrown, etc.

Offline Archie

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 05:56 AM »
is it true that the cheap avr usually used in pc's worth 250 pesos can cause more harm than good.
 i assume that they are the relay type?

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 08:00 AM »
Archie - hindi pang HT ang mga AVR na mabibili mo sa mga computer shops. It can't handle the load of you HT toys. I tried it before and the AVR conked in less than a month. Pang PC use lang ata talaga siya. IMHO, you better off using really heavy duty AVRs (STAC, Stavol etc) na servo type.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline louien

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 09:11 AM »
Would a Bada line conditioner suffice?

(LCD tv -> line conditioner ->outlet) ???

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 10:25 AM »
As long as your area isnt prone to voltage fluctuations, yes.

But if it is, a Bada LC plus voltage regulator is recommended.

Power surge, may destroy your gears : instantly.  Voltage fluctuations: over a period of time.

So give priority to your surge protection.

Offline louien

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 10:41 AM »
Last ::)

LCD > servo type AVR > outlet

(pwedeng to follow na lang line conditioner)

Thanks!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 10:55 AM »
Last ::)

LCD > servo type AVR > outlet

(pwedeng to follow na lang line conditioner)

Thanks!

best:

LCD>servo type AVR>surge protector (kahit the cheaper P500 kind for the meantime)>outlet.

If you want improvements in your pic quality & audio quality (home theater & music) get the line conditioner when funds allow.

Offline louien

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 04:27 PM »
Last, last ;D doesn't the Bada line conditioner comes with surge protector?

best:

LCD>servo type AVR>surge protector (kahit the cheaper P500 kind for the meantime)>outlet.

If you want improvements in your pic quality & audio quality (home theater & music) get the line conditioner when funds allow.

what's the AVR for? Voltage fluctuations? And the Bada LC takes care of power surges? ???

Pasensya na po a, mukhang 101 type of explanation/ for dummies kelangan sakin :D

I hope mahaba pasensya natin... want to make sure kasi before I purchase anything...

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2008 at 04:29 PM by louien »

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 08:30 PM »
You got that   ;D

AVR = regulates the power that's being received by your gears from the outlet
  - Stavol, STAC etc

Bada LC / Surge Protector (i.e. APC) = protects your gears from sudden bursts of power from the outlet (i.e. electricity coming back after a black out)
  - APC, Bada, Xindak

Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2008 at 01:42 PM »
Yes, plus the LC improves your picture quality & sound quality (specially for home theaters & music setups) through "cleaning" your electric current.

Offline esant888

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 06:06 PM »
again again  :)

Outlet --> LC --> Voltage Regulator --> Plasma

or

Outlet --> Voltage Regulator --> LC --> Plasma

Probably either is fine but which is the better setup?  Just bought a Bada LC.  Thanks guys.

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 08:58 PM »
^Hmmm...Interesting...

Option #1 - Protects you AVR and gears from sudden burst of power (especially after a black out). But not sure if the PQ and the SQ will be (that) improved since your gears will pass through the AVR  before the LC.

Option #2 - Your gears are protected from sudden burst of power via the LC; PQ and SQ is improved because of the LC; question is will the sudden burst of power damage your AVR (if it doesn't have surge protection).
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV