Author Topic: Are Tagalog VCDs & DVDs worth buying?  (Read 30180 times)

Offline bochog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Are Tagalog VCDs & DVDs worth buying?
« on: Sep 24, 2001 at 11:37 PM »
:o
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2004 at 10:08 AM by ßa®tmaniac »

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
Re: Are tagalog dvd's worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2001 at 12:00 AM »
May I usher ya to the proper forum? :)

Pinoy DVD Discussion
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2001 at 02:43 AM »
Thanks Multi! You're so consciencious and helpful...

...you should consider becoming a moderator!  ;)

And on that note, locking this thread down. Hope you understand, we're trying to avoid duplicates and superfluous threads.  bochog, please re-post your question in the proper forum as indicated by moderator-elect MultipleAngles.   ;D
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
Moving thread.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2001 at 05:08 AM »
Let me move the thread first to the PinoyDVD forum and let Komikero decide if he should lock this or not.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2001 at 10:21 AM »
I think they should make it worth selling first. Better audio and video, more features and better titles.

Offline Garuda

• Collector
  • You give love a bad name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2001 at 07:00 PM »
Let me take it another step further. Perhaps, they should make it worthwhile to produce in the first place.

I would like to see some (a handful) of the olden greats of Philippines Cinema though. But with the lousy films they used, it wouldn't look any better than if it was on tape.

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2001 at 04:25 PM »
I'm not too sure. I think this topic may well be covered in this forum. It is after all, a discussion about Filipino DVDs which this forum is all about. What do you think?  ???

To answer your question Bochog, sorry this took so long. To be honest, I'm not sure. I haven't bought a single Pinoy DVD yet because the titles that have so far been released just don't appeal to me. I just might try one out if the price goes down just to see what the quality is like. Our local ACA doesn't carry rentals of these DVDs.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2001 at 08:21 AM »
I hope they will sell Pinoy DVDs at a lower price to encourage us to buy them.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2001 at 12:02 PM »

I hope they will sell Pinoy DVDs at a lower price to encourage us to buy them.

with the current filipino movies on dvd, even if they just sell it for 100 pesos i still won't bite. well maybe yung kay aga...paborits kasi ni missis...but will have to wait for more better titles than see half naked starlets running across the screen ;)
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2001 at 05:02 PM »

...but will have to wait for more better titles than see half naked starlets running across the screen ;)

Well, I wouldn't mind naked starlets running across the screen as long as it's something like Scorpio Nights with Anna Marie Gutierrez or Private Show with Jacklyn Jose.  ;D

Honestly though, pag bumaba ng 100 pesos ang mga DVD na yan, papakyawin ko. Para magawan ng review. O diba?

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2001 at 05:56 PM »
Kahit 500 pesos hihiritin ko na rin. :) Kaya siguro tumigil na sila sa paggawa ng DVD dahil hindi mabenta. Sayang, hindi nasuportahan ng mga DVD collectors. Ewan lang natin sa ibang bansa ha. Baka marami ring bumili roon. Ang akin kasi ay diyan ko pa ipinabibili.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline bochog

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 06:36 AM »
maybe with the like of jose rizal pwede pa. Pero with the dvd's out in the market...Nah!! ;D

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 04:42 PM »

Sayang, hindi nasuportahan ng mga DVD collectors.

It will be unfortunate if this is what the producers believe. Just because titles like Ekis or Warat or Linlang don't sell, baka isipin nila na hindi interesado ang mga Pinoy sa local movies on DVD. Sana magpunta sila dito sa forum natin for them to realize that it's their title selection that sucks.  If they put some of the more popular Filipino movies mentioned on this forum, tingnan natin kung hindi pakyawin yan.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 05:39 PM »

It will be unfortunate if this is what the producers believe. Just because titles like Ekis or Warat or Linlang don't sell, baka isipin nila na hindi interesado ang mga Pinoy sa local movies on DVD. Sana magpunta sila dito sa forum natin for them to realize that it's their title selection that sucks.  If they put some of the more popular Filipino movies mentioned on this forum, tingnan natin kung hindi pakyawin yan.

Ala bang marketing research ang mga studio companies? or quality controllers? Linlang, Ekis or Warat probably would sell coz people would be eager to try dvd. However, the transfer was poor, picture, sound and all. If there were no difference at all, why buy when you can rent the vhs/vcd? You won't have to buy a dvd player.

Technically, I believe Pinoys can do it. Tinatamad lang ang iba or nagtitipid by not hiring quality controllers to monitor the sound or picture quality. Baka they don't even conduct research what features to include or do test screenings with different audiences to find out if people would buy it.

The titles available are horrible. But even if they release the good Filipino films Pinoydvd members wanted, they will not make a profit since there's poor marketing campaign. Movie companies seem to be content in posters displayed in video rentals. You don't see a lot of ads on TV/magazines/newspapers announcing the arrival of the video in VHS, DVD or VCD. People are not really aware. You have to make the consumer aware that you have a good product out there. Malalaman mo na lang, meron ng copy ang video rentals ninyo doon sa may kanto.

Offline voodooh

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2001 at 09:08 PM »
i really want to see the old 50s and 60s black and white films...very nostalgic...not that buhay na ako noon pero i remember watching those movies on channel 9 during the afternoons when i was in grade school

may pagasa kayang ma-restore yung mga iyon?

Offline woodie520

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdie Partner!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2001 at 08:34 PM »
may pagasa kayang ma-restore yung mga iyon?

Oo nga no ... yung mga lumang pelikula ... mga tipong seven samurai ... marami rin kasing magaganda noon ... na sana maging DVDs din ..  :-/

woodie520  ;D

Offline Dog from OuTeR Space

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2002 at 07:40 AM »
now that the price dropped to 450, maybe it's now worth a second thought... hmmmm... that's why I bought the Deathrow DVD... ;D one of the few descent Pinoy films on DVD...  ;) at nandun pa si Idol Manoy ;D... at saka I felt a little amount of pride and joy in contributing even in just a small act, in the progress of Philippine economy! 8)

but then, sira ung disc... kaya ibabalik ko :( on second thought, with all these poor video-audio quality, booklet-less, sayang-lang-oras-ko at ibabalik ko pa bukas sa Megamall, tinarayan pa ko nung nakasagot sa phone sa Astrovision... are tagalog DVD's worth buyin???

Kiluminati2 8)

Offline ßartmaniac

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2002 at 04:51 AM »
Since the Filipino Viva titles are on Sale, I finally decided to buy a Pinoy DVD to add to my humble collection.

Soon as I saw Pangako...Ikaw Lang, I wanted to buy it since it a relatively new movie and the disc have features.  But wifey isn't interested. :(  She'd rather watch the comedy Pusong Mamon she said. I checked the back cover for features and noticed they put a sticker to cover the features listed there.  We asked the Video City people why is it so, and told us it was a misprint in the label. So despite that this title has NO feature (not even the FREEVIEW!) we decided to buy.  The sales attendant (friendly & courteous) told us that we can view a sample first to see the quality so we did.

Here's what we saw: the MENU contains (1)Chapter Selection (2)Subtitle and (3)Play Movie. The menu layout is simple (bordering on boring) while the chapter selections has moving video clips.  Upon seeing the Studio ID, we could see the scratches. Not a good sign.    Opening title,  scene with babies/toddlers, and we can still see some scratches. We went on to the actual movie and noticed that the color is too dull to be on DVD.  The first scene is daytime and outdoors and it looks gloomy and dusky. Compare HBO against CinemaOne for an actual sample. Obviously, the film wasn't remastered for the DVD release.  To think that we were viewing it on a small hangging monitor on the shop.

So are tagalog dvd's worth buying? All I can say is at Php450, we still didn't buy. :(  

Hope the recent releses (those with the VIVA 20th logo) are better.

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2002 at 09:17 AM »
on my case nabili ko na ung Deathrow kaso defective so bumalik ako kanina to replace it... medyo nagsisisi na tuloy ako kung bakit ko pa binili un ni wala man lang special features ni isa... tsk tsk tsk... heto papanoorin ko mayamaya o baka bukas na ung DVD...

Kiluminati2

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2002 at 11:01 AM »
I guess the price drop to 450 is not enough to make me want to buy Tagalog DVDs.  If they are still just VCD quality then I'd rather get the VCD which is way cheaper, 250 I think for the previous releases..(sigh) I really wanted to get DeathRow and Muro Ami... Maybe someday..

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2002 at 05:00 PM »
Wait a minute! :o I owned a couple of tagalog DVDs. And I'm happy with their video resolutions. :) Then, some are saying VCD quality pa lang ito. Na parang may magagawa pa silang improvement.  ???
 Ganito na ba kaganda ang resolution ng VCD? Sorry ha, hanggang karaoke VCD lang kasi ang ipinabibili ko kaya wala akong idea sa original movie vcd.
 Pero, sa mga ipinabili kong mga tagalog VCD noon ay hindi pa rin ako nasiyahan sa resolution. Then, itong DVD naman, ay kasing linaw na rin ng VHS na naarkila ko dito. ;D ;D ;D

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2002 at 11:08 PM »

Wait a minute! :o I owned a couple of tagalog DVDs. And I'm happy with their video resolutions. :) Then, some are saying VCD quality pa lang ito. Na parang may magagawa pa silang improvement.  ???
 Ganito na ba kaganda ang resolution ng VCD? Sorry ha, hanggang karaoke VCD lang kasi ang ipinabibili ko kaya wala akong idea sa original movie vcd.
 Pero, sa mga ipinabili kong mga tagalog VCD noon ay hindi pa rin ako nasiyahan sa resolution. Then, itong DVD naman, ay kasing linaw na rin ng VHS na naarkila ko dito. ;D ;D ;D

I think the video quality of these Pinoy DVDs are fairly better that their VCD counterparts but still not what we expect to have from a DVD... I guess wala na silang magagawa pang improvement since sa mga equipment pa lang in making the movie eh low tech na... I still haven't seen a Pinoy movie in DOLBY sound, or widescreen...

Kiluminati2 8)

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2002 at 02:39 AM »
:-/ :-/ :-/

To Answer a few:

1. Worth Buying - Fair enough to say "Yes", being dropped off from P850(when it was first release) then to P750 (same as American Titles) then P700 (Video City Price Drop) and to date P450 (Both Astro and Video City). Note: What would you prefer a brand new VCD worth P425 or this one???

2.Video Quality- Better than VCD but same quality as VHS.
Take note the improvement on Biyaheng Langit compare to its VCD counterpart

3.Sound - Ok but not Dolby quality

4.Special Features - Currently on the market all special features are a.)Behind the Scenes(usually chapter 10 on the chapter list) and b.)Language Caption

5.Packaging - Very Bad, What was mentioned on the back package does not match the inside (see example:Burlesk Queen and Kabit ni Mrs. Montero). No Manuals included

6. Censorship - As a consumer, I am very disappointed. Normally in US and other countries,DVD are meant to be the full unedited version or Unrated. To VRB - "Heads Up!!" better take this into consideration after what you have done heavily censoring "Burlesk Queen Ngayon" and "Unfaithful Wife 2" on DVD. VRB, you are so -INCONSISTENT- Why did you allow titles like Scorpion Nights2,Balahibong Pusa,Ekis,Biyaheng Langit,MadameX,Kabit ni Mrs Montero to be OK (To consumers: the six titles mentioned are worth buying!!)

7. Rentable - Not yet on major chains like Video City, only a few Video Shop does this. VIDEO CITY, take this into consideration
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2002 at 03:05 PM »
hmmmm. let me think! ???well, after ordering 6 dvds from
viva... here it goes:

1. Kailangan ko'y Ikaw: defective- did not work
2. Eto na Naman: umuulan ulan ng linya! grainy not a
                good copy!
3. Abandonada: makinis ng konte better than Eto na naman
              pwede na rin- may pagkadvd na rin! ;D
i still have 3 to see so stay tuned!

well, okay na rin dahil nasa disc na siya- pwede na
paulit ulit for the rest of your life without worrying
about aamagin!!! but of course it would be best if they
perfect naman! yun lang...

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2002 at 05:21 PM »

hmmmm. let me think! ???well, after ordering 6 dvds from
viva... here it goes:

1. Kailangan ko'y Ikaw: defective- did not work

Hi, Were you able to replace this?

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2002 at 09:46 AM »

Hi, Were you able to replace this?

I asked them to send me a new one, but viva says- all
of the "kailangan ko'y ikaw" might be defective, so
they say get a different one...so i re-order death row
na lang! nabitin pa tuloy ako sa "kailangan" :-/

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2002 at 08:29 PM »

6. Censorship - As a consumer, I am very disappointed. Normally in US and other countries,DVD are meant to be the full unedited version or Unrated. To VRB - "Heads Up!!" better take this into consideration after what you have done heavily censoring "Burlesk Queen Ngayon" and "Unfaithful Wife 2" on DVD. VRB, you are so -INCONSISTENT- Why did you allow titles like Scorpion Nights2,Balahibong Pusa,Ekis,Biyaheng Langit,MadameX,Kabit ni Mrs Montero to be OK (To consumers: the six titles mentioned are worth buying!!)

Take note that the titles you mentioned as worth buying were released before there were a new set of VRB officers so we can say that the previous set were more permissive compared to the current sent when BQN and UW2 where produced for DVD.

Might as well buy Balahibong Pusa.  ;D

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2002 at 10:17 PM »

Take note that the titles you mentioned as worth buying were released before there were a new set of VRB officers so we can say that the previous set were more permissive compared to the current sent when BQN and UW2 where produced for DVD.

Nice input Viper, It helps me understand and whom not to blame. :)

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Mar 07, 2002 at 01:51 AM »

I asked them to send me a new one, but viva says- all
of the "kailangan ko'y ikaw" might be defective, so
they say get a different one...so i re-order death row
na lang! nabitin pa tuloy ako sa "kailangan" :-/

I am not sure what specific thread here, but I heard that there was also a problem on Deathrow DVD..

But howcome Balahibong Pusa & Madame X were OK

Both were the same or even later released from BQ & UW2

RidgeRacer

« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2002 at 10:41 AM »
Even at P450, there really is not much choice for collecting or entertainment. Look at the selection of Pinoy movies, lots of pathetic romantic comedies (Kailangan Ko'y Ikaw anyone?), ugly looking action flicks, too many bold movies, etc.

Even if the price goes down to P200, I'm still not convinced. I may sound unpatriotic but my view is this...I'm a very hard DVD collector to satisfy, especially when it comes to Tagalog films.

A Jose Rizal DVD would be a convincing purchase, especially if it features a lot of extras and stuff.