Author Topic: Closed NEW Piracy Topic  (Read 11677 times)

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Closed NEW Piracy Topic
« on: Apr 03, 2008 at 01:12 AM »
That's great news.  Dapat talaga P150 na lang and regular prices ng mga legit DVDs, whether single to dual discs.  With the new high def formats and the pirated copies of Blu ray and HD DVDs that have higher video bitrates than these origs, they better halve their prices or they'll end up with unsold inventories.   ;D  Except maybe for those with unique or better packaging like steelbooks.

Sir av, I finally got the chance to test those dummies....MALUPIT NGA TALAGA!  :o  I was at Astro SM Makati earlier and got nothing. It seems there is someone whispering at my back......."p**ted BD/HD mas malinaw"   ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2008 at 12:07 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 10:22 AM »
That's great news.  Dapat talaga P150 na lang and regular prices ng mga legit DVDs, whether single to dual discs.  With the new high def formats and the pirated copies of Blu ray and HD DVDs that have higher video bitrates than these origs, they better halve their prices or they'll end up with unsold inventories.   ;D  Except maybe for those with unique or better packaging like steelbooks.

And their DVD9s pa.  7.0++ GB!  Sus ginoo ...

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 01:28 PM »
Yup, i also tried some titles... grabe, napahiya yung mga origs ko ha :o  (but still, its illegal pa rin ;))
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 02:40 PM »
Wow  :o they've finally cracked Blu-Ray discs?

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 03:06 PM »
Wow  :o they've finally cracked Blu-Ray discs?

No these are pirated DVDs on DVD9 discs..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 09:41 PM »

Ah, grabe. Thought Blu-Ray finally succumbed to capt. Jack.

Offline 2001

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 11:41 PM »
IMHO, buying pirated DVDs isn't aLways a bad thing consumer-wise because some reaLLy have superior quaLity compared to the orig. R3 reLeases, and sometimes better packaging, and cheaper prices of course.

HeLL, you can't bLame most peopLe and some movie buffs for buying pirated DVDs when ang orig. na minsan Low quaLity na, eh 5x more expensive pa. (I'm Looking at the LocaL reLeases  >:() And most important of aLL, you can't find fiLms Like Taxi Driver, PuLp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Memento, American Beauty, or North by Northwest in a LocaL orig. DVD store.

I'm not saying that you guys shouLd engage in buying pirated DVDs, its just that sometimes, parang tayo naman ang niLoLoko ng "Senator" Bong ReviLLa (I reaLLy hate this guy) na yan na nagsasabing huwag bumiLi ng pirated DVDs because they have Low quaLity, its steaLing, etc. when sometimes the orig DVD distributors themseLves ang parang nagnanakaw at naLoLoko sa mga consumers.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2008 at 11:49 PM by 2001 »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2008 at 04:10 AM »
Careful guys, a couple of threads have already been locked away due to piracy discussions.  I just pointed out that it really would make more marketing sense for legit distributors to halve even their 299 and 399, much more their 550 and 750 titles.   Those tiangge DVDs offer a true alternative source today with their DVD9 superbit copies of HD and BD sources.   Despite whatever those intellectual property laws tell you, there's really nothing anyone can do to stop piracy.  Not even the GATT or all the commercial clout of Uncle Sam can do anything about it in third world countries.  Sorry guys, in a capitalist free market economy, it's still value for the money that has primacy over any laws out there.  If  buyers find more value in a commodity, they'll gravitate to it.   These days, those DVD9 copies of HD and BD titles offer just that.  As they say, you cannot legislate against supply and demand.  Copyright laws are a feeble attempt at it.   ;D  So the sooner those legit regular DVDs come down in prices to the level of these alternate sources, the better for their business. 
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008 at 04:14 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2008 at 04:13 AM »
Ah, grabe. Thought Blu-Ray finally succumbed to capt. Jack.

Actually, some BD and HD titles have been hacked and are downloadable as 1080p video files from some torrent sites already, 30gb - 40gb files that can take days to download.  ;D  It's the direct duplication to HD and BR discs that's still not economically feasible. 

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008 at 04:22 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline upinsmoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2008 at 10:08 AM »
parang tayo naman ang niLoLoko ng "Senator" Bong ReviLLa (I reaLLy hate this guy) na yan na nagsasabing huwag bumiLi ng pirated DVDs because they have Low quaLity, its steaLing, etc. when sometimes the orig DVD distributors themseLves ang parang nagnanakaw at naLoLoko sa mga consumers.

I bought Babel on DVD from Astro.  Why don't we show that to Bong?  After I got burned a few times by the DVD distributors themselves, I just stopped my spontaneous buying.  Every title I want to buy has to be checked here and recheck.  My DVD buying habit slowed down.  I've also went with "alternative" sources.

It's funny isn't it?  They are trying to sell us the idea that legit DVDs are better, trying to condition the buyers mentality to buy legit but they themselves would sometimes try and slip in low quality crap out with the intent to fool their customers.  Why am I going to pay good money for a DVD5 movie when the alternative vendors sells the DVD9 version?  The newer higher-bit DVD9 movies are also entering the market.

All it takes is one lie to ruin 100 truths.  I wonder if that one lie is worth it?  Customers are not idiots.  You can hear them talk during the sale.  They are iffy on picking up DVDs they are not familiar with.  I heard them mention yesterday "baka fullscreen ito.."  "malabo siguro ito..." and they kept asking the reps if there are two versions of it.

Our local DVD industry has to realize there are options out there, literally around the corner.  Better price, better selection and better quality.  DSL is getting cheaper as well.  They can't afford to keep screwing their customers.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008 at 10:52 AM by upinsmoke »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2008 at 11:26 AM »
I haven't seen MI:3 and Munich around for a long time now.  If anyone have seen those let me know.  I'm also looking for Shoot em' Up.

Saw a complete set of MI at astro podium a few months back.  But maybe the sale had wiped them out.  ;D  Of course you can get individually. 
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008 at 05:51 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2008 at 12:31 PM »
I bought Babel on DVD from Astro.  Why don't we show that to Bong?  After I got burned a few times by the DVD distributors themselves, I just stopped my spontaneous buying.  Every title I want to buy has to be checked here and recheck.  My DVD buying habit slowed down.  I've also went with "alternative" sources.

It's funny isn't it?  They are trying to sell us the idea that legit DVDs are better, trying to condition the buyers mentality to buy legit but they themselves would sometimes try and slip in low quality crap out with the intent to fool their customers.  Why am I going to pay good money for a DVD5 movie when the alternative vendors sells the DVD9 version?  The newer higher-bit DVD9 movies are also entering the market.

All it takes is one lie to ruin 100 truths.  I wonder if that one lie is worth it?  Customers are not idiots.  You can hear them talk during the sale.  They are iffy on picking up DVDs they are not familiar with.  I heard them mention yesterday "baka fullscreen ito.."  "malabo siguro ito..." and they kept asking the reps if there are two versions of it.

Our local DVD industry has to realize there are options out there, literally around the corner.  Better price, better selection and better quality.  DSL is getting cheaper as well.  They can't afford to keep screwing their customers.

Legits WERE generally better.  If you are talking about those extra features and some with clearly superior packaging like steelbooks, then they can claim to be better.

But when you are just interested in the movie and see those emerging DVD9 copies of high def sources and with really excellent printing qualities, you only need to get a good Amaray case and that throws any claim of legits generally being better out the window.   ;D

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2008 at 12:46 PM »

Not because you bought your DVD at Astro or any other retail store automatically means you bought an ORIG copy. I'm seeing Bong Revilla's name here, isn't it during his time as the head of an agency (the former OMB) that was the time a number of duplicating machines were confiscated? Ever wonder where those machines are? Your guess is as good as mine.

Now who will question this distributors for making locally made low quality DVD's? PARI? Nah...PARI is there to protect (kamamg-anak effect), not to police. One distri made a kick in making this LQ films...the other distri not to be overtaken also did the same thing. One major film outfit was the first to get those duplicating machines during Bong's heydays. "eh 2008 na, luma na yun...naunahan na sila ng Jacks sa HD" yet they still continue to use that.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2008 at 01:51 PM »
Not because you bought your DVD at Astro or any other retail store automatically means you bought an ORIG copy.

I'm sorry, but that sentence is just fundamentally wrong, so I have to interject: If you buy your DVD at Astro, you KNOW FOR SURE that it's an ORIG copy. Whether it's a good copy or not... that's a different question. Generally, the best current guideline is "Viva at 375 on release - BAD. Paragon - BAD."

Oh, and I'm putting my foot down on these discussions right now. If someone's asking where to buy an original copy of a movie, pointing out you can buy fakes is NOT acceptable on these forums. Take that discussion elsewhere, or even in PMs. The posts I'm referring to have been edited. Thank you.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008 at 01:54 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2008 at 04:05 PM »
Our local DVD industry needs to keep up with the times.  They should stop selling exclusive fool-screen-only title or at least give the buyers an option by selling the widescreen version.  Stop selling single-disc DVD5.  Why am I going to spend good money on these when the alternative market is selling the DVD9 version sourced from high-def with better audio?

That's all.  I'm not encouraging any illegal buying.  Someone has to say all this, like a wake up call.  Censoring this topic won't make a difference since other pinoy sites are discussing similar topics.  I think it's better to air out our grievance so they know we want better quality products.  Buying original doesn't carry the same weight it used to be.  Even some of the box art pales in comparison.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008 at 08:29 PM by upinsmoke »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2008 at 05:59 PM »
Yup, totally agree.  I suggest Viva and their kind, if they are reading these posts,  get hold of these copies themselves and wake up to (1) what's out there they are up against, (2) what a crap they themselves are selling compared to these, and (3) that they will have to face the reality they will never get rid of pirates.  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008 at 06:00 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2008 at 06:27 PM »

Oh, and I'm putting my foot down on these discussions right now. If someone's asking where to buy an original copy of a movie, pointing out you can buy fakes is NOT acceptable on these forums. Take that discussion elsewhere, or even in PMs. The posts I'm referring to have been edited. Thank you.

With all due respect, pointing out the alternative source may sound like an encouragement to use that alternative, but it's as much providing the members here the information they need to satisfy their HT hobbies.  It's one thing to actively and strongly support piracy, it's entirely another to accept the realities of DVD sourcing in a third world country.  And to me, pirated DVDs are no different from those generic DVD players.  They both do not pay the right licenses.  The former bypasses the IP royalties due to artists.  The latter bypasses the IP licenses due to Dolby, DTS, mpeg and the DVD consortium.  Intellectual property right violation happens on both hardware and software.   I know it's the policy of this forum not to discuss pirated stuff. I have no quarrel with that.  But if we can discuss generic DVD players as an alternative to branded ones, shouldn't we likewise discuss pirated DVDs as an alternative to original software titles. If you ban discussions in one, you should also ban the other.  I have no problem with that.  But I find allowing one and not the other limiting the useful information we can provide fellow members.   I may be putting that policy into question, but these are just my thoughts.  Hope you don't mind if I air them.   ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008 at 06:36 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline pink moon

• Collector
  • Impetuous! Homeric!
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2008 at 09:55 PM »
DVDs, DVD9s, HDs, BluRays, they're all there...
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008 at 09:56 PM by pink moon »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #18 on: Apr 05, 2008 at 11:33 PM »
I'm not encouraging any illegal buying.  Someone has to say all this, like a wake up call.  Censoring this topic won't make a difference since other pinoy sites are discussing similar topics.  I think it's better to air out our grievance so they know we want better quality products.  Buying original doesn't carry the same weight it used to be.  Even some of the box art pales in comparison.

If I may interject, we've all been through this before. Many discussions have happened in these forums and many sub-forums still have those posts on piracy. Everyone here knows some basics on the issues, everyone here has said it before.

There's a time and place for everything. And I'm glad to know that our comments on the quality of local DVDs are being read (somewhat) by some industry players, which is kind of a testament to this site -- which is also the reason why PinoyDVD is probably different than other sites and forums that have long-winded debates on media piracy.

Personally, we can argue the finer points of legits versus bootlegs until we're all blue in the face. If that's what floats the boat for most of you, then I salute you all.

Like I said, a time and place for everything. And for now, I would rather just talk about having come back from the Astro MOA sale! Woohoo! Especially since this is supposedly the "Sale Alert! Post All Current/Upcoming Mall (Astro, "O," etc.) DVD Sales Here" thread (for anyone that needs to be reminded, that is).

It was like another tiangge sale, lots of people and DVDs priced one thing inside and priced another outside (e.g., Planet Earth priced P1,200 inside and P999 outside). So, always check if they have stocks of the same DVD on all fronts. And I have to say that I'm impressed with some of the DVDs they were selling for only P150-P175.

Yung nga lang, marami pa ring bad quality DVDs from Viva and Paragon. These VCD quality DVDs should really be taken off the shelves already. They are misleading consumers.

Oh my god. A discussion on bad DVDs and no mention of C-interactive releases. What is happening to this world?  ;D

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #19 on: Apr 05, 2008 at 11:37 PM »
Actually, some BD and HD titles have been hacked and are downloadable as 1080p video files from some torrent sites already, 30gb - 40gb files that can take days to download.  ;D  It's the direct duplication to HD and BR discs that's still not economically feasible. 

Taking days to download a copy of a movie probably doesn't make it worth it  ;D But I'll be genuinely impressed if and when Blu-Ray gets cracked and economically feasible like you said.

Offline rico_g

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2008 at 12:32 AM »
Just got myself a copy of a BD copy of The Patriot from Jack Sparrow (curiosity... really is a pain)... I put my original Dual layer DVD and the bootleg on 2 players and 2 TVs to make a comparison.... the result was awefully disheartening...

I sincerely hope our local DVD makers start cranking up a notch the production quality DVDs. I remember the first orig dvd i bought, Serendipity by VIVA... that really turned me off to going legal at the time... it took some good convincing and pieces of advice (on what DVDs to buy, and what not to buy) from ppl here at PDVD to get back to going legal... I honestly think it's more fulfilling to buy the original ones... i hope our local dvd producers realize that this virtue may soon grow extinct if they don't do anything about it.... my two cents.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2008 at 02:23 AM »
Taking days to download a copy of a movie probably doesn't make it worth it  ;D But I'll be genuinely impressed if and when Blu-Ray gets cracked and economically feasible like you said.

Actually, it's well worth the trouble.  Just download overnight.  And leave the PC at home downloading while in the office.  That's if your internet connection is always on.  ;D 

Making it economical to put them on the right discs will take some time.  But by that time, it may no longer be necessary because the industry is already talking about the next generation of high def video as being distributed over the internet.  No more physical discs to bother about.   ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2008 at 12:04 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2008 at 02:39 AM »
Just got myself a copy of a BD copy of The Patriot from Jack Sparrow (curiosity... really is a pain)... I put my original Dual layer DVD and the bootleg on 2 players and 2 TVs to make a comparison.... the result was awefully disheartening...

Not on two set-ups, but I just compared the bitrates on my PC and it was indeed a surprise.  You should see their extended Kingdom of Heaven - a 2-disc BD copy on DVD9 that hovered at 9mbps+ most of the time and rarely went below 8mbps.   ;D

I honestly think it's more fulfilling to buy the original ones... i hope our local dvd producers realize that this virtue may soon grow extinct if they don't do anything about it.... my two cents.

Indeed, but only when they're in steelbooks.  But it can indeed be disheartening when your know a BD copy has a higher bitrate than the same title on my nice steelbook.   :(
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2008 at 03:03 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #23 on: Apr 06, 2008 at 11:11 AM »
Careful guys, a couple of threads have already been locked away due to piracy discussions.  I just pointed out that it really would make more marketing sense for legit distributors to halve even their 299 and 399, much more their 550 and 750 titles.   Those tiangge DVDs offer a true alternative source today with their DVD9 superbit copies of HD and BD sources.   Despite whatever those intellectual property laws tell you, there's really nothing anyone can do to stop piracy.  Not even the GATT or all the commercial clout of Uncle Sam can do anything about it in third world countries.  Sorry guys, in a capitalist free market economy, it's still value for the money that has primacy over any laws out there.  If  buyers find more value in a commodity, they'll gravitate to it.   These days, those DVD9 copies of HD and BD titles offer just that.  As they say, you cannot legislate against supply and demand.  Copyright laws are a feeble attempt at it.   ;D  So the sooner those legit regular DVDs come down in prices to the level of these alternate sources, the better for their business. 

I agree with that. But lets be realistic here. How can the local  supplier or maker of legit r-3 dvds match a blue ray or hd pirated dvd that sells for 70 bucks a pop?
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2008 at 11:14 AM by FLIM »

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #24 on: Apr 06, 2008 at 11:32 AM »
Oh and one thing about buying legit dvds. Soon as it comes out, we see it in the store. We shell out the price lets say 899. Then in a fewmonths you see it in a sale. Down to the price of 299. Which makes you feel like an idiot for buying it in the first place.And im just talking about the single or two disc set. DOnte get me started with the box set collections. I have been burned plenty of times. You get the initial release of INDIANA JONES for 3,600  then you see it in sale for like how much? 999?

So what does an intelligent consumer do? HE HOLDS BACK! I'LL WAIT FOR THE SALE! But how des he curb that need to satisfy his craving to watch the title while waiting for the sale?

He maybe buys a pirated version.Which is supposed to placate him in the interim. So when the sale comes in do you honestly think he's going to fork out his additional buck to get a movie he already has a copy of?

This is not a post glorifying the wonders of patronizing pirated dvds. Im just merely stating a fact.

They shoud release the dvds on a lower price immediately and not use the sale as an excuse to lower their prices down.

Because in the long run they stand to lose more than they thought they would gained.

In the end I dont even know why I am even stating this? Isnt it pretty obvious?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #25 on: Apr 06, 2008 at 11:33 AM »
I agree with that. But lets be realistic here. How can the local  supplier or maker of legit r-3 dvds match a blue ray or hd pirated dvd that sells for 70 bucks a pop?

Good insight.  They really can't.

Firstly, the legit studios will always have a higher production cost because they pay royalties. 

Secondly, the local distributors are limited with what's delivered to them from overseas which are from DVD masters that have been downsampled from digital movies masters.  They can't very well do better by copying BD and HD DVD sources and upping the bitrates.

The least they can do is put all their discs on steelbooks or have better packaging and sell them for P300.  That would bring me back to getting legits. 

On second thought, because I just watch the movies and not the features, I guess with those BD and HD DVD copies with higher bitrates, I find it difficult to convince myself to go back getting legit.  I am just a consumer looking for the best value for my money.  I am no law enforcer.  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #26 on: Apr 06, 2008 at 11:49 AM »
Censoring this topic won't make a difference since other pinoy sites are discussing similar topics.

upinsmoke, I don't give a d**n about what's being discussed in other forums. If I want to censor a thread here that violates this site's policies, I'll do so whether it makes a difference or not.

With all due respect, pointing out the alternative source may sound like an encouragement to use that alternative, but it's as much providing the members here the information they need to satisfy their HT hobbies.

We don't allow this on this site, and YOU KNOW THIS. We've been clear on this since day one, so don't point out generic players to me, that's so NOT on this site's policies, and YOU KNOW THAT, too.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2008 at 11:58 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Closed NEW Pirary Topic
« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2008 at 11:52 AM »
Oh and one thing about buying legit dvds. Soon as it comes out, we see it in the store. We shell out the price lets say 899. Then in a fewmonths you see it in a sale. Down to the price of 299. Which makes you feel like an idiot for buying it in the first place.And im just talking about the single or two disc set. DOnte get me started with the box set collections. I have been burned plenty of times. You get the initial release of INDIANA JONES for 3,600  then you see it in sale for like how much? 999?

So what does an intelligent consumer do? HE HOLDS BACK! I'LL WAIT FOR THE SALE! But how des he curb that need to satisfy his craving to watch the title while waiting for the sale?

He maybe buys a pirated version.Which is supposed to placate him in the interim. So when the sale comes in do you honestly think he's going to fork out his additional buck to get a movie he already has a copy of?

That has been my buying strategy over the last 2 years.  Wait for the sale.  All those titles will eventually end up in the 199, 299 or 350 bin.   I used to even plunk those silly deposits at Astro to reserve a title I want.  ;D

But even those jack sparrows have halved their prices and as recent as Jan, the last regular tiange DVD I got was just P35.  And now with those BD and HD DVD copies selling for P70, Jack has just started a new product life cycle for their wares that will make a veteran DVD consumer wanting value for the money to think twice patronizing even a 199 sale.  Frankly, it no longer makes sense. 

This is not a post glorifying the wonders of patronizing pirated dvds. Im just merely stating a fact.

Exactly my view.  This is PinoyDVD - about helping the local community enjoy their HT hobbies.  I don't think it can be complete without accepting the realities of DVD sourcing in a third world country. 

They shoud release the dvds on a lower price immediately and not use the sale as an excuse to lower their prices down.

Because in the long run they stand to lose more than they thought they would gained.

In the end I dont even know why I am even stating this? Isnt it pretty obvious?

It is.  But the mainstream distributors can hide behind legitimacy and expect our IP law enforcers to eradicate the alternative sources that's giving them competition and continue dictating a carteled price for the market.  But it is plain a 90-yr old hag has more teeth than our IP law enforcers.   ;D  And now with those BD and HD DVD downscaled copies with better video quality at mass prices, the mainstream distributors have a new headache.