Author Topic: HD-DVD's...sell them now or keep them as collector items?  (Read 2698 times)

Offline chuck427

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bluray=103 PS3=12 DVD=139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
for those with HD movies..do u plan to sell them? or will u keep them for collecting purposes?
Tosh46FHD,Denon1905,BDP1000,PS3,Wii,XBOX360,PhillipsUPDVD,Wharf

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: HD-DVD's...sell them now or keep them as collector items?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 09:46 PM »

Slightly OT: just in case you plan to sell, I'll be interested in some titles... obviously, going back to topic, I am keeping both my HD-DVD and BluRay titles :)

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2378
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 12:21 AM »
Planning to keep mine. Deals of 8 to 12 dollar discs, I will buy them for sure.

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 06:18 AM »
same here, just waiting for a better disc price. in fact, i just bought another player [D3]. but would sell  the two free disc [300 and Bourne Identity]
There's something to learn everyday

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 11:02 AM »
I'm keeping them for collecting purposes and as conversation pieces that I show to friends and relatives who visit.

Unlike others, I would never consider buying another title, though. I survived the Beta-VHS war, ultimately buying probably dozens of titles on both formats (then again on Laserdisc, then on DVD!  :o), and I really don't want to double-triple-quadruple dip on titles any further when my HD DVD player eventually dies. I imagine getting it repaired in the future in the Philippines will be close to impossible.

It's not only an expense thing, but mainly it's a space/clutter issue already for me.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2008 at 11:03 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 12:57 PM »
I imagine getting it repaired in the future in the Philippines will be close to impossible.

Bros, please keep the case of your HD DVD Players reasonably ok (that is, wag masyadong magasgas).   I might buy yours when it conks out because Toshiba published a full page add in today's Japanese newspaper about their continued customer support for that product.   That's 8 years of spare parts availability for the HD DVD in Japan.  Meanwhile, I'm on a lookout for $50 add-on drives as well.

Offline chuck427

• DVD Guru
  • Bluray=103 PS3=12 DVD=139
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 09:31 AM »
I'm keeping them for collecting purposes and as conversation pieces that I show to friends and relatives who visit.

Unlike others, I would never consider buying another title, though. I survived the Beta-VHS war, ultimately buying probably dozens of titles on both formats (then again on Laserdisc, then on DVD!  :o), and I really don't want to double-triple-quadruple dip on titles any further when my HD DVD player eventually dies. I imagine getting it repaired in the future in the Philippines will be close to impossible.

It's not only an expense thing, but mainly it's a space/clutter issue already for me.

i agree..but im hoping that hd prices will drop so i can buy more..hehehe
Tosh46FHD,Denon1905,BDP1000,PS3,Wii,XBOX360,PhillipsUPDVD,Wharf

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 03:11 PM »
sana lang i can get my hands on a player cheap when mine conks out :)

its funny how people are not afraid of having their dvds become obsolete.

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 03:44 PM »

until HDTVs become the norm, DVD is here to stay

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 05:04 PM »

Toshiba will support HD DVD for 8 years from March 2008.  I think you have relatives in the US so worst case and if you really really want to, you can have a dead machine resurrected either in the US or Japan.

Based on experience, old collections of DVDs don't become obsolete.  After a few years, I simply don't have the excitement/interest and especially time to re-watch them instead of new releases or new TV shows, unless talagang walang wala nang mapanood na bago.  When was the last time I watched my LOTR Special Extended Edition Trilogy - 2 or 3 years maybe.  So even if I pay $20 or $30 for a title right now, nasulit ko na yung value non after a few years so it doesn't matter what happens to that particular media/media player beyond that.  I feel exactly the same for my HD DVD disks.   

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 10:49 AM »
Toshiba will support HD DVD for 8 years from March 2008.  I think you have relatives in the US so worst case and if you really really want to, you can have a dead machine resurrected either in the US or Japan.

Based on experience, old collections of DVDs don't become obsolete.  After a few years, I simply don't have the excitement/interest and especially time to re-watch them instead of new releases or new TV shows, unless talagang walang wala nang mapanood na bago.  When was the last time I watched my LOTR Special Extended Edition Trilogy - 2 or 3 years maybe.  So even if I pay $20 or $30 for a title right now, nasulit ko na yung value non after a few years so it doesn't matter what happens to that particular media/media player beyond that.  I feel exactly the same for my HD DVD disks.   

i totally agree. sana lang talaga dual format players come out cheap someday for those who have hd dvd disks. the only reason why im happy with my hd dvd purchases is because i got them at dvd prices...region 1 dvd prices at least or close to that.

ill be bummed if i got them for 1.8k each here in the philippines