Author Topic: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO - INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER  (Read 126458 times)

Offline parker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO - INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER
« Reply #60 on: Jun 01, 2010 at 10:13 AM »
the 550a can drive them (ms carnival 6) with ease. this potent 60watter plus the ms c6, sound neutral, detailed, and sweet.(a tad over 9 oclock)

i was looking for 5th ave sm north, got lost. so i got them ms c6 at the abenson.

i am writing this post with a big fat smile :). again ivan, thank you.

cds i used for the breakin period. john mclaughlin trio,john abercrombie,oregon,bill evans (alone &  blue in green)joe henderson with dave holland.....this moment..tribal tech-scott henderson. whoooooooooo!

last night a dvd of mike stern with d chambers,r bona,b franceschini......another whoooooooooooo!

cant wait for the phono stage.

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2010 at 07:08 PM by parker »
troll - naughty not evil.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #61 on: Jun 01, 2010 at 11:05 AM »
You're very welcome. We're all so glad to hear that you're enjoying your recent purchases. :)

5th Avenue - SM North is in the new Annex building at the topmost floor. It's close to the elevator on the east side of the building. They have a similarly cramped listening area, but it's of a slightly better shape (narrower, but longer) and has a bit more noise isolation (there's a sliding door that you can close to shut off outside noise).

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #62 on: Jun 01, 2010 at 08:41 PM »
Mukhang masarap mag audition ng mga gears CA users ngayon ah...!

Offline yurikristov

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jun 03, 2010 at 09:27 AM »
pleasant day masters, this is my first post here as am a newbie in this hobby. . i am planning to buy a 650a, i haven't auditioned it yet but i see great reviews around, it also suites my listening preference, something on the bright side, clear vocals, detailed & clear separation. . im planning to pair it with paradigm atom monitor, as it also has great reviews & the setup is swak to my budget. ;D can you please comment on my preferred setup, also maybe you can recommend other bookshelf speakers falling in the 15k price that will pair best with the 650. thank you very much.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jun 03, 2010 at 10:31 AM »
pleasant day masters, this is my first post here as am a newbie in this hobby. . i am planning to buy a 650a, i haven't auditioned it yet but i see great reviews around, it also suites my listening preference, something on the bright side, clear vocals, detailed & clear separation. . im planning to pair it with paradigm atom monitor, as it also has great reviews & the setup is swak to my budget. ;D can you please comment on my preferred setup, also maybe you can recommend other bookshelf speakers falling in the 15k price that will pair best with the 650. thank you very much.

Naku, may kilala akong naka-Cambridge Paradigm combo din. Haven't auditioned it yet pero he also prefers that combo. Kaka-kulam lang niya kay parker...

Paging SQ Master Stagea...

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jun 03, 2010 at 04:56 PM »
Loko ka Master Nelson.

@yurikristov

I suggest you hear it for yourself. The Paradigm + Cambridge Audio sounds a bit too bright and sizzly for me, but some people might like it (perhaps in a dead room).

Check out the MS Mezzo 1 if it would fit the bill. Less expensive options are the PSB Image B6 / B25, the MS Aviano 1 / 2 and the Wharfedale Diamond 9.3 / 10.2.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2010 at 12:28 AM by Stagea »

Offline yurikristov

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jun 03, 2010 at 07:16 PM »
Tnx for the inputs gentlemen. :)
this afternoon sir docsialu was kind enough to invite me in his clinic and audition his gears, an aurum cantus leisure(cant remember the exact model) powered by a dared mp5 via phono. . the turntable reminded me of my younger years. ;D
All this time i thought i was in love with aggressive, bright sounds, but when i heard doc sandy's gear sang, oh my! instant auditory bliss.hehe to think that the speakers were only powered by a 13watts pc amp,i had goosebumps every time doc changes the vinyl record, paganda ng paganda pini-play niya, now i know why audiophiles still use phonos, its like the songs have souls. . the bottom line, now i know what i really want, warm & detailed with a little emotion.hehe
big thanks to doc sandy,he helped me realized what i really want. ;D

Offline beginner

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jun 04, 2010 at 12:06 AM »
The paradigm atom monitor sounds a bit too bright for me. Having heard it with a NAD amp, I think, paired with a CA amp, it would all be too bright and a bit "stressful" for prolonged listening. IMHO, the PSBs would sound better with the 650a. Of course, it's always better to hear it for yourself. Audition until you find audio bliss.  :D
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2010 at 12:09 AM by beginner »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jun 05, 2010 at 08:31 AM »
Audition until you find audio bliss.  :D

Meron ba nito?  :D  :D  :D

Walang katapusan.

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jun 05, 2010 at 09:27 AM »
yes, insatiable. the best equipment cant permanently control the audio bug.

its all about having fun :)

a little aint enough! DAVID LEE ROTH. :)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jun 05, 2010 at 05:07 PM »
Nice meeting Guru Nelson, Guru Joey and Guru Tony. Thanks for all the inputs, madami po akong natutunan.

Guru Nelson, salamat sa mga pabaon mong Goldmund, Lindell, Wisdom at Steinway Lyngdorf. Sa uulitin po. :)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jun 05, 2010 at 08:38 PM »
Nice and simple set-up you got there Parker este Joey.  ;D

It was very kind of you master Stagea to grace us with your presence.

That combo is very potent. Very relaxing. Sarap siguro matulog sa bed mo.  :D Very revealing system as well.

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jun 05, 2010 at 09:06 PM »
guru ivan, thank you.your accurate info about audio stuff was most helpful.

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jun 05, 2010 at 09:34 PM »
guru nelson,thank you for the great company and adjusting the speakers to position perfectly.
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2010 at 06:05 PM by parker »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jun 05, 2010 at 11:28 PM »
You can use curtains for reflections. I bought a thin upholstery (cuz it's cheaper) and had it sewn para maycurtain and divider ako. Works very well for me.  :D

Offline beginner

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jun 06, 2010 at 06:43 AM »
Wow! Sounded like you guys had all the audio fun this weekend. Nainggit ako a. Hehe!

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jun 06, 2010 at 07:01 AM »
Master Beginner, you should've heard how those Carnivals sang. I didn't know that 10k speaks can sound this good.   

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jun 06, 2010 at 07:42 AM »
master beginner youre most welcome. cant wait for the phono stage :)

a little aint enough.... even when your having fun!!! :)
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2010 at 08:21 PM by parker »

Offline beginner

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jun 06, 2010 at 08:04 AM »
a little aint enough even when your having fun!!! :)

Haha! That is very true Master Joey! There will always be that craving that wasn't satisfied. And so, on to new gears.  ;D

If Master Ivan was impressed, then those Carnivals I definitely need to listen to. The last time I've heard a good set of speakers within the <10k price range were the 9.3s.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jun 06, 2010 at 10:39 AM »
Guru Joey,

Guru Raz aka Master
Beginner is a SQ god hehehe.

Would you like to setup a Diamond vs. Carnival comparo? Hehehe. I can take a pair of price-comparable Diamonds to your place.

Master Beginner,

These Carnivals sound very sweet indeed. The setup just worked well together.

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jun 06, 2010 at 05:32 PM »
scared. the more you know the more you hunger/thirst.

yes, budget equipment have gone a long way master stagea.

past hi-end technology come cheap nowadays :)

question? how will the famous lexicon decoder of the top gun era(movie) compare  with the present 30k level av receiver?
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2010 at 06:04 PM by parker »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jun 06, 2010 at 06:58 PM »
Decoders and supported formats these days are far more sophisticated. Resolution is also way beyond what was feasible in the past. The downsides are that high integration can increase interaction between components, and that the amp section of budget receivers won't match robust amps... Whether in the past or in the present.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jun 06, 2010 at 07:07 PM »
scared. the more you know the more you hunger/thirst.

yes, budget equipment have gone a long way master stagea.

past hi-end technology come cheap nowadays :)

question? how will the famous lexicon decoder of the top gun era(movie) compare  with the present 30k level av receiver?

New AVRs have new decoder for new movies.

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jun 06, 2010 at 07:34 PM »
thank you gurus :)

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 11:33 AM »
mordaunt short (customer care system)

Bi-wiring means using separate runs of speaker cable to the HF and LF terminals on a loudspeaker. The intention is to gain some of the benefits of biamping (where each driver is driven by a separate amp) at substantially lower cost. There are two methods of biwiring from Cambridge amps.

The first is to connect both LF and HF runs of speaker cable to a single set of terminals on the amp and run them to their respective connections on the loudspeakers. With some smaller Amplifiers, this is the only option as they only have a single set of left and right terminals.

The other option is to connect one set of cables to speaker A and the other to speaker B and run them to their respective terminals on the speakers. This has the advantage that 4mm plug terminations can be used on the cables and it can often be easier to wire a single set of cables to each set of terminals. In all cases you will need to ensure that both speaker A and speaker B are selected.

good day
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010 at 11:47 AM by parker »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 02:39 PM »
Biwiring supposedly reduces interaction between the LF and HF parts of the speaker as the back-EMFs from one side (mostly from the LF side) only meets the other side (HF side) in the amp (or just outside the amp, depending on the config), where they are mostly shorted out.

Some speakers may benefit more than others. Thin wires also reduce damping, and thus allow more back-EMF to do damage to the output (in this case, individual lines would probably make an audible impact). The lower the speaker output impedance of the amp, the greater the effect (hence this theoretically works better with SS gear than with less grippy tube gear). Some also choose to use different cables for the LF and HF sides for tuning purposes.

Of course, there is also the argument that thicker wires will do the same effect (and since the thicker wire feeds both LF and HF parts, both can benefit from the reduced resistance). A larger, higher-quality cable can be purchased instead of a pair of mediocre cables. Again, whichever floats the person's boat. Things can work great either way. :)
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010 at 02:40 PM by Stagea »

Offline beginner

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jun 16, 2010 at 11:56 AM »
The site has been down for a few days. And during those days, I'm guessing Sir Stagea has grab a hold of another 840?  :o

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jun 16, 2010 at 12:22 PM »
The site has been down for a few days. And during those days, I'm guessing Sir Stagea has grab a hold of another 840?  :o

Nagkakalat ka na naman ng chismis. For sure ikaw ang may new toys. :D

Offline beginner

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jun 16, 2010 at 12:36 PM »
Haha! Let's wait and see.  ::)

I wonder how the whole 840 system would sound with your B&Ws? Probably more detailed but warmer?

OT:
Do you think a tube buffer would help in making my system sound a bit warmer? Minsan kse gusto ko rin marinig malalamig na boses sa mga audiophile voices tracks. The CAs give great detail (which I prefer) pero minsan maganda rin may variation. Especially when we listened again to that PSB Imagine T + NAD combo. Malambing. Hehe!
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM by beginner »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jun 16, 2010 at 07:24 PM »
The 840C is not a warm-sounding player. It has better focus, with very defined images. The 740C sounds very precise compared to most other players in the price range, but it could not match the 840C when it comes to rendering positional information and layering.

A tube buffer will probably make your system airier and smoother (depending on the design and the tubes, it might also add some warmth). The added air is from even-order harmonic distortion, and the smoothness is from the natural compression caused by tube operation. The downside is that you may lose the clean sound, the instrument attack, and the dynamics that you are now used to. If you just want a warmer sound, you can play with your tone controls... or change your speakers. You might also want to rethink your future speaker choice, as MAs are not exactly the warmest speakers around.