Author Topic: PLONING  (Read 7457 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PLONING
« Reply #30 on: Sep 26, 2008 at 08:15 AM »
As part of our Oscar bid for Best Foreign Language Film... Please visit our IMDB account / site at :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1200074/

Your user votes will help increase awareness and ratings on the film as IMDB (the Internet Movie Database) is a commonly used tool in the US and the world over for information and feedback regarding films.

As little Digo would always say, "Amblig"! (That's "Take care" in Cuyonon!)

All the best,

PANORAMANILA PICTURES CO.
Manila, Philippines
www.ploningthemovie.com

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 06:46 PM »
Ploning’ aims for Oscar nod

By Ruben V. Nepales
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 23:16:00 10/18/2008

LOS ANGELES—In the wake of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ announcement that “Ploning” is indeed one of the official entries vying for the Best Foreign Language Film prize, we have noticed that the folk behind the Philippines’ entry are actively pushing for the film to make it as one of the nine finalists and then, hopefully, as one of the five nominees.

Director Dante Nico Garcia and producer Guia Gonzales are in LA, holding screenings of the film that stars Judy Ann Santos, doing media interviews and seeking advice from some Fil-Ams in Hollywood on how to plot a good Oscar nomination campaign. As in years past, the Foreign Language Film category competition is very tough. The list of entries includes films that have earned rave reviews and won awards in film festivals. France’s bet, for example, is “The Class,” recipient of a Palme d’Or from Cannes.

To our recollection, this is the first time that the talents behind a Philippine entry to the Oscars are making an aggressive effort to snag a spot in the short list.

Amusing misadventures

Young, bright and savvy, Guia and her generation just might help revive the moribund Philippine movie industry. Over Starbucks coffee, she shared her amusing misadventures so far to get an Oscar nod for “Ploning,” which she produced along with Judai herself, Jourdan Sebastian and Raymund George Fernandez.

When we met Guia for the second time, she brought Dante with her. Not every first-time director gets to see his work chosen as his country’s Oscar contender. That’s Dante’s achievement in his cinematic ode to his hometown—Cuyo, Palawan—stunningly captured by cinematographer Charlie Peralta. With his work here, Charlie makes a very valid argument for 35mm film instead of digital media. While we ate lunch, Dante shared stories and anecdotes about his beloved island in the Sulu Sea which were as hypnotic as his Cuyonon-accented Tagalog. Deep in “Ploning’s” story of a man’s search for a woman in his past is Dante’s yearning to capture the remote island of his youth on film.

The UP alumnus admitted crying as he told the good news on the phone to Judai, his close friend, that their labor of love prevailed over Sharon Cuneta’s “Caregiver” in a close 3-2 vote by a special committee of the Film Academy of the Philippines. “Naiiyak ako hanggang ngayon,” Dante said. “Parang na-validate ako.” Trying to avoid being misty-eyed, Dante chuckled when he revealed that some of his town mates mistook his movie’s flashbacks and slightly non-linear telling of the story as the result of a budget problem. “Akala nila naubusan kami ng budget kaya nagka-problema sa editing,” he shared with a smile. “Laktaw-laktaw kasi.”

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 06:28 PM »
Ploning gets government support for the Oscars

Philstar.com - Tuesday, November 18

President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and the Film Development Council of the Philippines (FDCP) are giving Ploning, the Philippines' entry to the Oscars, the much-needed support in its bid to make it as a nominee in the Best Foreign Language Film category.

The President and FDCP are shelling out P2.5-M to boost the critically-acclaimed film's chances of making it to the highly-competitive, highly-politicized world of the Oscars.

The amount will go a long way in seeing to it that Ploning gets the attention it needs and deserves in the international film community.

The filmmakers are hiring a highly-recommended public relations company, Murray Weissman and Associates to make the film highly-visible. Its producer, Panoramanila Pictures Co., is also organizing red-carpet premieres and tapping Filipino communities in the US.

Ploning director Dante Nico Garcia, who came back from Los Angeles, reports that the Philippine consulate in Los Angeles, headed by Mary Jo Aragon, has been very supportive. Aragon herself has been sending electronic invites for the exclusive screening of Ploning for prominent Filipinos in California.

Filipino businessman Mike Cucueco is financing a premiere showing in California next month. Another prominent Filipino Ted Benito, on the other hand, is organizing another premiere also showing next month.

Meanwhile, Ploning has been getting good reviews among film experts in the US. Garcia reports that the Kodak theater, where the film was screened, was filled to capacity when Ploning was shown. He was told that it's the first time in the theater's history that this has happened.

"One comment that struck me came from a member of the audience who said that Ploning marks the first time a film from a third world country doesn't tackle poverty or difficulties in life. That's our edge. Ploning has a feel-good topic. It tells a story of love minus the anger," reports Garcia.

He adds that the Filipino businessmen in the US are going all out in supporting the film, knowing that its victory will be a big triumph for the country. It will also boost their business as well.

In the Philippines, Ploning star Judy Ann Santos is also working double time. She is organizing two events: A celebrity auction at Plaza Ibarra, Quezon City on Nov. 28 and a red-carpet ball at Rockwell Tent on Dec. 3 to raise funds for Ploning.

The auction will see stars like Judy Ann, Regine Velasquez, Ogie Alcasid, Boy Abunda, Kris Aquino and others donating clothes, accessories and others to be auctioned off.

The ball, on the other hand, taps renowned artists like Ramon Orlina, who will auction off their works. Price per plate is P10,000. There will also be a raffle draw.

Judy Ann will bring in her expertise as restaurateur to draw up the evening's menu.

"I wake up early to talk to Makati businessmen and ask for their support, too," she adds.

Meanwhile, Judy Ann has just launched her Scents and Blends signature collection. The new product line is an offhsoot of a joint venture between Scents and Blends and Rev'lation International, Inc., the direct selling company which launched Judy Ann's Baby Line in 2006.

Judy Ann is looking at the new business as a way of keeping herself busy and productive when she gets married to Ryan Agoncillo and starts her own family.

"It's easy to combine scenes and come up with a new one," she explains. Judy Ann adds that her collection is eco-friendly and water-based. She goes for a light cologne scent to feel fresh the whole day.

Business is doing well so far. Fanny Serrano reports that Judy Ann's collection has gone out of stock in the US weeks after it first hit the market.

If and when Ploning makes it to the Oscars, Judy Ann promises she will give Angelina Jolie a bottle of cologne from her (Judy Ann's) collection.

"We can also give them out as souvenirs in the Oscars," Judy Ann declares. - Maridol Rañoa-Bismark (Philstar News Service, www.philstar.com)

« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2008 at 06:31 PM by keating »

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #33 on: Dec 06, 2008 at 11:00 PM »
OUT now on DVD at 425p. via GMA films..
not much special features except for a behind the scenes documentary. :D

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Dec 07, 2008 at 12:08 AM »
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Dec 07, 2008 at 01:42 AM »

^ Saw this one as well. Is it a good thing that it was released by GMA Video and not by PARAGON? Notice the label DVD 5 at the front and back cover. Mukhang sealed pa a jekoy. :)

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2008 at 02:56 PM »
onga. i haven't watched it yet 'cause i have seen it in theaters.  i really just bought it to support the film in its endeavor to make it to the oscars.  :D

actually, that dvd-5 logo in front was annoying.  i don't think that there's a need to put it there. akala siguro ng gma films home video na sobrang mahalaga ang detail na 'yun.  knowing it's dvd-9, yes. pero dvd-5? pwede namang ilagay sa back cover art.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Dec 09, 2008 at 02:04 AM »
onga. i haven't watched it yet 'cause i have seen it in theaters.  i really just bought it to support the film in its endeavor to make it to the oscars.  :D

actually, that dvd-5 logo in front was annoying.  i don't think that there's a need to put it there. akala siguro ng gma films home video na sobrang mahalaga ang detail na 'yun.  knowing it's dvd-9, yes. pero dvd-5? pwede namang ilagay sa back cover art.

Nice. :) Glad a bit that it was released by GMA Video at least. PARAGON has the habit of having a DVD cover with the movie's title 'inverted' in the dvd spine.

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Dec 09, 2008 at 09:29 PM »
        Nice. :) Glad a bit that it was released by GMA Video at least. PARAGON has the habit of having a DVD cover with the movie's title 'inverted' in the dvd spine.

not only that, kubrador cover is larger than the actual dvd case. i had to cut off the cover so that it'd look better in its case than having it folded the way they did.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Dec 10, 2008 at 01:56 AM »
not only that, kubrador cover is larger than the actual dvd case. i had to cut off the cover so that it'd look better in its case than having it folded the way they did.

Some other DVDs I've seen are also guilty of having oversize DVD cover that crimpled the paper. What if buyers' (too) meticulous like me? ;D

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 02:33 AM »
ploning is in widescreen on dvd. dvd case is not the sturdy amaray ones. ang lambot ng case na para bang pang-piratang case.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 01:24 PM »
Juday learns from her Oscar nod search

By Ruben V. Nepales
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 00:03:00 12/21/2008

Judy Ann Santos was tired and jet lagged when she and her entourage arrived for our interview with her.

But as soon as she sat down in a conference room with a sweeping view of west Los Angeles and beyond, the actress perked up, no doubt energized by her determination to campaign hard for her film, “Ploning,” the Philippines’ entry in the Academy’s Best Foreign Language Film race, to make it to the nine-film shortlist and then to the five-film nominees list.

We congratulated Dante Nico Garcia (looking just as sleepy), who just won Best Director for “Ploning” at the Asian Festival of First Films in Singapore, from where he flew to LA the night before so he can attend “Ploning’s” key screenings with Judy Ann.

When we asked Judy Ann to comment about Dante’s Singapore win, she welled up with pride: “Iyak ako nang iyak kasi proud na proud ako sa kanya. Some think that he’s not a serious director but he won this award. Up pa ang energy namin. I told him, ‘Hey, director na director ka na.’”

Concerted effort

We’ve never seen such a concerted effort to push a Philippine entry in the Oscars. Judy Ann and Dante’s enthusiasm, matched by co-producer Guia Gonzales’ impressive organizational skills, is remarkable.

“Masyado ang pagtitiwala ko sa pelikula,” Juday answered when we asked why she was so passionate about pushing “Ploning” in the Academy race. She has the title role in the movie beautifully shot in Dante’s hometown, Cuyo, in Palawan. “I am really proud na may talent ang kaibigan ko na hindi niya inexplore.” She added, “Kung bitbit mo naman ang pangalan ng Pilipinas, bakit hindi?”

The Oscar race is an extremely hard one to crack, of course. Landing a nomination, to begin with, is a hurdle. And, unfortunately, more and more contenders are launching expensive Oscar campaigns, which include ads in the major US newspapers and in the film trade publications like Variety and the Hollywood Reporter, cocktail receptions and other marketing tools. It also takes a lot of money to hold as many screenings as possible to reach a lot of Academy voters.

Not to mention the competition — “Ploning’s” rivals include prestigious film festival winners, critically acclaimed movies and films directed by name filmmakers.

Novel fundraising

“Mahirap pala, pero nai-enjoy ko ang experience,” she said with a smile. The actress has resorted to novel fundraising events like “Damit Para Kay Ploning” and “Plato Para Kay Ploning” to help raise money for “Ploning’s” Oscar campaign.

Judy Ann has even approached corporations. “Kaya ko palang makiusap sa mga kompanya,” she said. “Hard work—talagang big time. Hindi naman kasama sa resume ko na humingi ng tulong but I want them to feel na seryoso ako tungkol dito.” She exulted in gaining “so many friends” as a result of her fundraising efforts, and how rival networks ABS-CBN and GMA 7 supported her drive in unity.

“Hindi ko akalain na susuportahan kami ng maraming artists,” the former child actress admitted.

“Pumasok man o hindi (sa Oscar nominations), ang important may ginawa kami,” Judy Ann declared. While she may be campaigning hard, her expectations have been kept to a realistic level by her fianceé, actor-TV host Ryan Agoncillo. She related, “Si Ryan sinabihan din ako. Sabi niya, ‘Don’t expect too much.’ ” Win or lose, Judy Ann, Guia and Dante are learning some valuable lessons that they can pass on to folks behind future Philippine Oscar entries.

Ryan also psyched her for the rejection and backlash, especially with regard to her fundraising efforts. She said, “He also told me, ‘Some people will say no to you. Just remember that you are doing this as a producer, not as an actress.’ So I prepared myself for the fact that some people will say no to me. I will face my detractors who ask, ‘Bakit ako tinulungan ng government e there are many people going hungry in the Philippines?”

The 30-year-old decried the “crab mentality” of some Filipinos. “I didn’t get mad anymore,” she said. “I felt sorry for them. I thought, ‘Grow up.’”

For sure, not many folks behind movies in the running for the Best Foreign Language Film collected clothes and cooked gourmet dinners to raise money for their Academy campaigns. “Damit Para Kay Ploning” started from an idea to “approach my friends para maka-start to ask for their things. Kasi kami, ginagamit namin yung mga special na damit minsan lang, o dahil out of style or out of fashion na. Nagpulong-pulong ako with my friends, invited and explained to them why I am doing a fundraising. We waited for Guia to come back from the US to tell them what was needed. Next day, nag-networking na sila—masayang dinner, we had a reason to get together, update sa mga nangyayari sa aming buhay—and then the clothes started coming in.”

For “Plato Para Kay Ploning,” she happily donned her chef uniform and gave vent to her other passion—cooking while raising money at the same time. “Nagluto ako nang dalawang gabi,” she reported. There was also an auction of 56 works by Filipino artists. “I met with the artists,” she recounted. “I explained to them—kasi gusto ko artists din ang partner namin sa ‘Plato.’ Since ‘Ploning’ is gawa ng Pilipino, gusto ko gawa din ng Pilipino ang i-auction. With God’s will, nagawa ang lahat ng ito para kay ‘Ploning.’ Buong industriya nagsama-sama.”

Judy Ann stressed that she is making sure that the money raised is being spent properly. “We sought the advice of people.” She quipped, in reference to her tax evasion case, “Ayaw ko na ng kaso—dalawang kaso lang ang kaya ko.”

They hired Murray Weissman, who is considered “one of the deans of Oscar campaigning,” to run “Ploning’s” campaign. Murray helped engineer the upset victory of “Crash” over “Brokeback Mountain” as Oscar’s Best Picture in 2006. We’ve seen several half-page “For Your Consideration” ads of the film in Variety.

Passionate cook

We told Judy Ann it was refreshing to see photos of a star like her in a chef uniform, toque and pants, and obviously relishing cooking. “Pareho ang magulang ko na magaling magluto,” explained Judy Ann, who has an adopted daughter. “Bata pa ako tumutulong na ako. Nakikisabay ako sa service ng catering.” She said the sight of “chicken curry at tinola,” which were the family’s catering staples, triggers fond memories.

How passionate is she about cooking? “Binili ko ang buong klase para maka-adjust sila sa akin—two months every single day, I went to school. I woke up at 7 a.m., tapos 9 to 9 ’yung classes.”

“Ganito pala ang graduation,” she said about her exhilaration upon finishing the course where she graduated with distinction.

Whatever the outcome of Judy Ann’s Oscar campaign is, one sure thing is that filmgoers are suddenly very curious about the film’s lovely setting, Cuyo. From talking to a Cuyonon like Dante and from Judy Ann’s rave about the inhabitants of the island, we got the impression that the folks there are also its asset.

Judy Ann, who learned to deliver her lines in Cuyonon in the film, said, “Nakakatuwa sila—magalang, hindi ka kukulitin. Sa shooting, they said good morning. They do not harass. Malambing sila. Nung natapos ang pelikula, marami akong naging anak-anakan. The Cuyonons are pure of heart, with a rich culture. I went back there during their fiesta. I realized, buti pa ang Cuyo na-maintain nila ang culture nila. Noong inadopt nila ako, I was overwhelmed because I don’t have a province. Nakakatuwang isipin that after having fun shooting in Cuyo, siya na ngayon ang probinsya ko. I want to learn the dialect all over again para may alam ako aside from Tagalog na gusto kong matutunan din ng anak ko.”

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jan 04, 2009 at 06:19 AM »
Ploning

Bought the DVD from Manila. Although far from being perfect (the narrative is a bit confusing and lacks cohesion), it's one of the great Filipino movies I've seen recently.  Excellently acted by all the cast especially by Judy Ann (think of Nora in Himala but without the climactic scene) and the kid in the movie. It's also nice that they were talking in the local dialect (I'm just imagining that Oro, Plata, Mata would have been even more effective if they've used the local dialect).  It's also very well photographed.  I think that this will be a future Filipino classic.  Too bad the DVD didn't include English subtitles.

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2009 at 06:37 AM by rse »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 06:24 AM »
Looks like Ploning's bid for an Oscar nomination has ended. The nine shortlisted films are:

"The Class"
"Waltz With Bashir"
"Revanche"
"The Necessities of Life"
"The Baader Meinhof Complex"
"Departures"
"Tear This Heart Out"
"Everlasting Moments"
"3 Monkeys"

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 12:35 PM »
I'm not surprised. There wasn't much buzz about it, I'm afraid. Maximo Oliveros couldn't get in and that was our biggest international hit (competed in Sundance, earned an Indie Spirit award nom).   

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 01:58 PM »
Looks like Ploning's bid for an Oscar nomination has ended. The nine shortlisted films are:

"The Class"
"Waltz With Bashir"
"Revanche"
"The Necessities of Life"
"The Baader Meinhof Complex"
"Departures"
"Tear This Heart Out"
"Everlasting Moments"
"3 Monkeys"

She did what she could and that's commendable enough.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #46 on: Jan 25, 2009 at 09:54 AM »
kudos to Juday though! i hope the film industry takes up the challenge and tries again next year.