Author Topic: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO - INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER  (Read 126453 times)

Online Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
Re: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO - INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER
« Reply #30 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 09:56 AM »
Maganda yan 740 and 840 series. I heard the 740C + 740A saka 840C + 840E + 840W, really nice if you like the Cambridge sound. Mas refined kesa sa 640 and lower series. Kelan kaya labas dito ang 550 / 650 series.

840A (Integrated Amp) internals:

840E (Preamp) internals:

840W (Power Amp) internals:
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2009 at 12:44 PM by Stagea »

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Mar 13, 2010 at 09:02 AM »
The 550C/550A and 650C/650A combos sound noticeably more balanced and refined vs. the older 540C/540A and 640C/640A (the sound is now more mature and closer to the 740/840). It's also possible to play them louder without hitting a wall with clipping, despite the same continuous power ratings. This is because the new models have noticeably more dynamic headroom.

As with the 540 and 640 brothers, the same differences apply to the 550 vs the 650. The 650C shows a little better stereo separation and imaging vs. the 550C, but both are impressively detailed at the price. The 650A plays louder and has a little more drive, but otherwise has the same character as the 550A.

Aesthetics had also significantly improved with brushed aluminum or anodized black finishes. These look classier than the older power-coated finishes. The remote is just a new revision of the familiar aluminum faced Cambridge remote. Take note that these new remotes wouldn't control older Cambridge gear.

After several opportunities of listening to them, I really think that they're an absolute bargain. The resolution of higher end gear is there, but without the price. Beginner got a pair in black. I want to hear what he thinks.

Also, to those who've been waiting for 5th Ave. to restock the DacMagic, they now have it available.

Offline beginner

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: Mar 13, 2010 at 05:19 PM »
I'm just beginning to learn the ropes of this hobby but from a beginner's ears, the 550A/C combo simply just suits my listening preference. Unlike its predecessors whose highs were a bit too harsh for me, the 550A/C combo presented a very balanced tone. The highs and mids were richly detailed (a trademark of Cambridge Audio, I guess). But what I liked the most about this combo is it's ability to dynamically reproduce (tama ba term?) any sound and at the same time mixing a tad of smoothness and tonal balance in it's delivery.

I chose the black over the silver to match my current HT setup. The silver was also nice! Both are in brushed aluminum finish and the front plate looks solid.

Well, all these, coming from a beginner's perspective so you might wanna listen to the system yourself. Both Master Stagea and I listened and compared different setups, NADs, Roksan, Dareds, Cayins, CAs, etc. They were all good, although hinde ko mahanap yung ok sa pandinig ko, until I auditioned this setup.  I'm now a happy camper. ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010 at 01:48 AM by beginner »

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Mar 14, 2010 at 08:16 AM »
Awesome stuff Master Beginner. There'd be many more happy listening hours for you. :)

When are we spending time to look for matching speakers? Hehehe.

Offline beginner

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2010 at 10:39 AM »
Ah oo nga pala... naghihintay pala yung "ar eks tu"... wehehehe

Offline beginner

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Mar 14, 2010 at 10:42 AM »
I'd like to know kung ano speakers ng mga fellow CA users. Para sana dumami option at mapapakinggan.

Thanks!

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Mar 14, 2010 at 12:46 PM »
I'd like to know kung ano speakers ng mga fellow CA users. Para sana dumami option at mapapakinggan.
Oo nga, curious din ako. :)
Mga nasubukan ko na Cambridge and speaks:
340A/C, 540A, 640A/C, 740A/C, 840E/W/A/C
PSB Alpha B1, Image B25, Imagine T
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, 9.3, 9.4, 9.6
B&W 683, CM9
Mordaunt Short Avant 902i
Infinity Primus 160
Mission M53

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Mar 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM »
I don't have much experience with your newer gen gear, but I prefer the older ones with relatively warm / full-sounding speakers such as Mordaunts or Wharfedales. That gives a little more body to the sound. :)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010 at 06:48 PM »

Showta mo master?  ;D

Had the opportunity to audition the CA combo. Great detail and warmth. Very transparent pa. CA cdp ang next target ko for future upgrade.

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010 at 07:07 PM »
Oo Master Nelson, pinadala sakin ng Cambridge Audio bilang loyalty award.  :D

Ayan na si Master Nelson. Hahakot na naman ng toys!!! :D

Offline beginner

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010 at 01:50 AM »
Madami loyalty card sa 5th Ave yang si Master Ivan. Kaya nang bumili ng isa pang 840c pag pinagsama-sama ang value.  ;D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010 at 09:51 AM »
Madami loyalty card sa 5th Ave yang si Master Ivan. Kaya nang bumili ng isa pang 840c pag pinagsama-sama ang value.  ;D

Pati daw sa Abesco sandamakmak ang loyalty points nya.

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010 at 09:18 PM »
Lokoloko kayo. Di ko nga alam ang mga pinagsasasabi niyo... sa bangketa lang ako namimili.

Kayong dalawa diyan ang hakot ng hakot ng bagong toys.

Offline parker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2010 at 07:30 AM »
good day. where is the 550a available and how much?
thank you.
troll - naughty not evil.

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2010 at 08:32 AM »
5th Avenue or Avesco. Some shops may not have it in stock, so you may want to call in advance if you'd like to setup a demo. It's best if you can bring your partnering equipment for testing, though it can be quite tedious as you'd be walking in the mall with it. If you're buying from scratch, I suggest you hear this amp with the partnering 550C (or 650C) and Mordaunt-Short Mezzo speaks (5th Ave./Avesco also carries this).

Though I usually get my stuff from the Trinoma branch, they probably have the worst listening room. For the 5th Ave/Avesco shops I've been to, I think the Edsa Shang 5th Ave. branch is most conducive to listening. This is followed by the Park Square 5th Ave. branch, then the Cubao Avesco office.

Most other branches have cramped listening areas which put the speakers and the listener too close to walls, and prevents the listener from stretching out to a more domestic listening distance. Reflections also abound in these rooms because of the proximity of glass shelves, sliding doors, etc. Some don't even have enough space for speaker stands.

As for pricing, I'm not sure if they changed recently... but the 550A and the 550C used to sell for 20.8k each (12 mo. / 0 %), and the 650A and the 650C used to sell for 25.8k each on the same terms.

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2010 at 11:48 AM »
thank you.

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM »
i might pay them (trinoma)a visit later this afternoon.
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2010 at 06:08 PM by parker »

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2010 at 12:31 PM »
by the way. does the 550a come with a power chord? do you have their contact phone number?
ty again.

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2010 at 06:57 PM »
Yes, it comes with a power cord (two of them usually... the other is for euro sockets).

You can reach them through 916-0014 or 901-5659. Numbers for other branches can be seen here:
http://www.5thavenue.com.ph/content.asp?cid=65
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010 at 07:05 PM by Stagea »

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2010 at 08:48 PM »
ty again. i went there and got it. we tested it with the ms floor stander avant 916i and the mezzo 2 bookshelf. cd/ jml trio live at the royal festival hall. it drove the ms floorstander easily. high was natural, and surprisingly the bass impressed me too. the vol. knob was about 10 o'clock.trilok gurtu/percussionist of jml trio blew me away! very detailed amp.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2010 at 02:51 PM by parker »

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2010 at 12:47 AM »
You're welcome. Congratulations with your new gear. :) The higher volume setting is normal, because CA employs a milder gain structure. You can easily spin the knob past 12 o' clock without clipping the output. If you turn on the intelligent clipping detection feature, the amp will automatically lower volume when it starts to clip (one of the features I really like).

Yes, CA gear retrieve details very well in general. Did you try the 650A while you were there? The 550A and the 650A are very similar in character (the mids and highs are nearly identical), but the 650A has a bit more control over the lows.

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2010 at 06:13 AM »
i am very happy with this product. sound is detailed, natural and well balanced. again, ty for the very helpful info. i can also recommend this product with all confidence. by the way, i have a standing order for their outboard phono stage :)

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010 at 06:48 AM »
You're very welcome. :) The 640P/540P phono stages are great for the price.

Dumadami na tayong mga kampon ni Matthew Bramble. :P

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2010 at 08:56 AM »
i am very happy with this product. sound is detailed, natural and well balanced. again, ty for the very helpful info. i can also recommend this product with all confidence. by the way, i have a standing order for their outboard phono stage :)

Congratulations!!! Good decision. Very detailed talaga and bang for the buck compared sa price & SQ of other brands.

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2010 at 02:07 PM »
thank you ivan, thank you nelson.

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2010 at 07:00 PM »
good day ivan. called up ronnie to follow up on the phono stage.will be available by august. also told ron about your referral.
thank you.

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jun 01, 2010 at 12:17 AM »
good day ivan. called up ronnie to follow up on the phono stage.will be available by august. also told ron about your referral.
thank you.

Hi Parker. Good day to you too. Wow, they ran out of stock? I hope your unit arrives sooner.

You're very welcome, thanks as well.
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2010 at 12:17 AM by Stagea »

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jun 01, 2010 at 06:50 AM »
after listening to the ms 916i/550a/c,i was impressed how this elegant 60 watter drove the floorstanders.
the sound was complete. bass tight, highs natural overall sound was detailed and well balanced(not bright,dull nor boomy) vol level 10oclk at first, then a tad over 9. speaker wires were ordinary 16ga and interconnects/ ca artic, cd/jml trio royal festival hall.enjoyed listening to this setup with ronnie while wife was shopping with kids.yes, i went home with the ca 550a.
*note- as ivan said. listening room not so ideal.
after this, wife wanted to get some items at sm north edsa and i ended up getting the ms carnival 6 with the 916i in mind.

now im breaking them in.

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2010 at 02:52 PM by parker »

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jun 01, 2010 at 08:09 AM »
Wow, 3 items in a row (amp, speakers and phono stage). :D Audio Partnership should give you a rebate.  :D Congrats again with your new purchase. :)

Did you get the Carnival 6 from 5th Ave. or from SM Appliance? Those speakers are closely related to the Gale 3040. They don't have the outright resolution or the sharp image of the Avant line (images are a bit diffused), but they are still very pleasing to listen to. Stereophile rates the Carnivals very highly. Based on their ratings of different gear,  I think Stereophile in general prefers a bolder, warmer, and enveloping sound, while What-HiFi puts a bit more focus on detail, imaging, and depth (and tends to prefer a leaner delivery).

For MS speaks, I think the Mezzos deliver the best bang/buck. The Performance line is better, but is so much dearer. The Avianos are still great and are very dynamic (excellent for HT), but they're a very noticeable drop from the Mezzos in terms of fine detail and depth. The Avants are similar to Avianos, but sound brighter and are more brash. The Carnivals are very different sounding from the rest of the MS line, due to their Gale origins. They have a warmer, more Wharfedale-like disposition.

Offline beginner

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jun 01, 2010 at 09:36 AM »
Congratulations on your purchase Sir Parker! I'm sure you're enjoying the setup right now.  ;D By the way, good choice of speakers to pair with your 550a.