Author Topic: FUD / FALLACY - Watching close to the TV Damages the Eyes due to Radiation?  (Read 4066 times)

Offline byron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Audio and Video Phile Beginner
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Pinoy DVD team,

I would just like to ask this as a general question (I hope I posted in the right category).  I remember when I was small - my mom used to always say that watching TOO CLOSE to the TV Screen WILL DAMAGE the eyes due to "Radiation"???

With viewing distances as short as 4 feet nowadays (for High Definition enjoyment) - I would just like to ask anyone in this group who knows - If this is just a FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) or a Fallacy designed to instill fear in the hearts of young children to KEEP OUR DISTANCE from our TV Screens.

Offline Jun_P

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
I think for those early CRT tvs, may be slightly true... Yun din sinasabi sakin ng mga magulang ko noon eh... When we got our first tv (mid 70's ), yung tv na nasa malaking cabinet  ;D ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
On a personal experience, watching TV at close range gave me eye strains and dizziness upon reaching the age of 35.  It's getting worse from then.  Tired strained eyes which resulted to temporary worsening of eyesight yes.   Pero pahinga lang ng konti eyes, balik na sa dati.  Headache yes.  Pero tulog mo lang ok na.

So now, I keep a good distance whether it be PC or HDTV even though I would rather sit closer.  Thank God for wireless keyboard and mouse.

In any case and for whatever reason, I don't think it's healthy to stay close to any type of viewing panel for long periods of time.  Radiation emission is still an issue btw, but with LCDs, they are much less than those of CRT. 

Combination of bad genes, regular exposure to large TVs and large high contrast PC monitors I think contributed mainly to my daughter's terrible terrible eyesite at such a young age.  Good thing super thin lens technology has improved so much.

In Japan, it's still quite common practice for companies to issue a "special apron" to the lady staffs to protect them against VDT.  It's kinda like radiation suit and they definitely look dorky wearing apron in the offfice but they don't mind using it all day.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2378
Ya I think it will strain your eyes if you are too close. On my 46 inch lcd when I walk by the tv, I can feel from my arm the heat coming out of the tv, its so hot pala. This is when I notice dang the rays from the big screen is very hot pala, compared to my previous 32 inch...I wouldn't sit too close.

Recently Im also getting dizzy all the time (Ya sleep it off hehe), It could be eye strain from the tv or laptop..Maybe have to cut down watching and being a forum addict ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008 at 11:20 AM by Moks007 »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
It helps a lot to force yourself to "kurap-kurap" like pa-cute na Pinay, or "taas-baba kilay" like contradiba sa Pinoy films while watching for extended periods of time.   Put a videocam in front of you and laugh your heart out later watching how crazy you looked.

Here's another solution.  Is that ice cold forehead patch available in the Philippines still (the one they use for fever)?  This is quite popular among hardcore Jap gamers who spend their whole day glued in front of a some kind of monitor. It makes sense because extended viewing without any sort of protection kinda makes your face feel warm.

Or simply do some stretching after about an hour of watching.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
Here's a good answer from Cecil Adams:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_105.html

Eye damage from radiation, no; but eye strain, yes.  There's  an interesting dicussion about TV radiation:  X-rays from old TVs.  But the jury's still out regarding the myopia issue.

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008 at 02:00 PM by barrister »

Offline byron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Audio and Video Phile Beginner
  • Liked:
Hi, somehow, I lost track of this thread... weird as it does not pop up in my "show new replies to your posts" link.  anyways, Barrister - GREAT article.  I think it diffuses a lot of the FUD.  My son LIKES to watch TV at point blank distances - dang.  We've been constantly scolding him about this (He's 2 by the way haha).

Anyways, we only have a pair of eyes.  Can't risk it.

Thanks for all of your inputs! 

special thanks to Barrister and Clondalkin

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
You're very welcome, sir.

Please monitor your son's vision.  When kids like to watch TV too close, it's usually a sign of eye problems.  They tend to sit way too close because they see a blurred image from a farther distance.   

That's where the old wives' tale comes from ---  A child has bad eyesight, but nobody notices because he's too young.  The only thing the adults notice is that he likes to watch TV too close.  A few years later, the parents eventually discover that the child has eye problems. The parents suddenly remember that their child watches TV too close.  The parents conclude that watching TV too close causes bad eyesight, when in fact it's the other way around.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2008 at 11:56 AM by barrister »